Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

xcheopis posted:

The second in Lewis' space trilogy is decent, the final one not so much.

Kangaroo Jack hates reading and hates enriching his mind, so those bozos posting in byob will never think to look for me here, amongst the freakin nerds hehehe you've done it again kangaroo jack i say to myself

KANGAROO JACK I FOUND YOU NOW
U R NOT A DOG OR CAT OR COW
KANGAROO JACK ITS YOU I HATE
IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A G'DAY, MATE

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

The DPRK posted:

whats the skinny on infinite jest? good book? i get the impressions its difficult and pretentious and overly sentimental, which are all things i enjoy

what's difficult about it is the length, really. it's definitely kind of pretentious. the sentimentality is very much a rejection of ironic detachment. the text makes you just kind of sit with these bad feelings and acknowledge them.

one thing I like about it (although this is a lot of why people think it's pretentious) is that the plot mirrors the structure of the book and the difficulties in reading it. use two bookmarks, one for the main text and one for the endnotes.

more falafel please

forums poster

the good thing about reading infinite jest in a pandemic is that you don't have to feel self-conscious reading it in public

more falafel please

forums poster

blaise rascal posted:

556 / 1079

Reading this book has been a multi-year endeavor for me. But i read books slowly. Also, i've started and other finished other books while reading this one

nice. my feeling is you get to the eschaton you're probably going to finish the book

more falafel please

forums poster

Prof. Crocodile posted:

eschaton for the win!

well, not 'win' of course... iirc there is no winning, but i'd have to revisit the dozen pages of rules in the endnotes to be sure.

i agree that infinite jest picks up in the second half when the ostensible plot starts to move a little more deliberately, so you can gain a little momentum reading it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpfK7l404I

more falafel please

forums poster

The DPRK posted:

I'd like to read something like this again, but probably not as long. I really liked how insightful and diligent he was about describing certain feelings, and how he perceived things really clearly that were only on the edge of my awareness and brought them into full focus. Tbh I didn't care too much for the overly long sentences and paragraphs and at this point I am eager to get to the end of the story. Book recs welcome :)

Also really loved the funny, dysfunctional world he built but pays little mind to, like the mention of waste catapult and the fans is about as far as it goes without really the whole book being about the reconfiguration or whatever you call it. All the stuff what was on TV and who was a celebrity and what not, loved it

yeah, and there's a lot of kind of worldbuilding that gets hinted at in the beginning of the book that you don't really get the context for until later. after you finish the book, reread the endnote about J.O.I's filmography. it's great

more falafel please

forums poster

The DPRK posted:

ah yeah, i'm gonna do this :D i'm immediately going to re-read the first couple of chapters when i finish cos i feel like there's a bunch of stuff that went over my head first time aswell

without spoilering really (and you've probably figured this out already) there are parallels between The Entertainment and the book itself

more falafel please

forums poster

The DPRK posted:

there are? :O :O

also. gotta spoiler this [spioler]the endnotes are actually a literary device[/splojer]

more falafel please

forums poster

xcheopis posted:

I'm just tickled at Neuromancer being confused for a book about ancient Mesopotamian language. It's not as funny as 10-year old me thinking Lord of the Flies would be a boy's adventure book (which I guess it technically is but still), though.

iirc lord of the flies was supposed to be a critique of boy's adventure books where Proper Right Young English Lads showed their dominance over both Nature And The Savages

more falafel please

forums poster

Light Another House

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

There's a term I can't remember right now for something that sounds very tidy on the surface, but doesn't hold up well to scrutiny, and that quote sounds like one of those things. I like it, it sounds true. But I can't help thinking it's glossing over the whole development of tools, technologies, and techniques thing.

leaky abstraction?

more falafel please

forums poster

How Wonderful! posted:

I have this but haven't started it yet, I liked both of his other novels although Universal Harvester maybe a little less so.

i liked universal harvester a bit more, it felt a little more fully fleshed out than wolf in white van. i haven't started devil house either but I should get on it

more falafel please

forums poster

Dr. Honked posted:

i just got Ducks by Kate Beaton and it fuckin owns. it's extremely not cheerful but dang it's good

ooh yeah I gotta get this

more falafel please

forums poster

Ohtori Akio posted:

did anybody else go sicko mode on pern when they were a middle schooler and permanently alter their psyche

my wife is named after a pern character. to say more would basically be doxxing

more falafel please

forums poster

barclayed posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize John Darnielle wrote books. Got into The Mountain Goats a couple months ago from John Green; will definitely check them out.

oh buddy you're in for a rabbit hole. next thing you know you'll have a murderboard tracking the alpha couple's wave of personal destruction across the United States and be debating if jenny is the bike or a metaphor for satan or both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

my favorite "gender is fake even if it's in language" thing is that in Spanish a dress shirt, such as an Oxford is "la camisa", feminine, while a dress, such as a sexy little Donna Karin number is "el vestido", masculine