Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Last week I found a cheap little sonic jewellery cleaner online. It finally arrived earlier today

I'd been reading some articles about using ultrasonics to speed up diffusion, so rather than use it for any of its intended purposes, I decided to see if I could use it to make novelty booze.

This is my first trial run:
I had a mostly empty bag of cassia bark, so I put roughly equal amounts of the shrapnel into an old spice jar (going into the machine) and a glass (control)

I then put about 20 ml of vodka in each, left the glass alone and put the jar into The Device

(Machine indeed goes brrrr)

I could tell it was doing something, as it was leaching color out of the label I'd forgot to take off the jar. After about 15 minutes (in which I had to restart the machine a few times, as it turns itself off after a while) these were the results:

Top is control, bottom is the stuff from the jar.

Unsurprisingly, the stuff that had been through the machine tasted a lot stronger than the control, so I think I can call this a success. (Though I don't know if the effect is any greater than what you'd get from some kind of automatic stirring machine)

So anyway, I have this thing now. What else should I do with it? I'm mainly thinking about infusing other stuff into cheap vodka, but maybe I could speed-marinate meat or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's really neat! You could make some vanilla flavoring real fast with vodka and beans maybe?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's really neat! You could make some vanilla flavoring real fast with vodka and beans maybe?

Absolutely, I think I have some ~5 year old vanilla pods in the back of a cupboard somewhere that won't be good for much else by now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dzhay posted:

Absolutely, I think I have some ~5 year old vanilla pods in the back of a cupboard somewhere that won't be good for much else by now.

The only issue with vanilla specifically is how complete the extraction is amongst the range of possible extractive chemicals. You'll get something delicious either way, though it might not be the vanilla you expect. It would be interesting to make some "traditional" extract by soaking and do a quick extraction and compare how the two taste. Or to do multiple extractions over time and see if the profile changes much at all.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I've wanted to try alton brown's pepper vodka, i havent bothered because it takes a long time and I'm impatient. Maybe give that a whirl?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pepper-vodka-recipe-2103970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Today I tired making "whisky" by lightly charring some lumps of oak and infusing that into vodka.

I'm leaving it somewhere warmish overnight to see if that helps(?) and then giving it another run tomorrow.

Edit:

Eat This Glob posted:

I've wanted to try alton brown's pepper vodka, i havent bothered because it takes a long time and I'm impatient. Maybe give that a whirl?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pepper-vodka-recipe-2103970

I've got a pretty well-stocked spice cupboard, including at least 4 things that could be called "pepper", so I can definitely make this weirder and probably worse.

Brutal Garcon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 17, 2020