Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Thank you to Abongination for the banners! https://imgur.com/a/KBDjTZS

What is This?
Combat Mission is a tactics wargame series set in WWII and the modern era. It uses a WEGO system where the teams enter simultaneous orders and then run the action for one minute. This LP is a Goon vs Goon game, where each team has a chain of command with goons commanding platoons up to possibly battalions.

Going Old School
For nearly a decade, we’ve been killing each other in the modern “CMx2” series that features a newer engine and visuals. After all this time we’re looking for something fresh, so for this match we’re going to try one of the old “CMx1” titles, Barbarossa to Berlin. This was the second CM game, released in 2002, and it’s my overall favorite of the series. As the title says, it covers the whole time frame of the eastern front, with unit rosters to match. It has numerous minor nations including Italy, Romania (on both sides), Hungary, Finland, and Soviet-led Poles, all with their own units and art. The visuals and UI are obviously dated, but the gameplay is still solid and the broad content gives us new kinds of scenarios to play.

How To Play
No CM experience is necessary to play and you don’t need to own the game! This LP is designed to be accessible to anyone, and we have long experience with teaching new players.
Barbarossa to Berlin Manual
You can get the game cheap and DRM free from GoG.
Past Normandy LP - L’Abbaye Blanche
Past Red Thunder LP - Snake Creek
Past Normandy LP - The Crisbecq Battery

I’ve made a primer to explain some differences in CMx1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tStVxYjbVXkluZ7BxHuiUZXqQgbhRxeNHb51IEtj_qM/edit?usp=sharing
And here’s a first look video for the engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwSj87B16nc

Signing Up
I’ve kept our first CMx1 scenario real basic since it’s new to most people. We’re just doing a quick and dirty meeting engagement between small forces on a small map, with simple objectives. My real goal is to find out if people want more CMx1 before I spend 30+ hours building a real scenario. The teams are post-defection Romanians vs Hungarians and I’d say we need 5-6 players per team for this one.

To sign up, just say so in this thread and add your name to this sheet. You can sign up for a particular role if you wish.

Rules are all the same as before, look in one of the previous OPs if you you're new.

That’s it! Get to posting!

Discord: https://discord.gg/AUQQwGd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Posting for the hype.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
For the glory

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

So I normally like to have my inputters lined up before I post an OP, but I'm still looking for this one. If you're willing, please sign up! If the prospect of making videos is deterring you, we can maybe do a setup where you just play the turns and I handle the narration. And if you're willing to input but lack the game, talk to me on the Discord. https://discord.gg/AUQQwGd

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fuckin love weird helmets.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Posting because I just don't have any other choice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In for the allies

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm in for this, either side. I can input but I have never played the old games, so I might gently caress poo poo up a ton!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Signed up for Axis side and if possible as overall commander I did it part way once so I'll give it another go this time from the start if possible.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Can I just generally sign up and get put on whatever team needs a person?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I'm feeling Hungary.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I'm interested in joining up for either side that needs a dumb jerk to lead some infantry to slaughter.

What's the pace/schedule looking like?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I'm Russian to get Finnin for winnin cuz I think I'm smartisan enough to have a bash smashin fash

I'm Hungary to play but I'll be on whatever side is Romanian after the initial volunteers

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 26, 2020

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Frances Nurples posted:

I'm interested in joining up for either side that needs a dumb jerk to lead some infantry to slaughter.

What's the pace/schedule looking like?

We'll do a two minute round every 2-3 days.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

We're close to full now. I think we can accommodate one more player per team, so jump in now if you're game! Remember to add yourselves to the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qfC2a68a6WaPVtbCmIq_HKS-iSKr1oZmPZECYmVJYog/edit#gid=0

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Played allies last game, I'll roll Hungarian this game.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Team threads are up!

Romanians: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921439

Hungarians: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921438

This thread will stay open to players a little longer. Please keep it spoiler-free until I say otherwise!

Players, ask me for your team role on Discord. There is also a Spectator role for people who want to want the team chats.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I'm very interested but I'd like to see a tourney play out first! Will this have video posted or be streamed anywhere? I'd love to watch this play out and the nation spread is a pretty good selection imo

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm very interested but I'd like to see a tourney play out first! Will this have video posted or be streamed anywhere? I'd love to watch this play out and the nation spread is a pretty good selection imo

Videos will be posted. I was under the impression you'd be playing, so that means we need one more for Romanians. Anyone else want to jump in?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Fray posted:

Videos will be posted. I was under the impression you'd be playing, so that means we need one more for Romanians. Anyone else want to jump in?

You know what count me in.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Ok, this thread is now closed to players! Spoilers begin after this post!

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Here we go. So the forces are about as close to symmetrical as I could make them. The Romanians have a slightly better armored car and slightly more heavy weapon firepower, while the Hungarian rifle platoons are supposedly a bit better. Pointwise it came out almost exactly even. I didn't want much armor impact for this one, though I needed to include some sort of vehicles so people can see them in the CMx1 engine. Both armored cars are pretty weak and the AT rifles on each team should keep them in check.

The teams need to take 2/3 of the objectives to win, and the core idea of this map is that there are two alternative ways to accomplish that:
1) Defend your "home" village objective in the west and win the eastern railyard objective.
2) Concentrate in the west and try to take the enemy's "home" objective.

So the teams need to figure out which path to victory they'll take, while also guessing what the enemy will do. Koolkevs on the Hungarian team has recognized this immediately, and it sounds like they'll be doing #2. Romanians are off to a slow start so no indications from them yet.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Looking forward to seeing the old engine!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i predict those ACs are going to die really fast and are probably only useful as some kind of mobile overwatch

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Looks like the Romanians are just going to deploy half and half and sleepwalk into the Hungarians. Then it depends on how each side reacts but the Hungarians are probably expecting it and I doubt the Romanians are expecting what the Hungarians are doing. The Romanians are also sort of hosed just by the team set up, they have Alchenar and Centurium who have played before and the Hungarians I think are all vets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i predict those ACs are going to die really fast and are probably only useful as some kind of mobile overwatch
It'd be a change from Last Guy With A Tank Wins.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, I maybe should have shuffled so the Romanians got Bac or sniper or someone. Even so, they've got three experienced players so it's not a total shitshow. They just gotta start talking to each other way more than they are.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
For those not following both threads:

Romanian -

bunnyofdoom posted:

Bunny's Battalion Orders

Alright Men, those Hungarian bastards are moving in. We threw off the shackles of the Nazis so their lickspittles are coming to put their boots to us. We are what stand in their way. We are going to hold the line and drive them off.

2nd, 3rd platoons, I want you to deploy at the Red Line, and move towards the Railyard. Speed is not of as much essence, as you may get LOS on the enemy as you move. You will detach your 60 MM mortars and attach them to the pink section. HQ will include the HQ squad, spotter, one HMG and one AT rifle.

1st platoon, and the remainder of the HQ assests( HMG and AT), we are to deploy on the pink link with the mortars, and move to the village. We want to garrison that farm house to keep our heads down.

Armoured Car Orders

Unbutton, and move along the road to alongside the farm house.

Hungarian -

koolkevz666 posted:

Okay comrades, our orders have to be in by Saturday but the sooner we work this out the better. To that end I have drawn up a more detailed battle plan for the attack on the western flank.

Battle plan

For the opening stage of the battle each rifle platoon will advance past our objective and take up positions in either the woods or the shrubbery at the incline leading down to the second western objective.

Deploy all units within the red box or as near to as possible where each platoon can move forward with their orders without crossing into other platoons.

1st Platoon lead by Sniper4625 is to advance along the yellow arrow and take up positions in the woodland shown.
2nd Platoon lead by Alikchi is to advance along the cyan arrow and take up positions in the shrubbery shown.
3rd Platoon lead by Bacarruda is to advance along the blue arrow and take up positions in the shrubbery shown.
4th Platoon lead by Panzer is to advance along the pink arrow and take up positions in the woodland shown.

Anti-tank rifle teams will have one going along the pink arrow with Panzer and the other going with either Sniper4625 along the yellow arrow or Bacarruda along the yellow arrow. I'll swap who has control of 1st platoon depending on who gets control of the other anti-tank rifle team.

The armoured car is to advance straight down the road along the black arrow, ideally you need to travel at the same speed as the infantry.

The command Hq, 50mm mortars and the off map artillery spotter will advance along the same route as 2nd Platoon, splitting off once they reach the first western objective and following the dark red arrow. Inputter if possible leave the 50mm mortars at the first objective and only move up the command HQ and off map artillery spotter along the dotted red line arrow until they reach a point where they have LOS on the second western objective. If need be move the mortars forward enough so that they stay within the command HQ 's radius to use them for LOS.

Arrows on the map are for general direction only, it will be up to each of you on where you send each squad from your platoons only use the arrows for direction.

For the speed of our advance we shall move deliberately up to and just past the nearest objective to us and will only rush to the jump off positions for the last part to avoid our forces getting worn out.

If we encounter enemy forces all units are to halt and engage spotted enemy forces with as much firepower as we can manage whilst we look at ways to counter and flank the enemy.

Please give your thoughts and opinions here or in the discord as the plan can always be changed as/when needed.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

FrangibleCover posted:

Looks like the Romanians are just going to deploy half and half and sleepwalk into the Hungarians. Then it depends on how each side reacts but the Hungarians are probably expecting it and I doubt the Romanians are expecting what the Hungarians are doing. The Romanians are also sort of hosed just by the team set up, they have Alchenar and Centurium who have played before and the Hungarians I think are all vets.

It'd be a change from Last Guy With A Tank Wins.

If the Romanian reinforced platoon on the left can get in good defensive positions quickly and hold their own, things could get interesting. If they crumple or are slow to step up a solid defense, Hungarians will run them over before the Romanian right flank can come in and have much of a meaningful effect.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

gohuskies posted:

If the Romanian reinforced platoon on the left can get in good defensive positions quickly and hold their own, things could get interesting. If they crumple or are slow to step up a solid defense, Hungarians will run them over before the Romanian right flank can come in and have much of a meaningful effect.
No argument, but the Hungarians are already prepared for a Romanian hook from the right as a distinct possibility and know they have to go hard early. The Romanians have to identify that the Hungarians are refusing a flank, reorient and attack. Romanian command so far has been kind of disjointed, they're not set up well and I don't know if they're going to get the right conclusion early enough to make it count.

Shaping up to be an interesting one either way.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hungarians are making a last minute change to hold one platoon in reserve, mostly just cause they didn't like how crammed their frontage was going to be. If the Romanian main effort ends up wheeling into the Hungarian left, that reserve could be pretty crucial. I think we're going to end up in a race between the Hungarian right and the Romanian right.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Hungarian right doesn't have as far to go as the Romanian left, so based on this I'll give the opening edge to the Hungarians. One Big Force with reserves is usually a bit easier to manage than two separate forces, as well.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
The reinforced platoon they are attacking has all the mortar assets doesn’t it? Would be interesting if they pathed into a large clump on the way south, though holding some men back might stop this.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 1: Turns 1-3

First let's recap the teams' respective game plans. The Romanian path to victory is to defend the west while seizing the east. West they have one platoon, the AC, and their fire support for the defense, while in the east they have the other two line platoons marching on the railyard. Conversely, the Hungarians are going all in on blitzing the western points. They have just one platoon in close reserve and everything else is going to push south together.

In our opening turns, infantry claim their respective home objectives and the eastern Romanians advance quickly, nearly reaching the railyard at the cost of fatigue. The Romanian PSW armored car spots and fires at distant Hungarians causing no casualties. In the final turn, the Hungarian Csaba noses forward into a hull-down engagement of the PSW. As the PSW had been briefly seen by the Hungarian infantry, the Csaba is able to quickly reestablish vision on it and get the first shots. Its second shot penetrates the vulnerable turret, killing the gunner and destroying the autocannon before the PSW retreats.

A good start for the Hungarians. This doesn't mean the Csaba gets to start running roughshod over the Romanians; an AT rifle is close at hand and almost any shot from it should penetrate. However, the Romanians must buy time in the west until their main effort can pivot off the railyard. This swift defanging of the armored car reduces their ability to do so.

Both teams, but more so the Hungarians, are now twigging to the enemy intentions. Overall, I'm liking the Hungarians here. They have the clearer vision of how they want to proceed in this match. They're taking the riskier play in that they must successfully attack within a finite window, but they're decisively committing to make that gamble pay out.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Abongination posted:

The reinforced platoon they are attacking has all the mortar assets doesn’t it? Would be interesting if they pathed into a large clump on the way south, though holding some men back might stop this.

Just talked about this some on spectator discord. The mortars are definitely the key to the defense. Overall, HE is somewhat less lethal in this engine but still, if the Romanians hold it'll be because they did well with those. Their current positioning has rather constricted vision though; the Hungarians could get pretty close if they play the terrain right. And the Hungarians have their own mortars close at hand, so they won't be the only ones getting rained on.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fray posted:

Just talked about this some on spectator discord. The mortars are definitely the key to the defense. Overall, HE is somewhat less lethal in this engine but still, if the Romanians hold it'll be because they did well with those. Their current positioning has rather constricted vision though; the Hungarians could get pretty close if they play the terrain right. And the Hungarians have their own mortars close at hand, so they won't be the only ones getting rained on.

"Overall, HE is somewhat less lethal in this engine"

It still models treebursts well, you can really murder guys with mortar rounds if they're in the forest. Not sure if any of the players know that though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Why were the Romanians trying to move up the mortars on their left flank in turn 6 at all? They had them in a great firing position in the woods and then went forward into the open. In CMx1 if on-map mortars are in command, they can fire at things out of their LOS but in LOS of their commander, so they could have just scooted that platoon leader forward into one of those little houses and probably been in a great spotting position.

I wonder if the Romanians will figure out from these turns that 2/3rds of their infantry is up against thin air.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 2: Turns 4-5

Catching up. Nothing really of interest this round. Both teams' infantry are still moving to contact.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 3: Turns 6-7

We start to get a bit more action this round. The Hungarian center platoon makes contact with the Romanians around the church and trades light casualties. The Romanians get caught moving their mortars through the open are are beat up a bit. Not terribly, but that's not what they need to have happen with their mortars. The rest of the Hungarian attack is moving to contact, taking their time to manage fatigue. The Romanian main effort reaches the railyard but obviously is finding that side of the map deserted. I don't think they've caught on yet but we'll see if that changes as they discuss this round.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Not looking great for team Romania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Not looking great for team Romania.

Looking really bad. I think we commented earlier about how they need to stand tough on the left there with a good defense so they have time to wheel in with the rest of the force but they've made two mistakes - moving the infantry in that platoon to far forward and too spread out - two squads by themselves out of command over to the left and two squads forward to the low wall rather than setting up in the church, which they're now having to retreat back to under fire.

Which is not as big of a problem as getting two mortar teams shattered morale right when you need their fire the most. They could be dropping rounds on that forward Hungarian platoon right now and getting pins and casualties. Instead they've broken the morale of 2/3rds of their essential mortars.

Why would you not leave them back safely in the woods with a forward spotter directing their fire from command distance?? Do players not know that on map mortars in CMx1 can fire at stuff out of their LOS if they are in command range of an officer who can see it?

The Hungarians have a huge opportunity here.