Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Maximo Roboto posted:

Haiku, Oracle, Rust, Nginx stack

i dont know what to do if even my stack is horny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I just wanted a stack to include Haiku

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

haskell instead

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

haskell is good

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
trip report update: took the stupid hp back, bought a (possibly less) stupid set of cheapo parts from micro center to build a tower. it's just gonna do dlna, sftp and maybe a few other things.

also got openbsd on an edgerouter 4. reading through the book of pf to get my ruleset nice and tight like your mom's pussy

pram
Jun 10, 2001

fart simpson posted:

haskell is good

:wrong:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my gathering of old fart engineers has observed that Stanford is now teaching CS students rust, and they are coming out as unhireable zealots.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

improvement from before when they were just unhireable imbéciles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

my gathering of old fart engineers has observed that Stanford is now teaching CS students rust, and they are coming out as unhireable zealots.

lol if your bs cs didn't have you touching different langs all of the time.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Management posted:

rust continuing to do the lords work

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ngl i would probably have preferred learning rust instead of C when i was in college

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
the one true plang

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
is there anything quite as good as c for learning about low-level computin' though

(i'm brushing up on x86 assembly and am glad to have a c background)

(also lol the second college i went to had me re-take an operating systems class because they didn't trust the previous school's, which was c-based, and i got to write a thread scheduler for solaris as a final project thing- the new school taught everything in java for pretend os-like tasks :brainworms:)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

C++ can do everything you'd ever need a programming language to do, so it's unclear to me why others even exist. just a bunch of smug nerds thinking they're smarter than bjarne stroustoup and dennis ritchie.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

C++ can do everything you'd ever need a programming language to do, so it's unclear to me why others even exist. just a bunch of smug nerds thinking they're smarter than bjarne stroustoup and dennis ritchie.

I'm probably getting wooshed here but I do some C++ at dayjob and while I enjoy it, my problem is I'm definitely not as smart as stroustrup or ritchie

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The Management posted:

sounds like those engineers are avoiding terrible opportunities op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

C++ javascript can do everything you'd ever need a programming language to do, so it's unclear to me why others even exist. just a bunch of smug nerds thinking they're smarter than bjarne stroustoup and dennis ritchie Brendan Eich.

your post contained a couple tiny errors so i fixed it for you no worries

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

psiox posted:

is there anything quite as good as c for learning about low-level computin' though
I was writing some c this week and it was like, ah, it's nice to program a computer again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't know how you can even call something a programming language if you can't write directly to a memory cell of your choice

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

i don't know how you can even call something a programming language if you can't write directly to a memory cell of your choice

unironically agreed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

sounds like a side effect, op

if it can't be expressed in terms of pure functions it's not something that has any business being written

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

can you write directly to a memory cell using c though? isn't virtual memory in your way here? i guess you can on embedded stuff and old computers though

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

carry on then posted:

sounds like a side effect, op

if it can't be expressed in terms of pure functions it's not something that has any business being written

the function has type universe -> universe op

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The Management posted:

:clap: teach the concepts not a language :clap:

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

I'm probably getting wooshed here but I do some C++ at dayjob and while I enjoy it, my problem is I'm definitely not as smart as stroustrup or ritchie

A great place to learn something hard is a building full of professors who teach it to you for 2+ years.

I was shocked when I found out computer-degreed kids were being dumped into the world knowing only java.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Pike posted:

I was shocked when I found out computer-degreed kids were being dumped into the world knowing only java.

someone needs to write middleware.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
trip report update: my edgerouter 4 is now my home router. linksys router has been decommissioned and boxed up.

just now found out that octeon patches haven't been compiled for syspatch, so it'll be fun installing the compiler set and building those manually when I see a particularly concerning security errata come down the pipe :what:

other than that pf and unbound are pretty badass, and it's nice to be able to administrate my network using good old fashioned config files and a CLI :)

animist
Aug 28, 2018

DELETE CASCADE posted:

imo a systems language is one where you can take a network packet or some other bit of raw data that comes in a string, define a struct that says what the bits and bytes represent (eg first 4 bytes are a number, next 2 bytes are some enum code, then a bitfield of flags, etc.), and just plain cast the string to the struct and start manipulating its fields

old post but not validating poo poo is a great way to install monero miners on all your internet-facing hardware

animist
Aug 28, 2018
me, casting an incoming HTTP request to a void (*coolfunc)(void) and calling it: heh, all these new-school managed-language users just aren't used to REAL low level programming

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

do it all in assembly you cowards

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

animist posted:

me, casting an incoming HTTP request to a void (*coolfunc)(void) and calling it: heh, all these new-school managed-language users just aren't used to REAL low level programming

why is your heap executable?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

The Management posted:

why is your heap executable?

w^x just slows me down, man. I don't like a language where I can't immediately write and execute any memory cell I please.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

animist posted:

w^x just slows me down, man. I don't like a language where I can't immediately write and execute any memory cell I please.

sounds like someone’s got a fancy fully coherent point of unification

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
wasm's official spec used to just be a c repo.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

The Management posted:

sounds like someone's got a fancy fully coherent point of unification

thats because i use x86, like god intended

alternatively: how dare you. ive never made a coherent point in my life

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
just ran through all the patches for 6.7 on the edgerouter 4. deffo set aside a few hours on octeon for this if you're considering this hardware. building the kernel takes around 30-45 mins iirc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
got an HP ProLiant DL360p Gen8 just humming along now with NetBSD

it’s only got two 2.5GHz E5-2640 CPUs so it’s not the speediest but even building LLVM from source with ninja -j24 doesn’t really make the fans run very much

once I replace the SFF×8 drive cage with an LFF×4 bay and install some huge disks maybe that’ll be different

also considering getting more RAM, it’s got 48GB but 32GB modules for it are cheap…

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i miss freebsd 5.x so much. the userspace, amazing docs, the kernel that had a book about it.... a real unix system. drat. that was the last time it was fun to use computer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I just plugged my RTL USB TV receiver into the ProLiant, installed rtl-sdr from pkgsrc, and it just works

need to add an sdr group and chgrp the dev node though, I don’t like having anything that takes input from the outside world running as root

after that I need to set up some RTSP streamer or something so I can use it from anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Vomik posted:

:clap: teach the concepts not a language :clap:

i don't get this, why are people learning languages at all? i graduated from college only 12 years ago (gently caress that sounds like a long time ago now), and we barely had any actual coding in my courses.

mostly it was math courses, and theory/concepts. we had to write stuff for PLCs and FPGAs, but that was more of an understanding of how 1s and 0s can be used to calculate things to be used in the real world. we had one course that was about microcontrollers and programming them in ASM, and that was because it was focused on interfacing with hardware like motors and to learn to apply algorithms at a low level.

oh, I DID have a "programming languages" course that covered a few different languages but we barely wrote code in them, it was just like 3 weeks we'll discuss functional languages (we wrote 3-4 tiny ML programs), some prolog, and i forget what the 3rd was.