Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ground floor-damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iolite
May 9, 2009
Extremely hyped for this thread!

I'm still playing through it, but I've been going back to the original LP recently to refresh myself on so many details Elentor pointed out the first time around. Can't wait to see how this pans out!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
:getin:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I do it too friends
GROUND FLOOOOR

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 2 - Breaking into the Reactor

Previous Bonus Next

Everything about this is essentially "holy carp, look at the graphics". We're at that point where real-time graphics are not only way past whatever pre-renders could achieve in 1997, but drat, this game can be so pretty.

The game starts with a perfect replica of the original. Everything is the same here, the two enemies -

The very camera angle, and so on:

And thus we uhh, have some battle. The battle system is... well, you either know how it is already, or you will not learn how it works through screenshots, that much I can tell you.

But it's an action RPG. You smash the button, Cloud attacks. Cloud now has two modes, "Punisher" which counter-attacks when you defend and has heavier attacks, and "Operator" which can do a Dark Souls dodge roll with no I-Frames. Cloud starts as Operator because he is Smooth.

And just like the original, we get to Level 7 with our first battle.

If you go back to the old game's screenshot, you'll see that there's a clock tower at the background. And the red light. Gosh the attention to detail is crazy.

Looking up we get to see the dark sky, and the Reactor. I just stood here for a few -

- admiring the details.

Right. So you'll probably see me talking a lot about the environment in this update because it's been by far one of the highlights of the game for me. Immediately out of the train we go through a train station, and nice urban level design is something that I like very much so.

In this case the station seems to add an excuse for more combat, as the game gives you constant tutorial messages on how to play it. It feels slow even though everything is frontloaded because it's just so much.

I do find pretty funny how the guards just ignore everyone and go straight for you at the back though. This whole invasion could be over in two seconds.

So yea, this entire area is a glorified tutorial. Which to be honest is kinda...weird because by the end of the first reactor I felt like the ramp up in difficulty for a first dungeon was a bit wild.

Oh, a nice little touch is that the clocks show it's about 21:13. The station times for the next trains match it, by showing the next takeoffs at 21:18 and 21:30.

I love all the little details. Don't mind the corpses.

Obligatory Video Game Mechanic: Chests. These are the ones we open.

This is just too cute.

And also, different chests that you can blow up to get you items.

Second floor of the station. You can still see the bodies down there.

One of the things that seem immediately obvious is that Jessie is way more of a main character in the remake. Don't spoil me on whether I'm wrong or not, but for the record:

Elentor posted:

I predict that Jessie survives or there's an alternative timeline where you can save her.

And also, that Jessie is uh, incredibly thirsty. By the time of this post I've only had the first encounter with Aeris, but I'm almost sure that they took a chunk out of her in the original and put it into Jessie instead. Or maybe I'm wrong and this game is just a bunch of very horny characters, who know.

(At the time of this post I'm at early Chapter 3, just outside the train).

Biggs: "Cloud. Cloud Strife."
Biggs: "And he isn't a SOLDIER anymore."
Biggs: "Still, he's a professional - unlike the rest of us."

I feel sorry for Wedge, he's so positive.

Cloud, well, he is a huge douche. Props here. If you haven't played the original: One of the things feared the most was Cloud's characterization. The main character is... a bit of a very complex persona in the original, but since then was delegated to being a brooding depressed character with little self-esteem in the Expanded Universe and retroactively that notion worked its way back to the perception of the original. Cloud here, however, is exactly like he was in the original: A huge, dorky douche. This is our main character, folks.

And Barret really hates him.

I'm Barret. Look at well rendered everything about me is.

My favorite hobbies are facing away from people and pushing Cloud sideways.

:iceburn:

Jessie works her magic, and we're in. Beat by beat.

Some iconic stuff folks.

Previous Bonus Next

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 15, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm playing these side by side and if you showed me a screenshot from each version I wouldn't be able to tell the difference

HEY SQUARE, THE PEOPLE WANT MORE ZIDANE AND STEINER!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update 2 Bonus - Ads

Tag yourself. I'm Elegance.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
As a long time Final Fantasy fan without a PS4, I am all over this.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Clear Icicle here

LastLeigh
Jan 19, 2020

Just smart enough to get into trouble.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm playing these side by side and if you showed me a screenshot from each version I wouldn't be able to tell the difference

HEY SQUARE, THE PEOPLE WANT MORE ZIDANE AND STEINER!

Oh my god. FF9 with these graphics would be INSANE.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Surprised the water doesn't say something like "fresh glacial water from Icicle Inn" or something.

Also hair gel tonic.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure they're selling Minoxidil

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What I want is more context for the "See the world though her eyes" ad. VR game? Documentary? Tasteless wolf-based fashion line? Eight season soap opera about wildlife in the slums?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

LastLeigh posted:

FF8 would be so good too

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
...AIR?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I was glad they kept the giant Loveless banners in the opening, after Aeris looks up at the camera.

That's my tag.

Edit: Specifically this one:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Elentor posted:

Update 2 Bonus - Ads

I'm Literal Monster Energy Drink.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Clear Icicle had me in a fit the first time I saw it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dibs on the Crisis Core callback.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
"For astonishingly radiant and spiky hair."

Guess we know what product Cloud uses.

God, this game is great. I've been playing it pretty non-stop for two days.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hey Elentor, it's great to see you back! I think I still associate your voice with Aps for some reason!

Very excited to see this as a screenshot LP too. Keeps it different from the boatloads of videos out there, better for the little details.

Although on a video note:

Elentor posted:

Truth be told, the JP VA in this game is... surprisingly restrained. For real, let's compare the English and Japanese versions:

ENGLISH

JAPANESE

This is held true for the rest of the game as far as I've seen. Y'all ask me, I just don't know what's going on. Maybe after working so long in the industry, I reckon the VAs got a serious case of the Dissidias. Maybe the VA Directors thought it'd be nice to give more work for their colleagues and get the VAs a nicer paycheck for all their troubles. I'm not judging. We all gotta pay our bills. And sometimes the only way to pay your bills is to make anime noises.
This BLOWS MY MIND. I've been blaming SE for this the whole time!

Even the guard getting taken out sounds more realistic and restrained. Instead of big doofy mouth noises, its basically just breaths. Jessie delivering that kick without PANTING is so much cooler. It's like people on an actual mission. Goddamn.

I think Cloud's voice acting is a pretty good fit, but I have a lot of issues with the casting and direction of a lot of the others.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
I wasn't going to follow this, because I've been poking into the spoiler thread during the lead up to release and it's been giving me this encroaching dread. But you're doing a screenshot LP of this which I prefer from LPs.

Maybe discussing it as the thread progresses will bring me around on this game or put fears to rest. Probably not, because Nomura and Nojima heading up this project will always worry me, but let's give it a chance.

I'm only five hours in on my game. Gonna have to do my best to try and stay ahead of the LP.

Elentor posted:

Update 2 Bonus - Ads

Loveless, because I'm a loser and a dork.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psycho Knight posted:

I'm only five hours in on my game. Gonna have to do my best to try and stay ahead of the LP.

Don't worry, given my current rate of progress maybe I was wrong and it'll take me another four years.

It takes every hour of gameplay 8 hours to transfer files to my usb drive, who knows why! If the game takes 30 hours to beat, this gives you at least 11 days of real time to do whatever.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Elentor posted:

Don't worry, given my current rate of progress maybe I was wrong and it'll take me another four years.

It takes every hour of gameplay 8 hours to transfer files to my usb drive, who knows why! If the game takes 30 hours to beat, this gives you at least 11 days of real time to do whatever.

Are you using the screenshot/record feature on the PS4 itself?

My rate of play has been slow because depression has long since crippled my desire to play games. Also, I was super excited for this because VII was my favourite, but stuff I've been hearing about this has been dampening my enthusiasm. I played 5 hours while chatting with my friend on Friday and haven't touched it since (although partially that's because it's currently exam time).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psycho Knight posted:

Are you using the screenshot/record feature on the PS4 itself?

My rate of play has been slow because depression has long since crippled my desire to play games. Also, I was super excited for this because VII was my favourite, but stuff I've been hearing about this has been dampening my enthusiasm. I played 5 hours while chatting with my friend on Friday and haven't touched it since (although partially that's because it's currently exam time).

Sorry to hear about that dawg.

Yeah, I'm recording as video because the screenshot button has a gigantic delay. So I'm recording using the ps4 feature then screenshotting it after it's in my PC.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I originally skipped over this LP because I figured it was going to be kind of a bandwagon LP, but then I saw who was behind the wheel and jumped in.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Elentor posted:

Sorry to hear about that dawg.

Yeah, I'm recording as video because the screenshot button has a gigantic delay. So I'm recording using the ps4 feature then screenshotting it after it's in my PC.

I just asked because I always thought the PS4 record feature placed a trademark watermark in the bottom corner. I originally tried it for my current SSLP before switching to a Steam version of the game because of that annoying little detail.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VagueRant posted:

Hey Elentor, it's great to see you back! I think I still associate your voice with Aps for some reason!

Yeah uhhhm about that. I hope you don't think I was playing a con or something. I tried to make a friendly character that would cause as little debate as possible. So I let you people run with your imagination on how I am a tall nice giant lol. And some people in the original thread were just holding really hard not to spoil the joke.

quote:

All this how-Elentor-looks-like chat is making me giggle pretty much. :3:

Truth is I'm a skinny blasian who looks and sounds probably the opposite of how a lot of people here imagine me to. I talk fast and I can't shut up. But I was never a huge fan of how OTT Internet personalities are, especially on video, and I didn't want to be seen as that, so I made something else up. I thought it would make more sense to my readers to imagine me as they did than to picture me as I am.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Elentor posted:

Update 2 Bonus - Ads

Do you think the Shinra hair tonic has mako in it? Do you think people are rubbing human souls into their scalps to make their hair lustrous?

e: oh god it says it makes your hair radiant and spiky cloud what are you doing noo

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Chillgamesh posted:

Do you think the Shinra hair tonic has mako in it? Do you think people are rubbing human souls into their scalps to make their hair lustrous?

e: oh god it says it makes your hair radiant and spiky cloud what are you doing noo

I'd say it's highly likely. We make a bunch of products out of petroleum after all. Makes sense that Shinra would be using soul-juice for everything they could think of.

I think there's also random NPC chatter about Mako being used for... other stuff.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chillgamesh posted:

Barret: "Can you hear the cry of the Planet, Cloud?"
Cloud, hearing souls screaming in agony right on top of his head: "No lol, are you crazy"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

VagueRant posted:

Even the guard getting taken out sounds more realistic and restrained. Instead of big doofy mouth noises, its basically just breaths. Jessie delivering that kick without PANTING is so much cooler. It's like people on an actual mission. Goddamn.

Actually, I agree. For once, it's so... Liberating to see someone in an anime-esque game react to something with their facial expression only.

Also, Elentor, good luck. We're all counting on you.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
What's your approach to soundtrack in this LP Elentor?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aumanor posted:

What's your approach to soundtrack in this LP Elentor?

I don't think I can realistically post about it right now, I don't even think the official OST is out. I considered manually recording the music that isn't available yet and posting on YT myself but the last thing I want is to get a strike.

I will probably write about this twice especially since I know there is a Hard Mode. Right now this is the world's slowest live-blogging about a blind run. A bunch of things that I find stupid early on might turn out to be genius and vice-versa and I don't know yet. I know how much people wanted more attention to the music in my original LP and I intend to do it once it's more accessible.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Hey I read your original LP and I’m really excited to be here for the entirety of this!

My son is about to turn one so...we are all in this LP together until maybe his 5th bday??

The old LP taught me about those overpowered gloves for Tifa on disc one. I think they worked better with low health?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Definitely LOVELESS.

Thanks for doing this Elentor, your original LP prompted me go back and replay FFVII for the first time in forever.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Welp, I guess since the game isn't available on steam, this is the best way to experience it. Music links would be good though.

Elentor posted:

as the game ever gives you tutorial messages
showing the takeoffs the next times
Errors.

Elentor posted:

Update 2 Bonus - Ads

You need a clear shot of the dog cartoon ad for a later reference to make sense. This is obviously vital.

LastLeigh posted:

I want an FF6 remake with these graphics. And an apology for the last FF6 remake to boot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

VI is practically perfect in every single way and a remake would be a bad idea imho.

VII is such a special case for a remake, too. It's such a huge game compared to any of the other titles, completely iconic, and has had a slew of bad spin off stuff. So anything that's made with some quality and care toward the original is a really nice surprise, like this game has been for me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I want a remake of IV.

Or IX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

IV already was remade, sucker!