Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
unbelievable that the game starts with a narrator saying, “in the not too distant future—next Sunday, A.D.—there was a guy named Joel, not too different from you or me”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

I mean she isn't big compared to another leak woman.

this is not the place to post about your fetish

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

doingitwrong posted:

turning a big dial taht says "Torturing Lesbians" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

lol

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Peacoffee posted:

But really it's not that, it's when he said the poo poo about the next game being about "Hate"

I was like "wuh oh"

I’d rather play Hatred than this, lol

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

He admits that before the story he was a highwayman.

ooh, romantic!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
a bunch of people itt saying “Ellie was a terrible person in TLOU and you’re an idiot if you didn’t see that” but I don’t really remember anything she did that was objectionable? It’s probably because I played it once 5 years ago and it mostly bored me so I wasn’t fully paying attention but all I remember about her is: she wanted to be useful but Joel kept trying to keep her from killing anyone, then she almost got eaten by cannibals and killed a dude in self-defense.

I definitely remember Joel robbing stagecoaches while wearing his signature red carnation over the clasp of his dashing capelet but I really don’t remember her doing anything bad.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Oxxidation posted:

everyone in tlou is scum and that includes ellie

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I guess I assumed a lot of the subsequent conversation, since it didn’t challenge that assertion, gave tacit assent to it but in retrospect it just meant everyone else was wise enough not to bite.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
he’s right

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
no one should write multiple paragraphs about a video game, unless I agree with them

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Show, don’t tell: like when Joel tells Ellie “hark! thou hast heard tell of the Crimson Bud, that notorious thief? Aye, ‘twas I! Full wroth with the rage of Hell who did descend upon the lords and ladies which every way did wend up and down the country and so in their fond hearts said: ‘Surely I am safe from mischief.’ Not so; and when they saw my brand they quaked rightly for my contentment could not be denied, nay. And not a purse did scape my glance unburdened nor a comelie waif unbedded. Thus I dwelt among the charnel graves by the highway-side and toasted the good masters for their generosity from sculls digged up from th’environs, and the sweet wine flowed o’er my lips as might drown an Atilla.”

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
my name is Abby... Abby Normal. And I am the last of us.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently Druckmann had people watching snuff videos as research. Don't know if true or not, it came up in conversation at ResetEra but is pretty :psyduck: if true.

https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-part-ii-s-violence-is-designed-to-be-rep-1826781044

quote:

“We’re making a game about the cycle of violence and we’re making a statement about violent actions and the impact they have on the character that’s committing them and on the people close to them,” he said. “And our whole approach is to say, ‘We want to treat this as realistically as possible.’ When you stab someone—if you watch reference videos, which we have, it’s gross and it’s messy and it’s not sanitized like you see in most movies and games. And we wanted to get the player to feel that.”

Neil Druckmann forcing his employees to watch ISIS beheading videos while he meditates in a zen garden

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

Some of ya'll have incredibly elitist views of what qualifies as art and what doesn't.

my posts are art

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The moment when one realizes art is not an ontologically static category but an unending battlefield for different social groups vying for prestige is an eye-opening one

my posts are art

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I’ll never forget when Sephiroth wrestled Aerith to the ground and then hammered a pair of nine inch nails into her elbows

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

that is fun but unfortunately ff7 doesnt have likeable characters and they dont interact in fun or positive ways

I didn’t think your posts could get worse yet here we are

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the Ed Boon “toasty!” soundclip that played after Joel’s death seemed out of place but the more I think about it the more I understand what Neil was trying to say

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
this guy are sick

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Ham posted:

That's probably the dumbest takeaway possible from that scene lol

seriously, stux was lecturing people on misinterpreting the story for how long and yet that’s the take? Lol

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
my interpretation of this story is based entirely on my personal and particular neuroses

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Stux has bad opinions about Final Fantasy but good opinions about Last of Us.

These character nuances are standard fare for most contemporary dramatic literature and cinema but I guess they still confound gamers

lol Stux is arguing against nuance in their reading of Joel

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
he is a bad man because he lied to Ellie full stop he is bad, gamers gamers gamers gamers

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
trying to hold Joel or Ellie on trial and figure out if they "bad" or they "good" is missing the point of the ending, the only actually interesting part of the story

Stux saying Joel bad because he LIED to a CHILD and that he robbed her of autonomy and that shows he doesn't care about her as a person, man, because didn't let her commit an assisted suicide she hadn't even technically consented to is laughably reductionist

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Joel is bad because he is an inveterate rake and he relieved the countess of Whitsford-on-Brilby of her family's prized diamonds and left her tied up in her carriage, only in her shift, with a note stuffed in her mouth that said "catch me if ye can! the chase is on, ye dogs!"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

yes i am making fun of you Stux

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

as unaware as a brick wall lol

speaking of brick walls how about that Abby? hubba hubba

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
-hyperventilating-

g--g--gamers!!!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Zongerian posted:

Abby throws bricks labeled "hypocritical moralizing" and "it's bad on purpose" and "GOTY" over my head while I stare directly at her and say "Wow! Cool muscles!"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the dogs’ names are EN_PERRO01 EN_PERRO02 and EN_PERRO03 and I cried when I caused their hp value to reach 0 because they were depleting PL_ELLIE00’s own hp value

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Infinitum posted:

SIGSEGV tone it down on the righteous indignation on Druckman. We get it.

It's fine to be pissed off with the guy, as all evidence is currently pointing towards him being a massive piece of crap, but we don't need the Gamefaqs level poo poo posts on war crimes.

Thank you.

what the hell is sigsegv

edit: oh it’s a username lol

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 9, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
in new leaked footage Ellie throws a molotov cocktail at a vicious dachshund and quips "now that's what i call a hot dog!"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

imo the reaction to a game going "the killing will be bad because its bad to kill" being "make the killing fun for me to do like call of duty" is more telling, than anything. makes u think.

you have misunderstood why people are mocking this.

the killing will be fun, like call of duty; or, like the last of us 1.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
never once in the last of us did I feel like the gameplay was “intentionally bad,” it felt exactly like Uncharted but slightly better

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
We watched the 20 hottest ISIS videos to make the gnarliest executions to date, make sure you kill enemies in contextual situations to see them all!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
all I know about the game-feel of tlou 1 is that I felt empowered in any given encounter whenever I, as Joel, successfully managed to slit the throats* of 6 dudes in a row without being seen, then got up in the faces of those that were left and blasted them away

*maybe you choke them out as a stealth kill I forget

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The worst I’ve ever felt about killing anything in a video game is when I accidentally shot a cute little repair drone with t-rex arms in Metroid Prime 3

he wasn’t hurting anybody and I melted him

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
how the hell did SA getting a cease and desist manage to make this thread less fun??

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

whoa... looks like the leaks were wrong, and Joel’s fate is taken straight from the ending of Todd Browning‘s Freaks... chilling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

wtf, that dog quote is real?

it’s true. all of it.