Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Slavvy posted:

Isn't the south island notably more racist and conservative? It's definitely much whiter

It's a little whiter than the north island if you exclude Auckland which being the big city gets most of the immigrants and the traditional precontact Maori strongholds of the far north and east.

As to racism, idk, hard to measure, but I'm mostly based around Oamaru which is about one quarter Tongan and I have never heard a bad word said about this fact or any Tongan in particular. Ymmv in Canterbury though. Same poo poo applies in at least one of Napier/Hastings though.

Conservatism wise, like I said I don't think it is a particularly useful lense to look at nz politics through, but left and right mostly splits urban and rural.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/04-11-2023/a-better-visual-breakdown-of-the-2023-election-results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
get the gently caress out of here you moron australians this is a thread for america

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thoguh posted:

There is a non zero chance that some Democratic staffer is writing up a pitch about how Texas seceding would be a good thing because it would turn congress and the presidency blue for years to come. And there is a 100% chance that pitch would get serious consideration from the DNC.

That's how they treat their constituency already. "Well we can win without these people so dump them" etc etc

Makes sense to treat the country the same way.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Slavvy posted:

Isn't the south island notably more racist and conservative? It's definitely much whiter

i mean yes, but it's also considerably more rural than the north island. so i guess it's geographic to an extent but not in a way that i think is analogous to the american north/south divide

Peanut President posted:

get the gently caress out of here you moron australians this is a thread for america

no

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Peanut President posted:

What is Australia if not balkanized UK

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Weka posted:

Yes, but what about after balkanization?
Yeah, after that i guess we need to make a distinction between the parts of the country claiming to be a functionning state and those failing at it. I half expect a HRE amount of failed libertarian microstates in the middle of the country to be honest. All with an average life of 2 weeks to 3 months top, to be honest.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, after that i guess we need to make a distinction between the parts of the country claiming to be a functionning state and those failing at it. I half expect a HRE amount of failed libertarian microstates in the middle of the country to be honest. All with an average life of 2 weeks to 3 months top, to be honest.

A libertarian microstate is just a libertarian

Peanut President posted:

We are going to help liberate Hawaii

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Toplowtech posted:

Sedevacants ruling their independent dioecies as Cardinal Princes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Brits had to threaten the Austrian mine owners and cattle ranchers to confederate, much later than the other Commonwealth states had central organization, and Australia always had a weak federal government subverted by them at every turn, so they’re the prime candidate to fracture into states. I think during covid it was all over the place with no common Australian standards?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The Brits had to threaten the Austrian mine owners and cattle ranchers to confederate, much later than the other Commonwealth states had central organization, and Australia always had a weak federal government subverted by them at every turn, so they’re the prime candidate to fracture into states. I think during covid it was all over the place with no common Australian standards?

i know it's a typo but an austrian australia acquired like how britain acquired quebec would be wild ngl

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If Austria was a prison colony maybe Hitler never would've happened

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jeez, hitler was racist enough not being australian

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Weka posted:

Also this is a pretty good balk map

hunger games prequel looking good

Weka
May 5, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I just don't think people there see themselves as all that different state to state. I've never met an Australian who introduced themselves as coming from a particular state.

Slavvy posted:

If Austria was a prison colony maybe Hitler never would've happened

Salusa Austrias

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Weka posted:

I just don't think people there see themselves as all that different state to state. I've never met an Australian who introduced themselves as coming from a particular state.
ever heard of the kiwis?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Peanut President posted:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

ever heard of the kiwis?

peanut president. buttery pastry. did we do something to offend food, what is going on here

Weka
May 5, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

ever heard of the kiwis?

I will kill you (actionable)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Weka posted:

I will kill you (actionable)
typical aussie criminality rising to the surface

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wafflecopper posted:

peanut president. buttery pastry. did we do something to offend food, what is going on here

yeah extra mild taco sauce you loving kangaroo jockeys

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

i didn't even know tacos had a specific sauce, but riding a kangaroo sounds wild

Wafflecopper has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Feb 9, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1757884134343770118

the winner of the usa balk wars will be the one who isn't trying to join argentina in the race to the bottom

Weka
May 5, 2019

Wrong. The winner will be the territory which can attract the corporations with the strongest armies

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Weka posted:

Wrong. The winner will be the territory which can attract the corporations with the strongest armies

Turns out Cyberpunk 2077 was a documentary.

Get ready to join the metal wars, Choom.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Okuteru posted:

Turns out Cyberpunk 2077 was a documentary.

Get ready to join the metal wars, Choom.

Hmmm... on the one hand, poisonous corporate hellscape where literally sacrificing your humanity is the only way to get ahead.

On the other hand, I can get legs that let me double jump.

I'll take it!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The corpos in Cyberpunk actually build cool poo poo, they don't just gently caress around with fake numbers all day.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Medical care in Cyberpunk is affordable to the point where even the poorest can get limbs and organs for aesthetics. There are literally street gangs that are all furries. Compare and contrast with the good 'ole USA.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That's because of overregulation

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1758243062478721435?t=lF4lh03sm6Gzm7Zvm2T0Zg&s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

They should count only yeses and nos, since the don't knows will likely to just follow the majority of people who do. In which case the stats appear consistent enough that you can just multiple those number by about 4/3rds, putting Alaska just on the cusp of being pro-secession, and NY/California/Texas not that far off.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Those are rookie numbers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How is Oregon so low?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Platystemon posted:

How is Oregon so low?

Secession would be, like, a lot of work dude.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Michiganders better change their minds before the water wars start

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

How is Oregon so low?

the urbanites know the wastelanders over the mountains would execute them without uncle sam

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

lmao at alaska being so high given the state is absolutely dependent on the feds to stay financially afloat. something like 35% of the state budget comes from federal grants and it's #2 in the nation for per-capita federal funding. for every dollar is federal tax paid from the state, it gets $2.41 back. 5% of jobs in the state are with the federal government.

the rugged individualist self-image chuds up there is completely divorced from reality... but what else is new.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

They're going to immediately defect to Russia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

this is wild to me

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

super nailgun posted:

the rugged individualist self-image chuds up there is completely divorced from reality... but what else is new.

I mean, all secessionist thought is completely divorced from reality since the administrative arrangement of the United States is utterly incompatible with any kind of balkanization along state lines. Even states that are 1:1 with federal funds are still sending that tax money to the feds and using federal infrastructure for services in return. The really big states like CA and TX would be in particularly bad places since you'd have a combination of desperate capital flight back to the "proper" US and wild internal divisions among rural/urban divides.

It was a pipe dream during the civil war and it's even less feasible now.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, all secessionist thought is completely divorced from reality since the administrative arrangement of the United States is utterly incompatible with any kind of balkanization along state lines. Even states that are 1:1 with federal funds are still sending that tax money to the feds and using federal infrastructure for services in return. The really big states like CA and TX would be in particularly bad places since you'd have a combination of desperate capital flight back to the "proper" US and wild internal divisions among rural/urban divides.

It was a pipe dream during the civil war and it's even less feasible now.

wrongo. we, the brave secessionist of insert state hete, would triumph, and the wokes/chuds would fall before us as the corps we like flock to our banner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Peanut President posted:

this is wild to me

Texas seceding and then immediately rejoining Mexico