Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Happy International Workers' Day everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPExpmtdMEw

Give yourself a day off ey ;)

e:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

LONDON MAY DAY online rally goes LIVE at 11am:

https://www.londonmayday.org/

Anyone lurking in the thread :justpost:, these times are weird and its good to get stuck in.

justcola fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, though if you notified Labour Membership they ought to have done that, but in any case notify your CLP secretary and chair and they'll take you off the local membership lists.

My clp sec was first port of call when I quit- I meant the clp list in the op but thanks regardless :)

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

justcola posted:

Anyone lurking in the thread :justpost:, these times are weird and its good to get stuck in.

You're not my supervisor!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Dell_Zincht posted:

£14.48 to pay in fines

We must secure the existence of public libraries and a future for literate children. Dale Hitler.

you're 40p off :colbert:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Our family realised that the nurse who lives next door and their family don't come out and clap so we've decided gently caress off with it. It's liberation!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dale Hitler's his cousin and also a oval office.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

LordVorbis posted:

You're not my supervisor!

That's not very outlaw country of you

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

DesperateDan posted:

My clp sec was first port of call when I quit- I meant the clp list in the op but thanks regardless :)

Of course it is always possible that your CLP secretary (or membership secretary if you have one) has quit too!
But if they're coming from your local CLP and they're not 'pretty' like the official ones with red tops via the Organise system then they've got you on a separate local list so I guess all you can do is reply and say 'please remove me from your list'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have arisen from my slumber and I am a prisoner of want for breakfast.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Filboid Studge posted:

Few guys I went to school with have been involved with the Lorien Trust for what must be the guts of 20 years now, I think they are the main Norn Iron contingent.

The LARP world is both surprisingly large and entirely incestuous- I know (by sight/in passing rather than personally though) who you’re talking about.

I had another goon add my on Facebook for fudge related reasons and had multiple points of mutual contact despite him not even being a larper. I guess the wider nerdy community is just as full of crossover.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Deleter posted:

Our family realised that the nurse who lives next door and their family don't come out and clap so we've decided gently caress off with it. It's liberation!

Not clapping for :rory: ARE GLORIOUS HEROS :rory: citizen? :mad:

:jail:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not clapping for :rory: ARE GLORIOUS HEROS :rory: citizen? :mad:

:jail:

I don't think anyone on our street is particularly curtain twitchy so the Patriotism Police won't be around anytime soon lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also from last month's thread, but there's some extremely pro stuff at this place.

Soylent Yellow posted:

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/

This should help anyone wanting to carry on punishing their livers. I ordered some stuff from here a couple of weeks ago. Decent prices for mail order.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Dell_Zincht posted:

My library sent me an email saying I have £14.48 to pay in fines when the library re-opens.

I sent them an email back saying "lol no"

My library has just been adding time on the return dates for the books I borrowed just before LOCKDOWN.

Up to 8th of June now.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
my neighbor started bitching at me about us not joining in with the clap

so we started joining in, after i put up a huge NEVER TRUST A TORY sign in our window

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Also from last month's thread, but there's some extremely pro stuff at this place.

Thanks for relinking this, and thanks to Soylent Yellow. That place is making want to :homebrew:

I used to have a couple of those cornelius kegs in a fridge with tap holes drilled out the front in my student flat. We had a near constant 60 bottles/fortnight every fortnight on the go which between 5 of us was absurd. I should really find out what happened to the kit once I left.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ms Adequate posted:

Nah the cruelty is the point. I remember a documentary I watched a few years ago - think it was Portillo whomst was presenting - and after finding a potential means of execution involving some gas or other widely believed to be painless if it was used for such a purpose, took the idea to some top pro-execution oval office in Texas or somewhere.

Said oval office was almost visibly shaking with rage at the prospect of a less cruel, more reliably painless means of execution. All the talk about wanting to do it 'properly' and how it is a grim necessity or what have you went directly out of the window as soon as an actual alternative was presented. That talk lasts as long as is required to try and avoid the cruel and unusual punishment clause, and not a micron further.

Genuinely surprised there isn't a huge pro-torture movement in the US. (Well, the Republicans exist, but you know what I mean :v:)

iirc the bizarre cocktail they use for lethal injections is used specifically because it keeps you awake until death (and has a chance of feeling like liquid fire is being pushed through your veins), when you could much more reliably kill people through injection by ODing them on anaesthesia.

But like guav said, that's no fun because then they might die without knowing about it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

StarkingBarfish posted:

Thanks for relinking this, and thanks to Soylent Yellow. That place is making want to :homebrew:

I used to have a couple of those cornelius kegs in a fridge with tap holes drilled out the front in my student flat. We had a near constant 60 bottles/fortnight every fortnight on the go which between 5 of us was absurd. I should really find out what happened to the kit once I left.

I've used them a couple of times, and they're quite good. I started up again a few weeks ago after not having done any in years. I currently have about 40 litres of beer in various stages of completion. If you really want beer on a budget, you can get the startup equipment and first batch of materials for under £30.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/omaromalleykhan/status/1255947218470735874?s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Stop being rude, Jose.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

iirc the bizarre cocktail they use for lethal injections is used specifically because it keeps you awake until death (and has a chance of feeling like liquid fire is being pushed through your veins), when you could much more reliably kill people through injection by ODing them on anaesthesia.

But like guav said, that's no fun because then they might die without knowing about it.
Also because, specifically in the case of lethal injection, that would risk making it a medical procedure. You usually need qualifications and permission from medical associations to go around injecting people with drugs effectively, and both doctors and pharmaceutical suppliers increasingly refuse to have anything to do with it, leading to the rise of lethal injection cocktails made of 'some bullshit'.

As the inventor of the original cocktail puts it, it's currently at the stage where it's more humane to just use a guillotine.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i was worried that this coronavirus thing was going to continue to cause suffering of some kind but i've looked at facebook and The Facebook Team have added a special new hug reaction emoji thing so I guess that's it that's the virus over now thank you facebook

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

i was worried that this coronavirus thing was going to continue to cause suffering of some kind but i've looked at facebook and The Facebook Team have added a special new hug reaction emoji thing so I guess that's it that's the virus over now thank you facebook

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Doing your own fruit wines out of cheap fruit juice beats beer brewing on terms of cost and effort- literally throw all the ingredients in a suitable container, leave in a warm dark place till it stops bubbling, put in bottles and await liver disease.

Last time I made some it came to about a quid per 2 litres of very drinkable 14% fizzy fruit wine. You can even use empty 2 litre pop bottles to hold it

I did an effort post one time but it probably got lost in the sands of time- I might do another batch later in the year- I'm not a drinker anymore but it's fun and a nice gift to give.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I remember we had a minimum alcohol pricing effortpost at one time, to counter the bad faith whining (and good faith questions) that always result when it's mentioned. I just saw this on the Graun liveblog, obviously it's just a snippet but interesting if true

quote:

Alison Douglas, chief executive of Alcohol Focus Scotland, said, “The initial results from the evaluation of minimum unit pricing are hugely encouraging as studies have found a significant decrease in consumption in the first year compared to England and Wales.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

As the inventor of the original cocktail puts it, it's currently at the stage where it's more humane to just use a guillotine.

It's rather telling that livestock is slaughtered with quicker and more reliable methods than people. The US execution methods (lethal injection, as well as the older mostly discontinued methods like the electric chair and gas chamber) just have so many potential points of failiure built into them that I can only assume they're deliberately needlessly complex. I think this is in part due to proponents of the death penalty having a compulsion to add a sense of theatre to the process. Something as quick and simple as a captive bolt gun or nitrogen asphyxiation wouldn't satisfy this need.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

We’re all working, knocking on doors in the rain or shine, to try to put in place a team that can go into government to improve the country we live in because we love the country we live in.
well not all of us, Keir

also I bet this guy has absolutely zero questionable opinions related to race or nationality

quote:

During a video call with people in Bury, there was criticism from one ex-voter who said he had been made to feel his support for the monarchy, Brexit and even waving the union jack was tantamount to racist behaviour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely sick and tired of these loving snowflakes whose sole concern in life is waving a loving flag around because that's the only problem they've ever had.

It's literally exactly what they complain about the left being. Useless coddled old wastes of skin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Soylent Yellow posted:

It's rather telling that livestock is slaughtered with quicker and more reliable methods than people. The US execution methods (lethal injection, as well as the older mostly discontinued methods like the electric chair and gas chamber) just have so many potential points of failiure built into them that I can only assume they're deliberately needlessly complex. I think this is in part due to proponents of the death penalty having a compulsion to add a sense of theatre to the process. Something as quick and simple as a captive bolt gun or nitrogen asphyxiation wouldn't satisfy this need.

I don't think it's necessarily people wanting to get their rocks off that prevents us from lawfully slaughtering people like cattle. "Needless" complexity is a defence against the realisation that we're just animals.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
imagine literally waving a flag

lmao

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

XMNN posted:

imagine literally waving a flag

lmao

Can't even post a picture of a flag anymore without Ed Miliband firing you

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Imagine believing a flag associated with imperalism and all the evils that came from it, is somehow an inherently racially neutral act and isn't indicative of some underlying issue

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Yellow posted:

There's plausible deniability built into a lot of the modern ones too. Nobody wants to be the guy in the hood pulling the trapdoor lever, so now they need a firing squad of six with one blank, or three people pushing the button for the syringe pump, or throwing the switch for the chair.

You don't get that with a bolt gun, although I suppose you could have a panel of people pushing the button for a dry nitrogen chamber. The heart of the contradiction is wanting a state that kills people without any identifiable person killing anyone.

OwlFancier posted:

Genuinely sick and tired of these loving snowflakes whose sole concern in life is waving a loving flag around because that's the only problem they've ever had.

It's literally exactly what they complain about the left being. Useless coddled old wastes of skin.
look if I believe that only the direct progeny of the house of Anglo-Saxon-Goering should ever get to be the Head of State then that doesn't necessarily make me a racist

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Imagine feeling that your life is so utterly worthless that you have to subsume yourself into the idea of a nation.

This post made by internationalist gang.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
ARE YOU loving READY

https://twitter.com/The_BBQ_Dad/status/1256057655866556422

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
No im not, gimme 5 more minutes, it's the weekend i swear

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

well it was an interesting (and also grotesquely terrible) experiment but rip america

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

Doing your own fruit wines out of cheap fruit juice beats beer brewing on terms of cost and effort- literally throw all the ingredients in a suitable container, leave in a warm dark place till it stops bubbling, put in bottles and await liver disease.

Last time I made some it came to about a quid per 2 litres of very drinkable 14% fizzy fruit wine. You can even use empty 2 litre pop bottles to hold it

I did an effort post one time but it probably got lost in the sands of time- I might do another batch later in the year- I'm not a drinker anymore but it's fun and a nice gift to give.

Lol you're literally making prison wine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

Imagine believing a flag associated with imperalism and all the evils that came from it, is somehow an inherently racially neutral act and isn't indicative of some underlying issue

Agreed. It's inexcusable to wave the Scottish saltire because of the attempt to establish a colony in Darien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

Inert-gas asphyxiation is cheaper, more humane, and much safer and more reliable than any execution method in use anywhere in the world. The cruelty is the point.