Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1214933255058800641

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Build the matrix but program communism into it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Should have changed it to 1997

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or 2012.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
wow who could have predicted the board of deputies was extremely right wing?

https://twitter.com/davidjrosenberg/status/1255062925309612033?s=20

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Saros posted:

Hey UKMT, I have a job opening that I need to fill and bringing a comrade onboard would be great. It's a role on my team processing Patent data for a midsize (~4k people) research company.

At the most basic level I just need someone who is meticulous and able to learn, a background in pharma/patents or a science degree would be great but are not essential. It's technically based in Southbank London but obviously is remote for the foreseeable future and that could possibly continue after the whole 'rona thing is over but someone able to work from London would be preferred. Pay is around £33k plus pretty good benefits including a 11% pension contribution and the company is quite a chill place to work. Union rep is through Unite and they have a strong presence and collective bargaining unit.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested or hit me up on the discord, same name as here.

Just reposting this for anyone who may have missed it, this time with a job spec.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1255055939280998400?s=21

Oof. Extrapolating ahead, we may well be past 50,000 excess deaths now.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Load of free non-fiction books from Springer: everything from computer touching / physics / maths / business / theatre / social justice etc etc.

https://link.springer.com/search/pa...st&showAll=true

Very disappointed that "Handbook of LGBT Elders" is in fact a book about social issues facing older LGBT people and not the gay agenda Protocols of the Elders of Zion (except for real this time, as we are taking over the world, hail satan)

But for real, thanks for linking that, there's a lot of cool-looking maths stuff there. I just downloaded like 8 PDFs which i will definitely get round to reading I swear

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

I'm keeping this one to hand

Go big or go home:

https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-46394-0

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

We're actually close to the peak this time.

Angepain posted:

Very disappointed that "Handbook of LGBT Elders" is in fact a book about social issues facing older LGBT people and not the gay agenda Protocols of the Elders of Zion (except for real this time, as we are taking over the world, hail satan)
Extremely :same:

I've been planning to do more scientific homebrew stuff for a while, and this would have been the perfect opportunity, but the big shop has been completely cleared out of sugar for weeks and now has a purchase limit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

But for real, thanks for linking that, there's a lot of cool-looking maths stuff there.

Liar. Cool and maths don't belong in the same sentence. Unless you're calculating something to do with super conductivity or the like I guess

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Extremely :same:

I've been planning to do more scientific homebrew stuff for a while, and this would have been the perfect opportunity, but the big shop has been completely cleared out of sugar for weeks and now has a purchase limit.

I was in wilko the week before lockdown thinking 'oh cool, I should start brewing again'... I should have stocked up but didn't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

lmao

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"one minute's silence" for the victims of an on-going disaster.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

Liar. Cool and maths don't belong in the same sentence. Unless you're calculating something to do with super conductivity or the like I guess

Hmm, no this can't be right. I do maths and my mum says I'm cool so logically maths must be a thing cool people do. That's an airtight logical proof. Plus I found this image on the World Wide Web.

Can't argue with that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

an EMT shouts "come quickly, this patient has stopped breathing!" and everyone just shushes him and the patient dies on the gurney

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

if the EMT is a woman someone shouts "we're observing a minute's silence for healthcare workers you ignorant bitch"

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1255055939280998400?s=21

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1255075069971304453

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the only time i've flown anything but coach, i took enormous advantage of the free alcohol. the flight attendants have a few tricks - they'll stop offering so you have to ask and obviously if you're visibly intoxicated you get cut off - but i'm a very polite and affable drunk, and airplanes are boring enough i want to be drunk the whole time.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

StarkingBarfish posted:

I was in wilko the week before lockdown thinking 'oh cool, I should start brewing again'... I should have stocked up but didn't.
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/

This should help anyone wanting to carry on punishing their livers. I ordered some stuff from here a couple of weeks ago. Decent prices for mail order.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The numbers stuff and the "this can't happen in an advanced democracy" stuff is just excruciatingly embarassing

Were like 8 weeks into the man behind the curtain getting revealed and the UK being shown to be a sham and the journos are really loving struggling with that reveal despite it being telegraphed for decades

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

the only time i've flown anything but coach, i took enormous advantage of the free alcohol. the flight attendants have a few tricks - they'll stop offering so you have to ask and obviously if you're visibly intoxicated you get cut off - but i'm a very polite and affable drunk, and airplanes are boring enough i want to be drunk the whole time.

Any intercontinental flight I've been on had free booze. I was sat in silence watching films and air france crew told me they thought I'd have enough to drink when cutting me off

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I was on an air india flight a few years ago and the attendant came over 2/3rds of the way into the flight and asked me if I wanted a drink, I asked for a beer and then they asked, "Another one?", so I said uuh sure, took it, then they said "Another one?" again and I ended up with 3 beers at once without even needing to ask.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I fly long haul relatively often(that immigrant family life) and accepting booze at every opportunity is the only way to do it. Don't bother with red wine though, it'll be icy cold and taste awful.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Jose posted:

Any intercontinental flight I've been on had free booze. I was sat in silence watching films and air france crew told me they thought I'd have enough to drink when cutting me off

Anti-English racism innit. Sitting there with a stiff upper lip when you should be pissing freely in the aisles a la Gérard Depardieu and getting a bit louche with someone else's spouse.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
when I went to Japan my friend asked for cognac immediately after take off (~8 am UK time) and the flight attendant just looked at him and said "maybe a bit later" lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

The numbers stuff and the "this can't happen in an advanced democracy" stuff is just excruciatingly embarassing

Were like 8 weeks into the man behind the curtain getting revealed and the UK being shown to be a sham and the journos are really loving struggling with that reveal despite it being telegraphed for decades

I mean they literally got their jobs for being the most credulous bourgeois society idiots that could hold a pen.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Whenever the tory ministers, mps go on tv you can see the glazed look in their eyes, nothing behind them, absolutely dead like a shark's eyes, no humanity

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

I mean they literally got their jobs for being the most credulous bourgeois society idiots that could hold a pen.

Yeah it's just exhausting, like some morons standing in front of a leak in a boat going "boy it's sure a good thing objective reality doesn't exist because otherwise this leak would be real!"

Also "advanced democracy" we somehow skipped by from theocratic monarchy past basic democracy into advanced when I wasn't looking

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I feel we have all missed a critically important moment, the anniversary of a key day in history which it always bears remembering.

Happy Ed Balls Day, UKMT.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I can't get pissed on flights, usually because i've either taken some internet drugs to get me to sleep, or becuase i don't want to spend the entire flight pissing.

I've also never pressed the button.... because I am a coward. So i spend the entire flight gagging for water

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The only possible overlap of electrical systems engineering and spinal surgery I can see is that you're planning to build the Matrix. Don't build the Matrix

Going back a bit but I literally worked on a biomed device for that.

It was kinda poo poo mind you, no idea if it ever got past trials.

e: Spinal disk surgery, not matrix.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 28, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

I can't get pissed on flights, usually because i've either taken some internet drugs to get me to sleep, or becuase i don't want to spend the entire flight pissing.

I've also never pressed the button.... because I am a coward. So i spend the entire flight gagging for water

You could just get up, go to the back of the plane and ask them for some.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if asking for water is simply too much get ready for this: you can get bottled water in the terminal and carry it right on the plane with you!

thanks for watching please like and subscribe

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Eigtheen days without the UK running a coal power station.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have never drank on a flight but in my defence I have never been on a plane since my pre-teen years.

Now I'm a big grown adult I am too poor to fly

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I've only flown once, Kirkwall to Aberdeen. I had a cup of tea

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got bumped to premium economy on BA last when they ran out of seat and they give you wine or something on the tarmac. And I regard a G&T as obligatory on long haul, and any exclusive beers they might have, the BA Brewdog is decent. All helps me get a bit of sleep on there, I've never found there were so many movies I could fill the flight with them.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

kecske posted:

if asking for water is simply too much get ready for this: you can get bottled water in the terminal and carry it right on the plane with you!

thanks for watching please like and subscribe

depends where you are, they have secondary checks now in a bunch of airports when you go from the terminal to the boarding lounge and they take your water. cheeky bastards!

Necrothatcher posted:

You could just get up, go to the back of the plane and ask them for some.

social interaction is too high a price for my life, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Celexi posted:

No idea what was going on with virgin atlantic lately, but I flew them first class like 2006 to jfk from london that someone else paid, and we both agreed it had been a waste of money and the staff and crew tried too hard being edgy, we returned in an american airlines coach flight and to this day I still don't know what was so amazing about virgin atlantic

The one time I ever flew with Virgin was after my wife and I were married. We had saved up for a deluxe honeymoon on the basis you only live once.

We had thought about going to Italy or the US, but since Trump had been elected we really didn't want the US getting our honeymoon money so we went to Cancun instead.

Our flight with the travel agent was a Virgin flight to Mexico from London.
And it was jammed. We were situated between two people. One was a woman who the staff stopped serving drinks before the takeoff because she had gotten so balloubas drunk. She then swapped with a friend who kept getting drinks for her.

The guy in my side kept getting up mid flight to go talk to his mates, before going back to his seat, fidgeting nervously and asking how long was left in the flight because he was dying for a cigarette.

And the whole section of the plane was like that. Super loud, super chaotic and boozed up.

My wife and I both deeply regreated not thinking ahead and upgrading our seats. Like going from economy to premium (not even business class) would have likely been much better.