Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Even though this is insanely small time, it was kinda nice just sitting the floor and playing in the dirt.
Yeah that's the point. Well, that and sitting on the floor smoking weed and watching everything quietly grow each morning and also noticing the fauna that moves in too. I used to cover my apartment patios in potted plants to have somewhere green to sit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Use your front yard to harvest your own wheat for milling and baking. :shobon:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

just looking at greenery has been proven to have a positive mental effect. literally just looking at photos of greenery is good for us.

i think what we all need is daily access to green space with an open flame and the sound of waves.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

the twenty or so tomato plants I started growing from assorted seeds in grocery tomatoes are all flowering here’s a close up of some fruit

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

pots are weird, plants can tell, like, even if their roots aren't touching the edge of the pot they still know they're in a pot and some of them really don't like it, might be true for catnip

heat coming in at all sides of the pot is something I’m sure the plants feel. it must be very different from sinking your roots into the hard deep earth, especially if you think the plants head is in the ground and it’s doing a handstand with its feet in the air.
pots made out of fabric instead of plastic seem to be a bit better. the roots in a plastic put hit the edge and start curling while things like smart pots are supposed to do something different.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey, do you have any suggestions on where to buy them that won’t charge an arm and a leg? I’ve always wanted to try these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154451381153

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Ah, got it! I thought you were talking about these here: https://air-potbros.com/

I’m growing strawberries and grape tomatoes in fabric pots and they seem to be doing rather well.

these are cool but the price on them is loving bullshit considering how they're made by simply stamping a role of plastic sheet with a giant tenderizer roller. i'm almost tempted to make some of my own with a plastic bucket and a soldering iron just to prove the point.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hell yeah you can

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

get into mushroom cultivation and grab the fresh ones to inoculate with spores

I want to grow mushrooms

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Spoondick posted:

a guy i know decided to grow hothouse tomatoes through the winter, started in early december and was starting to yield well when a couple weeks back the breaker powering his heat lamps tripped and he didn't realize it and there was a freeze and everything died

if you grow some weed in there too you’ll always have a good reason to check in on things :science:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

homegrown mint tea > store mint tea imo

plus you’ll never run out of the stuff unless you set the bush on fire and dig it out

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I planted a potted blackberry and a raspberry in the end of September, zone 5a, and they somehow survived and are now throwing out leaves. also very excited to see the rhubarb coming up again!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

they used to run rampant along the railroad tracks in England when I was little. we could go for a walk and come home with enough for jam and a pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I hate grasshoppers and earwigs!! is diatomaceous soil the best defense?