Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I legitimately love the Paint 3D program that comes with Windows 10 because its Smart Select feature is so easy to use. Compared to something like GIMP's Smart Scissors it's night and day how easy it is to select what you want cut out, and the procedurally generated background it leaves behind can be a little wonky sometimes but it's usually more than adequate if you just need a blank space to place something else in it for memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQ0mCZ8c44

Jose Oquendo posted:

MacOS does this now. I think Win10 does too, doesn't it?

Yeah, every desktop and mobile operating system has some sort of day light/night light function built into it and people who install f.lux seem to mostly be doing so out of inertia since its been around since the Bush administration. Same with clipboard managers, I used to install Ditto every time I set up a new computer and now you can just hit Windows key+V and bring up a clipboard.

Pick posted:

Calibre for ebooks. It does what it's supposed to!

Calibre is great independent of the :filez: uses like the ability to strip the DRM out of ebooks and make as many copies as you want across as many devices as you want.

Rutibex posted:

ShareX - The best tool for ebook "backup" ever invented. Tired of annoying format restrictions and borrowing limits? Just turn it into a DRM free PDF in a matter of minutes
https://getsharex.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roVOf9J8XyU

I only use ShareX for image hosting but it's wonderful for that and completely replaced Greenshot for me years ago. It has browser extensions you can install so you can right-click>Upload with ShareX any image online and it will upload a copy to your image host of choice and even automatically copy the embed link so you can paste it into a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

genuinely pleasantly astonished that no-one's posted a certain popular RPG as their answer

audacity is very good, and i am a big fan of screen to gif for recording short videos on one's turned-on monitor. bit of a pain that you have to hook it up to an mp4 encoder yourself, but it's useful for making funny gifs.

I use GifCam, it's a really lightweight and simple program with pretty good editing and optimizing abilities, only real weak point is that it sucks at putting text on top of GIFs.

https://i.imgur.com/vrNwW0A.gifv

https://blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

guitartorch posted:

SHOuld I use audacity or garage band to make my epic podcast?

Use Audacity to make your podcast, the noise reduction feature alone is the difference between hearing a voice and hearing a guy talking with his air conditioner running in the background.

Brainworm posted:

I use Plex which is p. much the same thing. Rules.

It’s nice having your own server for streaming stuff like kids’ educational programs, or other stuff that gets watched and rewatched. You don’t have to worry about it rotating off a service and it doesn’t count against data caps.

Yeah Plex is incredible for letting you watch video files on your TV over your home network. No more thumb drives or laptops plugged into the HDMI jack.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sleeveless posted:

Use Audacity to make your podcast, the noise reduction feature alone is the difference between hearing a voice and hearing a guy talking with his air conditioner running in the background.

What is your podcast going to be about guitartorch, do you need a guest.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

guitartorch posted:

Thanks OP can I easily drag in sound effects that I get from YouTube studio?

Yeah it accepts pretty much every audio format.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

The two people I know who use it have their displays permanently, at all hours of the day for everything they are doing, show a very hard yellow tint like you're looking at the monitor through a glass of beer. Either something is wrong with their eyes to where that looks normal, or they were able to recognize how offputting that looked upon first usage and decided to continue using it to force themselves to get used to it. I have never had a problem falling asleep despite having my displays lean more blue, so I can't identify with why anyone would choose to use that function.

The purpose of reducing blue light isn't to be aesthetically pleasing it's to reduce eye strain and stop your circadian rhythm from getting jacked up. Anyone who has turned off their computers night light function in the middle of the night and recoiled from the blast of full spectrum light after hours of softer orange light knows that it works.

But by all means keep telling people that their physical and mental ailments are totally fake and made up just because you personally don't have them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

Why do so many people make software for free? It's cool of them.

Old computers were purely the realm of the wealthy or well-connected and modern day computer touchers are paid very well because they're one of the few career paths to not be automated or outsourced, it's easy to be principled and generous when you never have to worry about money.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cheat Engine is a tool for cheating in computer games. People who know about programming stuff can do all sorts of neat poo poo with it but for someone like me all you have to do is point it at a program, type in a value you want to change (like the amount of money your character has or how many of an item you're character has), and then narrow down all the variables it returns by changing the number of the thing in the game and then plugging the new value in. Once you have it isolated you can change it to whatever you want, bypassing hours of grinding, or lock the value in place to effectively give yourself infinite health/money.

Especially with the recent trend in games wanting to push microtranactions in single player games it feels great to just bypass that entirely. Just make sure you don't do it with an online-enabled game when the game is connected to the internet, if the values are stored server-side it will immediately revert at best and get you banned for cheating at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Is there software for downloading YouTube videos that lets you edit/clip the video as well? My current workflow of downloading a 10+ minute clip, booting up a separate video editor, waiting for it to load said clip, and then waiting again for it to export the selection is inefficient to say the least and a quick search at websites are mostly either broken or watermark the output.