Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

their cdn boxes are fbsd, most of the rest of the boxes (all the stuff on aws) are linux iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
netcraft confirms bsd is dead

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

freenas and pfsense are based on freebsd, as is playstation 3 and 4!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Raere posted:

freenas and pfsense are based on freebsd, as is playstation 3 and 4!

freebsd is good but idk why you'd pick it over openbsd for a firewall

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
what does bsd offer over linux?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ploft-shell crab posted:

openbsd is usually the first os to put third-party devs' nuts on the dresser for writing code with unsafe memory management

also pledge and unveil are legit cool snd i hope other oses steal them

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
you get to lord it over the insufferable greasy dude who brags about running ubuntu on his dell ultrabook

"oh, that's cool dude. I run bsd on my vintage g3 powermac :smugbert:"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
plus i gotta say even though i've never run freebsd for a significant amount of time i really like their handbook

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

the bsds (well, mostly openbsd) are often described as more secure* than your typical linux because of the extra security mechanisms and not introducing flashy new features

* nothing is really secure

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

can't get compromised by a usb stick if your os doesn't support usb :smuggo:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
thinking about getting one of these and loading a stable openbsd release on it now that syspatch is a thing. i ran a userland build on one of the older Edgerouters once and hoo boy

olives black fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 4, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

many years ago i was at a conference where someone asked theo why obsd didn’t use a memory safe language instead of their extreme efforts attempting to defend against C based attacks. Theo theod here was no suitable open source language, and at the time he was probably right

Now: no one has written grep in Rust. QED.
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889

also, obsd grep recompiles really fast which supports my conviction that most cpu time used by the median bsd user is build world and is their primary optimization target

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

also, obsd grep recompiles really fast which supports my conviction that most cpu time used by the median bsd user is build world and is their primary optimization target

de raadt says the quiet part loud elsewhere in that htread :
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ploft-shell crab posted:

absolutely nothing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
he’s right. compile times matter for development cycles. I’ve seen project build times spike up massively because a few rust components (low single digit percentage of the entire codebase) were introduced.

also lol at rust cultists trying to pretend it’s a systems language.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

and when all your users are os devs or people cosplaying os devs that’s an important design consideration

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Management posted:

he’s right. compile times matter for development cycles. I’ve seen project build times spike up massively because a few rust components (low single digit percentage of the entire codebase) were introduced.

also lol at rust cultists trying to pretend it’s a systems language.

could you please explain why rust ain't ready for prime time as a systems language? I have a friend who really wants me to put the k&r down and become a rustacean

olives black fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 4, 2020

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

olives black posted:

could you please explain why rust ain't ready for prime time as a systems language? I have a friend who really wants me to put the k&r down and become a rustacean

My beef with rust is that the language spec isn't very stable. The core team changes it often enough that a bunch of packages require you to be on the 'unstable' version of the compiler, which implements an 'unstable' version of the language.

Constant language tinkering also means that nobody wants to write docs or tutorials, because they know it'll be obsolete in a year

all of this is the opposite of what you want for a systems language, which should be stable enough that you won't need to scrub your whole codebase every time somebody decides to change Rust's error-handling again

like, I get it that the Rust devteam is a bunch of language nerds, and dicking around with language features is what sparks joy for them. it's also what holds back the language imo

the situation is like C++ but without all the momentum that C++ picked up back when it wasn't changing every 3 years

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 4, 2020

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Poopernickel posted:

My beef with rust is that the language spec isn't very stable. The core team changes it often enough that a bunch of packages require you to be on the 'unstable' version of the compiler, which implements an 'unstable' version of the language.

Constant language tinkering also means that nobody wants to write docs or tutorials, because they know it'll be obsolete in a year

all of this is the opposite of what you want for a systems language, which should be stable enough that you won't need to scrub your whole codebase every time somebody decides to change Rust's error-handling again

like, I get it that the Rust devteam is a bunch of language nerds, and dicking around with language features is what sparks joy for them. it's also what holds back the language imo

the situation is like C++ but without all the momentum that C++ picked up back when it wasn't changing every 3 years

so p much all the stuff I've been telling this friend for years lol

thank you :)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

olives black posted:

what that dude said. also the language is unsuitable for low level memory manipulation, which is often required for systems programs. if you can’t cast a struct to a different struct and then pick values out of it, or traverse a linked list, or deal with alignment issues, or access device registers in a predictable way, then your language isn’t useful for systems work. lol if his answer is going to be that you can do it with unsafe.

also the religious fervor of rust enthusiasts is extremely annoying. it’s to the point where seeing rust on someone’s resumé is a red flag

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

many years ago i was at a conference where someone asked theo why obsd didn’t use a memory safe language instead of their extreme efforts attempting to defend against C based attacks. Theo theod here was no suitable open source language, and at the time he was probably right

Now: no one has written grep in Rust. QED.
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889

rust people should make their own os instead of trying to take another one over

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hifi posted:

rust people should make their own os instead of trying to take another one over

they would need a supercomputing cluster to compile it

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

The Management posted:

what that dude said. also the language is unsuitable for low level memory manipulation, which is often required for systems programs. if you can’t cast a struct to a different struct and then pick values out of it, or traverse a linked list, or deal with alignment issues, or access device registers in a predictable way, then your language isn’t useful for systems work. lol if his answer is going to be that you can do it with unsafe.

also the religious fervor of rust enthusiasts is extremely annoying. it’s to the point where seeing rust on someone’s resumé is a red flag

is there really no way to just make a const pointer to volatile type at a given address in rust? i've seen 'embedded rust' thrown around but never actually looked into it, how the gently caress do they access sfrs otherwise?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

whats ripgrep precious

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

whats ripgrep precious

"not grep"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it's not a unix tool because it's pleasant to use

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Progressive JPEG posted:

it's not a unix tool because it's pleasant to use

:drat:

but yeah rg is a lifesaver and i use it like every day to deal with my many repos

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

this is the future obsd users want https://twitter.com/ao_kenji/status/1257267898306801665?s=21

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

theo says the older machines help them find bugs

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

til m88k was a thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

olives black posted:

what would you have used instead

lisp obviously

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

olives black posted:

what's the best guide for reading about OpenBSD kernel stuff? I know that FreeBSD has its own well-regarded book but that obvs doesn't apply here

the source code is the best guide OP

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

olives black posted:

openbsd 6.7 just hit beta :toot:

new stuff:

* ffs2 is now the default
* pinebook pro and raspberri pi 4 can now run this baby
* macppc now uses clang by default so that's cool if you're still using one of those

aw drat I shoulda done the rest of the work to get mvme88k ported all the way forward so it could be brought back with 6.7

maybe for 7.0

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

they wouldn’t be the last working ones if the couple people I know with buried LUNA-88K systems would unbury them and send them my way

then I could help bring back NetBSD for m88k

OpenBSD makes all sorts of claims about security but one of the worst things for it is code duplication, of which they have a lot, because they refuse to use a modular kernel—to the point where most of the drivers are duplicated between similar systems (like mvme68k/mvme88k/aviion/luna88k)

building a newer OpenBSD for mvme88k meant resurrecting deleted files, applying the same changes to them that were made to nearly identical files elsewhere in the codebase, building, and rebooting with the new kernel

it was cool that it just worked but, like, why were those drivers even different, that’s stupid and wrong

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Raere posted:

til m88k was a thing

it was a good RISC CPU and at one point the part of the workstation & server industry that didn’t make its own CPUs promoted it as “the future” to the point of having a binary compatibility standard via an industry consortium with the unfortunate name “88Open”

but there were only two models ever produced, 88100 and 88110, and after that Motorola was all PowerPC and most of the 88K users switched to other platforms (like Data General switching to Intel in later AViiON workstations and servers and NCD & Tektronix switching to MIPS in their X terminals)

the PowerPC 601 was essentially a drop-in replacement—at least electrically/design-wise, if not pin-compatible—for the 88110 so that the companies who had been working on 88K systems could transition to PowerPC easily

Motorola still produced the 88K into the 2000s though, including VME CPU & memory boards, because it wound up used in a couple important niches like military avionics

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

olives black posted:

openbsd 6.7 just hit beta :toot:

new stuff:

* ffs2 is now the default
* pinebook pro and raspberri pi 4 can now run this baby
* macppc now uses clang by default so that's cool if you're still using one of those

for gently caress's sake 2

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

eschaton posted:

they wouldn’t be the last working ones if the couple people I know with buried LUNA-88K systems would unbury them and send them my way

then I could help bring back NetBSD for m88k

OpenBSD makes all sorts of claims about security but one of the worst things for it is code duplication, of which they have a lot, because they refuse to use a modular kernel—to the point where most of the drivers are duplicated between similar systems (like mvme68k/mvme88k/aviion/luna88k)

building a newer OpenBSD for mvme88k meant resurrecting deleted files, applying the same changes to them that were made to nearly identical files elsewhere in the codebase, building, and rebooting with the new kernel

it was cool that it just worked but, like, why were those drivers even different, that’s stupid and wrong

my guess is that it's because there's still differences between those systems and they want to be able to easily make and test changes to one without messing up the others? :confused:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

carry on then posted:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
what is the smallest prime number?

carry on then posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
p good review of OpenBSD's mitigations

https://youtu.be/3E9ga-CylWQ

his goal was obviously to take the piss but he wound up having mostly nice things to say throughout