Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Well. gently caress.

At least he’s the only one who’s figured it out! It’d be real embarrassing if, say, everyone else we hang out with managed to solve that riddle!

To be fair, I think Yoshida is the only one who figures it out on his own; everyone else either needs to be told in a plot event or spend some time mulling over the mystery of how the person causing their personal issues suddenly changed their tune right after Hamiru-kun asked what their full name was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

I know! In return for that, I’ll predict your luck whenever you want!
I can sense Chihaya’s intense motivation…

My initial reaction to seeing Affinity Reading pop up as the new ability here was that Luck Reading must have been in its place in the original game, seeing as Chihaya’s dialogue alludes to it. It makes sense, because I was already aware that they had rearranged Affinity Reading from Rank 7 to Rank 5, so moving Luck Reading from Rank 5 to Rank 1 would also make sense.

That is not what happened. The original skill that was here before was Fate Reading, which provided a preview of upcoming Confidant abilities, and which is no longer in the game in its original form (the upgraded version, Special Fate Reading, is still in the game, though, before you type in that correction). Luck and Money Reading didn’t move at all. So… the dialogue here was always wrong, hilariously.

That's a nice series of qualifiers, but you're not gonna stop me, here I go typing in a correction:

All of Chihaya's readings are luck readings. She's a fortune teller, after all. Affinity reading is just reading your luck with relationships instead of money or personal improvement. If anything it's weird that that one is labeled luck reading specifically.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
well yeah but now she's doing it more that's how grateful she is

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The best part of going to the gym, and all of the other non-confidant hangouts, is that Morgana does it with you. He's mostly just spotting you because he's a cat, but he's there, and if it's something like the treadmill, he'll be right there running at your side and it's cute as hell. The worst part of playing "optimally" is that you lose out on bonding time with your li'l bag buddy.

Arist posted:

“I saw!” is really earnest and sweet, but also incredibly dumb and silly, so I had to pick it.

Also cute as hell is this poo poo. I don't care if anyone thinks Kasumi comes off as a Mary Sue or kind of forced into the plot or whatever, she's precious and deserves happiness. :3:

E: I also think it is Lavenza's VA doing the voice for rank 1 of Maruki/Kasumi's confidant with a slightly different intonation, but Kasumi's rank 5 is definitely Kasumi's VA for whatever reason.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 12, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah but can you do that and get all the good decorations from non-rank hangouts and give Morgana the time of day and let everyone get a shot at hearing No More What Ifs (vocal) and do all the date options if you happen to decide on a girlfriend for Joker?

you're gonna have to neglect something at some point, and that something is gonna be cute as hell and it's gonna suck to miss it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always thought that scene was weird, because your mementos targets do explicitly become better people. Most notable ones are the confidant requests, but there's also the very first guy who is part of the main storyline and ends up convincing the Phantom Thieves to go after Madarame because he's concerned for Yusuke's well-being.

I greatly prefer the simplistic "people are fundamentally good, and when they do bad it causes them metaphysical harm, whose removal will restore their inherent conscience" morality to whatever hell that scene was trying to imply.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait, did Kawakami live-text you as Becky while lying in her hospital bed, hoping to hustle up a sweet fiddy despite the fact that she is clearly unable to make house calls? Nothing about that event is good, but all of it is impressive.

Arist posted:

Takase-san!

I just want you all to know that I had to go back and re-record this event on a different in-game day because I didn’t want the portrait for Mr. Takase to be half-blocked by the HOT NIGHT text.

Somehow I never noticed that the HOT NIGHT tag sticks around for confidant events and now I want to see it in more places. Not so much Kawakami events, but I think it'd be a nice bit of spice to add to, say, hanging out with Akechi.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Once you get ‘em to strip, it’ll be smooth sailing from there. Looks are important. Clients want a gorgeous girl. Maybe we’ll have some cosmetic work done, too.

I seriously cannot believe we never end up doing anything about this guy.

Isn't he the final (vanilla) mementos target? I feel like it's at least some sleazy showbiz manager whose shadow is Mara, and it'd make sense for it to be this guy because he's the worst minor NPC in Tokyo.

I mean dude deserves worse than a change of heart, but beating up the ghost of his penis is more than "never anything."

E: Also Morgana is my favorite jazz club invite. You're told about the pets allowed policy, but he still pokes out of his bag to drink his fancy beverage from a straw. I've started playing Persona 4 and it has only strengthened my fondness for the bag cat. :3:

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 6, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
...May I see it?

Yes!

E: also I still smile every time I see "they blew off akechi lmao"

That random shitposter did more for the Phantom Thieves' morale than they will ever know :unsmith:

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 14, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always appreciate that Sojiro does a complete 180, immediately after catching you breaking into his home, and drops the "tough love" act, stops threatening to kick you out and doesn't even bother pointing out that you were in his daughter's bedroom when she went into her coma nap.

It's not like his deal is particularly subtle, but I appreciate that they put his pivot on that specific scene and didn't even have any characters spell it out in the next one.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
afaik you don't actually have to do this

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
we get that; I'm just trying to play along!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

One thing I learned from the Thieves' Den, and thankfully failed to notice in my own playthrough, is that that's Cognitive Ann in Kamoshida's wine glass. She spends the entire battle in there, except for a brief detour into his mouth during the animation of Lustful Slurp. I'd prefer if the game just never pointed this out.

Arist posted:

Shadow Futaba tells the Phantom Thieves that they need to get the real Futaba’s permission to enter to finish the theft. In Futaba’s room, an apparition of her Shadow warns her that she needs to accept the truth. At Leblanc, Ren wolfs down some curry and heads out, making Sojiro suspicious. When Sojiro asks if he’s up to anything, Ren responds with “Dunno,” which is funny, but also, dude, you need to hide this better.

That's kind of a weird change; it's pretty clear that Sojiro knows you've been intruding on Futaba and elects to ignore it once he realizes it's on her initiative.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Eyes in front when you walk, okay? No spacing out. You ran head first into a pole last time you went for a walk…

Considering she was a shut-in until extremely recently, that must have happened, what? Today?

Sojiro mentions that she didn't regress to full "can't even leave her room" shut-in fairly recently, like not long before you arrived. It could have happened then, also!

(I reject the explanation that you could theoretically hit this confidant rank at wildly disparate times and it makes sense on any other day, because what kind of lunatic would not get this exact rank at this exact date?)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The elemental camouflages are restricted on a per-gun bases, most of them can only be customized with one or even none. I don't know if there's any discernible logic behind which gun can get which camo.

The exception being Morgana's slingshots; most (all?) of them will take any elemental camo. Also not sure what the logic is there, but it's a nice viability boost for our cat friend.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Omobono posted:

Iwai would fire and/or murder Maaku if he applied a camo that didn't vibe with the model gun; however, Maaku can pass slingshots as trial runs for painting experience.

yeah nevermind, this sounds canon

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They supposed to be smileys that are obscure and inscrutable to an offline soul like Yusuke, who still would totally grok something as commonplace as ":P," while cementing Futaba as The Peer Who Is Too Online.

I have no knowledge of smiley usage among Japanese zoomers, but it feels like a wholly appropriate localization decision.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Sojiro! Want me to bring coffee to more customers?
Mask off first.
H-Hrghhh… I’ll think about it.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

Huh, never really thought about this transition before.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Well at least she seemed like she was having fun… But still… Guh…

There's an extra line from Morgana if you sit on the couch, where he speculates that Futaba got the fireworks because she felt bad after hearing about the summer festival, and wanted to do something nice for Joker as thanks for everything.

It's a very sweet touch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Not gonna lie, even though the trauma dump is hella weird and I'm 50/50 on whether it's an awkwardly shoehorned scene that just had to be somewhere or Akechi awkwardly trying to confirm for himself that Futaba is the latest Phantom Thief, I straight up felt bad when he reacts to Joker implying that he's not welcome at LeBlanc.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, it's hard to say specifically what is going on, since Akechi is simultaneously investigating the Phantom Thieves, scheming to earn their trust so he can undermine them, and experiencing some kind of genuine human connection for the first time in his life. He definitely doesn't need to trauma dump to figure out why Futaba is there, and it's also clearly not earning him any points for the second thing, so I figure by elimination that it must be the third one. Not so much because I don't think he'd try to manipulate you and just sucks at it, but because of this line:

Arist posted:

…… Did I bother you? My apologies.

It's been months since I've played through this and I still remember the hurt that comes through in this line read, and I think there's also a cut-in with an audible gasp. Being rejected by Joker is the one time we see the Pleasant Boy come off as vulnerable, and I don't read it as fake because he doesn't do that anywhere else.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sojiro is a top tier dad, get outta here. The first couple of months is him trying and failing to put on a tough love façade because he's cared about and wanted to protect Joker since before he met the kid. Futaba's situation isn't great but I'm not sure what he could have done better.

I'd also rank Iwai as a fair bit above “ok.” Kaoru is a good egg who doesn’t even flinch at the Yakuza reveal; that kind of trust has to be built. Pa Niijima I think we're meant to read as having been a good dad, also. Kasumi's also mentioned her dad a couple times, and by her account he's kind and supportive and maybe a little too protective, which probably adds up to at least decent.

E: Yeah, Doting Father is more who I'd peg as well-meaning but incompetent.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 27, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Shadow Shido suspected that it was "something like that," but he never investigated because he didn't actually care what motivated Akechi. Cognitive Akechi mostly suggests that Original Akechi was easily manipulated because he was desperate for validation and in denial about it; I forget if the dad angle ever comes up, but if it did, I assumed it was because he overheard the conversation where Akechi tells the Phantom Thieves about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He does mention that she refused to see any doctors and locked herself away when he arranged a house call, but I forget if therapy ever comes up. Which, fair, should at least have been attempted. I guess I'm mostly thinking in the sense that he has very limited resources and that Futaba is the victim of a nefarious government conspiracy. "Just make her feel safe until she's ready to reach out on her own" is a far better call than I think any other Persona Adult has made in any context, and it turns out to have been right on the money.

Admittedly it might have turned out worse without the assistance of a gang of magic teenagers and the cartoon clown prosecutor who always makes the wrong decision, but I'm not gonna fault Sojiro for that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the idea with Ann is that she's entirely comfortable with her sex appeal, so long as she's actually in control of the situation. Going to the beach with Ryuji and the gang or posing for a magazine shoot is in her comfort zone because it's happening on her terms, getting ogled while she's drenched from the rain/sweat is not comfortable, and sexual harassment is, well, harassment. That's not unique to Ann or models in particular; most people enjoy feeling attractive when it's within their boundaries.

I'm sure this is laid out in a draft document somewhere and they just forgot to give Ann more than a couple scenes where she's actually comfortable while writing a whole lot of scenes where she's not, because the tropes demand horny teenagers and villains threatening sexual violence.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hey there's a name on that list who we technically don't know is a playable character!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm just saying, we don't know who that gymnastics-themed, redheaded persona user voiced by Laura Post is!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He never says it directly, but he does express gratitude to the Phantom Thieves for pulling him from the brink and spends his entire confidant being horrified at the risk of turning into another Madarame. You can choose to read that as a kind of apology if you want to be very charitable.

also maybe he apologizes in a random Thieves' Den chat? I don't recall, but they do put a handful of conversations that should have been in the base game in there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait, the Thieves' Den is 100% a Royal original, isn't it? We probably should talk about none of it; Arist has been looking forward to painstakingly documenting all the random events there I'm sure.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Feel better, and no worries!

This segment always bothered me; Ryuji raggin on Morgana is to be expected, but regardless of what the player thinks, Joker clearly loves the guy and just keeps blowing him off regardless. There's even a response to one of the dialogue prompts where Morgana basically says "uh I don't have a response to you expressing honest concern, you're not supposed to pick that one."

Like I know the plot demands the dreaded dissonance arc, and it's trying to set it up organically, but it always rubbed me the wrong way that Joker and Morgana's relationship isn't really a part of it when literally every other element of the game sets up Joker as an empathy elemental who is always keyed in and putting others first.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also in one of her ranks she straight up namedrops Shido and says that Kayo was closing in on one of his cronies, and AFAIK there's no time gate on her confidant so you can find this out in like summer.

Joker will never think that name is worth looking into, because he cares as little about Ohya's confidant as the rest of us.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't believe we're already halfway through the vanilla content, what a rush!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Side-grin Ryuji and round Morgana are problems, I can't argue with that.

But what else are you gonna do? Screenshot LP of Persona 5 X or Dancing All Night? Just not let's play a Persona 5 game?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They do. I think people only forget about it because it isn't brought up again when the entire Conspiracy gets explained in excruciating detail, because I guess even the writers thought that one was too obvious to address.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think they're supposed to be the same girls who apologize for judging Ann once Shido confesses, though I certainly can't be assed to check.

I think Ann is mostly an “outcast” in that she chooses to hang with a bunch of known delinquents and losers, she could definitely join the Mean Girls or whoever is cool if she preferred.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tanaka comes right out and says that his Commodities are Shady, hell of a lot more trustworthy than all of Tokyo's disreputable vendors who try to conceal this fact.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's really not that many free sundays in the base game; I think the very first set of cocktails repeat because you may not unlock Akechi's rank 4 at the earliest possible date, but most skills show up only once.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There should be more Personas obviously based on cool comic book characters imho

Like, Joker's Persona is just Arsène Lupin as a bird demon guy and that is way cooler than some mythological dork whose biggest claim to fame is braving the underworld to get his dead wife back.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man I forgot that Shinya also didn't want anything to do with you until you hooked him up with the Phantom Thieves. Joker literally has no friends outside of being a Phantom Thief, other than Hifumi and Kasumi. and I guess he and Ryuji were kind of hitting it off before getting into the metaverse stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does Mishima count as a friend?

Ehhhh, they hang out sometimes.

But he absolutely goes in the "wants nothing to do with Joker before getting the Phantom Thieves hookup" box.