Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Beastie Boys album
Paul's Boutique
an album that is not Paul's Boutique
View Results

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCyqR2RXoQU

Spike Jonze (Sabotage, Sure Shot, Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win) made what's being called a 'live documentary' about Beastie Boys and their 30-year career from their start as a four-piece hardcore punk outfit to Rock and Roll Hall of Famers (for rap). It looks to be a combination dialogue between the two surviving members and rare clips of the group, showcasing the evolution of the last of the golden-age hip-hop outfits. I know I bought an iPhone SE PARTIALLY so I could watch this projected from my device to a TV, but I'd be watching this movie even if the camera on my current phone still worked.

Streams April 24th (probably) worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

the last of the golden-age hip-hop outfits.

Sir, Grandmaster Flash is still making music.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rando posted:

Sir, Grandmaster Flash is still making music.

Yes, but what of the Furious Five? :colbert:

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Good point. Public Enemy is still technically together though drat it.

Never a Beastie Boys fan but I will watch anything Spike Jonze has so much as pissed on so I'm in.

I'm interested in hip hop and its history in general so I'm sure I'll enjoy learning new poo poo about the beginnings of Def Jam and early acts that influenced the boys and stuff like that.

Rando fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 21, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Having watched the doc, I'd say the main improvement could have been talking about anything that happened after 1998. Still pretty good.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Sugarhill Gang does DJ sets at state fairs these days.

Anyway, besides the point, how is this? I heard it's like a TED Talk and I'm like a middle grade Beastie Boys fan so just gauging if I'll get much out of it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TrixRabbi posted:

Sugarhill Gang does DJ sets at state fairs these days.

Anyway, besides the point, how is this? I heard it's like a TED Talk and I'm like a middle grade Beastie Boys fan so just gauging if I'll get much out of it.

I'd say I'm in that boat too. I liked it a lot. It's part TED talk, part footage, part jokes. You'll laugh and you'll cry. And then you'll put on Paul's Boutique.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I was always a very casual fan of the Beastie Boys, but when MCA passed away it was a very formative moment for me. I realized that If you like these bands, you really need to go see them in concert because one day Poof, they're gone. Since then I've gone to many more live shows and I think I've enjoyed the music all the more for it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

SolarFire2 posted:

I was always a very casual fan of the Beastie Boys, but when MCA passed away it was a very formative moment for me. I realized that If you like these bands, you really need to go see them in concert because one day Poof, they're gone. Since then I've gone to many more live shows and I think I've enjoyed the music all the more for it.

I too was a casual fan who discovered License of Ill in college and largely had only got into that album ( hard ) and then skipped to Hot Sauce Committee Part Two. Still, I remember the exact place I was when I learned MCA died.

Used to go to an IRC and played online Tetris against someone who was apparently their first road manager, who unfortunately took his own life, and who I would only learn worked with a sick band years later when Paul Revere came on the radio and I had to discover more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I listened to Paul's Boutique for the first time in almost 20 years on an eight mile walk the other day and spent the entire time mouthing the lyrics and air banding like an absolute tool.

It was wonderful.

I need to watch this again.