Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Oh yeah, this is gonna be hella good.

Loved the original thread and excited for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

At least in the original timeline, the prologue would've been before she was born - plates went up (or started going up) in 1976, Aerith was born nine years later in 1985.

I'd be surprised if that changed, though.

marasamune posted:

I don't know if you know this or not, but you can press L2 to change the useless compass at the top of the screen into a mini-map in the corner. Can't remember if it was a tooltip or I found it by accident. Made navigation 1000% easier though.

It's also incredibly annoying if you accidentally press L2, turning the minimap off and making you cycle back to it.

It's entirely possible that's just a "me" problem, but.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

There is kind of a key difference between FF13 stagger and FF7R stagger.

FF13's stagger constantly increases the bonus damage - in fact, even when an enemy isn't actually staggered, you get bonus damage, it's just that getting staggered gets you an extra 100% added on. FF7R has stagger be a static +60% to damage taken, modified by some abilities we get later on.

Due to this there isn't the COM(/SAB)/RAV balancing act of actually increasing the number and making sure you can maintain that bonus; stagger doesn't drop at all until the enemy actually gets staggered. (...Then it feels like it drops super quick, at least compared to 13, but maybe that's just me!)

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Fedule posted:

God in retrospect Lightning Returns was almost literally the foundation upon which VII-R was built, right down to managing three characters' ATB gauges and switching between them. Hell, the only thing it really lacked was the ability to desync your three "characters" so you could have them all acting at the same time.

As I was writing up that post I realized "wow this is way closer to LR Stagger than XIII Stagger, isn't it" but I didn't want to acknowledge LR if I didn't have to :v

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

That's an interesting recurrence there. Was it intentional?

If it was I couldn't blame them for skipping over trying to keep any consistency, though. What'd you call it? Magijuice?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Brunom1 posted:

I doubt there's any deep significance here. For one, 魔道 is an actual word that could've been translated literally, but Woolsey decided to localize it in a way that fit what it actually was in VI.

魔晄, meanwhile, is made up terminology. In fantasy/sci-fi settings, JP can very easily create new words for stuff by just mixing and matching their kanji, and each one has several meanings which, together, signify different concepts.

As for how you could localize it, it depends on how creative you are with making up new words in EN. If you're not, you could easily look to several religions and call it Mana, Prana, etc, or look to dead languages and call it something like Lux.

Ah, that makes sense.

I think "mako" works fine, though I'm not sure how much is "it's completely made up and refers to a made-up concept, who cares" (especially since it doesn't seem to be a meaningful compound word?) and how much is "I'm used to it so trying to think of something else that'd fit sounds weird".

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

The "Warning" markers are definitely pretty annoying, because like... it feels so artificial, I guess. Jessie calling out to you makes this one not quite bad (it's still kinda annoying but it's being enforced in-universe), but that's not something the game will keep on doing, I'm pretty sure.

I will say I didn't mind Guard Scorpion that much while I was playing. Maybe it's because I thought the reactor stuff was more sturdy than you do, maybe it's because I just naturally think the bozos who designed this thing would make it super destructive for no reason. (That and there's a cutscene coming right up that helps explain why it would be willing to wreck the poo poo out of everything; you really don't have time while actively playing the game to go "why is this just wrecking everything")

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

ATB commands definitely feel like they should have more super armor than they do.

Maybe I suck at the game and should be reading tells better than I am, but.

I'm not sure how to feel about phoenix downs restoring more HP, though. Like obviously it's an appealing idea but if they restore too much then you might as well not bother with Raise, since that costs an ATB bar and MP, rather than just an ATB bar. There's some games where items effectively expand your move set (you could even argue that FFVII does that itself, if you know what's good) but FF7R doesn't really fit that. It's really obvious that it wants magic to be really good and thus there's a price for using it.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

It was a follow-up to "boss phase changes don't necessarily have to coincide with the stagger gauge filling up".

I mean, I'd agree that going super-in-depth on stuff like this isn't exactly needed at this point, perhaps, but it's not like it was totally irrelevant to the conversation.

That said even if it does get better with system mastery that doesn't make it any less incredibly frustrating to deal with while you're learning the systems, which every player will have to deal with unless they're, most likely, some sort of savant.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

MadDogMike posted:

Is there any actual guide to what you have to do out there I just can't happen to find? Every time I put in a command it dumps me out of the command menu. Is it one of those things they introduce later? Haven't gotten to three person party mode yet so maybe needs that?

You'll have to open the menu back up but you can still enter a second command before the first fully executes (though if they're too close it might stop you)

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

my cat is norris posted:

You don't get anything special for completing the demo. It's actually missing some stuff from the final version.

It also has something in it that isn't in the final version: the dark element!

...It's only present if you check the icon help in the analysis menu (there's no reason to since you can't actually analyze enemies). I have no idea what it would've been used for, since dark wasn't even an element in the original (maybe it was subbing for poison (element) before they figured "nah that's dumb"?).

But it is a weird-rear end difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

he uses a spear and is terrible with magic, why would he share animations with Aerith