Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i just turned on a mac mini from 2018, and it didn’t make the “dooong” sound that i remember macs making. i almost never turn it off, so i never noticed it before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people who complain about it being gone are why all new sports cars play synthesized engine noises through the stereo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it was a good sound so you knew it wasn't broken this time

leave it to tim to gently caress it up too

ktulurises
Sep 21, 2006

Why is it I always have to be the one to get up?
sudo nvram BootAudio=%01

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
But now you get a sound that your computer plays when its plugged in to power despite if its muted or not

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ktulurises posted:

sudo nvram BootAudio=%01

i thought it was sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the bigger tragedy was losing the crash chimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZJg-H-TVUE

ktulurises
Sep 21, 2006

LastInLine posted:

i thought it was sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

youre right

The old command was

sudo nvram BootAudio=%01

The new command is

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

ktulurises
Sep 21, 2006

all that instead of just bonging-out-of-box like stebe intended

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
apple hates fun and will rip out everything that made your mac friendly because that isn't cool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
everything you love is dead op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

bet tim has a gun to finder man's head

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

apple hates fun and will rip out everything that made your mac friendly because that isn't cool

apple ripping up everything but threads rn

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

carry on then posted:

bet tim has a gun to finder man's head
lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the sound is called Loud Zen.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

What's the one from the 5200 called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igqRbdUpdo

I like that one the best

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The chime is the only way I know when my 2011 or was it 2010 idgaf Mac mini server has turned back on after I have turned it off and on again because it has lost connection to router for some stupid loving reason I aint buying a monitor for that piece of poo poo thank you CHUNNNNNNNNNNNN sound

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

WilWheaton posted:

But now you get a sound that your computer plays when its plugged in to power despite if its muted or not

it was worth jailbreaking to be able to get rid of that crap

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

poking another hole in the aluminum to add a $0.01 green/yellow charge indicator led is clearly an unreasonable extra expense on your $3000 laptop

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

poking another hole in the aluminum to add a $0.01 green/yellow charge indicator led is clearly an unreasonable extra expense on your $3000 laptop

now putting that same led on a magsafe charger without a replaceable cable which is guaranteed to fray and cost you another $80? no expenses spared then

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

What's the one from the 5200 called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igqRbdUpdo

I like that one the best

boring

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you can turn it on with that nvram command. works on my 16 inch mbp too. esss naice great success

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yeah just let me open the terminal on my apple Macintosh computer, type in an arcane command, and hope that it makes the friendly boot noise come back

^the actual state of using a mac in tyol 2020

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah. do it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I use windows, op :smugmrgw:

no happy sounds for me :(

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1bgsvsWms

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
sorry your favorite toy computers aren't exactly like they were 30 years ago, grandpa

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I’m surprised they took it out because it’s an accessibility regression.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

I’m surprised they took it out because it’s an accessibility regression.

technology exists to make life as unpleasant as possible for as many people as possible so it’s on brand for that.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i enabled the CHOOOOME :getin:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

don't forget to set your alert sound to simplebeep

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

carry on then posted:

don't forget to set your alert sound to simplebeep

Grab the macossounds.zip file from https://code.google.com/archive/p/stevenjaycohen/downloads and drop the contents of the AIFF folder into ~/Library/Sounds to get all the good ones back

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

you can bring it back with terminal commands but it's dumb as poo poo they removed something that has been core to the user experience and brand for literally 40 years and is a trivial element to do.

god the 2016 are a travesty. Removed the chime for no reason, ruined the keyboards, and the USB-C is buggy as all hell doing things as simple as HDMI out, plus the display cabling is so poo poo it will physically destroy itself over a period of a few years.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
people were getting distracted when a lecture hall of broken, hosed up macs kept constantly rebooting. place would sound like a one note choir practice. it was getting embarrassing

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

yeah. do it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Grab the macossounds.zip file from https://code.google.com/archive/p/stevenjaycohen/downloads and drop the contents of the AIFF folder into ~/Library/Sounds to get all the good ones back

but it already comes with sosumi which is the only acceptable option

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
drat skippy

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

thanks quack was always my favorite. remember it on the mac 128K

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

people were getting distracted when a lecture hall of broken, hosed up macs kept constantly rebooting. place would sound like a one note choir practice. it was getting embarrassing

Also, when people like turning off their machines instead of just closing the lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've had quack as my text message alert since forever and it's great