Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, all secessionist thought is completely divorced from reality since the administrative arrangement of the United States is utterly incompatible with any kind of balkanization along state lines. Even states that are 1:1 with federal funds are still sending that tax money to the feds and using federal infrastructure for services in return. The really big states like CA and TX would be in particularly bad places since you'd have a combination of desperate capital flight back to the "proper" US and wild internal divisions among rural/urban divides.

It was a pipe dream during the civil war and it's even less feasible now.

the idea is that you want the seccessionist govt to fail so that your ChristoFascist militia can establish a Warlord state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Peanut President posted:

this is wild to me

the age breakdown is not what I would have expected either. wish you could drill it down state by state.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Not So Fast posted:

Texas seceding and then immediately rejoining Mexico

move the capital back to monclova

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

It was a pipe dream during the civil war and it's even less feasible now.

otoh americans don't give a gently caress about capital flight or infrastructure or consequences. balkanization won't be driven from the top down, it'll go from the bottom up. there's definitely enough martial enthusiasm and guns to sustain it against any kind of federal military intervention. it's also hilarious to me that goons mostly love trump, either for the chaos and accelerationism or just for the lols, but that balkanization, which is absolutely along the same lines of chaos, destruction and lols is a bridge too far

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

The Voice of Labor posted:

otoh americans don't give a gently caress about capital flight or infrastructure or consequences. balkanization won't be driven from the top down, it'll go from the bottom up. there's definitely enough martial enthusiasm and guns to sustain it against any kind of federal military intervention. it's also hilarious to me that goons mostly love trump, either for the chaos and accelerationism or just for the lols, but that balkanization, which is absolutely along the same lines of chaos, destruction and lols is a bridge too far

Most goons are well paid computer touchers, Trump's chaos won't affect them one bit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

super nailgun posted:

the age breakdown is not what I would have expected either. wish you could drill it down state by state.

It is absolutely what I would expect. Unlike say Brexit, secession in America is a radical option, as opposed to an attempt to turn back the clock to the time where all the old people were at their prime. Like, nostalgia and nationalism are on the side of non-secession, and then you add stability for stock portfolios and welfare, and only the most delusional old person is gonna bite. Meanwhile, the youth have far less reason for US-based nostalgia, and more economic reasons to just want to blow the whole thing up and hope everything works out. Like, what's the downside if you're 100k in student debt working a dead-end job? If your country secedes, you might've just made a 100k.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Fish of hemp posted:

Most goons are well paid computer touchers, Trump's chaos won't affect them one bit.

on the contrary, well paid totally useless sinecure positions in areas pushing the woke agenda are absolutely going to be trumped out. the only saving grace for them is that they're too greedy and cowardly to unionize, therefor attracting less trump ire in their direction

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

super nailgun posted:

People are finally waking up to the fact that the destruction of America would be good

I like him because he is the most anti-war president at least since ww2

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Weka posted:

I like him because he is the most anti-war president at least since ww2

only if you are specifically talking about war against putin sempai

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47480207

donald the dove out droned obama. he was rolling troops in afghanistan and yemen and somalia and he was saber rattling against china and is a tireless supporter of israel.

dude's as much of a blood thirsty despot as anyone else

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Wars started by Obama include but are not limited to

Syria
Ukraine
Libya

Wars started by Trump

None

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i don't like any american presidents.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

only if you are specifically talking about war against putin sempai

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47480207

donald the dove out droned obama. he was rolling troops in afghanistan and yemen and somalia and he was saber rattling against china and is a tireless supporter of israel.

dude's as much of a blood thirsty despot as anyone else

Obama did all that, just like he did the katrina response. Ask any American voter.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Arguing which president is better is stupid because they're all bourgeoisie monsters. For gently caress's sake, it doesn't matter what meat puppet has the title, they're all simulacrum of Capital, who is truly in charge.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Arguing which president is better is stupid because they're all bourgeoisie monsters. For gently caress's sake, it doesn't matter what meat puppet hasye the title, they're all simulacrum of Capital, who is truly in charge.

yeah and the ones that are remembered as being good are so because they died just before the moments when they really had to deliver, so the "What If" is preserved.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FDR would've only used one nuke

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

FDR would've only used one nuke firebombing and mass starvation

much more humane to inflict a Japanodomor

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

All this talk makes me realize that when balk happens, it will become much easier for certain bloggers and cspam senior regulars to initiate JDPON

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

on the contrary, well paid totally useless sinecure positions in areas pushing the woke agenda are absolutely going to be trumped out. the only saving grace for them is that they're too greedy and cowardly to unionize, therefor attracting less trump ire in their direction

been saying this!! come work a pallet jack. there's no vlookup after it kicks off

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

projecthalaxy posted:

All this talk makes me realize that when balk happens, it will become much easier for certain bloggers and cspam senior regulars to initiate JDPON

did someone say jdpon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-JrPFkcEq4

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Zodium posted:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Zodium posted:

i don't like any american

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

this is wild to me

National liberation for the Black Belt and Atzlán

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

this is wild to me

Are you saying it's wild that minorities want to succeed the most or that those numbers are so low

Because if it's the former than I've got news for you bout amerikkkan history

Weka
May 5, 2019

Zodium posted:

What about the president of texas

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Arizona refusing to extradite to New York for "lack of trust in the DA"

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/news/soho-hotel-homicide-suspect-extradition/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Watch NYPD black bag him.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

Texas seceding and then immediately rejoining Mexico

I'd actually move to Texas then

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'd actually move to Texas then

You could move to Mexico now, why would you wait and then move to a bigger, shittier version?

Weka
May 5, 2019

To do the most important thing anyone can ever do - own the libs

Weka
May 5, 2019

Which you will be able to do literally in the more likely event of Texas ceding and staying independent

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would anyone want to literally own a lib when they're incapable of producing any kind of value?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Did joe cave on the razor wire then or what.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Peanut President posted:

this is wild to me

:whitewater:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Are you saying it's wild that minorities want to succeed the most or that those numbers are so low

Because if it's the former than I've got news for you bout amerikkkan history

white folks being the least likely, considering how much i hear about it

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
seems bad!

Feds protest arrest of firefighter near site of anti-government standoff

"Ricky Snodgrass, a U.S. Forest Service fire fighting “burn boss,” was literally fighting fire with fire on a warm afternoon in Malheur National Forest when things got hot.

His crew was executing an intentionally set “prescribed fire” that land management officials use to reduce natural, hazardous fuels that can feed more extreme flames."

"Around the same time, Snodgrass called law enforcement to report people harassing the fire crew by driving aggressively in an area with a history of strident anti-government activity, including an armed takeover in 2016 of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge."

"Although Snodgrass called the cops, when Grant County Sheriff Todd McKinley responded to the fire scene, he busted Snodgrass for reckless burning, a class A misdemeanor, while the flames continued — removing him “from his crew in the middle of its active effort to extinguish the fire,” according to his defense brief. He was not indicted and arraigned until last month."

"Grant County District Attorney Jim Carpenter declined an interview request but did provide a news release issued by his office shortly after the arrest. “To be clear,” it said, “the employer and/or position of Snodgrass will not protect him if it is determined that he acted recklessly. That the USFS was engaging in a prescribed burn may actually raise, rather than lower the standard to which Snodgrass will be held.”

In an apparent reference to political tensions in the area, Carpenter added “many will attempt to hype this into something that it is not. The question is whether one neighbor, given the prevailing conditions, was reckless when starting fires adjacent to another neighbor.”

Weka
May 5, 2019

Critical support to sheriff McKinley for arresting this loose cannon who just burned down 20 acres of someone's land. Perhaps that had something to do with this threatening driving?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Laterite posted:

seems bad!

Feds protest arrest of firefighter near site of anti-government standoff

"Ricky Snodgrass, a U.S. Forest Service fire fighting “burn boss,” was literally fighting fire with fire on a warm afternoon in Malheur National Forest when things got hot.

His crew was executing an intentionally set “prescribed fire” that land management officials use to reduce natural, hazardous fuels that can feed more extreme flames."

"Around the same time, Snodgrass called law enforcement to report people harassing the fire crew by driving aggressively in an area with a history of strident anti-government activity, including an armed takeover in 2016 of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge."

"Although Snodgrass called the cops, when Grant County Sheriff Todd McKinley responded to the fire scene, he busted Snodgrass for reckless burning, a class A misdemeanor, while the flames continued — removing him “from his crew in the middle of its active effort to extinguish the fire,” according to his defense brief. He was not indicted and arraigned until last month."

"Grant County District Attorney Jim Carpenter declined an interview request but did provide a news release issued by his office shortly after the arrest. “To be clear,” it said, “the employer and/or position of Snodgrass will not protect him if it is determined that he acted recklessly. That the USFS was engaging in a prescribed burn may actually raise, rather than lower the standard to which Snodgrass will be held.”

In an apparent reference to political tensions in the area, Carpenter added “many will attempt to hype this into something that it is not. The question is whether one neighbor, given the prevailing conditions, was reckless when starting fires adjacent to another neighbor.”

This happens all the time btw. You'll have paramedics trying to wheel someone off on a gurney or firefighters using the jaws of life on a car trying to get someone out and cops will show up, start poo poo, and throw them in the pokey when they understandably get belligerent. And it's not like firefighters are some lefty bunch either

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Firefighters pretty notoriously aren't a patient and soft spoken bunch.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Firefighters aka water cops are chuds and therefore, will be destroyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Firefighters pretty notoriously aren't a patient and soft spoken bunch.

Firefighters also tend to rove in larger groups. Gang sized as it might be seen.

I would think that with all the dumb stuff that cops get into, they maybe wouldn’t want to antagonize one of the public servants that comes to their rescue when they do dumb poo poo in motor vehicles. But I guess thinking yourself infallible is a requirement to being a cop these days.