Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Genuinely think there's an argument for this being the best beat 'em up ever made. It's certainly my personal #1.

There's no contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are ones I have stronger nostalgia for but not one I think I can genuinely say "this is a better game."

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
SOR3 Skate's ground roll no longer allows you to bounce people in the corner in perpetuity, but it will straight up delete a Galsia in one hit.

That's gonna synergise REAL well with Fire Blitz.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This is the best beat em up ever hands down

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Would pay more $$$ for DLC or even to just bring in SOR 1, 2, and 3 story levels. Game is still good. Every hit sounds/feels satisfying and honestly the TMNT remake is trash compared to SOR4.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
That they have been quietly banging out this patch all this time when they could have been comfortably resting on their laurels and/or working on their next game is insane, in a good way.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Uh... did there used to be 4* colour pallets for SOR 1, 2 and 3 characters? Because now you can play multiple of them simultaneously.

Also, if you use the option for everyone to get all of the powerups in custom survival you get players*3 stars, and when picking up a buddy you all get a copy. It's gloriously broken.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Echoing the "SOR4 is the best". I have a lot of nostalgia for SoR2, BK3 and Final Fight 3 but this one is the best one by far. So much fun and lots of characters and super deep combat.

Zarfol posted:

Would pay more $$$ for DLC or even to just bring in SOR 1, 2, and 3 story levels. Game is still good. Every hit sounds/feels satisfying and honestly the TMNT remake is trash compared to SOR4.

Yeah I'd love to play let's say Estel on SOR1/2/3 levels and break the older games with new Axel or Adam.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's absolutely dethroned SOR2 for me so this tracks.

Same. I still love SOR2 and vibing to its soundtrack while playing half-asleep will always rule, and I appreciate how well it holds up 30 goddamn years later, but SOR4's systems are so much more dynamic and the movesets and how you can string them are just so much fun. You feel like a unstoppable wrecking machine once you're in a groove.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SOR4 surpassed SORR Remake for me quite awhile ago so I am glad we are all in agreement.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It probably didn't help that remake somehow went through a severe change in...feel? Movement? I can't explain it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

SOR4 surpassed SORR Remake for me quite awhile ago so I am glad we are all in agreement.

The only thing still good on SORR compared to 4 is the branching (or mixing) paths along old levels. Other than that, SOR4 is the best now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Survival Mode pretty much solves that by randomizing it all, but yeah some actual story variation would be nice in an otherwise perfect game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think I would like Survival Mode a lot more if it didn't have the powerups, because those just turn the game into spamming elemental attacks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alright time for rankings.

My personal list

1) SOR2. I’m sorry, the “comfort food” effect this has on me is too powerful. I’ve been playing it since it was new. Also, play the 3DS release if you haven’t. Fantastic port. I’ve sunk a ton of hours into the GameGear port too. It’s a very special game to me personally.

2) Sor4

3) TMNT Shredders Revenge. I have gotten a surprising amount of mileage out of this game. It’s not as complex as SOR4, but just plowing through foot soldiers is great fun as are the aesthetics.

4) Some combination of Scott Pilgrim/River City Girls

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Super Double Dragon is still a favourite for me. The timed block mechanic was cool, especially when it was block-into-grab, and the charge-up beast mode was fun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My comfort food is probably Turtles in Time, Shredder's Revenge doesn't quite meet up to my expectations there. SoR 2 is brilliant but I think 4 is the best there is. I actually like 1 a ton too, I prefer the soundtrack and it's very chill to just move throw. The 3DS versions are incredibly good too, get them before the store shuts down at the end of the month.

I've been enjoying Sifu enormously for what it's worth, same genre different format.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think I like Shredders Revenge more, though it does feel longer than I would've preferred. I have older, more fond memories of TiT but the mechanics and move variety and co-op stuff in ShredRev is so fun.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Bloodly posted:

It probably didn't help that remake somehow went through a severe change in...feel? Movement? I can't explain it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I think SoRR still gets new updates as well and one of the ones that came out either just before 4 or shortly after changed the feel of it. I think I went to their forums and a lot of people were complaining that the AI was pretty cheap and unforgiving even on lower difficulties.

Too bad, SoRR was my favourite time waster for most of the '10s

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lobok posted:

I think I like Shredders Revenge more, though it does feel longer than I would've preferred. I have older, more fond memories of TiT but the mechanics and move variety and co-op stuff in ShredRev is so fun.

It's definitely true that you can do so much more and playing as April and Splinter is really cool. I feel the levels just drag on a bit much, though I may just be slow and I'd have to go through it again, but I don't recall the stages offering as many exotic variations but it's been a bit since I booted it up.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Guardian Heroes is my favorite still. SoR4 probably doesn't make my top 5 but it's still an all timer, love me some SoR.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Super Double Dragon is still a favourite for me. The timed block mechanic was cool, especially when it was block-into-grab, and the charge-up beast mode was fun.

The music was absolutely fantastic too. I loved the block-into-grab and then kicking their head off. Or the uppercut/roundhouse kick after you stun an enemy.

My ranking would be something like this:

1) SOR4
2) SOR Remake or SOR2 if a fan game doesn't count
3) SOR2
4) Final Fight 3
5) Super Double Dragon

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
SOR4

exquisite tea posted:

I bet this patch contains all the gameplay adjustments that were leaked over a year ago (:rip: Shiva).

While his primary air+down special no longer bounces them high enough for you to quickly jump and air combo after hitting it, it still works fine in the secondary.

Shiva now has a link where if he hits an enemy with his back attack, hitting attack will make him turn around and do his Heavy attack immediately. Pressing the back attack button multiple times will also trigger this. You can sit there tapping it when surrounded and he's keep on back attacking and spinning around to launch people as long as there's people on both sides.

What this means is that Shiva, the air juggle character, has the quickest path to an air launch in the game. He also has the quickest path to triggering elemental Heavy moves in Survival mode.

Tangentially, if you pick up one of the 'random powerup' items (e.g. a gold knife) while being Shiva in Survival mode with the 'everyone gets powerups' modifier on, then it drops only one knife but gives you the random powerup.

Has anyone worked out how Shiva can access the Arcade Machines yet? The patch mentioned it but now how.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
River City Girls tragically underrepresented here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fuzz posted:

I've never played it. It seems like it has some kind of character progression system with stats or whatever and that's no bueno for me in beat up game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I tried playing it several times but it just doesn't feel very good.
Having to grind enemies to be able to do anything other than just spam one attack string really sucks as well.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I will be the outlier here and say RCG2 is number 1 for me doing multiple runs plus grabbing 100% achievements.

Marian is an absolute joy to play and Kyoko over there lets me re-stand and end things in a dab so she's good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On pc there is a mod that makes enemies less damage spongy. The game has a unique vibe, great art and a banging soundtrack.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This would be a standout track in another game. In RCG it’s just the save select menu

https://youtu.be/LdMKhE18U5U

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 12, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't mind character progression in beat-em-ups but it's gotta be at the speed of something like Shredder's Revenge. Scott Pilgrim's is way too slow for how weak you are when you start.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They still haven't finalized the 60fps fix for RCG2?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This would be a standout track in another game. In RCG it’s just the save select menu

https://youtu.be/LdMKhE18U5U

Feels odd to have someone flexing about another games music in the Streets of Rage thread.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Frabba posted:

Feels odd to have someone flexing about another games music in the Streets of Rage thread.

Two games can have good music

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Got back into playing this last night and it definitely takes some adjustment getting used to the movement speed and lateral limitations again since the most recent BEU I played was Shredder's Revenge. Turtles can run endlessly rather than just a dash and I've always liked Turtles games for the huge jumps you can use to go from any spot on the screen to another.

That said, I tried out Cherry for Survival and I beat my best level record so maybe I'm not so rusty? Nah j/k, it was 100% the luck of the draw with the boons and enemies that gave me an easier time.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I do wish that they had tweaked the damage scaling down slightly in Survival in levels past 32. I can understand the delineation of 'okay you've completed the set of levels where things are remotely fair so now let's get nuts" but even playing custom survival where we each got every powerup my girlfriend and I still ended up eating poo poo on level 50 where despite us having 3*Defense Up + 2* Survival Instinct a single blast from a fire-breathing fat guy was enough to completely delete our full health bars.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

I do wish that they had tweaked the damage scaling down slightly in Survival in levels past 32. I can understand the delineation of 'okay you've completed the set of levels where things are remotely fair so now let's get nuts" but even playing custom survival where we each got every powerup my girlfriend and I still ended up eating poo poo on level 50 where despite us having 3*Defense Up + 2* Survival Instinct a single blast from a fire-breathing fat guy was enough to completely delete our full health bars.

Wasn't there a "enemies scale" option added to the survival mode or does that do something else?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Why talk about a Decent game when we can talk about a Good game instead.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bisse posted:

Why talk about a Decent game when we can talk about a Good game instead.

Because they think it's good. No need to belittle them for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7210140201149156650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They made Estel's loop slightly more difficult but im still not a fan of how easily you can just loop OTGs with her. It doesn't feel fun when there's no need to use most of her moveset.

Shiva used to be my main character before but now he has an easy infinite which is also extremely boring.

Can't even fix that by changing their moveset myself because the problem lies in their Heavy Attacks.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 15, 2023