Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

gohuskies posted:

Do players not know that on map mortars in CMx1 can fire at stuff out of their LOS if they are in command range of an officer who can see it?
I should imagine they don't. I certainly didn't.

Romanian morale is still up though, which is nice to see. Mind you, high morale as a result of total misunderstanding of your tactical situation is probably bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 4: Turns 8-9

Catching up again. Not much happened this round anyway. It's taking a bit for the teams to move their infantry into contact. The teams trade some more fire in the west and make some contact. The Hungarian left tries to advance across the middle road and gets pinned by fire from the Romanian right. After this round the teams pretty well know what the other is doing.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 5: Turns 9-10

The Hungarian attack is now it heavy contact with the church defenders, and they are trying to advance under fire from them and the Romanian right. Hungarians are being cautious on their right since they don't know the AC has been defanged. Their own AC reappears and puts some fire on the defenders. Mortars from both teams start firing and the Romanian ones do some good work against the Hungarian center.

Fray fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 18, 2020

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I wonder how long it will be before the Hungarians realize their taking fire from the factory. They seem to think it's only coming from the church.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Have to give the Romanians credit for hanging tough at the church. It's only a few units they have putting out fire but it's saving their butts. The Hungarian plan of just charging a whole platoon out into the open unsurprisingly didn't work great, I don't understand exactly why they did that when they could have continued to advance along the flanks of the church. I think Hungarians can still win if the Romanian right flank is slow to arrive and the Hungarians put together a more effective attack.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 5, 2020

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 6: Turns 11-12

The Hungarian center decides to bayonet charge the church over an open field. That goes badly. They finish off the Romanian AC with an AT rifle and take a couple hits on their own AC that don't do much. The Hungarian left does get across the middle road and their right advances farther.

Fray fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 22, 2020

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The Hungarians had a much superior battle plan, but they're really bungling it up in execution. For all the fire they're putting at the church, they got maybe one casualty out of it and not much suppression, even. They need to bring their flank platoons into action and soon. Even if the Romanian right shows up late to the party, if they don't capture the church, the Romanians still get an easy win. No chance of grabbing the rail yard on a counter-attack - it's much too late for that.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Tevery Best posted:

The Hungarians had a much superior battle plan, but they're really bungling it up in execution. For all the fire they're putting at the church, they got maybe one casualty out of it and not much suppression, even. They need to bring their flank platoons into action and soon. Even if the Romanian right shows up late to the party, if they don't capture the church, the Romanians still get an easy win. No chance of grabbing the rail yard on a counter-attack - it's much too late for that.

Yeah, they should be having covering fire from the center while the flanks advance, which seems like what they're trying now.

Attacking an MG in heavy cover like that church with just infantry can be done but it's not simple. Stuff like using the right commands, advance and assault instead of move and fast, etc, becomes way more important. Guys on "advance" expect to get shot at and their morale is stiffer under fire, guys on move or fast much less so. I don't know what commands exactly the Hungarians are issuing. Also if you just fire on the MG unit, as soon as he ducks down to catch his breath then your covering fire loses LOS and stops shooting, so the MG rallies immediately and is back up and returning fire, and your covering units have to reacquire him. If you manually area target at the point where the MG is instead, when he ducks down and LOS breaks your covering fire keeps coming in, and he's less likely to raise his head back up. I definitely think they aren't doing this. Some of these little tactical things are way more important in infantry-infantry fights than in a tank fight, when right about now you'd probably just roll in a tank or an assault gun to slam some HE into the church and make things simple.

I'm just the guy in the peanut gallery bitching though, I don't want to come off like I'm denigrating the players in any way. At least they're playing while I don't do anything but critique.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 21, 2020

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 7: Turns 13-14

The Hungarian right advances and makes contact with a Romanian squad. The Hungarians take a few more casualties and inflict none on the defenders. They're not really establishing the fire part of fire & maneuver so the defenders are free to just shoot up advancing units. The Romanian right is nearing a point where they can start to turn the Hungarian flank, and the Hungarian reserve is already committed to the attack.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Have to offer a mea culpa to my last post, looking closely it does look like the Hungarians are doing some of the things I talked about like area fire for suppression. Still agree that the "charge on all fronts" strategy isn't looking fantastic. It'll be interesting to see what happens when that Romanian platoon gets in firing range in a couple turns.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 8: Turns 16-17

The Hungarians have advanced pretty close to the church now. Their right gets chewed up some more as it advances, but they're in cover now near the objective. Their AC loses its gunner to an ATR but is still alive and puts down some support fire.

The match is into crunch time now. Our clock is short and it's on the Hungarians can finish their push in the next eight minutes. Every minute, the Romanian right is going to be messing with them more so things so this is going to be close. The Hungarians are down about a platoon worth of men and the Romanians are down about a squad worth, mostly in their mortar teams. The defending rifle squads are virtually untouched - the Hungarians really haven't put much fire on them. The Hungarians do have all their off-map munitions still. That spotter is just hanging out at their home objective.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 9: Turns 18-19

The Hungarians continue to press close on the church. The Romanian left and Hungairan right are now almost in melee range. Both sides are having morale issues with the heavy fire being exchanged. The Romanians still have a few mortar rounds that they're calling danger close into the firefight. The Hungarians are finally ordering in their off-map spotter but I'm not sure it's going to have a chance to matter before time expires. I think they held it back way too long.

The Hungarians lose their AC to point blank fire from an ATR that snuck up on it. The bailed crewman then goes all murderhouse and pistol-whips them to death. If you haven't heard it before check out the video for the hilarious melee sound effect this game has.

Fray fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 4, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

If the Hungarians actually manage to get a squad close enough to the church objective to deny the Romanians sole control, that would really be something, but I think the Hungarian player could be getting their flag on it because their fog of war shows only the Romanian icons in it, not the units. I can't remember the exact rules about how close you have to be to contest but if I recall correctly there might be something about having to be in good order to contest, you can't be routed or panicked, but I could be misremembering. The Hungarians have taken more casualties so if each side only has sole control over one objective, I'd expect the Romanians to still win the point tiebreaker, but it'd be close.

Credit to that Romanian platoon around the church for hanging tough and for ending up in a deployment that took advantage of cover well. Those squads on the left ambushing the platoon made a big difference, if that platoon gets to the edge of those woods in good order and can start getting more effective suppressive fire on the church, maybe the final attack on it has a chance. Instead they get there piecemeal and with damaged morale. And the church is such a fortress of a building that the suppressive fire from the rifles of the infantry squads from the platoons to the front never really did much.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Round 10: Turns 20-22

Catching up. At this point we decided to increase the rounds to three turns.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

We just completed the final round. Congratulations to the Romanians on a Minor Victory!

I'll post the update to here once both teams have their videos up. The Hungarians managed to contest the Church objective on the final round. Thus, the teams tied on objectives and the Romanians take a small victory due to casualty score.

Thank you to everyone for playing and as always thank you to the inputters!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gohuskies posted:

Looking really bad. I think we commented earlier about how they need to stand tough on the left there with a good defense so they have time to wheel in with the rest of the force but they've made two mistakes - moving the infantry in that platoon to far forward and too spread out - two squads by themselves out of command over to the left and two squads forward to the low wall rather than setting up in the church, which they're now having to retreat back to under fire.

Which is not as big of a problem as getting two mortar teams shattered morale right when you need their fire the most. They could be dropping rounds on that forward Hungarian platoon right now and getting pins and casualties. Instead they've broken the morale of 2/3rds of their essential mortars.

Why would you not leave them back safely in the woods with a forward spotter directing their fire from command distance?? Do players not know that on map mortars in CMx1 can fire at stuff out of their LOS if they are in command range of an officer who can see it?

The Hungarians have a huge opportunity here.

I want to explain this one because this was a little bit of a fuckup by me - you've got to remember that there was only one HQ on the Romanian left which was the Platoon HQ, the Company HQ had been deployed up on the right hand side. So when that HQ moved forward I had a bit of an 'oh poo poo' moment where I realised my team were expecting those mortars to do indirect fire, but I hadn't explained that the effective command range of a platoon HQ is about 25-30m. If they were left behind they wouldn't be able to provide any indirect fire support. I thought I'd be able to get them all safely behind the church wall before the shooting started, it turns out I got 1 of 3. I had a bit of a struggle over whether I had a right to move the mortars without explicit instructions to and in the end I came down on the side of 'the team is expecting me to keep them under command'.

As I say in the later turn, I think that actually turned out to be a lucky break because they recovered just in time to fire their rounds into the Hungarian platoons massing at their start point.

I do think the whole situation on the Romanian left flank is a good illustration of why HQs are an important limited resource in this game and why being out of command is a Bad Idea.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I want to explain this one because this was a little bit of a fuckup by me - you've got to remember that there was only one HQ on the Romanian left which was the Platoon HQ, the Company HQ had been deployed up on the right hand side. So when that HQ moved forward I had a bit of an 'oh poo poo' moment where I realised my team were expecting those mortars to do indirect fire, but I hadn't explained that the effective command range of a platoon HQ is about 25-30m. If they were left behind they wouldn't be able to provide any indirect fire support. I thought I'd be able to get them all safely behind the church wall before the shooting started, it turns out I got 1 of 3. I had a bit of a struggle over whether I had a right to move the mortars without explicit instructions to and in the end I came down on the side of 'the team is expecting me to keep them under command'.

As I say in the later turn, I think that actually turned out to be a lucky break because they recovered just in time to fire their rounds into the Hungarian platoons massing at their start point.

I do think the whole situation on the Romanian left flank is a good illustration of why HQs are an important limited resource in this game and why being out of command is a Bad Idea.

I agree with your later points and I certainly didn't mean to come off as criticizing you or anyone else playing, though I see how it could be read that way. Just doing a play-by-play kind of thing as I saw it happening.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 4, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gohuskies posted:

I agree with your later points and I certainly didn't mean to come off as criticizing you or anyone else playing, though I see how it could be read that way. Just doing a play-by-play kind of thing as I saw it happening.

Oh I definitely watched the turn when it happened and thought 'oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo have I just hosed up and lost the game for my guys doing something I arguably wasn't supposed to do'.

I think this is something to think about for how inputters play with this game engine because the abstraction of the simulation and the importance of staying in command (which you can't really judge well if you aren't actually in the game) means I think orders need to be a bit more purposive and inputters should be expected to have a bit more latitude to play to intent.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
My kingdom for some machine guns.

Good game!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hello, why has there been Goon vs Goon CM LP happening without me and how can I fix that?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

simplefish posted:

Hello, why has there been Goon vs Goon CM LP happening without me and how can I fix that?

There will hopefully be a big goon vs goon tank battle starting sometime in the future so keep an eye out for that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Awesome, will there be a post at the end of this thread directing people there when it's up?

If so I'll just keep this bookmarked

simplefish fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 17, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

simplefish posted:

Awesome, will there be a post at the end of this thread directing people there when it's up?

If so I'll just keep this bookmarked

Best to also follow the grognard games thread because Fray tends to advertise them there.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Since it hasn’t been posted in here yet: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

With everything that's going on, there's no telling what might happen. If you want to continue following these LPs, get on the Discord in the op, and/or the general grog Discord: https://discord.gg/GRUU6HZ

No idea how or if this will continue, but at least make sure you have an external channel to us.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 24, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Fray posted:

Since it hasn’t been posted in here yet: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...8980&perpage=40

With everything that's going on, there's no telling what might happen. If you want to continue following these LPs, get on the Discord in the op, and/or the general grog Discord: https://discord.gg/GRUU6HZ

No idea how or if this will continue, but at least make sure you have an external channel to us.

The link seems busted for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Linking threads in the Awful app turns out to be tricky. Try now.