Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Seriously considering following through on the usual temper tantrum threat of leaving the United Sharts if when my Bernie or Bust toxx makes me cough up :10bux:. I have no children or SO, my friends aren't brain-poisoned by US politics and have thus decided to stick it out and lead their own lives, and I have no interest in speaking to my shitheaded right-wing family for the forseeable future. I figure if I'm going to be alone, miserable and cold (I live in Michigan) I might as well do it in a place where I can eventually get single-payer.

Are there any former Amerigoons who have gone through this process and would like to share their experience/give advice? Any Canadians who want to yell at me to stay out offer their thoughts?

Other relevant info: I'm 33 in about 6 months, I have a Bachlor's in Comp Sci and I do the coding for a living.

olives black fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Sounds like you'd be aiming for "express entry" as a skilled worker; take a look at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ed-workers.html and see how many points you can get.

Big picture one of the things that helps most is having a job offer - from friends I know that have immigrated here, having a company that does this regularly helps a bunch. So open up feelers for tech companies that hire foreigners and be prepared to have lower pay than you would in the US.

Also - if you have any chronic medical conditions know that the government counts that against you when deciding whether to take you or not. (Basically they're running the economic numbers here).

Edit: oh and this is oddly specific, but know that if you do immigrate count on hiring an accountant to do your taxes for the rest of your life, you'd have to file both a US and Canada tax return and there are lots of ways to gently caress that up.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 8, 2020

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Trapick posted:

Sounds like you'd be aiming for "express entry" as a skilled worker; take a look at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ed-workers.html and see how many points you can get.

Big picture one of the things that helps most is having a job offer - from friends I know that have immigrated here, having a company that does this regularly helps a bunch. So open up feelers for tech companies that hire foreigners and be prepared to have lower pay than you would in the US.

Also - if you have any chronic medical conditions know that the government counts that against you when deciding whether to take you or not. (Basically they're running the economic numbers here).

Edit: oh and this is oddly specific, but know that if you do immigrate count on hiring an accountant to do your taxes for the rest of your life, you'd have to file both a US and Canada tax return and there are lots of ways to gently caress that up.

Cool, I'll read that.

Also, if things work out for me in Canada and I get citizenship I'll probably renounce my US citizenship.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

olives black posted:

Also, if things work out for me in Canada and I get citizenship I'll probably renounce my US citizenship.

This is not easy to do. Boris Johnson was born in the US, never spent much time here, and it still took him years to lose his citizenship (and he was much more motivated than you since this was relevant to his livelihood).

You should consider the possibility that it may be too difficult and costly for you to do so.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

twerking on the railroad posted:

This is not easy to do. Boris Johnson was born in the US, never spent much time here, and it still took him years to lose his citizenship (and he was much more motivated than you since this was relevant to his livelihood).

You should consider the possibility that it may be too difficult and costly for you to do so.

Well that's a bummer. Figured it was just $2,350 and some self-flagellation in front of a horny Border Patrol agent.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Dude, Just go to mexico. Better food, better beaches, tequila, cheaper cost of living and there is no bullshit snow.
gently caress canada

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Applesnots posted:

Dude, Just go to mexico. Better food, better beaches, tequila, cheaper cost of living and there is no bullshit snow.
gently caress canada

I have lived in Michigan for too long. If there isn't a constant drip of low-grade cold-induced misery then I will reject the simulation

olives black fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 10, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

olives black posted:

Well that's a bummer. Figured it was just $2,350 and some self-flagellation in front of a horny Border Patrol agent.

You have to do it at an embassy or consulate outside the US. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Renunciation-US-Nationality-Abroad.html

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Doesn't look that hard :confused:

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The hard part isn't the act of saying "I renounce the United States and all its works and all its pomps", it's everything else you have to do before they'll let you get that far. You have to be a citizen of another country, be current on your US tax returns for five years, pay or prove you don't owe exit taxes, prove you're not avoiding prosecution, etc. Probably not worth it unless you're a rich rear end in a top hat who doesn't have any reason to visit the US ever again.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

lavaca posted:

The hard part isn't the act of saying "I renounce the United States and all its works and all its pomps", it's everything else you have to do before they'll let you get that far. You have to be a citizen of another country, be current on your US tax returns for five years, pay or prove you don't owe exit taxes, prove you're not avoiding prosecution, etc. Probably not worth it unless you're a rich rear end in a top hat who doesn't have any reason to visit the US ever again.

idk, I'm pretty pissed off man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Just made a new thred in Business, Finance and Careers for this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920051