Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Be wary of the wolf, for now.

I want to be able to [barely] see even more terrors! Eagle Eye .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Trust the wolf and eat shrooms, this guy could do with some drugs.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Trust the wolf: He seems like good people, just doing his thing, y'know?

Eagle eye: As nice as mushroom healing might be, I think that burning xp for health is a losing proposition in the long term.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Distrust wolf. He refuses to share weaponry freely without telling us to jump through his hoops. He didn't ask for remuneration, just hoop-jumping.

Also Eagle eye

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

• 00:25 The mushroom book is from 1928. Around the same time as the medic's magazine.
  • 02:05 The scribble on the photo does read "the road home".
  • 04:10 The Polish subtitle reads: "Oh no, I'm blind! Probably because the following combination is only known to those who paid for the indiegogo campaign for the game". Pretty good ;)
  • 13:09 The magazine is from 1987 and the game says it's the current year. Interesting that the other books were much older. Also the Polish title "Motor" is translated as "Motorcycle" which is correct, but I'd translate it to "Engine" (also correct, slightly dated meaning). Curiously this periodical is printed to this day.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Trust the Wolf
Mushroom Healing

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That nagging sense of disquiet and unease isn't going to go away.

Distrust wolf-thing

Eat-devour the mushrooms and heal!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Trust the wolf. I'm sure this hideous creature with what looks like a fresh bullet hole in his jacket has our best interests at heart

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

we should work with the wolf man because there are absolutely no red flags about this at all

we should also have eagle eyes, because well, that'd be pretty neat

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I was so mad when you killed the first dog and so excited when the next episode had a second dog barking and then you killed that dog and so many further dogs. Basically if you pick options that lead to the death of a dog in a hoodie we are going to have a real problem.

work with the wolf and eagle eyes

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Explosions posted:

I was so mad when you killed the first dog and so excited when the next episode had a second dog barking and then you killed that dog and so many further dogs. Basically if you pick options that lead to the death of a dog in a hoodie we are going to have a real problem.

work with the wolf and eagle eyes

That's not a dog in that hoodie, it's a wolf. Do not confuse the two. The woods change things but a few remain the same. Do not confuse the two

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
All these folks howling about how these pupperoni are just lookin for kisses are gonna look real foolish when 30-50 feral dogs come looking for an easy meal. Just saying.

Anyway

Mushroom Healing seems like it'd be prudent down the line cause I get the feeling Darkwood is not going to allow us to keep our Perfect Zone of Ultimate Safety

Distrust Wolf because there's something I don't like about him. Maybe it's the hoodie. Or the casually slung assault rifle. Or the supercilious attitude. Nothing is as it seems here

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Explosions posted:

Basically if you pick options that lead to the death of a dog in a hoodie we are going to have a real problem.

Oh, so Explosions likes the wolf, huh?

Does the wolf like... explosions?

(No, this isn't canon. We're TRUSTING the wolf for now.)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Besties with Wolf Man and Eagle Eyes because more/wider vision can only be a boon in this kind of game.

I'm fully expecting it to give us hallucinations or see things that aren't there, too, but that just makes it more fun!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

trust the wolfman

eagle eyes

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Sorry for the mid-stream name change (and thanks nine-gear-crow!) but I was discussing the game with Skippy Granola, used this term to describe the game, and it’s too good to not use.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So it looks like we're going to TRUST THE WOLFMAN, SORTA (please ignore the previous video), and take EAGLE EYE, and later MUSHROOM HEALING.

We have a goal, which is to break out of the DRY MEADOW and into the SILENT FOREST.

But we're just some nerd with a board right now. We need to PREPARE. And have WEIRD DREAMS. This video will (mostly!) complete our dealings in area one - it's more edited, but everything I cut out was just me walkin'. Enjoy the manifold delights:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wedding will be so much fun

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The fact that the protagonist can only see 90 degrees weird me out. Eye condition?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Bacter posted:

Sorry for the mid-stream name change (and thanks nine-gear-crow!) but I was discussing the game with Skippy Granola, used this term to describe the game, and it’s too good to not use.

:allears: It's magical and perfect in every way.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

More useless trivia:

• 15:35 The postage stamp features Yuri Gagarin. It says The first flight of man into space. At first I thought it's Mirosław Hermaszewski, the only Polish citizen to date that went to space, but alas.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think you should stop injecting meatshrooms.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

The Lone Badger posted:

I think you should stop injecting meatshrooms.

Nah, it's fine, what's the harm anyway?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I'm shocked dying at night doesn't game over you.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it makes you pass out and the Trader comes by and draws funny stuff on your face and that prevents you from earning any reputation

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's what difficulties change. on hard you have 4-5 lives and on hardcore you lose if you die once.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Honestly the “real” experience should be nightmare or hard. It’s tough to feel as paranoid as you ought to when you’ll always just survive.

I picked normal because, for LP pacing reasons, I wasn’t going to restart every time I died, and I don’t want to be deceptive and like keep a secret backup save.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if you pass out, mort wakes from his slumber and kicks the monsters in their vulnerable sacks, wherever they may be

he gets all the rep and you don't

and he uses that rep to read the Trader's stash of anime comics

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The Trader's stash of what?

Bastard's been holding out on us! :argh: Those manga could inspire us how to survive better! Alternately, make us thankful Junji Ito didn't make the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh man, an LP of Darkwood. Excited for this one.

I tried playing it myself but the crafting/maintenance mechanics and the tiny inventories just felt much too punishing for my patience.

I forget, when you die on normal, do you lose your inventory/get your skills reset? I seem to remember that happened at least in one of the beta versions.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You drop half your stuff (which you can then go recover where your body was!) and don't get reputation for surviving the day/night.

But we've got BIGGER FISH TO FRY right now, folks! Let's get the wedding over with, and then GET OUT OF TOWN! That's right - it's time for area 2, and the, heh, oh, the difficulty spike.

But we have justice on our side, and, SIGNIFICANTLY more importantly, BEAR TRAPS.

I'm gonna go see wolfie after this is done (next video), but we'll have really three directions we could go from there, and I need consensus! Do we:

progress farther along Wolfe’s quest

Go see this "Piotrek", whose house was marked on our map

or

Explore around a little more - we should collect resources / get the lay of the land first

As always, don't feel the need to spoilertag your votes, I just put them here so people can watch the video first.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 14, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Holy crap, I've never seen this new guy like ever.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Maybe it's just me, but of all the messed up poo poo in this game, beading a chained up dog to death feels like one of the worst. The bride glitching out at the end I almost thought was intentional though. The sudden vanishing makes you wonder if it was real or imagined.

Also, a vote for exploration. You want to get the lay of the land before you start trying to make friends, or maybe enemies.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Let’s follow up with the Wolfie. He seems to be a totally stable and reliable guy. I can’t see what would go wrong following his advice :v:.

In all seriousness, this game is awesome and really is good at pulling you into its atmosphere and putting you into an unsettled, twitchy state. Always love your LPs Bacter!

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Collect more stuff so you can barely survive yet another terrifying night.
We gotta keep moving to new horrors, right? I'm gonna miss glove guy, our trader pal from the earlier area...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Considering the hoops it otherwise makes you jump through, Bike Guy actually offering a useful quality-of-life service was a surprise to me.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I’ll say this in praise of the game: it definitely wants to be hard, but it doesn’t want to be cheesy hard. having to go back for the rest of your stuff wouldn’t be an extra challenge, it would just be an annoying half of a day. The game does an awful lot to drive you forward, just about as hard as it can. by the time you feel comfortable in a place, you’re already running out of resources. this is especially true now, as you can see, we can’t even count on the windows and doors that we spent nails and boards barricading the last through the night!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We absolutely want to get our bearings and stock up on supplies before doing anything specific. If we don't have even a slight surplus of supplies, a doomed expedition will cost us greatly.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Piotrek, because I like his name. It's very Polish.

Also, that last night was super stressful! This is absolutely a game I love seeing, but wouldn't be able to play myself at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That glitch sucked. If you hadn't mentioned it I would've thought it was intentional. I guess you can't really restart a day over.

I'll vote for Explorin' but I refuse to take the blame if it goes horribly wrong.