Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Re-reading all the Frank Herbert dune books to get hype for the movie. Next up is Dune Messiah

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

Crying of lot 49 is a great book. Tied with Mason & Dixon for my favorite Pynchon. Oddly, I have never made it all the way through Gravity's Rainbow. Next to Finnegan's Wake, it's the only book I've started but not finished. If nothing else, I for sure have the time to read right now, so I really don't have an excuse.

magic cactus

beer pal posted:

whts up yobbos heres what ive been reading. the calvino book winter traveler night is very silly and fun and good. u ever read a book and think wow the author really seemed like they were having a good time with this one. then i read the short stories collection exhalation by ted chiang and thought it was pretty good. i would describe it as "solid". i finally finished a scanner darkly by phillip k dick which was my book for at work and i didnt much like it, i found it very ugly in a way that i didnt enjoy. just this morning finished the sailor who fell from grace w/ the sea by yukio mishima & i dont know how to talk about a book like that so ill just say "its a wild one"

The only mishima i've read so far was spring snow but i really enjoyed that one. should read the rest of those books at some point. Calvino owns. Love everything i've ever read of his.

magic cactus

nut posted:

Robert Bolano

I really enjoyed 2666 even though it was unfinished

magic cactus

imo Ulysses doesn't deserve it's reputation as being an "impossible novel" or whatever. It's actually quite readable and funny.

On the other hand, Finnegan's Wake :argh:

Although tbh I think that's a cool idea and one that Joyce would have probably supported.

magic cactus

I have real trouble with auidobooks and podcasts. just in one ear out the other with me.

magic cactus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Jesting, infinitely.

BYOB: Jesting, infinitely

magic cactus

cda posted:

If I want to get depressed by a Portuguese genius, I will just reread The Book of Disquiet.

I relate to that book a little too much. It's probably the best writing on loneliness and being alone I've ever read

magic cactus

ulvir posted:

I read it back when I was rather depressed several years ago, and it was strangely comforting in a weird way, maybe because it sort of hit the same notes that sad songs do when you’re a teenager?

yeah there really is something strangely comforting about that book that i can't quite put into words. the first time i read it i had to pause for a bit because it felt like i was reading my own thoughts down to the random speculating about metaphysics.

magic cactus

khysanth posted:

A Sand County Almanac

Isn't that just dune?

magic cactus

nut posted:

Sea of Fertility tetrology

I read the first one of those (spring snow I think?) and really liked it, but somehow never got around to reading the others.

magic cactus

nut posted:

but maybe...gravity's rainbow?

:mods:

magic cactus

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

working my way through the works of Haruki Murakami

I hope you're ready for lots of Jazz, whiskey, and 40 year old marathon running authors with writer's block who chase women who are symbolic abstractions of memories of the only time they ever found love.

I do like some Murakami but reading his stuff back-to-back you get the sense he only really knows how to tell one story.

magic cactus

Diorama posted:

has anyone read Peter F Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy?

I remember really liking it when I read it in highschool and I generally don't like grand, sweeping space opera. I wish I could give more of an endorsement, but it's been over a decade since I read it. :shrug:

magic cactus

I picked up a bunch of books for my birthday and have finally started reading them! :grovertoot:
I finished reading a collection of Rilke's poetry, which I really enjoyed. I also read through Asylum Piece by Anna Kavan, which although there were some good stories in that collection, didn't blow my socks off like Ice did. I just wrapped up The Soft Machine by Burroughs, going through Nova Express next.

magic cactus

beer pal posted:

flights by olga tokarczuk.

just checked this out and it seems like my kind of thing, first 2021 addition to my "to-read" list. Thanks!

magic cactus

Finished Burroughs cut-up trilogy. Of the three novels in the "trilogy", I liked Nova Express the best, probably because it felt like the most structured of the three. They were a trip though. On a sentence level, Burroughs's mastery of the cut up technique leads to some beautifully hallucinogenic writing.

Next up some light reading with Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, because I haven't read it since grad school and still call myself a Kantian for some reason. Gonna be reading through the Cambridge Companion to it that I picked up because going through it alone is the definition of insanity.

magic cactus

I'm one of those weirdos who thinks the entire sprawl trilogy is amazing.

magic cactus

take the moon posted:

oh lol mc i saw ur post. yea fight me on the sprawl. im sure its actually good but lol

Count zero is the weakest of the three, but some of the world building pays off in Mona Lisa Overdrive which has the coolest "holy poo poo" moment that connects back to Neuromancer, making all three of the books equally necessary.

now if you want a real fight gibson has never written a bad book. even the one about the designer jeans :colbert:

magic cactus

I re-read Fernando Pessoa's The Book Of Disquiet on a long car ride last week. I'm generally not the kind of reader where a book connects with me on a "deep" or "emotional" level, but this one is one of a few exceptions. Sometimes it (still, somehow, despite being kind of over his clearly melancholic/depressive tone) feels like he pulled the thoughts directly from my head.

Great book.

Next up: Re-reading Finnegan's Wake

magic cactus

beer pal posted:

looking forward to notes from the underground

I read that for the first time around the same age as kids read the catcher in the rye and it explains a lot of things about me, in hindsight. Great book though. You can really see where Taxi Driver cribbed its character notes from. Probably my favorite dostoyevsky work.

magic cactus

comedy option finish your re-read with the limited animated series that aired on Canadian TV in like, the 90s. I recall it being a pretty faithful adaptation of the first book.

magic cactus

baka fwocka fwame posted:

the problem with this show was not enough blood

this stuff needed the watership down treatment

agreed but I remember it being pretty dark for a kids show on teletoon in the 90s. It's been over two decades since I saw it though :shrug:

magic cactus

I prefer the box ghost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBE4t2B7ZA

magic cactus

beer pal posted:

im reading pale fire (nabokov) pretty good

Pale Fire owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

baka fwocka fwame posted:

ah yes, like house of leaves
Probably a huge influence on house of leaves. Gene Wolfe too, now that I think about it.