Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Research:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2086518

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/ph...96-4e095efd8ea2

Apparently, this is a division rivalry and there is much interest around the storylines of this game. Something about a very exciting QB in Atlanta with a bright, long future ahead of him as long as he doesn't do something monumentally stupid off the field, and a strong Saints franchise with a chance to win multiple Super Bowls as long as they are not derailed by some stupid, mostly irrelevant scandal based on something everybody's doing.

Here's to hoping this game is memorable enough to memorialize in some fashion, perhaps right in front of the Superdome.

Airs on ESPN at 8PM Easter, 7 PM in God's time zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Previews from the Atlanta side:

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...-2006-hate-week

Set down your Motorola Razrs - we’re back again this year with our Interview with the Enemy series. This week, Evan Birchfield of The Falcoholic answers 5 quick questions before the Week 13 matchup on later tonight: the New Orleans Saints returning to the Dome for the first time in over a year.

The Atlanta Falcons are riding high at 2-0 as they get ready to travel to the Louisiana Super Dome. What are the expectations for the team this year?

Obviously we’d like to see the team improve on last year’s 8-8 finish. A lot of that depends on whether or not Michael Vick can stay healthy and on the field. It does feel good to be sitting at 2-0, and looking at the rest of the schedule, I’m hoping for a 9-7 finish at worst. Whether that will be good enough to win the division or lock up a Wild Card spot remains to be seen, but I would feel good about having improved upon last year’s .500 finish.

Atlanta seems to have an advantage against New Orleans with a coach and quarterback pair in Jim Mora, Jr. and Michael Vick that look like they could stick around together for a decade. What makes them work so well together?

I think what’s helping is Jim Mora, Jr. is allowing Michael Vick to do his own thing. I really enjoyed Dan Reeves as head coach, and he brought us our most success in franchise history, but Vick is a rare talent that can’t be guided in the same sort of direction of pocket passing that Reeves has coached in recent years. Mora is allowing Vick to be Vick.

Y’all have one of the best special teams players in Saints - and NFL - history in Morten Andersen. How do you think special teams could affect Monday night’s game?

I mean, he’s 46 but he can still kick with the best of them. He’s a legendary kicker that will hopefully be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame some day, and it never hurts to have a guy of that caliber making kicks for you, regardless of age. With that being said, this is his first time kicking this season, we don’t know if he’s exactly the same Morten Andersen from years past. It’s pretty up in the air at this point.

I’ll be shocked if Roddy White isn’t the best wide receiver in Atlanta Falcons history when all is said and done. How can New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs try to contain him? Should we just offer to pay the Saints player who tackles him the hardest?

Yeah, we are very excited to see what Roddy White does in the upcoming years. This is only his second season, but he was a first-round pick last year out of a small school who has yet to really produce. He has two receptions this season, so hopefully he turns things around this week.

What are your predictions for the game? Who wins? Final score?

We’re 2-0, but obviously that means nothing in these rivalry games. Not to mention, the Saints have a ton of energy coming into this matchup, and I imagine they’ll want to play all out for the home crowd. But I’m going to lean Falcons 17, Saints 14 in a close one.I just hope for an evenly officiated game.

Thank-you, Evan, for taking the time to answer our questions. Saints fans, make sure you check out Evan and the work his guys are doing over at The Falcoholic. You can follow The Falcoholic on MySpace at their page, TheFalcoholic, and Evan at his page, EvanBirchfield.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Saints rookies preview:

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...marques-colston

It’s rivalry week, boys and girls—and better yet, it’s Homecoming week.

It’s safe to say that the Saints are rearin’ and ready to go at the prospect of getting back into the dome. A long, hard road to get back to pseudo-normal, finally coming to an end. The exile is, at least for the Saints, over. We’ve got our Saints, back in New Orleans.

It’s safe to say that the season has started well, after stealing games at Cleveland and in one of the game’s toughest environments in Green Bay—but it’s time to get down to business, by bringing back the loudest stadium we all know and love: the Superdome.

With the Falcons coming to town, eyes all around the world will be locked on to the divisional rivalry’s newest matchup as we’ll see the home debuts of the likes of Head Coach Sean Payton, QB Drew Brees, and several others as they make their true home debuts, experiencing the Superdome as Saints for the first time.

There’s no doubt that the game will be one of the most intense the franchise has ever seen, with the likes of Michael Vick and the Dirty Birds coming into town. After last year’s tough season, the Saints have an opportunity to put the football world on notice with a win at home.

If the Saints are going to win this game and continue their hot start to the season, much of the attention will fall on those mentioned above, but what shouldn’t be ignored is the ranks of rookies that the Saints have brought in since their last game in New Orleans.

Let’s get a rookie preview ahead of this week’s game against Atlanta.
Reggie Bush, Running Back

At the forefront of this Saints rookie report, naturally, comes the Saints No. 2 overall pick. Seemingly delivered on a black and gold trey to the Saints at No. 1 with Houston taking Mario Williams first overall, Bush has been a solid contributor in the passing game, but not so much the rushing game.

In this season’s first two games, Bush has collected a meager 72 yards on 21 attempts, just over 3.4 yards per carry. However, on the flip side of that, he’s established himself as nice target for fellow-Superdome-first-timer Drew Brees, grabbing 15 receptions for 120 yards. Not exactly giant numbers, but he’s been able to open up opportunities for McAllister well.

Bush’s highlight in his first three regular season games has been a combination of smooth jukes and a 23-yard catch against Green Bay.

There wouldn’t be a better time for a coming-out game for the young rookie than his first game at home in front of what will be a raucous Louisiana Superdome crowd. We’ll see what he can do when pushed on by the black and gold faithful going forward.

Roman Harper, Safety

Since being taken in the second round of this year’s NFL Draft, Harper has been solid at the safety position in the early-goings for the Saints.

Acquired after the Saints traded back with Cleveland and added Jeff Faine at the center spot, they picked up the No. 43 pick and selected Harper, who already on the young season has one pass defended, to pair with 12 total tackles, 11 of them coming in solo efforts.

Anytime that you are going up against an offense led by one of the game’s most electric playmakers in Michael Vick, it’s going to be a dog fight that you need all of your most athletic playmakers involved in. If Harper can continue to be solid in coverage against one of his new team’s most-bitter rivals in the side’s return to the Dome, he’ll continue to make waves as a key member of this Saints defense.

Jahri Evans

Evans has been another solid contributor. A fourth round draft pick for the Saints from the small school of Bloomsburg, the expectations for such an unknown, taken at a relatively high pick, run high along with the questions. Evans was seen, at least by most, as a developmental prospect. Still, however, Evans has started all season so far at the guard spot, and seems to be adjusting well. We’ll see if he can keep that up against a Falcons line that already has four sacks on the young season.

Marques Colston

A surprise candidate to get his own subcategory for our purposes, Marques Colston has already stood out, catching two touchdown passes on the young season from Drew Brees, including a crucial grab for six points in the tightly-gutted-out win over the Cleveland Browns, in which Brees passing looked surely limited coming into his first regular season game back from surgery.

Though the seventh-rounder isn’t expected to do anything that monumental this early into his NFL career based on where he was drafted out of Hofstra for this season, if he can keep that kind of pace up he may well be on his way to being a core member of this Saints offense, and a favored weapon for Brees. Let’s see how he matches up against this Atlanta secondary.

The Rest

Rob Ninkovich would have been another name amongst the rookie core going forward in a rotation with Will Smith and Charles Grant after an impressive pre-season—but all signs indicate him out for the majority, if not the remainder of the year with injury. Late round selections like Mike Hass and Josh Lay will, naturally, look to play minor parts in this game, and the season. Zach Strief likely continues as a backup, barring injuries on the offensive line.

Tune back in next week as we recap the rookie performance and preview the next game.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Summing up:

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2020/4/4/21206405/saints-still-in-bottom-half-of-espns-2006-week-3-power-rankings-domecoming-reairing

It’s obviously been a rough year for the New Orleans Saints, the city of New Orleans, and the entire Gulf Coast region. But just like the area, the New Orleans Saints appear to be turning a corner and heading into the right direction.

ESPN had the Saints ranked 29th (out of 32 teams) before heading into Week 1 of the 2006 NFL season. Before Week 2, ESPN moved the Saints up five spots to 24th, saying this about the team’s performance 19-14 victory over the Cleveland Browns: “Thirty-six carries for 151 yards between Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush. The Saints will take that every week.” After beating Green Bay Packers 34-27, ESPN moved the Saints up seven more spots to 17th overall:

Yes, it’s just a football game, but it should be some scene Monday when the Saints host the Falcons in their first game back in New Orleans.

The Saints’ opponent for their much-anticipated return to the Louisiana Super Dome is the division rival Atlanta Falcons, ranked 5th overall in the NFL according to ESPN’s Week 3 Power Rankings:

The Falcons have rushed for an astounding 558 yards in two games, gaining 6.1 yards per carry. Their 558 yards are more than the bottom five rushing teams (TB, Det., Oak., Mia. And Ten.) have combined.

The Saints will clearly have an uphill battle Monday night against one of the NFL’s best in the Atlanta Falcons.

This year has seen the birth of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s first child (and they will certainly stay together forever, right?). Hopefully 2006 can also see a re-birth, if you will, of the New Orleans Saints.

But it starts against the Falcons.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Katrina was pretty awful for me. My parents didn't want to leave town, but I more or less made them evacutate Sunday before the storm hit. We went to my brother's place up on the northshore, but we didn't go far enough. 3 trees landed on our car, and we were stuck in an all electric house. No flushing toilet, no running water, no way to cook, and we were gripped in a pretty severe post storm heatwave. One of the things that will always stay with me is listening to the radio during the storm and hearing people calling into WWL during the storm and begging for help from inside their attics as the water was rising.

Other, worse things happened to me later, but I'm not going to talk about that here, ever.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Waiting for it and of course it's some bullshit about Peyton Manning interviewing Joe Montana about his comebacks

The first was them coming back from like 4 TDs and beating Peyton's dad, leading to decades of legendary Saints chokejobs.

The second was that goddamn Bengals Super Bowl that cost me $10 I didn't have in 8th grade, where I had to filch a roll of laundry quarters from my sister just to pay people off.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sorry

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ok I re-read the old thread and forgot how really really bad the pregame was

so, maybe wait till 7:30 to tune in

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Seeing Morten Andersen on the Falcons is still :argh:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Disability fraud or no, I do kinda miss Joe Horn

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Forgot Bush Sr. was at the game.

Everybody knows that RONALD WILSON REAGAN is an anagram for INSANE ANGLO WARLORD, but did you know that GEORGE HERBERT WALKER BUSH is an anagram for HUGE BERSERK REBEL WARTHOG

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
is this on tv or something. im confused

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
By the way, :discourse: on the GDT start.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
My ancticipation for this punt block brings be back 15 years. One year after cleaning out my family's house. Thinking there was no way they could lose this loving game. I was still displaced and had a huge party in Chicago. We went wild.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Play posted:

is this on tv or something. im confused

Serious answer, yes. ESPN right now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I wasn't there but I hear it was the loudest it's ever been this night, maybe even moreso than the NFC Championship.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Warrick Dunn, the only good Falcon.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Warrick Dunn, the only good Falcon.

New Orleans' own. Only reason.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

I remember being so upset with the missed fumble. Can't wait what's next.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
BLOCKED!!!!

TOUCHDOWN SAINTS!!!!!!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

oh god I forgot this is Kornheiser's year at OH HOLKY gently caress BLOCKED PUNT

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

P.S. donate to Team Gleason.

https://teamgleason.org/donate/

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Who was that guy who blocked the punt, need to keep an eye on that guy.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Payton looks so drat young.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Listening to Theismann reminds me of what used to be considered acceptable football commentary from former NFC East Pro Bowl QBs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ashley Lelie isn't a name I've heard in years.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I think that Alge Crumpler drop was the one that irrevocably broke Lloyd Christmas.

e- ahahaha no wait, it was THAT Alge Crumpler drop

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Wow this game is so old that Roman Harper was a rookie.

Wonder if he had the gray hair.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Morten no :sad:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

First Brees dome pass coming up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hey GD, how has your list changed in 14 years?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2086518&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post315606542

quote:

To me it's:

1. Archie Manning
2. Willie Roaf
3. Rickey Jackson
4. Morten Anderson
5. Sam Mills
6. Joe Horn
7. Sam Mills
8. Pat Swilling

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hmmm. With the benefit of time:

1. Brees
2. Morten Andersen
3. Marques Colston
4. Rickey Jackson
5 Archie Manning
6 Willie Roaf
7 Sam Mills
8 Joe Horn
9 Cam Jordan
10 Deuce McAllister

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Aw isn't it cute. This is from when they were still making excuses about why Reggie Bush can't run.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I was only 9 when this happened so this is my first time really being able to actually watch it and hell yeah this owns

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

Aw isn't it cute. This is from when they were still making excuses about why Reggie Bush can't run.

How many times did we scream RUN FORWARD REGGIE

It took until the 2009 Arizona game.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I know Michael Thomas is really a better WR in every way, but man do I miss prime-era reliable 1st down Marques Colston.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

Hmmm. With the benefit of time:

1. Brees
2. Morten Andersen
3. Marques Colston
4. Rickey Jackson
5 Archie Manning
6 Willie Roaf
7 Sam Mills
8 Joe Horn
9 Cam Jordan
10 Deuce McAllister

I want to sneak Lance Moore and Michael Thomas somewhere on your list.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

I know Michael Thomas is really a better WR in every way, but man do I miss prime-era reliable 1st down Marques Colston.

It's a travesty that he never made a Pro Bowl.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

I want to sneak Lance Moore and Michael Thomas somewhere on your list.

Lance Moore's in the teens and I just can't put MT up there yet. No idea where he'll slot in eventually.

I completely forgot about this double reverse TD with Brees throwing a cut block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh my god you want me to watch a game called by Joe Theismann you monster.

And I'm going to do it...gently caress.