Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Sign me up! But who knows how long I'll keep my arms and legs this time? (or my head, vital organs, blood, etc for that matter)
As last time, I'm happy to see what the game rolls me on appearance/accent/class and so forth, unless there's a particular thing you want to pick to round out the roster. The aesthetic is maybe a touch too punky for my tastes at the start, but it definitely makes it stand out from the generic soldier look that way too many games have.

Let's go skirmishers, for no particular reason other than "just because".

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I'm not dead! I was scared as gently caress when I saw myself on the first mission, because I thought it was going to play out like the tutorial in the base game where one of your dudes always seems to die.

Are sharpshooters really that bad? Much like the previous game, I don't know the mechanics of this one much either, just that I'm sure I remember there being a decent sniper or two in Dan & Grace's WOTC drinking game LP.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

I see fairgame has carried his absurd luck over from longwar

Holy poo poo I just got finished watching the previous video, this is one hell of a rollercoaster and we're only two missions in. If this is going to be anything like last time, then I look forward to hanging out with all my medbay buddies during the great scoutsharpshooter purge of 2020.

Fairgame, did you intentially set my character to look like the last one? Sweet!
And is it possible to make the subtitles go a bit (say 25%) slower? I used to think I read at a decent clip but this is kicking my rear end.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait a minute, so even a few lost will cause your computer or console to turn into a barbecue? I thought it was only big swarms that did that?

And it's good to see I'm on fine form as usual, missing a 94%-to-hit shot :madmax:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, so there was no recovery from the mind control and we got to take our actions without having to wait for the next turn? That's uncharacteristically not-dickish of the game.
Are the mission timers reduced on this difficulty? It seems like if you didn't literally bee-line it to the objective, you fail the objective. If we'd taken cover and got into a firefight rather than being able to alpha-strike most of the enemies, I don't see how we could have got there in time.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

megane posted:

Bob Deadford's lack of confining armor makes him swift and deadly, and the sight of his rock-hard abs demoralizes the opposition.
After an Advent crackdown declared his Red Hot Chilli Peppers covers band illegal, it was only natural that Deadford was quick to seek out XCOM and fight back.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I would like to think that the 21-day month is a result of an agreement between the Advent and XCOM unions mandating a 5-day, 40-hour hour average working week. And the reason we don't get extra healing over the weekends is because everyone's gone on a massive bender

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Munin posted:

I can't help but have the name Robert "Deadford" Redford come up in my head.

How do the photos kill the performance so much?
If anything, I feel like Deadford needs a curly moustache because that accent just makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awhVWdoq448&t=22s
And is there any chance I could get a pair of sweet sunglasses? Because apparently I can't see or hit poo poo (yet, hopefully this will change with a bit of EXP and a nice scope). Lightning hands is rad as hell though.

XCOM seems to have... interesting... coding, I guess the photobooth works in a similar way to how having even a single Lost on the map seems to melt your GPU.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey now, don't be so hard on yourself, that map was awful for blocked lines of sight and ridiculously long range sectoid psi-fuckery. I guess during the ambush you could have had me in half-cover on top of the scientist's room, but that's kind of cruisin' for a bruisin' in itself.

Knowing even less about XCOM2 than the previous game, what could (in hindsight obviously) have been done better with a sharpshooter here? My gut instinct is that if they can't see enough then have them sprint/double-move to where they can, else hunker down - but that last room seemed tailored to make it easy for those assholes to stay in full cover from any angles I could get from that train car.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

"Rating: fair"

I'll take that. (Does this mean we know what our first few robots are going to be called?)

[edit]Wait, that's what the first number in the video titles is for? :gonk: I thought it was just a way of dividing the campaign up by major plot events or something

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 20, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

[edit]Mechanised opponents? Only one thing to do: go, move, go, now!

Wait, "dies offscreen"? That sounds like a new level of unfair bullshit.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 21, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

FairGame posted:

Yeah. That's all it means.

Ohhh OK, I was thinking that there might be some bullshit like covert ops appearing this early with a risk of soldiers outright dying.

No explosion on the purifier dying? Is that a random chance too, or are there ways to trigger/avoid it?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5k8ZQsZJpk

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Missing a shot without breaking concealment: :shepface:
Missing a 91% shot on an enemy out of cover: :shepicide:

that's a 91% AND a 94% I've missed so far, god drat this game hates scout/snipers

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

If there's one thing this game does really well, it's giving you a visceral appreciation of the difference between 90% likely, 99% likely, and 100% likely.

Yeah, come to think of it I'm pretty sure somebody else got "dodge: grazed" instead of a hit off a >90% shot at point blank that mission. It's like this game knows me, I'm awful at anything involving dice-rolling.

Use them or not, but I also don't get why mimic beacons are so overpowered - every time I've seen somebody use them, they soak up one, maybe two shots max before expiring. But come to think of it, when did we kill a faceless? I don't remember that...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh, cool, I think I was confusing it with the weapon stocks that convert misses into chip damage. Regardless, having dodge proc on a 90% shot is such a kick in the balls.
I know I complain a lot, but yes, I do realise that so much of XCOM is about taking a situation where so much is stacked against you in an unfair way and managing to bend it over your knee through careful planning and superior tactics.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ohhh, gently caress this sitrep. I really don't know how you are supposed to deal enough DPS or otherwise distract enough enemy fire to ever complete a surgical mission.
On the other hand, sniper rifle upgrade! Awesome!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Something I never thought about before - does taking a chosen down give you a period of time where they are guaranteed not to appear? Besides special missions like the blacksite etc.

Sheesh, now were out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 29, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Kaishai NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO We were going to be sniper buddies, and you saved my life with that medkit :(
I owe Delacroix a few drinks as well for parrying all those shots for me too...

Seriously, it replicated loving lightning hands AND talon rounds too? And of course it procs immediately, unlike when I use them

Also I approve of cheesing the gently caress out of the alien rulers, they are assholes who don't play fair so I don't see why we should give them any quarter.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 30, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

W.T. Fits posted:

Ouch, Fear of Missed Shots on a Sharpshooter sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Just you wait until I develop Fear of Negative Traits, Fear of Chances To Hit Below 100%, or something else

I actually wonder if the chosen hunter's dialogue trigger rates were accidentally set too high during development but got left there because it leads to so many hilarious situations. Like here, he spends ages boasting about how awesome he is at shooting things, turns around to snipe a lost just to prove it to us, then we all bugger off without paying any heed to it. Poor guy.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Is it ever explained what ADVENT stands for, or at least why it is always written in all caps?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

*checks loadout*

Uh guys, is it just me or did it get cold in here all of a sudden? No? Oh, it's probably nothing.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 4, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Canon reason for that overwatch is me being extremely twitchy given that Fairgame said some ominous stuff about that frost grenade before slotting it into my pack. Genuinely thought I was going to die or get captured that mission You know, I didn't realise that mind control actually wore off after a while, I figured we needed to go kill the priest before it'd break.

Delacroix once again saving my rear end with a bunch of parries and deflections, and that was some pro tier poo poo with Din grappling all over the show.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 5, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, shredder seems like an awesome one to get on anybody, really. Armour DR is a real kick in the pants sometimes.

God drat but the assassin's an rear end in a top hat. Can't wait til we wreck her poo poo for real.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

All that poster makes me think of is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6DFXQqz0e8 and I'm OK with that

Also voting kagemane as soldier with the most intense gearing-up facial expression

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's also telling that it wasn't even really worth engaging the archons. High dodge and tons of HP make them just irritating and unsatisfying to fight.

Also my french isn't very good and I'm not sure what Vaughn is saying in that one line, but it most likely ends in ", chef", meaning chief. I think, anyway.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Personally, what weirds me out about the grenades is that grenadiers can only carry two rounds. Even though the launcher they carry seems to have a bloody drum mag on it. Yeah, I know, gameplay idiosyncracy. Actually, while I'm at it, are the shadowkeeper/boltcaster/etc. ever explained? It just feels like someone on the art direction team had a hard-on for steampunk or something and decided to shoehorn it in where it otherwise wouldn't make sense.

I don't know what basic stats the snake armor grants us, but I am looking forward to the fringe benefits. Namely that snakes occasionally freak the gently caress out when they see some sick bastard waltz around wearing their skin. Seriously, it's a great touch.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 10, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh yeah, I have no idea about the utility of the snake suit, it's more that the bonus is a cool little touch. Style points, if you will.

Also supporting the berserker armour on deadford, it's the closest we'll get to naked deadford again

Come to think of it, I hope I live long enough to get the other special armour so I can get cosy on high ground and rain death from above.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 10, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ahhh, I'd forgotten about the best feature of the snake suit, the extreme scarf glitches. I've honestly forgotten about everything else it does except for the thing I mentioned earlier, though.

Would the game have considered that little fountain near the robot enough water to put out the fire on Roth? I was freaking out about the prison van exploding and killing everybody near it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

:ocelot:

Grapplejack posted:

I don't believe they did, and I assume fairgames strategy of dealing with him is to avoid him completely or use 'the forbidden technique'

What is the Forbidden Technique? ice bombs/mimic beacons, a stealthed spotter + like 3 sharpshooters raining bullets from way downtown, or something else? Because I feel like given how many sharpshooters we have, we deserve to use the second of these.

And holy cow, I am really happy that Megane's splash damage didn't take out the wall holding up the roof those civilians were hiding on when she moved up to kill that officer.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 12, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm halfway through the latest video and, well, I'm sorry for missing all those shots, guys :( I also just realised I've roled scout/sniper all 3 times I've had the chance in these LPs, but I'm feeling more of the cursed scout than death from downtown right about now.

[edit] APPLES NO! You saved us all with those grenades. And Deadford! I blame the game forcing you to wear clothes. And also the aliens being loving ruthless with grenades/AoE weapons. God drat.

Normally I wouldn't dream of commenting on strategy because I'd have crashed and burned the entire campaign within the first month. But since Fairgame explicitly wondered about how we might have done better in this mission, my guesses would be: prioritise blowing cover early in the turn, and exaggerating distance between squadmates if anything with missiles/bombs/grenades is around. But even with that, I figure the standard XCOM bullshit rolls on 75% shots would have still landed us in a similar predicament.

Are there different grades of "burning" status? It always feels like burn damage and duration dragon rounds is far weaker than other sources of flame.
And what else is up for grabs in the experimental heavy weapon/ammo/grenade lottery? Most of the stuff we've got so far has been really good.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 13, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

God drat, nice mop-up of that surprise double pod at the end of that last mission. I haven't seen much of this game but my defining memory of sectopods is them double-tapping a unit to kill it, and having ludicrous dodge chance when they go into tall mode.

And yes, screw these sitreps, especially so late in the game. But I get to go on my first covert op, in the footsteps of our fallen homie Apples. Come to think of it did we ever do that final "hunt the assassin" mission? Or did it expire and we're waiting for it to pop again?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

"you can skip all the way ahead to 28:30... so we've got what looks like 2 regular dudes"
I did not skip ahead to 28:30

I'm so proud of all my sniper kids! If only there weren't timers on pretty much every other mission.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 16, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Chuu posted:

Also did not skip ahead. When the pod revealed around 27:08 the sectapod was revealed. I was wondering why FairGame seemed so unconcerned by it when setting up the ambush

I was going to say "you are a bad man, fairgame" but he always does a good job of taking care of his soldiers. I am so glad that wasn't a timed mission.
I screwed up the delivery but the implication is that I'm pretty sure FG was setting it up as a surprise reveal for those who did skip ahead

Anyway this showcases why I love shred. It's awesome when you can get it on rangers, but surely shred on cannons + grenades makes grenadiers pretty useful against rear end in a top hat andromedons/sectopods/shieldbearers? I guess SPARKs can still do all that, though, with their cannon and heavy weapon. Also, I think I'm cursed or something because check that sectopod focusing all its attacks on one dude. Glad he was the expendable chump...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 16, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh man, that AI behaviour makes a ton of sense in the context of XCOM 1, where you want poo poo to come towards your brilliant overwatch traps. However it's totally at odds with the "be stealthy! sneak to the objective! hit and fade guerilla tactics! hell yeah, timed missions!" that XCOM 2 is shovelling at the player as fast as it can. It always makes me wonder if the game would still be fun/playable/chalenging if the AI was a bit less omniscient, and you had some options to do poo poo like set up time bombs as distractions on the other side of the map to pull pods away while you hit the objective and leg it before they can respond.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ahhh. After the line bugging me for ages, I'm pretty sure Vaughn is saying "pas de souci, chef", or "no problem, chief".

Also of course it's taking me a while to get across the map, I'm not in such good shape right now. When I was recovering from that covert op and you guys said you were going out for a "secret smoke", I figured we'd need extra snacks around for afterwards.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 19, 2020

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh yeah, can't wait for my plasma lance. And I'm pleasantly surprised the game is nice enough to let you complete the mission when all Advent/chosen are dead, instead of making you race for crates against the timer and endless lost swarms.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So if we aren't going to see those two assholes, can someone explain a bit about the exploitation strats to me? Namely the one that Danaru's drunk LP used, which I think was a bunch of people with squadsight sniping the archon king from so far away that the ruler's interrupts/special abilities didn't trigger or otherwise were ineffective. Am I correct about this or remembering stuff wrong?

I am looking forward to seeing the chosen get the smarmy grins wiped off their faces, though.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

How does the chosen teleport-on-damage ability work? Is it random, does it put him into cover, break LOS, just get him further away, or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Summary footage of the previous mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO2t6LO9oLI&t=63s