Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009
1)
Name: bpACH
General appearance: Office worker thrown onto the front line
Soldier class: Grenadier.

2) I've never been able to use them properly, so: Skirmishers

bpACH fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

reignofevil posted:

A good mission. My only advice would be that Specters ain't no thing if you just prioritize revival protocol over hacking mecs. Your unconscious soldier pops right up eager to shoot that dumb nanobot conglomerate in its dumb alien face and the only time you might find this trick doesn't work is when weird vertical parts of the map mean the specter is only a few tiles away but several floors above you.

If you do that, make sure to move the soldier after reviving them. I've had it happen where when I killed the specter the animation that normally frees the trooper ended up hurting them.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

eating only apples posted:

That Roth glitch warranted a force quit and reload imo, although the game definitely partly thought she was next to the van - her green bondmate square was there. But her cover bonus wasn't right for being there. So was she in spirit by the van and that square triggered the pod, or was the square she was in physically the one that triggered it? Either way for me, that'd be a gently caress-it-reload just to make sure.

You only get 1/2 cover for the rear bumper of the van because the rear doors don't exist as far a cover is concerned. You can see the same thing with regular doors (you can stand in front of them and they will block line of site but they don't give cover).

That said, I don't think that the pod should have been triggered from the van.

bpACH fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 10, 2020

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

cambrian obelus posted:

But I don't envy you playing the next mission. What are the penalties of just skipping a mission? is it worth it?

It's rarely worth it to skip a mission.

For Guerrilla Operations, there is no penalty for not picking one and skipping a set. Failing one causes the attached Dark Event to fire right a way. On the other hand, they are guaranteed to be non-evac missions so they are a good place to get alien corpses in addition to the reward in the mission briefing.

If you lose an Avenger defense mission, you lose the game (except if you are playing Ironman where it gives you the option to restart).

Every other mission type causes you to lose the sector if you let it time out or fail it. If the sector is the one that you start the game with, you don't lose it but you take a penalty to that region's income.

bpACH fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 15, 2020

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, is it just me, or does it feel like the AI cheats like hell with regards to concealed units? Three times in that video, the AI just happened to park one of its units in such a way that it technically couldn't see Reign while he was concealed, but if Reign was forced to move would've revealed him. And in the case of the Sectopod, still managed to do damage to him with its death throes.

I also vaguely remember once doing a facility mission where I snuck a reaper into the building and parked on the objective tile, only for a full pod of three enemies to walk up next to him... and then just spend several turns standing there, not doing anything while I waited for them to go back to their patrol.

Sectopods always deal explosive damage in the same area around them when they die, so Reign just happened to be too close to it.

Otherwise, yes, the AI cheats when it comes to patrolling:
- The AI knows exactly where your troops are even when concealed
- The game draws a line of play between your team and the objective and will generally move pods towards that (there is an invisible objective on supply runs for this purpose)
- If more than two turns pass without you making contact with enemy, it will cause the nearest pod to patrol towards your team.

So if you have a concealed character at an objective tile, the most likely thing to happen is that pods will get close and start camping it.

bpACH fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 16, 2020

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009
This mission reminds me of why I like XCOM2 lets plays (I normally don't watch games that I've played).

It's getting to see how different players approach the game. I'm much more defensive than FairGame and I end up playing leap frog on this map (set a half my team on overwatch and then have someone run out to flush out the chrysalids).

Also, it's interesting to see the different maps that people end up with. For some reason I tend to get more open maps for this mission where I can drop a sniper on the cliff near the start and have them able to shoot anything on the map.

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

FairGame posted:

I'm actually not sure how the UFO works. Whoever in the thread was like "FairGame will explain this if he wants to" was wrong because I have no clue.

I've definitely had the UFO hunt me and NOT make contact. If I had to guess, it's just a random chance once the dark event is active whether or not you get a base defense. The evasive actions are just flavor.

e: ah

The game picks one of the plot missions and the ufo will spawn when you complete it. The internet says that the avenger defense mission is guaranteed to happen in this case but that doesn't agree with my memory.

If it is a dark event there is a 50% of triggering the mission. Otherwise the UFO just flies around until the dark event expires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Chuu posted:

For all the disrespect you give Codices (or maybe because of it?) I still feel like they've been the most dangerous enemy. The forced lack of utility their AOE disarm causes has lead to incredible awkward situations and I believe multiple deaths in this playthrough.

My opinion is that it is the disrespect that they caused so many problems.

The feedback order is a bit of a trap in my opinion. While Fairgame was able to pull out without problems most of the time, it caused problems that didn't need to happen. In order to kill a codex with it, the codex needs to psi bomb 3-4 troopers depending on difficulty. If it bombs less than that, it will have enough health to clone itself and now you have 2 of them on the field and several of your troopers have to move and can't shoot.

FairGame posted:

I'm always happy to see a codex. They're predictable. Purifiers and Andromedons can do a nasty AoE that also adds a DoT with debuff; they're far scarier to me.

I believe I posted this before but I generally play more defensively, so Purifiers and Andromedons aren't as scary to me (my troops a generally further away from the enemy and I use more guaranteed damage abilities). Codexes teleport and prevent me from using my troops.

That said, Purifiers and Andromedons are pretty high on my list too.