Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo

I've been reading the Finnish edition of Stephen Pile's The Book of Heroic Failures in bed and it's really weird because the translator/editor has added in anecdotes about his drinking buddies, mainly from the Finnish theatre scene back when it was published. Most of them are not about failures and IDK what why did this happen :psyduck:

e: they're not even amusing anecdotes

Anyway I should probably go on with reading fiction but it's been too hot for fiction.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

xcheopis posted:

For a moment there, I thought the "in bed" bit was part of the book's title and felt that was super mean.

oops

3D Megadoodoo

I've never read Clancy but I have a soft spot for Robert Ludlum for some reason. And Dick Francis because he always puts horses in the story in one way or another.

3D Megadoodoo

but also :lol: if you're never had a heroic failure in bed

like this one time i

3D Megadoodoo

Francis also kept his novels (at least the ones I've read) to a reasonable length. I hate the MUST BE 40 CM TALL AND 700 PAGES thing that's been going on with thrillers/whatever for the past 30 years or so. Francis, Desmond Bagley, Greene, that other Innes they knew what was what. Even Alistair McLean.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

3D Megadoodoo

cda posted:

Oh wow... Read The Left Hand of Darkness immediately

The Left Hand of Darkness is easily in my top-3 space novels. But then I've read like five so

3D Megadoodoo

cda posted:

I've read hundreds and it's still in my top 3

I've been getting more into them, or at least trying. I read Foundation maybe last year and liked it, and started on Hyperion a short time ago but I think I must've left it somewhere because I can't find it :( I did read a translation of Dune as a teen-ager but can't say it made a big impression.

3D Megadoodoo

Evil Bob posted:

I just finished "Magic For Liars" by Sarah Gailey. It was more enjoyable to read than it was to finish. It's a Noir Mystery set in a magic highschool and the main character is a non magic P.I. I recommend it but the ending felt a little bland and some sub plots that wound up feeling more like filler than anything leading somewhere.

After reading Rivers of London I've been extremely wary of any sort of magic cum crime literature :(

3D Megadoodoo

I love 90s graphic design.

Maria Lang is like the Swedish Agatha Christie maybe I guess. Just started reading this but I bet someone is going to get shot in Sweden in Summer.

3D Megadoodoo

Evil Bob posted:

Where can I find more magic cum crime literature? As a person new to the magic cum crime genre my mind is filled with the possibilities this genre presents.

inquire with you're local librarian i'm sure the result will satisfy

3D Megadoodoo

Jim is short for Jimothy.

3D Megadoodoo

i'm reading a book about art forgeries called "art forgeries" and it's rather badly written but very interesting and well-sourced. i think the only kind of "true crime" books i enjoy reading are ones where only rich people are affected.

e: oh i didn't know the writer was the lady from the antiques tv show but i guess it makes sense. also used to be married to a guy i know (of) through work. small country i guess.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 23, 2020

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

im having a great time reading dracula

i lost my frankenstein* on the bus :(

*) IT*S ACRTUALLY MY COPY OF "FRANKENSTEIN"

3D Megadoodoo

I didn't "get" the later portion of "Satan Arrives in Moscow"

3D Megadoodoo

Pizzatime posted:

Can anybody recommend the most generic fantasy book they ever read? Looking for heroes slaying dragons in dungeons.

Information I can offer would be: Name of the Wind (Fantasy): Good. The Priory of the Orange Tree (Fantasy): Less generic than I was hoping. Dresden Files (Mystery): More intriguing than I was expecting. Shadow of the Torturer (Fantasy): Would like to be less bored by. Dune (Sci-Fi): This book sure cares about politics. The Shadow Out of Time (Horror): Spoopy.

The Dragonlance novels?

e: I read the first one but I sold it off a few decades ago and I don't remember the title.

3D Megadoodoo

Pizzatime posted:

They're amazing, thank you! Here's a chronological list if anyone else wants to check em out: https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/dragonlance/

Oh I do have Murder in Tarsis. I don't remember it being very good. It was either that or one of the other too Murder in Dungeons & Dragons books I have where it all boiled down to: "Ah you see the murderer is the hobbit, for he is not a real hobbit - see he has the wrong colour eyes!" or something to that effect. Very Arthur Doyle but in fantasy land.

e: I actually got a Dragonlance novel months ago from a "take a book, please" box but I've misplaced it. I just finished a book so I think I'll look for it!

3D Megadoodoo

Found it!

3D Megadoodoo

Welp, just spoiled a book I'd just bought for myself. Never Google the author before reading something because some inconsiderate doodoohead Internet writer person will get you!

I paid 1€ so :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo

take the moon posted:

i dont watch movie trailers & dont read the backs of books before i read them :smuggo:

I thought I was safe as I only Googled the author but turns out it was his most popular book and purely by chance my eyes landed on some major spoilers as I was scanning the results because people were discussing them.

3D Megadoodoo

I listened to books on cassette when I still had a car. I enjoyed Svejk a lot that way even though I can't stand the actor who read it. I guess I just can't stand his face, which isn't a problem with audio.

3D Megadoodoo

The DPRK posted:

whats the skinny on infinite jest? good book? i get the impressions its difficult and pretentious and overly sentimental, which are all things i enjoy

Some lady doesn't want to date men who have read it and she wrote an article about it.

So IDK

E: I probably wasn't going to date her anyway tho.

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

u ever just stop & think sometimes like drat... hteres so many books

Whenever I venture into my study :negative:

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

often called the infinite jest of the early 17th century

Kidding's me? :thunk:

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

its fun to joke around :evilbuddy:

Jesting, infinitely.

3D Megadoodoo

I'm about half-way into a book called El Inocente and if the main character turns out to be innocent I'll be quite mad at the author for spoiling he own book. Also here's a picture of the book because I think the cover is a cool style:

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

ok but hear me out, what if hes not dead, its just an enchantment

Book II, Chapter I: "...And then I woke up, alive!"

3D Megadoodoo

I'm reading a political history (which was, at the time of publishing, political very recent or even current history) book on the bog. Seeing my dad's name and the date he got it on the front leaf made me realize I'm most likely the first person who's opened it since he finished it thirty-eight years ago when it was new. It's highly probable I'll be the last person to ever read this particular copy, too.

Makes U think.

3D Megadoodoo

I'm reading Dead Souls and its NOTHING like the games

3D Megadoodoo

cda posted:

Reading Gogol but I can't seem to search for anything

Thinking about binging it.

3D Megadoodoo

I'm loving the illustrations. Also the writing. Why did no-one tell me to read Gogol earlier? :(

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

bump im reading borges

i'm re-reading eco now and i didn't get the jorge of burgos connection when i read it as a teen-ager

3D Megadoodoo

I hate to break it to you but Narnia is fiction :(

3D Megadoodoo

I just finished re-reading (the Finnish translation of) Il nome della rosa and it's a good book and the translation is probably fine but, as I found out after looking at the Italian Wikipedia page for the book, they changed Adso's name to Adson :confused: As far as I can figure, there's absolutely no reason for it and now it's bugging the heck out of me.

Anyway I guess I'll start on La Sombra del Viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafón now. I bought it at the Red Cross shop for 3€ because it says on the back it's got a cemetery of Forgotten books in the story, which sounds cool. Some of my favourite books so far have been books about books.

3D Megadoodoo

i still keep conflating gravity's rainbow and infinite jest :negative:

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

my guilty pleasure is social media book discourse... i love to read posts arguing about wether or not its lame to organize your books by colour... or whether adults should read ya or not... or what books are for bros... or whether youre allowed to write in your books or dog ear the pages or break the spines... whether or not its bougie to buy new books instead of used ones or going to the library... whether or not books in the classics canon are good...

a former school-mate once asked me at a pub if all the books i have are somehow useful to me so i told him to poo poo the gently caress off.

now that's discourse!

3D Megadoodoo

Finished the first part of Cancer Ward and once again I've been bamboozled by a Russian book with an extremely depressing-sounding title not being at all depressing (the last one was Dead Souls). Those drat Russian book-titlers :arghfist::butt:

3D Megadoodoo

I started reading Vonnegut (Bluebeard) and noticed the spine says Vonnequt and it's making me irrationally annoyed.

Then again I paid 50 cents for the book at the flea market. Gotta love flea markets.

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

the master and margarita is a lot of fun. whatever satire is in there goes over my head but thats fine. also started listening to auidio book version of the jakarta method

READ GORKI

(nothing to do with Bulgakov, I just want people to read Gorki.)

3D Megadoodoo

Plutarkhos' biographies of famous men are really boring. I'm glad he's dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

I just finished Calvino's Le città invisibili and I don't know that I liked it as much as I should have :-/ This is the first time I've had this happen with Calvino; I guess I'm just a narrative guy.

e: Also I felt that there was a lot of repetition but maybe I just didn't "get" some nuances.