Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If we ever get out of quarantine, some of us may be looking for ... interesting ways to make money. I'm blaming this thread entirely on Suspect Bucket, because they texted me an absolute horror of an idea, and I kept adding to it. It turned into a horror show, but I lowkey feel like some of those combinations sounded kind of good.

Screen Shot of the conversation:

https://imgur.com/a/pO9e52m

Inchitaco = Indian Chinese Tacos

It devolved from there. Please, share your horrible hipster douchey food fusion ideas. I'm half tempted to make this taco thing that Suspect Bucket proposed, because it could end up being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Fish cleaning station with a deep fryer, set up off of a public saltwater dock and offer U CATCH WE COOK. People drop off whole fish and pay $ per pound for deep fried fish, extra for tacos. Good weekend gig.

Cupcake sized funnel cakes. A dollar a shot, 5 for 4 dollars. Has any sane sober person ever eaten a whole funnel cake?

My Fiance gets kicked out of the country due to lovely current immigration restrictions, we get a place on the touristy backwaters of Kerala, I sell lovely toddy (local palm wine/beer) cocktails and hot dogs / beef burgers to white tourists. They trust me and pay top dollar because I'm white and not dead from eating this food, and because I put prices in USD and the tourists still arn't sure how the conversion rates work.

CABBAGE MANCHURIAN IS AMAZING AND NOT A HORROR SHOW. In this post feedlot meat world we're facing, y'all gon eat a lot more vegetals.

Tell me you wouldn't pay 8 bucks for 3 of those topped with mayo and a side of rice.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 26, 2020

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Soup Stand. You choose your broth, your proteins, your veggies, and your toppings. It'd be a franchise, so it's like those horrible FroYo places, but for soup.

Dosa crepe stand. Where you get French crepe recipes (strawberry, nutella, cream, spinach, whatever), but the crepes are made of dosa batter instead. Hit the probiotic people AND the gluten free people all at the same time, charge $12 a crepe, and the ingredients cost a fraction of what real crepe batter costs.

Naan pizza. Choose your naan (plain, garlic, scallion/garlic, spice, hot and spicy), your sauce (korma sauce, tomato sauce, some kind of white sauce), and your toppings, and then your cheese of choice.

Korean BBQ samosas. So it's a samosa, but it gets stuffed with korean bbq stuff. And served with that same tamarind date sauce, the mint and cilantro sauce, and a side of kimchi because reasons.

Mongolian Mexican fusion. It's mongolian grill, but with Mexican spices and ingredients.

Italian stir-fry house. So instead of noodles, you'd use pasta of various shapes. And you'd use Italian ingredients with Chinese technique, and serve it with pasta.

Asian Italian. IDK, figure out a bunch of "pan asian" recipes, and make them using Italian techniques.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

dino. posted:

Naan pizza. Choose your naan (plain, garlic, scallion/garlic, spice, hot and spicy), your sauce (korma sauce, tomato sauce, some kind of white sauce), and your toppings, and then your cheese of choice.

gently caress I also had this idea, except your only cheese choices are Deep Fried Paneer and Go gently caress Yourself (smoked gouda melt).

quote:

Korean BBQ samosas. So it's a samosa, but it gets stuffed with korean bbq stuff. And served with that same tamarind date sauce, the mint and cilantro sauce, and a side of kimchi because reasons.

David Chang has definitely tried this and failed. BUT NOT IN NEW JERSEY

edit edit: Lobster Rolls, but vegan and made from celery, celery salt, celeriac, celiac bread, and SEITAN

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 26, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deep-fried Crab Rangoon cart, but with the most nonsensical collection of fillings stuffed in a wonton wrapper and dunked in oil:

Chicken Tikka
Apple Pie
Beef Stroganoff
Shepherds' pie
Smoked salmon and cream cheese
Cheese Curds
Diced hot dogs and baked beans
Gyro meat and tzatziki
Refried beans
BBQ brisket

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 26, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Brextensively Spiced: Healing the Divide

It's what would happen if Britain actually used the spices of the countries it colonized, and it would charge double VAT to Tories

I'm talking jerk fried fish and cassava chips, shepherds pie fried in a samosa, spotted dick with amarula syrup

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
"Baked potato dogs" It's a steakhouse meal on the go! Slap a thin sliced marinated steak cooked either on a charbroil or a flat top into a split baked potato, drown it in toppings. Have a good aioli and a good crema. Homemade Ranch Dressing. Maybe have one of the toppings/side options be Mac 'n Cheese because THE MIDWEST. Probably cole slaw too, maybe german potato salad for the double potato option, because THE MIDWEST. Honestly they'd be happy drowning any and all of it in lovely cheese and some ranch in lieu of any other seasoning and that's be fine, you'd sell a depressing amount of it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Liquid Communism posted:

Deep-fried Crab Rangoon cart, but with the most nonsensical collection of fillings stuffed in a wonton wrapper and dunked in oil:

Chicken Tikka
Apple Pie
Beef Stroganoff
Shepherds' pie
Smoked salmon and cream cheese
Cheese Curds
Diced hot dogs and baked beans
Gyro meat and tzatziki
Refried beans
BBQ brisket

I would actually eat at this place

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

...I'm not sure whether to be flattered or just wtf stunned that I got name-checked in that text. But Suspect Bucket has summoned me, and I answer the call.

Real talk: I live in a pretty agrarian area in Virginia; like it's a fair-sized city (with its share of food trucks from bbq to gourmet grilled cheese to cupcakes) but you go 15 miles outside the city and it's farms. Right now it's the time the farmer's markets should be opening, but thanks to fact that our governor used to be a doctor and is not a complete idiot, ain't nothing opening until at least June (and probably later). What do?

Make a fried rice/lo mein truck, because not a single Chinese take-out place is open or will open soon due to racist fucks who think that just looking at an Asian person will give you the 'roni. Hook up with local farmers who have nowhere to sell their stuff. Have a constantly rotating menu of fried rice/noodle options with whatever veggies are in season/surplus. Have my cheerful round-and-blue-eyed self serving it up, not one of those scary Asian/brown people.

Same idea could be applied to a salad/soup truck, really. All the grocery stores/supermarkets are open, but their salad bars are shut down. Get stuff from local farmers struggling to find an outlet. Have a chalkboard on what's available, build your own salad with whatever's in stock that week. Appeals to both city hipsters who want farm-to-table/organic/locavore, and the rural hippie folk who come into town who miss going to the farmer's market every Saturday. Bonus if you can make Brunswick stew for the good ol' boys comin' into town for supplies. You park that truck outside a Lowe's or Home Depot or Wal-mart with a vat of Brunswick stew, and you'd clean up pretty good.

...am I doing this right? I can certainly think of some more insane fusion concepts if it wasn't 3:15 am, but if I had the capital to get a truck, that would be my cocktail napkin plan.

edit: just remembered a goon asking how to add some zest to their grilled cheese sandwiches over in General Questions. In the spirit of the thread (I think), the suggestion of putting kimchi on grilled cheese fits. Personally, that sounds icky, but I could see douchey hipsters going for kimchi grilled cheese, especially since one of our most popular trucks is the fancy grilled cheese one.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 26, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Make It Thai Hot: it’s just a generic food truck but to your impress your friends and make you feel like a real man you tell me 1-10 and that’s how many grams of raw bird chili seeds I dump on your meal.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

al-azad posted:

Make It Thai Hot: it’s just a generic food truck but to your impress your friends and make you feel like a real man you tell me 1-10 and that’s how many grams of raw bird chili seeds I dump on your meal.

:hmmyes: I continue my small business of making hot sauce (which I can no longer sell at the farmers' market), and just sell, like, french fries or something simple. The allure is which sauces you get to dip them in and brag about with machismo. $2 extra for my sweet & hot, $4 extra for Nashville, $6 extra for the one made with Carolina Reapers I grew myself. Use my silk-screening skills to make stupid t-shirts for people who want to brag about it for another $15.

I like the cut of your jib, friend.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07212004

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All the food is cooked by electrically power, and when you order, you have to jump on the attached exercise bike and provide the electricity to cook your own food

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Scientastic posted:

All the food is cooked by electrically power, and when you order, you have to jump on the attached exercise bike and provide the electricity to cook your own food

https://rockthebike.com/fender-blender-bike-blenders/

Kinda sorta in practice already with smoothies? I've actually seen one (not by this company, it was home-grown) in my city. But you don't have to hop on the bike yourself, you pay a person to do it. So, $5 if you DIY, $10 if you make Enrique do it for you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:hmmyes: I continue my small business of making hot sauce (which I can no longer sell at the farmers' market), and just sell, like, french fries or something simple. The allure is which sauces you get to dip them in and brag about with machismo. $2 extra for my sweet & hot, $4 extra for Nashville, $6 extra for the one made with Carolina Reapers I grew myself. Use my silk-screening skills to make stupid t-shirts for people who want to brag about it for another $15.

I like the cut of your jib, friend.

You just made a million dollars from people who film themselves eating cactuses.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

al-azad posted:

I’ll do you one better. Make that Carolina reaper dick waving contest into a placebo, and see how long it takes people to notice.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bowl of Curry. The truck only has one big bowl where you randomly dump in any ingredient/recipe that has been called curry by a white person.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cakesadilla - It's sweet quesadillas

Crepe with cream cheese and balsamic roasted strawberries
Flat baklava with cheesecake filling
Pancake with mascarpone and raspberry coulis

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I'm just gonna rip off the entire 2020 chickencheese thread for the menu. We had, what, Greek, vegetarian, vegan, Italian, "traditional" Philly, Asian, etc? Even my ugly rear end dumpster fire made entirely from food bank scraps. Just a whole truck of chickencheese fusion. 10% off if you mention stairs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

You can park in my house, thanks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

So basically galaktoboureko?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Safe, Fun Taco

I'd eat all of these ideas. I was playing with an idea stolen from japanese grocery carts/every fruit and veg stall ever. Get an efficient little truck, and set up one day weekly farmers markets in food deserts, in church parking lots and community areas. Sell fresh fruit and veg that you can't get from Dollar General. Steal the idea from Publix where they demo a recipe, give out samples, and sell all the ingredients bundled together. Take EBT

Democratic Pirate posted:

Bowl of Curry. The truck only has one big bowl where you randomly dump in any ingredient/recipe that has been called curry by a white person.

Stone Soup for the Hipster Generation.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'd eat all of these ideas. I was playing with an idea stolen from japanese grocery carts/every fruit and veg stall ever. Get an efficient little truck, and set up one day weekly farmers markets in food deserts, in church parking lots and community areas. Sell fresh fruit and veg that you can't get from Dollar General. Steal the idea from Publix where they demo a recipe, give out samples, and sell all the ingredients bundled together. Take EBT

Our farmer's markets and co-ops teamed up with an organization that does that EBT thing, even more so. If you're using your SNAP/EBT card to buy fresh produce, you get essentially buy-one-get-one-free. It's loving awesome and one of the many reasons I'm gutted that the markets are closed, especially the one in our food desert. It operated on Tuesday afternoon-evenings right by a school and right on the bus line, so people could get off work, pick up their kids, buy some fresh healthy produce and then hop the bus home.

Everybody should check this out.

https://leapforlocalfood.org/healthy-food-programs/snap-program/

So yeah, park that truck and get to work!

BUT, that's not the point of this thread. We're trying to appeal to douchey hipsters. Well, with alcohol laws being massively relaxed here thanks to the virus (you can get beer or wine delivered or to go now), I've got an idea. Get an old ice cream truck, ride around my neighborhood playing an awful MIDI version of "Gin and Juice". Sell $8 wine Slurpees, $5 PBR granitas ($10 if you want an IPA/sour/lambic/whatever the trend is these days) for the hipsters, etc.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Who's that creeping up the block in an ice cream van?

Goddamn, it's the daiquiri man

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

BUT, that's not the point of this thread. We're trying to appeal to douchey hipsters. Well, with alcohol laws being massively relaxed here thanks to the virus (you can get beer or wine delivered or to go now), I've got an idea. Get an old ice cream truck, ride around my neighborhood playing an awful MIDI version of "Gin and Juice". Sell $8 wine Slurpees, $5 PBR granitas ($10 if you want an IPA/sour/lambic/whatever the trend is these days) for the hipsters, etc.

There's a lady here in Detroit who will pull up to your house with a styrofoam cup of your choice of drink, and began doing this even before the Coronavirus pandemic. I feel like this sort of shady experience is also an important component of marketing to hipsters.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bibimbap burrito. A bunch of veggies, a bit of rice, a fried egg, copious amounts of gochujang sauce (either put inside or served in a container on the side), wrapped up in a tortilla. Plus kimchi of course.

Edit: and a churro on the side? That feels right.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 27, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Well, with alcohol laws being massively relaxed here thanks to the virus (you can get beer or wine delivered or to go now), I've got an idea. Get an old ice cream truck, ride around my neighborhood playing an awful MIDI version of "Gin and Juice". Sell $8 wine Slurpees, $5 PBR granitas ($10 if you want an IPA/sour/lambic/whatever the trend is these days) for the hipsters, etc.

Another idea that I've been daydreaming about is to get a large army surplus water hauler, paint it in pink cammo, call it "Tanks For The Mammories" and show up at events to dispense margaritas and daquris for under represented breast cancer charities.

Or get a real tank, but those are so expensive. I can't do it with an APC or deuce and a half, some rear end in a top hat would call me out on it.

Yes, it is a Wonderella reference.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 27, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Eeyo posted:

Bibimbap burrito. A bunch of veggies, a bit of rice, a fried egg, copious amounts of gochujang sauce (either put inside or served in a container on the side), wrapped up in a tortilla. Plus kimchi of course.

Edit: and a churro on the side? That feels right.

make the churro out of 떡

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BIRYANI BURRITOS

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PANEER PANINIS

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chapati Cacciatore

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Samosa Spaghetti!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
MOONG DAL MANWITCH

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Refrigerated food that is typically served hot.

We liked it before it was cool.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Considering what's available while the world ransacks its supermarkets, I'm again stealing ideas from the forums: a 70's themed truck, featuring abominations straight from the AFP thread.

Aspic Bites, done all cutesey in muffin tins.

Along that line, Bloody Mary Jell-O shots (if you can even find celery-flavored Jell-O anymore? gently caress it, we'll make our own ~artisanal~ Jell-O)

Casserole Roulette: we're not even gonna tell you what's in it, you gotta buy one for $14 and try it for yourself. Everything is sourced locally from the Dollar General.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
My food truck idea has always been the Bagel Witch: an occult themed sandwich truck selling all manner of tasty things in sandwich form with the trademark being all the bread is bagels. No cutesy dish names either because gently caress that poo poo.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 28, 2020

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'd do a truck featuring mitraillette sandwiches made on a nice baguette with a bunch of fried fillings like cauliflower and potato pakoras served with a range of chutneys and curries. It could feature a Latin option of sweet or savory tostones with chimichurri, some challenge level hot sauces, black beans, and sweet stuff like dulce de leche and some kind of caramel flan sauce. I'll throw in typical kebab fillings and falafel as well. If the cart isn't vegetarian I'd go with duck fat fries and poutine stuff with a nice duck gravy.

Good bread and fried stuff with sauce.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was 100% sure this would be the one where Lyle dildos coffees but am submitting that one, actually

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Gobi Manchurian, but call it Boneless Wingzz. Serve over french fries with buffalo sauce, ranch, and deep fried paneer, now it's a poutine. COMBO BREAKER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Considering what's available while the world ransacks its supermarkets, I'm again stealing ideas from the forums: a 70's themed truck, featuring abominations straight from the AFP thread.

Aspic Bites, done all cutesey in muffin tins.

Along that line, Bloody Mary Jell-O shots (if you can even find celery-flavored Jell-O anymore? gently caress it, we'll make our own ~artisanal~ Jell-O)

Casserole Roulette: we're not even gonna tell you what's in it, you gotta buy one for $14 and try it for yourself. Everything is sourced locally from the Dollar General.

I misread this as “cassoulet roulette” and got vaguely excited for a moment. And then saw it was casserole. :(

That said. Cassoulet Roulette sounds like a solid concept to me. You have the main option which is a classic cassoulet. It’s made vegan, but there’s roasted meats on the side to make it more traditional if you want. But then there’s the Cassoulet of the Day (which is the Roulette past) where chef finds whatever bits and bobs they can at the store, and knocks up a ~fusion~ cassoulet. Which, to be honest, is basically daal but less expensive spices and more random ingredients. But see, now it’s fancy.