Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CHOOSE POORLY
This poll is closed.
The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner 4 14.29%
The Curse of Capistrano by Johnston McCulley 5 17.86%
Life: An Unauthorized Biography by Richard Fortey 2 7.14%
October by China Mieville 8 28.57%
Journey to the Northern Ocean by Samuel Hearne 2 7.14%
Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Dame Rebecca West 7 25.00%
Total: 19 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Here are the contestants for next month -- you can vote for one or more -- please only vote if you would actually like to read the book and talk about it

1) The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner

quote:

The main plot revolves around suspect cases of deliberate poisoning by the U.S.-based Bamberley Trust corporation of their Nutripon relief food supplies directed to Africa and Central America. The poisoned food had the effect of instigating homicidal madness in those who ate it, and many suspected this was engineered by the corporation with the final aim of weakening the local governments and more easily exploiting the natural resources of the affected countries. No conclusive evidence of deliberate poisoning is found when, suddenly, a severe epidemic of mutated Escherichia coli affects the United States, millions of people are unable to work and produce food, and water filtering systems are unable to fully remove the bacteria from freshwater – and the authorities must cope with the decision to deliver the discredited Nutripon food to their own country as a much-needed food aid.

2) The Curse of Capistrano

quote:

n the early 1800s, California was still under Spanish rule. The peaceful indigenous people were victimized by the corrupt military commanders. One man rose to stand against injustice and the abuse of power. One man stirred the hearts of Californians and gave them the spirit to resist tyranny. That man was the masked avenger known as Zorro!

Zorro was introduced in Johnston McCulley’s novel, “The Curse of Capistrano,” when it was serialized in the pages of ALL-STORY WEEKLY in 1919. The first segment of the five-part serial part serial was dated August 9, one-hundred years ago

3) Life: An Unauthorized Biography by Richard Fortey

quote:

Richard Fortey’s Life: An Unauthorised Biography, the Guardian Science Book Club’s inaugural title, is a big read in every sense: its 400 pages span four billion years of planetary existence and 400 years of systematic scientific investigation. Its very ambition makes it a good candidate for interesting questions. What, exactly, is a science book? And to be a good book, does a science book have to be well-written, in the sense that a literary novel has to be well-written?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/mar/06/fossils-evolution

4) October: The Story of the Russian Revolution by China Mieville

quote:

China Miéville’s contribution in October is to get away from ideological battles and go back to the dazzling reality of events. There is no schadenfreude here about the revolution’s bloody aftermath, nor patronising talk of experiments that failed because they were doomed to fail. Known as a left-wing activist and author of fantasy or what he himself calls weird fiction, Miéville writes with the brio and excitement of an enthusiast who would have wanted the revolution to succeed. But he is primarily interested in the dramatic narrative – the weird facts – of the most turbulent year in Russia’s history: strikes, protests, riots, looting, mass desertions from the army, land occupations by hungry peasants and pitched battles between workers and Cossacks, not just in Petrograd but along the length and breadth of a vast country.

5) Journey to the Northern Ocean by Samuel Hearne

quote:

Widely recognized as a classic of northern-exploration literature, A Journey to the Northern Ocean is Samuel Hearne's story of his three-year trek to seek a trade route across the Barrens in the Northwest Territories. Hearne was a superb reporter, from his anguished description of the massacre of helpless Eskimos by his Indian companions to his meticulous records of wildlife, flora and Indian manners and customs. As esteemed author Ken McGoogan points out in his foreword: "Hearne demonstrated that to thrive in the north, Europeans had to apprentice themselves to the Native peoples who had lived there for centuries-a lesson lost on many who followed."

If you have alternate suggestions post about them below. This month I'm looking for distractions.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I mean, I guess you should read the Brunner because its considered a classic but its really dated and not very good (having just read it last year). And after reading Mievelle's take on the French resistance, I'm outsies on his historical fiction. The travel book seems decent enough.

Vote finish Decameron. But for travel fiction consider Malaria Dreams sometime. I thought it was super funny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Option Added:

6) Black Lamb and Grey Falcon

quote:

Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: A Journey Through Yugoslavia is a travel book written by Dame Rebecca West, published in 1941 in two volumes by Macmillan in the UK and by The Viking Press in the US.

The book is over 1,100 pages in modern editions and gives an account of Balkan history and ethnography during West's six-week trip to Yugoslavia in 1937. West's objective was "to show the past side by side with the present it created".[1] Publication of the book coincided with the Nazi Invasion of Yugoslavia, and West added a foreword highly praising the Yugoslavs for their brave defiance of Germany. The book's epigraph reads: "To my friends in Yugoslavia, who are now all dead or enslaved".[2]

The character of "Constantine" is supposedly based on Stanislav Vinaver. Anica Savić Rebac, under the name of Milica, appears not only as a new friend, but also as the intellectual guide who eventually reveals to Rebecca West the rituals which would lead the author to the title metaphor of her vision of the Balkans.[3]

. . .
It made the Random House Modern Library list of the best 100 non-fiction books of the 20th century.[4]

American writer Larry McMurtry says in an essay that "there are only a few great travel books. Rebecca West's Black Lamb and Grey Falcon is one."

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

I mean, I guess you should read the Brunner because its considered a classic but its really dated and not very good (having just read it last year). And after reading Mievelle's take on the French resistance, I'm outsies on his historical fiction. The travel book seems decent enough.

Unless that was the joke, October is an actual history book, not fiction. What did he say about the Resistance, though?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Safety Biscuits posted:

Unless that was the joke, October is an actual history book, not fiction. What did he say about the Resistance, though?

They fought with surrealism and the final boss was artist Hitler so it was trash

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'll vote for The Curse of Capistrano since I wanted to read that soon anyway. I read Scarlet Pimpernel last year and since Zorro is the other "first masked hero" I've been wanting to check it out.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Voting Black Lamb just so that I could criticise its paternalistic and colonialist views towards the Yugoslav peoples. Oh, and because I have it on my shelf and want to reread it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bilirubin posted:

I mean, I guess you should read the Brunner because its considered a classic but its really dated and not very good (having just read it last year).
Care to elaborate? I was just about to order a copy, confident in the opposites of those things.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Care to elaborate? I was just about to order a copy, confident in the opposites of those things.

One, its set in the 50s-60s sexist world of Mad Men, where women are constantly mixing their men drinks like early black and white Bewitched episodes, which I found grating. This is consistent with a "near future" future, written in the 60s, that we are already well past technologically as well, which deflates the tension building. The subplot of a fanatical environmental movement and messiah figure has been done better elsewhere, and kept bringing Atlas Shrugged to mind, which is always a big turn off. And the cast of hundreds of similarly voiced characters were very difficult to keep sorted, most have personalities as flat as the pages they were written on.

It made an impression at the time as I understand it, so as I said its worth reading for that context of historical development of dystopian fiction, but I would never recommend someone go out of their way to read it. There are much better examples of the type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, it'll be Black Lamb and Grey Falcon, if only so we an save October for October.