Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

take the moon posted:

i highly recommend reading the zero edition stuff, the art in those books is really nice and its def my most fun d&d experience

Is that what were calling the original release now or is there actually a product labeled "zero edition"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Zurtilik posted:

but which edition?!
5th!

These 5th edition sourcebooks are the first sourcebooks I’ve ever read (other than snippets in wtf d&d articles). They are really pleasant to read through because of all the pretty pictures. I’ve been dm’ing “lost mine of phandelver” for my family over zoom since June, which is my first experience as a DM. I think my 5-year-old nephew will join in the next session with a forest gnome fighter.

more falafel please posted:

nice. my feeling is you get to the eschaton you're probably going to finish the book
oh yeah the eschaton chapter was amazing

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

beer pal

wowee i loved invisible cities

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

wowee i loved invisible cities

yeah it's such a pleasure. ppeople are always calling one author or another a master storyteller, but that dude is a master storyteller

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Prof. Crocodile

more falafel please posted:

nice. my feeling is you get to the eschaton you're probably going to finish the book

eschaton for the win!

well, not 'win' of course... iirc there is no winning, but i'd have to revisit the dozen pages of rules in the endnotes to be sure.

i agree that infinite jest picks up in the second half when the ostensible plot starts to move a little more deliberately, so you can gain a little momentum reading it.

Prof. Crocodile

i don't read a lot of fiction, but i'm about halfway through 'the amazing adventures of cavalier and clay'.

it's one of those books that is very obviously well-written, and i can intellectually understand what makes it great, but it hasn't really grabbed me or fascinated me yet.

more falafel please

forums poster

Prof. Crocodile posted:

eschaton for the win!

well, not 'win' of course... iirc there is no winning, but i'd have to revisit the dozen pages of rules in the endnotes to be sure.

i agree that infinite jest picks up in the second half when the ostensible plot starts to move a little more deliberately, so you can gain a little momentum reading it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpfK7l404I

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

take the moon

by sebmojo

Zurtilik posted:

Is that what were calling the original release now or is there actually a product labeled "zero edition"?

i meant the recreation by the old school gamers group. the art for the books is lovely

I read that thread on the really creepy member tho

----------------

Ass-penny

Vei posted:

In Writing to Learn, Stephen Jay Gould gets cited a few times, and so I bought one of his books and it's really good so far:

Holy poo poo. Probably 9 years ago I helped a friend move. My memory is foggy, it wasn't her book but it was in a pile of things they were getting rid of, but I was looking at this book because it was only the front cover and first 270 pages. She didn't know what happened, where the back of the book went, and it came home with me and has been on my shelf since. I dusted this off, paged through this a bit, and now I'm remembering why I took it. I should read this. How bizarre a coincidence.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

xcheopis

I've spent this year just re-reading from my massive stock of books and will continue you to do so until I'm no longer depressed and stressed all the time.
But! I've had two good recommendations just recently and so will be reading works by Angelica Gorodischer (only a few books translated into English) and Naomi Mitchison. Manged to buy a couple of Gorodischer's books from Powell's (instead of Amazon) and I think I can get Mitchison from Half-Price Books.

beer pal

ive got some books on their way from powells too =] wish i could find a canadian store with as big a selection, it takes for ever to get things over the border these days (also the exchange rate)

rn im reading jane eyre & enjoying it so far

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

ive got some books on their way from powells too =] wish i could find a canadian store with as big a selection, it takes for ever to get things over the border these days (also the exchange rate)

i think it owuld be really cool to put together a reading list based on attics

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
jane eyre
incidents in the life of a slave girl
the picture of dorian gray
hellraiser
autobiography of anne frank
the yellow wallpaper (? kinda)
flowers in the attic
a light in the attic

pretty depressing freaky list lol

----------------

Prof. Crocodile

cda posted:

jane eyre
hellraiser
flowers in the attic
a light in the attic

it sounds like you're open to short horror stories, so might as well include 'dreams in the witch-house'.

cda

by Hand Knit

Prof. Crocodile posted:

it sounds like you're open to short horror stories, so might as well include 'dreams in the witch-house'.

oh yeah of course...that's a great connection

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
in a little princess she lives in the attic...that's another one

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
obviously wide sargasso sea. yo beer pal, you should read that right after you read jane eyre

----------------

beer pal

ya i was planning on it. it was hearing about that one that got me to read jane eyre. u mean right after like right after though?

xcheopis

beer pal posted:

I've been to Powell's twice. It was basically a religious pilgrimage.

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I've spent the last few years slowly perusing The Golden Age of Piracy: The Truth Behind Pirate Myths by Benerson Little

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

xcheopis

That sounds cool!

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

xcheopis posted:

That sounds cool!

Yeah, it procedurally debunks pirate myths and sheds a more practical light on pirate life in the caribbean sea during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. I like it.

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

xcheopis

Dick Bastardly posted:

Yeah, it procedurally debunks pirate myths and sheds a more practical light on pirate life in the caribbean sea during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. I like it.

Added to my list. :yayclod:

take the moon

by sebmojo

cda posted:

jane eyre
hellraiser
flowers in the attic
a light in the attic

to kill a mockingbird featuring attic finch

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

I'm reading Dead Souls and its NOTHING like the games

cda

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm reading Dead Souls and its NOTHING like the games

Lol this is a good joke I appreciate

cda

by Hand Knit
Reading Gogol but I can't seem to search for anything

3D Megadoodoo

cda posted:

Thinking about binging it.

bog pixie

cda posted:

deadking

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I just finished infinite jest so now if anyone asks me "have you read infinite jest?" I can (and will) say "yes."

Prof. Crocodile

take the moon posted:

to kill a mockingbird featuring attic finch

:golfclap:

Prof. Crocodile

i'm reading Underworld, and tbqh i'm very skeptical about how the vampires are going to tie in to the baseball memorabilia subplot.

nut

I have abandoned all the fiction I was reading in favour of balancing multiple nonfiction and I like it but at what cost

3D Megadoodoo

I'm loving the illustrations. Also the writing. Why did no-one tell me to read Gogol earlier? :(

beer pal

nut posted:

I have abandoned all the fiction I was reading in favour of balancing multiple nonfiction and I like it but at what cost

reading moby dick but just the whale facts chapters

nut

beer pal posted:

reading moby dick but just the whale facts chapters

I went in so hard on moby dick, I think I did the first 100 pages in two days and then I realized how much that took out of me with respect to doing anything else that day, esp writing and now I feel like I don't have the effort to continue it :smith:

I've relegated whatever effortful reading time I have for a book called Think Tank Aesthetics: Midcentury Modernism, the Cold War, and the Neoliberal Present, confirming that i am officially lame

beer pal

i often feel guilty i dont read more non fiction, i think ive only read like two this year and its freakin september

bog pixie

beer pal posted:

i often feel guilty i dont read more non fiction, i think ive only read like two this year and its freakin september

I've been enjoying Slime by Ruth Kassinger. And just got Entangled Life in the mail, it just came out!

Ass-penny

:popeye: the jokes in this thread are getting out of hand.

Finally finished Ender's Game today, what a shite ending. At least I can say I'm done.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bog pixie

bog pixie posted:

I've been enjoying Slime by Ruth Kassinger. And just got Entangled Life in the mail, it just came out!

Entangled Life came out in May.....how did this happen...