Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wow a Naughty Dog game with terrible writing.

Okay sorry, that's my driveby out of the way, I feel like this kind of hackiness is kind of standard for them and it's mostly blowing up because

1. the Funny Games thing. Saying gently caress you to the player is like, something writers that think they're better than they are love to do, and audiences rightly despise it. Doing this and getting something of any quality requires much more skill than ND has and generally needs to have a interesting and compelling purpose to it on top of that skill. This doesn't. And like yeah I didn't like the writing in the Uncharted games and TLOU1 either but they at least were standard enough that the risks were low. If you gently caress up the 'hurt the audience' gambit no one likes the result. Hell even if you do a good job, most people still hate it, it's kind of poison.

2. people are real loving sick of killing off lesbians. Like even among people that don't worry about the political/social justice stuff, it's kinda cliche unless you're actively a bigot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

fadam posted:

I don’t think people are mad because they think it’s not realistic, they’re mad because it’s super low hanging fruit.

IMO, writing something to get a genuine, memorable reaction from a player is hard, and from all the leaks it looks like ND is going for it in the most gratuitous, lowest effort way imaginable.

There's definitely people losing their mind about "SJWs ruining the game" so no that's def part of it. Just not in this thread, and given how much dogshit there is in the leaks, I doubt they're the majority of people talking poo poo even if they are loud as usual.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

am0kgonzo posted:

lol

the game is going to get 90+ ratings and sell really well

Yeah, I'm laughing at how bad it is, but it absolutely is going to be a critical and commercial success. People may turn on it after buying it, but it's gonna sell gangbusters. The only real question is how many years til the general press flips on it and pretends they always scorned it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Media doesn't have to be fun to be worth engaging with, but there better be something else on offer a hell of a lot more compelling than Naughty Dog's previous writing. The leaks do not show this. They show juvenile shock and edginess.

Games are also often orders of magnitude longer than other media. A profound or at least interesting statement about something serious or an enthralling tragedy is hard enough to stretch across a 90 minute movie or a book you can read in a night or two. Vastly fewer tv series pull it off and most successful tv series that try tend to be short, introduce enough levity or enjoyable stuff to alleviate things or gently caress it up. A thirty to hundred hour game is a much much bigger ask. Like most games I can think of that are both worthwhile and not traditionally fun are short indie things that can be smashed out easily in shorter timeframes for a reason.

But this argument is kind of dumb cause TLOU puts enough effort into trying to make combat fun even with a sprinkling of gratuitous puppy snuff that they're obviously trying to have their cake and eat it too rather than commit to even the degree Death Stranding did.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

RottenK posted:

This tweet is wrong - as far as I'm aware The Last of Us 2 has not raped anyone.

I mean Druckmann is a narcissist who relentlessly abuses people he has power over. Not sexually afaik but he's definitely cut from the same cloth.