Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
:firstpost: the new character kills Joel and Ellie in what will be described as a lesbian rage

I think his is actually not real I don't loving know hahaha

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

am0kgonzo posted:

so they are doing the kill bill 3 thing, meh

also joel did nothing wrong

100% agree let's swap numbers

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There are videos of "Abby vs Ellie" but it's just Abby and Ellie getting pummeled by some Schwarzenegger level woman? So they think the other character is Abby? Idk what I'm missing in the video. I've seen the plot summary with the ending.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lurker2006 posted:

Ellie has muscles, Abby is blatantly on gear. Without context it just strikes me as a pretty incongruous character design.

Is Abby big I hadn't noticed. I mean she isn't big compared to another leak woman.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah they could have just made the game about a firefly or some poo poo for a new perspective and leave the old characters out of it. Idk even have Joel get dead when you fight him in a boss battle or whatever since he's a pretty wild rear end in a top hat all up and then call it a day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Booty Pageant posted:

for such a hack fraud game that riffs off every other season of walking dead they coulda gone fear the walking dead route

personally i can't wait for sony to go oh gently caress oh poo poo and pull in kojima to recut this like it's blade runner

It's certainly be a day one for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's the same game but he's added lens flare to everything and Joel can't stop farting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fridge corn posted:

I had been planning to pick this game up maybe a year out after release at a good discount but after reading these leaks I probably won't even bother.

Thanks leaker!

I'll pay 50% of the purchase price if you get it day one and provide a brief 1000 word fridge corn take on each chapter in the PS4 thread.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

I feel that way about that one Tomb Raider game that everyone pretends isn't terrible.

Do you mean the original reboot? It was pretty heavy, but no where near tlou heavy and you got your cathartic kill frenzy on later.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Subtlety is generally overrated imo. Look at Death Stranding. Incredibly blunt with the added benefit of all its gameplay systems reinforcing its themes at every possible opportunity. A character literally says "here, I brought you a metaphor" and it rules.

It was interesting watching Parasite not long after DS. A character in that directly refers to an object as a metaphor. It's also blunt as gently caress and rules.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think I died twice to the environment playing tomb raider because the environment was violent and terrifying.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wait so we play the game as muscle lady right? I hope she gets a moveset like veteran Leon S Kennedy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gologle posted:

Remember when Leon rode off into the sunset with a pubescent girl on a jetski? Resident Evil 4 was literally The Last of Us

Idk if this is a joke but Ashley is an adult.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kavak posted:

Maybe they changed it in development but she's his boss' daughter and his boss is POTUS.

She says she's at University. I'm sure it's that he doesn't want to get owned by the president.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm sure the zombies are in there to get you spending hours on stealth sections you can't resolve after loving up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stux posted:

remember when romero films used zombies as just a backdrop to whatever else he wanted to talk about at the time and one involves a bunch of scientists and high level military people all of supposed above average intelligence in a secure situation eventually killing themselves with zombies out of stupidity.

Yeah. This is the same reason I really like science fiction stories with strong characters and human stories. It's fun to see developed characters in situations that are beyond reckoning.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope that reasoning behind the leak is true. It would also shut up the folks that were like "Think of Naughty Dog, this only hurts everyone, direct action is too extreme"

It seems likely given their treatment of others. Is it disrespectful to the other developers and workers that care about it? Probably. Is it an awful terrible action? Nah.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

i must compose posted:

I don't get why people are hating on last of us I thought it was fun the story was alright. I don't understand what Joel did that makes him a bad guy except he like says he did some bad stuff? He is only ever really shown killing people in self defense except the end.

He admits that before the story he was a highwayman.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stux posted:

honestly the idea of controlling a character you probably outright hate upon meeting is the interesting part to me

I've come around on it. I'm sure people will be pissed off but I don't mind it. I laughed like a dickhead through most of MGS2 on release because I could taste the salt.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

there wasn't really any major reason to hate raiden upon his introduction beyond 'he's not snake' so i dunno if that's a fair comparison

Seems pretty fair since they're turning the dark game around on the dark game protagonists.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

From what I remember at the time there was a bunch of grousing about having to play such an "unmanly" character who had emotions and relationship problems, the bait-and-switch probably exacerbated those feelings

Yeah this too lol. Not macho enough, too macho, make up your minds!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hemale in pain posted:

Yikes, this game sounds like poo poo.

were we really supposed to think that saving ellie was morally dubious? that's not how brains work. next you'll tell me letting chloe die was the correct decision in life is strange.

It was the way Joel dealt with her personally.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I played through TLOU when it released and I still think the ending was a good moral dilemma and that it was a well made game, but I also had to force myself to finish the game which I don't think is praise.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Freelancefogy posted:

So apparently they have a gym in this apocalypse, which is why Abby is so buff. :smuggo:

Drunckmann's fart huffing must be off the charts.

Is this another leak? Also a gym isn't exactly hard to put together or maintain, have you seen where Ronnie Coleman trained?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 30, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

now i don't have much experience with living in a post-apocalyptic zombie world (except for that one time) but i can't help but think the daily rigors of survival in such an environment would obviate the need for a gym

Why? These people live in small groups. Some in large groups. If they're organised and live in some level of safety why wouldn't you train your body?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is dumb because the performances are good enough in the first game that it's obvious at the end of the game that Ellie knows Joel is lying to her about the Fireflies but accepts it anyway. I only played it once but that's still clear enough in my memory.

Yeah that's like the only reason the game's ending had any punch lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Abby breaks a giraffe's neck with a suplex

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What evil did Ellie do? Serious question.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I enjoyed cleaning out the hospital. I was like yeah eat poo poo cultists give me back my daughter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

blackguy32 posted:

This happens I found with a lot of media. People find reasons to excuse a lot of awful stuff as long as it is the protagonist doing it.

Because you empathise with them. The setting for this game and other stuff isn't exactly day to day living so when you've got some background and understanding of them you get it. I like it when media gets you understanding protagonist and antagonist. I don't think this will deliver, but if they can get you on side for Ellie and Abby where you don't want either to win it'll be big time good story.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stux posted:

its fine to not want the character you play as to "win"

I mean kill the other. I measure winning and losing by who survives in both real life and fantasy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Since there are not really zombies concerning people in this one is the world recovered to some extent? I don't mean back to sanity since there are mad cults or whatever, but are people far more organised than say the starting town of TLOU1 which was pretty good as far as living in the apocalypse goes. That gym does look pretty fancy but I thought all the previews showed Ellie at a nice prom type deal or a dance. It seems like the only truly lovely places are in between settlements, while the settlements themselves are pretty well set up with power and amenities.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kavak posted:

Baby's first visual storytelling. Also, why is she the only super jacked one? If her group all keep in shape why is she the only one built like a linebacker?

The guy facing camera looks pretty built.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lurker2006 posted:

*abuser of real life human beings that work for me

That's what he said.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

screaden posted:

When has this kind of thing ever worked well for someone

Joe Abercrombie fantasy books are a good example of loving with your characters for the cruelty of it, but you also enter that contract with the books very quickly.

E: unless you are referring to updating your tweet biography I have no idea if that's a pr good move

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He's probably mad/sad irl

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm an abuser of cheese strats

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

Joel was kind of a hard as in the original. He may be very mellow in the sequel, if to drive home the fact that people who go on murder sprees can seem like nice people later if you give them enough time.

Ellie was kind of a victim, albeit one who fights back, in the original game. I hope she’s in less sympathetic light here.

Yeah the Ellie is bad too angles don't land for me because she was just a result of the poo poo situation. But that's everyone!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Obviously it was a huge sales hit but I'm still surprised people on video games forum about videogames are excited about spending $60 USD for a game that is 25% occasional QTEs, 'stealth' sections, and simplistic puzzles and 75% watching schlock that would make a CBS procedural look like Shakespeare.

Because big budget experience games like this aren't that frequent and straight up horror games even less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gologle posted:

Is the Last of Us a horror game though just because it has zombies?

Yes. The genre is horror. It's a scary game. Maybe it is also a drama game. Maybe it is also a stealth game.