Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Problem description: HDR on Win10 is basically unusable for me. Every single video causes the screen to flicker black whenever I wiggle the mouse, fullscreen VLC loses its poo poo whenever I move the mouse or change the volume, basically any time any video is on screen, the monitor flickers black over and over again for as long as it takes to settle down. It was bad enough on my last graphics card but I recently upgraded to a 2070 Super and it's gotten way way worse.

Attempted fixes: Uninstalled and updated all drivers and done windows updates. Tried fiddling with any relevent settings in nVidia control panel and windows display settings to no avail.

Recent changes: As mentioned, updated my graphics card. Before I did that the problem was still present but not as bad, like I could move my mouse and VLC wouldn't have an absolute panic attack or I could watch Hulu without the toolbar making everything flicker just trying to pause. Mostly it'd just flicker in and out of HDR whenever I changed the volume in windows with a hotkey

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: 2070 Super, Ryzen 5 2600X, 16gb ram

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010

quote:

Uninstalled and updated all drivers and done windows updates.
Just to check, did this include the AMD chipset drivers ?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

evilmaniac posted:

Just to check, did this include the AMD chipset drivers ?

It did not! I went to see if I could find and install them but the AMD website only gives me their monitoring tool. I did update the BIOs first thing.

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010
https://www.amd.com/en/support

This should be the page you're looking for. Can't grantee that updating your chipset drivers will help with the flicker, but I have heard people saying it did.
What motherboard are you using ?
Also, if you were to open up your task manager, click the 'performance' tab. Do you notice the GPU usage spiking/increasing when you start playback on VLC or is it just the CPU that spikes ?

evilmaniac fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 15, 2020

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

evilmaniac posted:

https://www.amd.com/en/support

This should be the page you're looking for. Can't grantee that updating your chipset drivers will help with the flicker, but I have heard people saying it did.
What motherboard are you using ?
Also, if you were to open up your task manager, click the 'performance' tab. Do you notice the GPU usage spiking/increasing when you start playback on VLC or is it just the CPU that spikes ?

Sorry for the absurdly late reply to this, the thread vanished from my bookmarks.

I got the chipset update installed, but still having the issue. It's like HDR turns on and off rapidly whenever any UI element shows up. I'm using a B450 AORUS AM4 board, which was also an update along with my GPU.

When I check the performance tab, seems like the GPU is working on the video decoding panel, both when I run VLC or Hulu or w/e.

Seeing this post kinda spurred me so I'll also add that I've tried basically every single solution I can find for this online - forcing Chrome's color settings just makes it dark, and the HDR still flicks on and off when I wiggle the mouse during fullscreen videos, Disabling the container does nothing, updating windows and graphics drivers both just don't do anything. Someone suggested installing display drivers but I have a TCL TV that obv doesn't have any PC display drivers its just the generic one in the hardware manager.

At a complete loss rn. Surely this isn't like, normal, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

update: I used DDU and completely removed every display driver in safe mode, then reinstalled on boot and that (largely) fixed the problem...for a day. This is wild frustrating. A ton of the problems were fixed - I could take screenshots in Chrome again, VLC wasn't wholeass bugging out, Netflix and such were usable, and now its just back to the same thing without any observable difference. I didn't update the new graphics drivers. Gonna maybe try and do that again and see if it sticks this time.