Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
"For astonishingly radiant and spiky hair."

Guess we know what product Cloud uses.

God, this game is great. I've been playing it pretty non-stop for two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elentor, I appreciate you doing this, but you're going to need to post at least two updates a day to satiate my appetite. Thanks a bunch.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, that opening movie was all modern day Midgar, up on the plates.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I mean, you could put in a relatively detailed Cliff's Notes recap of the original game, but it's hard to capture the nuances of the story in a summary like that. I'd say people who are not familiar with FFVII would be best served by reading your LP, but I guess the second best option for people without that kind of time would be a summary.

I'm guessing the vast majority of people who are planning to read this have probably already played or read the VII LP already, though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elentor posted:

You know, this might be a case of me forgetting things of the original (and there's so much in that game I find myself rereading my own stuff and going "wait, I didn't know that and I didn't know I knew that"), but I don't remember if Jessie ever talks much about her contact, or if her contact is Reeve, or if her contact is the person who betrays us and reveals the location of AVALANCHE.

I don't think she ever elaborates on it in here or especially in the original, but I think she's actually talking about Avalanche command. In the FFVII "expanded universe" Avalanche has been around in some form for a good while, and isn't just a Barret pet project. She talks to someone in Avalanche HQ, who theoretically gets access codes from some other ShinRa source.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Looks fine to me. Sometimes people still look like themselves as they get older! Weird, I know.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Aces High posted:

I mean if this is the tip of the iceberg at least I know there's more to come. Besides, it's not the fact that a woman is wearing it, I'd think it looks stupid if Cloud was wearing it too.

Actually I don't think it would stick out to me like it is if all the AVALANCHE members were rocking something similar, except Cloud because he's too cool :jerkbag:

Nobody else is dressed like her in the game; her outfit is the only one I've heard people complain about. But she almost certainly made it herself and she's a big flirt, so I can give her wearing boob-armor a bit of a pass. It's not like it has a huge opening in the armor to reveal her cleavage or anything, so as far as fantasy lady armor goes it's super tame.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Lightning Returns was a lot more varied in how you stagger enemies than XIII, but if I recall it was more opaque about what is needed to stagger each enemy than VIIR.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I can't wait to discuss how some aspects of this Remake relate to you, specifically, and to this LP, but it's going to be a while before we can. :(

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Namtab posted:

The misunderstanding over barrets age conversation, while being a bit stilted with barrets response, is also a good perspective on clouds personality. Hes a guy who attaches a lot of self esteem on being soldier first class, and really wants you to know about it. He's showing off and gets owned because of it.

Yeah, that scene is great not for Barret's "one year old" snipe, but because it shows how much of a tryhard dork Cloud is early on. He's all "SOLDIER 1st class :smug:" and when Barret says "I meant your age, dumbass", Cloud gets all audibly flustered and embarrased. I think that's why Barret continues to twist the knife as much as he can.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

It's not just damage that gets eaten by the phase transitions that's frustrating, MP and/or ATB spent on an attack that starts right as a phase transition happens is also lost.

Don't forget your Limit Break bar!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hargrimm posted:

That's the worst, limits are already super slow to generate and rare to use with the new system, getting one wasted through no fault of your own is just a bummer.

Barret's so drat slow I think I only saw his limit at all like 4 times over 40 hours of play

Heh, there's one fight where I managed to fire his off, and it did so much damage (or whatever else the limit-building criteria is) that firing off his Limit gave him a full limit again. Of course, stuff was dead after that and I didn't get to use it, but still.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Phoenix downs should just heal more HP, so you're not forced to use two ATB bars to get a character back on safe ground when you're already down a character and the boss is focusing on you and being interrupted and losing ATB bars is totally a thing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

Also, is there a way to queue commands if you have the ATB bars?

I don't recall if "gameplay mechanics" is frowned on since it's a blind LP, but (extremely minor mechanics 'spoiler'): If you have two ATB bars, yeah, you can queue up two commands by putting them in back to back, and the character will execute them in turn even if you swap to someone else.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

Is there any actual guide to what you have to do out there I just can't happen to find? Every time I put in a command it dumps me out of the command menu. Is it one of those things they introduce later? Haven't gotten to three person party mode yet so maybe needs that?

It does close the menu when you select an attack, but you can instantly open it up again and input the next attack (assuming they're not totally knocked on their rear end when you input the first attack; then you might have to wait a second to give them the second one, but in either event you can give them a next command before they've completed the first command).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

In fiction, collapsing rubble will only ever fall in that incredibly narrow margin where someone is trapped and can't move, but never actually injured.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I don't think I've ever done the submarine minigame "legit". If you fire a couple torpedos right as the game starts you sink the other submarine in about 3 seconds. The one time I didn't do that I immediately lost track of it and couldn't tell what the hell was going on.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Cid could take whatever staff animations Aerith uses and make them more offense oriented, Vincent could easily adapt Barret's gun animations to a pistol (or borrow Rufus' shotgun animations, for that matter), and I doubt that Yuffie's shuriken would be a hassle to deal with.

There's basically 0 chance they're just going to copy + paste anyone's animations. Cid is not going to move anything like Aerith, and Vincent's single-shot rifles/pistols are not going to animate anything like Barret's arm-mounted machine gun. This game is generally going for high-quality production value, and nothing says Lazy like having your main characters being literal palette-swaps of each other when it comes to animations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, I can see some people being put off by the English Barret voice performance at first, but Barret has a lot of initial bluster and fronting, and his voice performance ends up being one of the best for its range. The main voice cast in English is pretty excellent throughout, though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I hope this Let's Play isn't keeping you from actually playing the game, Elentor, as you hold off to have time to write updates and all that. :ohdear: I feel like that would kill the pacing for you and possibly reduce your enjoyment.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It's only natural to have very mixed emotions about a lot of the... changes in this game. It's the sort of thing that you probably can't make a final evaluation of until after the credits roll. But throughout, the developers seem to have done a pretty good job at making the story approachable by both veterans and newcomers, and leaving both with questions at the same points in the story- they're just different questions. It's actually impressive how they juggled telling a story that would work and evoke the same general feeling out of both audiences.

Like here, a newcomer would be all, "Who is this Sephiroth person? What is his history with Cloud?", while a person familiar with FF7 would be asking, "why is Sephiroth here now? Why is he asking Cloud to run away?"

Whether or not you approve of the Sephiroth scene, I found it pretty cool how they had this weird hybrid Nibelheim/Midgar environment Cloud was stumbling through, with the old fashioned germanic cottages along with industrial pipes and brick buildings all merged together. It was a neat effect.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 16, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I drink, but I'm really bad at it. When I have a drink every other week, I'll usually end up drinking one beer over the entire evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You usually need to roll behind them to get a hit or two in. They turn slowly, but not so slowly you can just walk behind them.