Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

imo a systems language is one where you can take a network packet or some other bit of raw data that comes in a string, define a struct that says what the bits and bytes represent (eg first 4 bytes are a number, next 2 bytes are some enum code, then a bitfield of flags, etc.), and just plain cast the string to the struct and start manipulating its fields

There are languages where you can't??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wtf is a systems language anyway

a miserable pile of bitwise operations

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

sports posted:

python 2.6

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wtf is a systems language anyway

bash and awk

not a joke unfortunately

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

bsd grep (macos): 47 KB
gnu grep (linux): 198 KB
rust grep: 4,726 KB

lol

what all is taking up the extra ~4.5MB?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
all the dependencies are statically linked in the rust binary id assume

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and probably the substantially larger feature set and better performance

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sagebrush posted:

There are languages where you can't??

let me tell you about the joyous time i had in college where my CS department decided students needed experience beyond python, and to do so decided to do the computer networking course in Java. turns out reimplementing TCP in Java really sucks

the more effective course was when they had us write a scheme interpreter in C, though this was probably not the best way to introduce students to C for the first time, especially since that part was compressed into the last 5 weeks of the course

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

let me tell you about the joyous time i had in college where my CS department decided students needed experience beyond python, and to do so decided to do the computer networking course in Java. turns out reimplementing TCP in Java really sucks

the more effective course was when they had us write a scheme interpreter in C, though this was probably not the best way to introduce students to C for the first time, especially since that part was compressed into the last 5 weeks of the course

jesus gently caress

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

imo a systems language is one where you can take a network packet or some other bit of raw data that comes in a string, define a struct that says what the bits and bytes represent (eg first 4 bytes are a number, next 2 bytes are some enum code, then a bitfield of flags, etc.), and just plain cast the string to the struct and start manipulating its fields

python is a systems language?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
php is a systems language

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
lets go back to using pascal again

or RPG, that's yer other choice.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

christ no. I'd rather go back to assembly

some dickshit wrote a library I wanted to use in pascal except the only thing it exports is a loving interface to a object pascal class. how the hell am I supposed to use that in literally any other language than object pascal

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

or RPG, that's yer other choice.

as everything else with open source and coding, of course there's good support for pascal now if you want to dust off that delphi skillset you've kept hidden inside

https://www.lazarus-ide.org/

it even supports qt5 now

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Tankakern posted:

as everything else with open source and coding, of course there's good support for pascal now if you want to dust off that delphi skillset you've kept hidden inside

https://www.lazarus-ide.org/

it even supports qt5 now

what in the fuckin' world

I guess I shouldn't be surprised somebody has been releasing a Delphi IDE for the past 20 years but... just... why.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

i would prefer not to

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
starting the -current project today. anyone want to weigh in on cwm vs dwm?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

what in the fuckin' world

I guess I shouldn't be surprised somebody has been releasing a Delphi IDE for the past 20 years but... just... why.

dont forget visual basic

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

both of these are a better choice for a web stack than BCHS

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

are you purposely trying to give me ptsd at this point

I assume sybase has a 2020 release of powerbuilder but I am not gonna look it up

quote:

The phenomenal quantity of bugs and inconsistencies that makes Visual Basic so delightful persuaded me to start this project ;-)

from the first line in the introduction

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahaha

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

olives black posted:

starting the -current project today. anyone want to weigh in on cwm vs dwm?

no fvwm option?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Management posted:

no fvwm option?

nah

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
twm obviously

unless someone has finally fixed olwm and the XView API to work nicely on 64-bit systems, then use it

XView apparently relies on C variable argument list handling and thus needs some tweaking—perhaps just in the form of sane ANSI C89 prototype declarations and introduction of some typedefs—to be reasonable with modern calling conventions

edit: I remember what the issue is, all of the XView APIs are variadic and freely mix int variables, integer literals (which get promoted to int), and pointers, which is only really safe on 64-bit with an ILP64 ABI

with an LP64 ABI, there’s no way to force C varargs to always promote non-long integers to pointer-sized types short of adding a custom compiler __attribute__ with which to tag function prototypes and LOL at anyone modifying compilers just to support XView

eschaton fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 9, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Management posted:

no fvwm option?

fvwm and cwm in you're computer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

edit: I remember what the issue is, all of the XView APIs are variadic and freely mix int variables, integer literals (which get promoted to int), and pointers, which is only really safe on 64-bit with an ILP64 ABI

jfc, that is some ancient poo poo

sports
Sep 1, 2012
cwm is good enough

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

How did your install go OP?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Asleep Style posted:

How did your install go OP?

:smith: next weekend

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
decided to scale back my ambition level on this trip a bit. today i bought a pos pre-assembled hp desktop for $300 from wal-mart that i plan on turning into a jank-as-hell nas/minidlna box once 6.7 is released on tuesday.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
once i'm comfy with that and make some notes on what to do/not to do i'll give -current a shot

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

olives black posted:

a pos pre-assembled hp desktop

jesus. good luck figuring out what hardware you have and which openbsd driver supports it

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Management posted:

jesus. good luck figuring out what hardware you have and which openbsd driver supports it

i made sure that the return people at wal-mart gave zero fucks about what state everything was in so if i can't get it working next week then i'm just going to take it back

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

god drat waste of time, just install linux on it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

presumably it came with windows, so if we're going to throw stones about wasting time...

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Tankakern posted:

god drat waste of time, just install linux on it

nah

presumably it came with windows, so if we're going to throw stones about wasting time...

it's home edition so even if i wanted to juryrig it into some sort of useful network appliance i'm not sure i could

olives black fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 17, 2020

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

fart simpson posted:

what are you referring to here

aws lambdas presumably

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Haiku, Oracle, Rust, Nginx stack

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
dreamweaver/iis/colo/kvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU