Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cargohills posted:

I really don't get the seemingly unanimous negative reactions to this. The story leaks seem absolutely fine.

everything i'm hearing sounds very meanspirited and almost openly detestful towards fans of the first game, no poo poo people are gonna feel negative about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Oh and I guess Abby is trans. Hella cool, Neil. Wanna know a common ultra right-wing conservative talking point about transgender folk? That they're mentally ill. Can't say they can't be villains but, uh, might want to not make the only transgender woman in the game the villain who is has murder lust for the last game's protagonists. Just saying. The optics are really poo poo here.

big lmao if true

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

You should play as an elk getting revenge on Ellie instead

finally a tokyo jungle sequel

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I bet the characters aren't dressed as fetish maids in TLOU2 for one

drat, this game just sounds worse and worse

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i thought everyone hated westworld now

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pylons posted:

The difference there I'd say is that there was a very clear reason that The Boss had to die and why Snake had to do it, and from the sounds of the leaks Abby kills Ellie out of revenge and the message of the game is "cycles of violence are bad"

it's also different in that mgs3 is one standalone story whereas this is a completely unnecessary sequel that just seems to exist to put two fan favorites through even more misery

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ruflux posted:

A story summary that is currently accepted as being the most accurate, pieced together from multiple different sources and accounting all of the footage etc. that's been leaked:

Wow this sounds like a loving mess

well at least they cleared the very very low bar of not killing off yet another fictional lesbian for cheap drama but still lmao @ 'you know, those bad guys you killed in the last game had families too, you ever think about that?'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ellie is the bad guy of tlou3 because her dad killed another dad who wanted to klil her and because the other dad's kid killed ellie's dad but maybe starts feeling bad about that at some future point

like, wrap your mind around how dumb that is for a sec

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I'm choosing to be skeptical about anything that isn't on video for me to see with my own two eyes. I watched the videos and it looks like The Last Of Us 2 alright for better or worse. Reading some random synopsis from a guy who heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy is a real lame way to judge the quality of a game's story.

condolences in advance when you find out it's all real

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

a more compelling argument that man is the real monster than any zombie story could ever pull off

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

am0kgonzo posted:

everything he said is correct

also mad max and tlou are obviously quite different settings

yeah, one is about fantasy zombies and one has no fantasy zombies

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

getting to play as a jacked buff lady is about the only positive I've heard about this game so far

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I have doubts because how would it even come up in the story as outlined

there is that flashback bit where it sounds like abby is hearing joel killing some random fireflies, if they wanted her to be trans they could've had her in that scene before she started presenting as female

that being said yeah it sounds like it was just some dumbass seeing a buff lady and coming to a stupid conclusion

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah the world definitely needs more sociopathic 'humans are poo poo and we all deserve to die' postapoc stories by aging white gen xers

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dewgy posted:

I mean, if your argument is it just shouldn’t exist whatsoever, maybe your best option at this point is to play other games?

i do play other games, don't worry

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

an optimistic sequel to tlou would genuinely be more daring and subversive and a challenge to write than the game we're getting

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

maybe, idk. i personally dont want a sequel to tlou to suddenly be optimistic. but then i also dont feel like theres a dearth of pessimistic games in particular and i dont know if thats just because im unwittingly avoiding them or what, so i dont have such an issue with this one being pessimistic. maybe its just a AAA thing or something cos i mostly just play indies at this point. i wish i hadnt spoiled now but the one strong rumor that wouldve destroyed it for me wouldve been killing off the gay couple which apparently has been avoided.

i mean, being pessimistic is a far more secondary concern with this sequel than it just being badly written. i'm mostly just incredulous at the idea that modern western society isn't already drowning in pessimistic media

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

i mean its probably not g oing to be some masterpiece of writing but its hard to say where itll land without the full context of the game. and i guess it is? i feel like the main flood in western media has been like, marvel movies though, so maybe this is just down to me and what ive actually watched or engaged with.

and i dont think either optimistic or pessimistic is more or less serious or adult than the other and i like both for different reasons and in different moods. pls look at my av and tell me i think optimistic and kind media is bad lol

marvel movies are pessimistic in a different kind of way, but i was thinking more about the big tv shows of the past decade. walking dead, breaking bad, got, even when they're good shows it's just a big loving carousel of human misery leading to more human misery

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

this conversation reminded me to watch eizouken, so it was a positive one overall

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Are there even any loving zombies in this dumbass game?

all people are zombies if you really think about it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thank god naughty dog is going to punish the bad fans for liking and sympathizing with the character they wrote

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

tlou2 is bad because your brain was stupid

actually my brain was smart for not paying money for tlou and waiting for it to hit ps+

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Killing a character off isn't meant to be punishment. If done poorly (and TLOU2 has a good chance of being done poorly) it can upset people for the wrong reasons but it isn't to punish players. The viewpoint of "you're killing the character I like as a slight to me" isn't generally one backed up unless you get an author who is so sick of being asked to write a character they just want them to go over a waterfall.

i mean usually killing off a character isn't mean to be punishment but like oxx has been saying tlou2 really comes off like naughty dog going 'you idiots, you weren't supposed to react to tlou like that! let's do it again but louder and stupider and more blunt!' so they're gonna make joel worse and ellie worse and try to make people sympathize with the person who brutally kills joel

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

that you still believe you’re supposed to “sympathize” with anyone shows you still don’t get it

yeah that's me giving them the benefit of the doubt because 'everyone sucks on all sides, please buy tlou3 for the ps5' is even dumber than expecting the audience to sympathize with abby

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

if anything they shouldve just killed him right there given how the situation plays out

correct, when you think about it it's really their own fault that they got killed

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mk11 has more of the fun cartoony over the top fatailities than X had, but overall there's still too many that's 'oh wow those sure are some realistic intestines i get to see after that guy got disemboweled'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

the last of us rising, revengeance

i could forgive any plot if tlou2 was half as fun as revengance

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JBP posted:

I've come around on it. I'm sure people will be pissed off but I don't mind it. I laughed like a dickhead through most of MGS2 on release because I could taste the salt.

there wasn't really any major reason to hate raiden upon his introduction beyond 'he's not snake' so i dunno if that's a fair comparison

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

i dont like joel OR ellie

congrats on being the target audience for tlou2

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

We have now surpassed Alien vs. Predator 2 levels of spite.

'you've been warned' is a fun tagline because it comes off as trying to be gritty and real but no, people who are put off by so many modern games putting in killing dogs are now genuinely warned off from playing this edgy garbage

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ham posted:

The gently caress are you talking about, are your kids trained to savage other people?

if they were, would that make killing them in selfdefense morally fine?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Viridiant posted:

Yes but now they're all wearing nametags and some of them carry a journal you can loot from their body to find out their backstory.

lol i know you're just making a goof but this would backfire so hard, gamers love collecting chunks of lore too much to care for even a second that they have to get their virtual hands bloody to collect 'em

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

maybe the game wants you to avoid killing things by making it bad when you do

i'm glad the game and i are in agreement that i shouldn't play it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm not fully against the concept of gameplay being 'bad' on purpose to make some kind of point but it needs to be a more interesting or less-trodden point than 'maybe violence is bad???'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

finally, my terrible posts will end up evidence in a trial

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shifty gimbal posted:

Who on earth would gently caress that thing

you've been here since 2008, you know there have got to be plenty of people on the internet who want to gently caress crash bandicoot

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

It should in fact be cause because spoiler culture is dumb and needs to die a thousand deaths

randomly spoiling people about a thing that isn't even out yet only encourages spoiler culture

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

its funny actually

something can be both funny and a dick move

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Yes, fresh reminder that I will still probe for spoilers that aren't tagged.

can't believe the muto legal team has already infiltrated our IKs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

well exactly. would you tell your gift giver their present is now worthless, spoiled and ruined because you knew about it in advance? no u would not.

in this analogy we're getting tlou2 as a free present, not paying 60 dollars for it

which i guess actually still checks out for me because i'm not gonna own it until it ends up a ps+ free game 4 years from now