Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I made Nashville hot chicken (first time I've ever deep fried anything) and it was extremely crispy. Probably the best chicken I've ever had. Had to leave half of it un-sauced though because my wife thinks Dr pepper is too spicy.

Broke down those chicken quarters and chucked the backs into the freezer for stock later.
That bread was homemade too, next up is the pickles.

Strained the majority of the oil and stuck it into the fridge for when I fry some more chicken and then spilled the rest on my house shoes. Those went directly into the garbage lol

I am trying to make some chic fil a type nuggets soon and will post the recipe and pictures if successful

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks very good. Did you dredge in buttermilk before frying?

Last few times I've done fried chicken I did a buttermilk marinade and it did give a great crunchy crust but then I decided it was too much crust and next time I fry chicken I think I'm gonna just season and flour the chicken and skip a liquid step for a lighter crust.

I seasoned heavily with salt and left in the fridge on a baking rack for a day.

Yeah I wanted a very thick crispy crust so it was flour, buttermilk, flour.

I'll type it up when I'm on PC but I just watched Joshua weissman and Sam the cooking guy and combined the two. Mostly the same recipes honestly

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I usually make sausage patties and leave out a bit of the sausage and crumble it into the pan, cook it, then add flour for the roux.

As for Gravy, no such thing as too much black pepper

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 20, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Resting Lich Face posted:

Isn't a ham hock usually cured? That cut of meat sure isn't.

I usually would call it a smoked ham hock but I've never seen one not smoked so...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

To get the flakey biscuits I tend to laminate the dough in like 5 layers after I fold in the peas of butter

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Hard agree, and besides it's not like regional food doesn't tack elsewhere over time. You can sub just about any cornbread variety for any other - sweet, cakey yellow is still delicious with a pot of beans and some collards - so at the end of the day people should eat the stuff they like to eat. I do advise everyone to try another way of doing it, though, as you never know what you might discover.

I'll confess...I don't like mayo on things. Only in things. I might dip fries in aioli or tartar sauce.

Making a batch of chicken and dressing with super sweet corn bread tastes really strange (I did it) but other than that agreed

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You can get some nice biscuits by laminating with chunks of butter

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Also from alabama, that sounds about right

Edit: since I made this lovely post earlier I'll just quote my BBQ post here instead.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Alright finished my first cook in 7 years. Other butt is still resting but I pulled the smaller one.

I had to wrap it before the bark fully set because I was on a time crunch.

We usually pull all the unpleasant chunks of fat out rather than shredding with claws.

Which can leave it a little dry...

Which is easily solved by adding some of the juice from the foil back to it

Yes, I put mayo on my BBQ sandwiches sometimes. Sue me.

Some help from my best friend, 'Sweet Baby' Ray

Finished product. I forgot to make slaw.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

King of False Promises posted:

I'll be eating there this weekend, so I'll report back.

I'll believe it when I see it :colbert: