Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Columbo is probably my favorite show of all time. I've made Columbo threads before but this is the first time I've ever done on in TVIV. If you want to rewatch with me (almost) all the episodes are on IMDB tv which is completely free although you have to sit through commercials. It's really not that bad though when you're dealing with a show where every single episode is at least an hour like this.

What is Columbo

You probably know what or who Columbo is already. Even if you've never seen the show his name's regularly used as an epithet for an amateur detective or a person who delivers probing questions, like Einstein for smart alecks, or Sherlock for, well the same thing people use Columbo for. A lot of times when people use it as a shorthand for a detective though they imply that Columbo was a hard-boiled grizzled guy, when in actuality that was the exact opposite of his persona.

Columbo is unfailingly polite, he's extremely friendly and if a person's offended by him or his actions he will immediately apologize whether or not he's in the wrong. People are offended by his actions quite often, of course because another of Columbo's defining character traits is that he's schlubby. He wears a rumpled old raincoat that he never takes off despite living in sunny Los Angeles, he drives a twenty-year old (in the 1970s) poorly maintained death trap of a car that he's extraordinarily proud of because "it's a classic", and he's never seen without a cheap cigar at hand. He is mistaken for a homeless man on multiple occasions in the series.

Columbo is also very bumbling. He'll lose his pen and ask to borrow one from the man he's interrogating for murder. He'll stop a line of questioning about where a perp was on the night of the murder to ask where he got those nice shoes and how much it might cost. He meets a celebrity in the investigation? You better believe he wants an autograph. He'll raid a murder victim's refrigerator because he had to skip breakfast to get to the crime scene on time.

Columbo is also all an act.

Well, not entirely. There's debate over how much of his persona is fabricated and how much is real. He shows a lot of these character traits when he interacts with the other cops at a crime scene which since the show never ever shows his home life (his wife is a constantly mentioned but never appearing character like Maris on Frasier) is the closest we get to seeing Columbo in his natural habitat, but there's no question that he plays these aspects up when he's interacting with people on the job. Columbo is extraordinarily observant and he's learned that people are naturally on their guard around cops, and when they are on their guard they don't drop clues or give info readily.

When he asked where he got those nice shoes? It was so he could look at the shoes up close to see if it matched the scuff marks found by door where the victim was found. That autograph? To see if the celebrity was left-handed or right. When he raided that fridge? Well he was just hungry that time.

Then we have the murderers, Columbo is an extremely formulaic show, and an excellent example that formulas aren't necessarily bad. The weakest episodes of the show are the ones where they try to mix the formula up a little. The murderers in Columbo are exclusively members of society's elite, movie stars, high-powered lawyers, gallery owners, politicians etc. The episode will always open with the murderer, show the motive for the murder (almost always money, status or blackmail) and then the murder itself and how it was committed. The murderer will always attempt to construct "the perfect crime". They'll come up with a fabricated alibi, a way to make it look like it was a robbery gone awry, or an accident.

The cops will come, take one look at the scene, say it was an accident, but Columbo will spot one detail that doesn't fit that makes him think there's more to the story. Columbo will meet the murderer who will do something or act in some way that makes Columbo immediately suspect them of the murder and he will then begin investigating the murder.

He'll introduce himself to the murderer, give them details of the investigation he probably shouldn't and then say how stumped he is by all these clues. The murderer who just can't let things go sees an opportunity and tries to give Columbo wrong answers on purpose to lead him off the track. The rest of the episode is a game of cat-and-mouse between Columbo and the murderer.

Columbo is a mystery show with a lot of humor hidden within it, almost always derived from the class conflict of the working class Columbo and the posh people and environs he investigates.

I'll be starting with Ransom for a Dead Man which is the second pilot for the show on account of the fact that the first pilot Prescription: Murder is one of the episodes which isn't on IMDB tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The best murderer is Jack Cassidy. Thats why they kept bringing him back

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

MrBling posted:

I love Columbo. Been watching it over the last couple of months and I don't know if its on purpose or not but almost all the murderers (so far, I'm in season 3) do a lot capital letters ACTING, chewing the scenery. It is especially fun compared to Peter Falk's understated acting as Columbo.

There is also a surprising number of big names involved in the episodes. (and a future big name in the case of Spielberg directing the first episode of season 1).

Lol William shatner's a murderer later on so just you wait.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

MeTV airs Columbo on Sunday nights at 8. I don't want to derail the thread too much, but MeTV has to be the best of all those digital sub channels. Their Saturday night programming block, headlined by Svengoolie, is really good. They air the Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock every Sunday-Friday evening. They air some good sitcoms and comedies in the mornings and evenings. Perry Mason twice a day. The station definitely is marketed towards boomers so you get all the awful ads you'd expect, but it's great overall.

Theres 8 posts in a 4 month old thread. You can't derail a train this slow moving

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Columbo Goes To College is easily the best of the 80s/90s films

100%. It would be way up there in the classic run honestly.

Having rich frat boys be the murderers wasn't just an excellent continuation of the "Putting rich guys in jail" tradition, it was also timely then and timely now. The last line of the episode is one of the frat boys very confidently asserting that he won't actually be in any real trouble because the system's set up for people like him and his dad never likes to see his children fail

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Am I remembering right there was an ep with Faye Dunaway where she pretty much falls for him and he likes her too and they're both resignedly sad when he finally gets all the evidence together? I seem to recall it being strangely sweet non-thing they had going on, and she wasn't an rear end in a top hat like most of his other suspects. See also Johnny Cash, who yeah, was the murderer but I think he was trapped in a lovely situation or something?

Yes. This episode was written by Peter Falk himself actually and is one of the two best post-revival episodes along with Columbo goes to college which is king of the "God I want see these assholes go to prison" dynamic for maybe the whole series.

Because it was written by the classically-trained actor whose played and thought about columbo for 30 years its actually unusually reflective and meditative about how Columbo feels about his job and duty although in the last scene its implied that all that reflection was as fake as the rest of him

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

MrBling posted:

If you're going to change things up I much prefer the subplot of the previous episode ("Now You See Him...") where Columbo is trying to get rid of the new raincoat his wife got him because it's too tight and he can't get rid of it. Only problem is that one of the other police officers keep finding it and bringing it back to him.

This is maybe my favorite episode of Columbo, marred only by the lounge singer boyfriend's long-rear end terrible slow song that eats up like 5 loving minutes of screen time.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Rollie Fingers posted:

Columbo is one of my top 5 TV shows of all time. Out of the later episodes 'Columbo Undercover' and 'Columbo Goes To College' are as good as the best episodes from the '70s.

'Dagger of the Mind' otoh is one of the worst things I've watched on TV.

It’s p bad. The murderer manages to completely tie up all loose ends and stymie Columbo. So instead of solving the case through his careful observation he bullshits evidence that doesn’t exist and fools the murderer into making a confession. Columbo’s usually really good about depicting the way the police should work instead of fetishising and hero worshipping the way they actually do like every other cop show. May as well have him start carrying a loving gun

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Absolutely not. Opening of season 2 with the conductor is one of my favorite episodes ever. You also get Leonard Nimoy as a murderous surgeon and the Cold War Chess episode with the most likeable Soviet on 70s American television ever is an all-timer

Columbo episodes basically carried over almost no staff besides Peter Falk between episodes because it was treated as a bunch of TV movies by Universal/NBC. So thinking about it in terms of seasons like TV buffs do for other shows is pretty useless since the quality will just vary between individual episodes. For example the best episode of all time IMO (Now you see him) is immediately next to the undisputed worst (Last Salute to the Commodore)

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 25, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Quixote posted:

My wife and I have been watching random episodes for a few weeks now after this thread got me nostalgic and it's been fun.

Yesterday we caught the one with Dick Van Dyke as the photographer who murders his wife. It was a good episode with a fun ending, though it did leave me wondering just how hard it might have been to get a divorce in the 70's if setting up a really elaborate murder scheme that involves shooting yourself in the leg is seen as the better option.

No fault divorce first became legal in California in 1970 not too long before that episode aired and was unheard of in the rest of the country. Before that you had to have evidence they were cheating on you, abusing you, etc. so it took several years and enormous lawyer bills. The last state to legalize it was of all places New York in 2010.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Vincent posted:

I'm making my way through season 1. It's excellent, I love it. BUT! What is up with those weird green cigars?

It was also really funny to see that the diner cook actor playing a cop in one episode. I like to imagine that Columbo did his buddy a solid and helped him go through the police academy and helped him get to detective.

Those are called Candelas which made up the majority of the American cigar market from the 50s to the 70s

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

candidate for crime is a classic how dare you

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Who's the best recurring murderer and why is it Robert Culp? Jack Cassidy

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Unquestionably a strong candidate, but he's still gotta be second place. Culp's weird and menacing in all his roles; I just can't stay mad at gleeful murder cherub Jack Cassidy.

If the murderers were being considered in a vacuum yes I would agree that Culp is better however every episode of Columbo is a two-hander and Cassidy has almost perfect chemistry with Peter Falk. Since the show is Columbo and the murderer playing off of each other this is not just an important factor but the most important factor catapulting Cassidy to number one

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Also: the actual scene with best cinematography is when he first investigates the body under the Santa Monica pier in the spy episode

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

In that revival episode Peter falk wrote where the woman murderer tries to romance him (actually p good for a revival ep) he just straight up raids the victims fridge because he’s hungry. It’s not even an act to get people off their guard it’s just him and some cops who presumably know his schtick.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

What I always find funny about McGoohan is that for a full decade, he was an upright, intense hero on British TV (first Danger Man, then The Prisoner). Then he moved to Hollywood and found a new career on TV and in film playing cocky rear end in a top hat villains who aren't quite as smart as they think.

America never got over the revolutionary war

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

MrBling posted:

Finished up the "original" run.

Kinda weak episode with the Irish gun runner poet. He wasn't a particularly interesting villain and Columbo didn't really seem to be very into it either.

Are the newer episodes noticeably worse?

Yes except for the college student one and the one with the girl who tries to honeytrap columbo

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

rewatched Bye Bye Sky High IQ Society Murder Case and the episode's pretty ok right until the end when out of nowhere you have one of the greatest scenes/endings in columbo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

wibble posted:

Which one was the one were someone kills the victum with a block of ice and then chucks it in a swimming pool to dispose of the wepon?
Also is Billy Connerly famous in america as he was once the villain in one of the later ones and I didnt think he was that famous???

Most crucial game. An nfl team manager murders the playboy owner who inherited the team because he doesn’t care enough about football

He is not. The murderers aren’t all dick van dykes and Leonard Nimoy’s. They put in character actors people recognize but haven’t heard of quite a bit.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 20, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Is columbo popular in Japan

reruns of columbo would get around a quarter of japanese households watching when competing against baseball games. it was/is v popular.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The tv executive who murders her lover when he doesn't promote her alienates everyone and ends up getting fired too. Columbo has a real 70s view on women in business.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

God I can't remember the drat episode but there's one where Columbo ends up going to talk to a database clerk and it's just delightfully awkward how put off he is by the whole thing

E: ah, it's "An Exercise in Fatality". After waiting for lile 10 minutes for a print-out of a person's phone number, Columbo make a call and leaves a message:
"Hello. This is Lieutenant Columbo: homicide. It's very important that I talk to you. You can call me at the main precinct. The number there is: you can look that up."

this has one of the worst "gotchas" of a columbo episode (and theres quite a few) Life in prison because of the loops on a guys shoe lace.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Labored explanations of cutting-edge (extremely outdated) technology is one of my favorite parts of Columbo

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

it feels very wrong to me for columbo to have any first name that isn't extremely italian

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

“The guy was about your height”

“Average height.”

“Or maybe a little shorter.”

“Or maybe… a little shorter” :(

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

they always seem to pick the worst actors in LA for the "random cop who gives columbo exposition at the crime scene role". The police commissioner one had a dude say his line 3 times because he kept flubbing it, there's of course the guy in the classical music one who delivers all his dialogue with his teeth clenched around a cigar and his thumbs in the sides of his pants. Just consistently awful.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

knox posted:

Columbo is always screaming though, usually for no reason. Yeah that one scene at the boat yard is a little overkill for sure lol but everything is so bizarro/feels sloshed like the daughter whose drunk the entire episode. I feel like there are much worse episodes even during the main era. The food critic episode I just watched for example, is pretty terrible and super boring compared to Commodore episode for me.

One of my favorite scenes of the entire series.

Food critic episode has Columbo having an extremely Italian conversation in Italian, scamming food every interview, and dodging every countless attempts to poison him at the end by just refusing to eat whatever the murderer poisoned. You’re nuts

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

knox posted:

Columbo is always screaming though, usually for no reason. Yeah that one scene at the boat yard is a little overkill for sure lol but everything is so bizarro/feels sloshed like the daughter whose drunk the entire episode. I feel like there are much worse episodes even during the main era. The food critic episode I just watched for example, is pretty terrible and super boring compared to Commodore episode for me.

One of my favorite scenes of the entire series.

I’ve mentioned this before but my favorite scene is the climax of the Bye Bye Sky High IQ society where Columbo goads the murderer into revealing the plan out of pride in his own intellect during a terrible storm in a back and forth almost choreographed like a dance to the classical music playing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

its not about people going to jail for their crimes. its about the murderer realizing columbo was a worthy opponent and honorably submitting to defeat as the loser in their game.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/calavera145/status/1533619442902523904?s=21&t=rxDTrC5BT3d_a82lJR3J_g

Last screenshot features Columbo using a gun 0/10

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SimonChris posted:

I just got the pun in Any Old Port in a Storm. I kept wondering what desperate source of relief or shelter the title referred to. It didn't seem to fit, you know...

most of the plot is Columbo trying to figure out if it rained that day or not

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SimonChris posted:

Columbo literally uses an old port wine to catch the murderer.

Spoilers for several episodes following:
While Columbo is marketed as a howcatchem where the mystery is how Columbo will catch the murderer this is one of several episodes where the title spoils the way Columbo catches the murderer. Others like this are By Dawns Early Light where the murderer saw something only briefly visible at dawn and Negative Reaction where Columbo uses a negative print to trick the murderer into revealing he did it in front of witnesses. Literally caught by his reaction to a negative.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Season 7 episode 2 is the one where Columbo just gets fed by every man in LA, gets in an Italian argument with the victims nephew and also it’s only like an hour long. It’s an excellent episode.

Episode 3s really good too and has some great ACTING!! scenes in it from the suspect.

Now if you’re talking episode 4 or even 5 I get it

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ynohtna posted:

Wow at the cast list for Troubled Waters. Even my very face-blind partner was all "Hey, I know that actor!"

The lounge band riffing on forever is also very true to my childhood memories of cheap 1970s holiday camp entertainment.

they riffed forever on Now You See Him too which is probably the greatest Columbo episode even with the 10 minute jazz riff.

They ended up cutting an aside reveal that the jazz leader boyfriend had a jewish last name either for time or for making the villain too unsympathetic (He's already a Nazi!) too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

:same:

Columbo episodes have always been about solving a crime that has already taken place, irritating the criminal into making a mistake or otherwise giving something away. There's very rarely ever been any kind of ticking clock. Seeing his lovely little car go screeching around corners as they all rush to collect clues just feels wrong, and makes them shoehorning in tropes like him doing One More Thing a few times feel out of place, like hang on I gotta stop trying to save this girl's life for a minute so I can do a Columbo bit :mad:

e:

Columbo's lit, ACAB:

https://i.imgur.com/u2T9Q9V.mp4

In like half the episodes that mistake is them just killing the person whose figured it out (more sloppily) instead of letting them be blackmailed though

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Did you see that?

Did you see what he just did?

Did you see that?

Because he had a reaction to a film negative, get it :haw:

this also happens with In Dawn's early light and any old port in a storm

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Now you see him is maybe the best episode of the series and it’s crazy it’s right next to the undisputed worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

My opinion on Columbo’s bullshit is that he id legitimately like that but learned to play it up because he is actually smart enough to use what he had instead of pretending to be what he’s not.

He absolutely wanted to buy that vent