Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hello fellow goons with spoons! This cook or die will feature bread! You can make any kind of bread it doesn't matter. I was planning on making this just banana bread but considering the shortages of everything up to and including even flour or yeast, I was easily convinced to just make it simply bread. I don't think that we're going to really punish anyone that can't make anything in the time allotted which I'm thinking is May and maybe June? I don't know, everything scary out there and so we should all just have fun making bread.

For my first bread I went ahead and made Chrissy Teigen's banana bread.

Here's the recipe

Ingredients
2 c. mashed very ripe bananas (from about 6 bananas)
4 large eggs
2/3 c. canola oil, plus more for the pan
2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
2 c. sugar
1 3.5-oz box vanilla instant pudding mix
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
1 3.5-oz bar dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
Salted butter, for serving
Directions
Heat the oven to 325°F.

I used bananas this brown

In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs and oil.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking soda and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine well but gently

Fold in the coconut and chocolate chunks.

Grease and flour a Bundt pan. Pour the batter into the pan.

Bake until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 60 to 80 minutes. (Test it with a toothpick at around 50 minutes.) Let it cool slightly in the pan, then use a butter knife to gently release the cake from the sides of the pan and around the inner circle, then flip it onto a plate.

Slice, slather on some butter from the last CoD and serve!

Yeah I know banana bread is basically cake. Cake is also a bread. I'll probably make a different bread during this because quarantine is boring!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thread stickied, also good timing because I'm making sourdough today.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I will make a bread. What kind of bread? I don't know. Maybe cornbread since I already know I can make that. But also maybe no knead bread, or even a challah! Or a soda bread, I haven't tried that yet...

Your banana bread looks amazing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm in, gonna do a FSWY for the first time in a while

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Oh hell yeah, I've been struggling to get on my wife's level re: bread so I'll take this as an opportunity to learn from the expert.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm in! BTW everyone with banana bread needs to toast a slice in butter for breakfast!

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Oh hell yeah, count me in! This is a perfect excuse for me to start doing more exciting things with sourdough.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

How broadly are we talking about "bread" here? Could I do soft pretzels? I love the Szechuan soft pretzels from the V Street cookbook and would love an excuse to make them again.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

If I can find any loving bread flour, I will bake or die.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I will make a bread.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

How Wonderful! posted:

How broadly are we talking about "bread" here? Could I do soft pretzels? I love the Szechuan soft pretzels from the V Street cookbook and would love an excuse to make them again.

I made a cake in the op. Yeah those count, go have fun!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 26, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Bread needs to be baked, not just boiled.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Rice-Cooker-Bread/
:negative:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is funnel cake a bread?

Out of desperation I tried a pizza dough made with sour cream and mayo by some Russian granny that had 40m views on YouTube. It basically ended up being a bad pizza but fantastic Dutch baby that happened to be smothered in sauce and meat.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Croatoan posted:

Edit for rules: Pasta is not a bread. Bread needs to be baked, not just boiled. You can boil it in addition like bagels but it needs to be baked.

im going to make steamed bread and you cant stop me :colbert:

I did make cornbread yesterday to go along with chili but I didnt make it knowing CoD was going on, so assuming I can get my hands on some rye flour, I'll steam some bread in a can like a proper new englander

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Eat This Glob posted:

im going to make steamed bread and you cant stop me :colbert:

I did make cornbread yesterday to go along with chili but I didnt make it knowing CoD was going on, so assuming I can get my hands on some rye flour, I'll steam some bread in a can like a proper new englander

Well drat, I didn't even think about steamed buns. I'm not going to litigate what a bread is y'all, the point is to have fun.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
gently caress it. If I can, given the quarantine bullshit loving up everything, I will give this a shot. Not gonna do my customary toxx though because these are uncertain times.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I got to double up on Cook or Die with yesterday's butter making and khachapuri baking.

Based off of Chef John's recipe

We overcooked the bread just a touch. Next time, we'll pull the khachapuri's out of the oven earlier to put in the butter and eggs as our overcooking the bread was to get the eggs done enough for everyone's liking.

tkensiski
Aug 26, 2016
One does not simply make bread on their first try so heres my journey... Ok maybe some can :middle_finger: to you....

Also I have a hard time following instructions without tweaking them so once I finally found a recipe that told me what to look for in the consistency of the dough everything started to work as expected. The following is based on A Perfect Loaf: Beginners sourdough bread and later on The Clever Carrot: Artisan Sourdough with All Purpose Flour

Im too lazy to post the recipe but for those who struggled like me in making bread heres my few words of useless advice: Don't assume you know better... and the most important thing I learned was all purpose flour is different than bread flour... The dough should feel soft and stretchy… not wet, overly sticky, or soupy.

Batch 1: This batch was an experiment, turns out my starter wasn't really that mature yet since I was using tap water rather than filtered water...
Overall this one was super dense had a light sourdough tang, I was super proud of it even tho as I learned later it SUCKED...
Exterior of the pancake:

Interior of the pancake

Batch 2: Turned out pretty good considering all that changes was my starter was now rising like crazy and happy as a clam

Batch 3/4: More of the same, but starting to figure out whats off.
Realizing that my dough is way too "soupy" and wet to really work with and I use GOBs of flour during shaping to just work with it...

Batch 5: Fifth times still not the charm, but things make a lot more sense now!
Used way too much flour since I was tweaking the consistency during the knead...
However the dough was MUCH easier to work with and had an actual skin during the process rather than a wet soupy mess that would just stick to everything.
In total used ~1 TBLS of flour during shaping vs the 1/2 Cup I used in the last few batches.

Got great rise during ferment

Great looking loafs before throwing into the oven, large and fluffy!

These turned out HUGE and great lift

Inner crumb is lacking, it's dense and sour-doughy. I actually kinda like it but I know I can do better

Stay tuned for Batch 6 where I apply all my new found knowledge to conquer sourdough bread!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I've never made bread and I don't have any yeast but I found 1.25lbs of AP flour last week, so I'm working on a sourdough starter.

Here's a pic of it on day 6. Seems to be about a day ahead of the Serious Eats sourdough starter, really active.

Bread in three days I think?

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I will make a bread. I might even put bananas in it.

tkensiski
Aug 26, 2016
So I made something else! Pancakes!

Based off the king arther sourdough pancake recipe. I add some vanilla extract to the recipe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
My standard white dough, plus a coupe of eggs. It came out looser than I expected, so I just did a sloppy sourdough pepper loaf (roasted peppers and mushrooms, hot pepper relish, mozza).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have never made a bread before with the exception of cakes, pizzas and frybread. Here's babby's first bread.

It was a simple 4 ingredient bread so it's a little pretty bland but I'm happy with my first try. .

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I have never made a bread before with the exception of cakes, pizzas and frybread. Here's babby's first bread.

It was a simple 4 ingredient bread so it's a little pretty bland but I'm happy with my first try. .

Just add a bit more salt. Get a starter going if you want. Bread with only four ingredients can taste really complex! That looks great, though.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Croatoan posted:

It's a beaut!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Thanks guys! :unsmith: I'm guessing I should score deeper to keep it from going all wonky.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I made sticky buns which are a british sweet bread mostly eaten by children as afters at school dinners. You can slice down the middle and fill with cream and jam but these were for my lad who won’t eat either. You use warm milk instead of water and add an extra tbs of castor sugar to make a slightly wetter dough than normal white bread.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I made sticky buns which are a british sweet bread mostly eaten by children as afters at school dinners. You can slice down the middle and fill with cream and jam but these were for my lad who won’t eat either. You use warm milk instead of water and add an extra tbs of castor sugar to make a slightly wetter dough than normal white bread.

I would eat those. Probably all of those.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was told they were “too hard” so for this batch I added an egg and that eggs weight in flour and they are “much better”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Who is it that sets cook or die because I have a suggestion/request.

My Nan is still alive at 93 and she gave away all of her stuff to me when she went into a home, including tea towels going right back to the 1950s. I just found one of them with these really cool old welsh baking recipes all over it and thought it would be nice if we could cook or die it so I could send her the pictures and cheer her up.

I can iron it obv.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's pretty much whoever. It's an easy going thing. You should talk about your idea in the chat thread and you'll get some collaboration and stuff.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Who is it that sets cook or die because I have a suggestion/request.

My Nan is still alive at 93 and she gave away all of her stuff to me when she went into a home, including tea towels going right back to the 1950s. I just found one of them with these really cool old welsh baking recipes all over it and thought it would be nice if we could cook or die it so I could send her the pictures and cheer her up.

I can iron it obv.

That's a very sweet idea and I for one would not need a lot of arm-twisting to make welsh rarebit.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

This isn't my entry because it wasn't baked and I didn't take pictures of the process but here's a little savory pancake I made with sourdough discard last night:

I wanted a little of that classic scallion pancake chewiness in the middle and I think I got it pretty much where I wanted the first time. It looks weirdly wet in this photo but in person the surface was nice and crisp, the insides just a little doughy and nice. I tried again this morning and I erred too far in that direction and it wound up totally inedible, which kind of upset me because it was the last of our garlic greens.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is my third time making this recipe, but this is a fantastic basic loaf. It's also pretty easy so if anyone's looking for a first recipe to try, look no further. It worked for me, at least.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/french-style-country-bread-recipe

Despite being my third time, this round was unique for a couple of reasons. First, I was finally able to track down a spray bottle so the crust came out that little bit crispier. Second, it over-proofed by a couple of hours. I had gone out to run a quick errand which should have only taken an hour, but luck wasn't with me. I knew I was tempting fate by leaving bread proofing at home, but I was trying to be efficient. :downs: I knocked out the air before the final shaping and short proof, but from the small slice I had I think the crumb came out tighter. Oh well, it'll still be good bread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have the easiest UK soft white bread mixer recipe of all time if anyone wants it. I’ve been making it for 18 years now and it’s just an dull every day bread the kids will eat no worries.

Kenwood with the dough hook and splash guard

500g bread flour
300ml lukewarm water
1TBSP castor sugar
1 tsp salt.
25g butter or 25ml olive oil
11mg/one packet of dried yeast

Get the kenwood to do the work until you get a smooth dough, take the hook off and leave it alone and with the guard on for 90mins. (It holds the heat in really well so you don’t have to fart around with tea towels and whatnot)

Either put it in a bread tin or on in a round on a baking sheet, getting it out of the mixer bowl will knock it back enough. Leave it for an hour and then do your slashes. 30 mins in a oven preheated to 180 fan 200 normal.

Not really much I can say other than “yup, that’s bread”. You can substitute some of the water out for milk if you are feeling fancy.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

First time I ever made bread and I made a sourdough. I think other people get theirs to rise more but I think it was due to my poor kneading technique. Almost gave up before baking this and I'm glad I didn't because it tastes pretty good.

Dough in the bowl before proofing:

In the oven:

Out of the oven:

Crumb:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Chemmy posted:

First time I ever made bread and I made a sourdough. I think other people get theirs to rise more but I think it was due to my poor kneading technique. Almost gave up before baking this and I'm glad I didn't because it tastes pretty good.

In the oven:

Out of the oven:

Crumb:

For a minute, I thought you had some kind of crazy see-through Plexiglass cube oven with giant shelves inside.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

For a minute, I thought you had some kind of crazy see-through Plexiglass cube oven with giant shelves inside.

Until you said it wasn’t I thought it was a fancy glass cube pizza oven in a restaurant kitchen.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Chemmy posted:

In the oven:

Out of the oven:

Crumb:

I'm also very much a sourdough beginner, but my understanding is that once the dough is together, you don't want to knead so much as just fold the dough onto itself, rotate, fold a few times in between rises. Trying that may give you a taller, airier loaf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:whatup:

I made focaccia, which I did not take a good photo of by itself.

and I made sourdough-doughnuts. Are these bread? you bet your rear end they are! It's in the name!

This week I will work on some actual sourdough, which I have dabbled in but not had the level of success I would like.