Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Deleter posted:

Our family realised that the nurse who lives next door and their family don't come out and clap so we've decided gently caress off with it. It's liberation!

Not clapping for :rory: ARE GLORIOUS HEROS :rory: citizen? :mad:

:jail:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1256334023250468864

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm going to team up with that guy to test my prototype piss burner.

Taking "boils my piss" to a whole other level.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah my granny was old enough to remember the Belfast Blitz - she was born in '31 or '32 I believe - and she died a few years ago in her mid-80s. It's not the WW1 situation with no remaining veterans yet, but we're getting there rapidly. Proabably it's a Harry Patch situation where the remaining WW2 vets are all that's been holding it back, and as they head on, more and more boomer weapons get their brains melted and start dressing as poppies.

It's been really noticeable in the last 20 years or so, and more frenzied every time it appears. And more empty ritual, than any kind of meaningful gesture at this point. A handy-dandy plaster to stifle any criticism of British military actions, and the complete abandonment of soldiers when they're no longer "useful".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

big scary monsters posted:

The strangest part of this video is someone with a Scottish accent having a St. George's cross tattoo.

Means he slew a sasanach. Or a dragon. Or a Turkish saint. Either or.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

B-but Boris Johnson said we were just past the peak now! If we can't believe Boris Johnson, who can we believe?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Going to have a niece in a few weeks. Bit annoyed my sister has turned down my naming suggestion of "Verruca Sephiroth"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jedit posted:

I have personally met Richard Head, so they're not all myths.

And my mate's dad is called Michael Hunt.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

He's only saying that because he needs to be invited across the threshold whereas Corona may tread freely. More people out in the open = more necks on which to sup.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jippa posted:

People are seriously pissed off that mcdonald's isn't reopening in their area.

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsUK/status/1257595625757122560

Dunno why Medway of all places is getting two McDonalds open less than a mile apart. Oh well *crying Invicta horse*

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

lol we're gonna have 40,000 dead before the end of summer aint we

Probably more so in all honesty. And's that by using the government's already super massaged numbers - various things suggest the actual number could already be above 50k :/

And the narratives are already being spun towards pointing the finger anywhere but at the government, and trying to justify why it's worth the risk of peoples lives to make MONEY NUMBER MUST GO UP and any who think otherwise are feckless traitor scroungers who are talking down Britian and bringing politics into things when the government has done a really good job despite the hardship (the usual loving bollocks the ignorant or compliant spout).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

XMNN posted:

I've already seen people start to push the inevitable "hindsight is 20/20" narrative/gas lighting, like anyone who was paying even the slightest bit of attention wasn't concerned about this weeks before the government chose to act.

Well yeah, they've already been doing that for weeks trying to bury the fact that they've known about this since at least January, (with warnings of lack of PPE from NHS and dry-runs of pandemic protocols known for at least 2 years before that).

Hell, even when it started appearing on the news and the general public was gaining awareness of it, anyone who gave a gently caress, and wasn't a skull-measuring brain genius could see that it would spread to here, and that was in late February/early March? Just doing their usual complacent, "We don't give a gently caress; it'll probably only affect the poors, just as long as they don't die in too great numbers to stop the money machine."

And that's without the later revelations that have emerged since with the "Herd Immunity" poo poo, and the government having to bow to public pressure over actually shutting poo poo, and their desperate eagerness to reopen businesses, despite the cost in human lives. And that includes the deaths that result for whatever they brand Austerity 2: Electric Boogaloo as.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 6, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

endlessmonotony posted:

Calling Brexit "this" pandemic in 2020 is a bit unclear.

Keep forgetting Brexit is "happening" later this year. :lol:

That's going to be a fun clusterfuck is they still insist on not moving the date, if the world is still in various waves of pandemic.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

yaffle posted:

You can't beat a nice cup of tea.

This is violence. :catstare:

Having so many silent screams watching this. Almost as bad as that picture drunken TERF Francis Berber post of her "home-made chicken soup", which looked like the innards of a goddamn septic tank after an extremely bad night on the lash.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 7, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ronya posted:

not sure STOP THE BOATS! resonates as well in the UK as Australia, but I suppose Farage is casting around for a new slogan to pass the time now

He's struggling to scream for airtime given that Brexit is happening, and he's always got to keep the greasy grift going.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Necrothatcher posted:

Saw an interesting tweet from Owen Jones yesterday pointing out that the reason the newspapers are teasing so many end of lockdown stories and trying to manufacture public pressure for it to end is that they're on the verge of death now that sales and advertising revenue have collapsed.

inshallah

*Random voxpops BBC journalist, sweating profusely*: "Excuse me sir, what's your opinion on the closure of the Sun, Times, Express and Daily Mail?"
Necrothatcher: "I'm glad they're dead."

It's just a shame they'll be kept on digital life support, and continually propped up by the BBC - it just won't be the physical papers, just the online ones. :/

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jel Shaker posted:

I think that’s true but I also imagine that there a huge amount of groupthink among journos, especially since the last crash that there’s been a huge amount of job cuts and the ones who remain are either fully bought into laissais faire capitalism or are so rich they’re basically jobbing as a hobby

Looking forward to the next Drugstore Culture-esque ventures by ex-op ed writers.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Accidentally tripped and fell on a garden gnome while not wearing any pants.

thespaceinvader posted:

The death of the physical papers would still be a good thing, both from the perspective of maybe let's not cut down thousands of trees a day to make entirely disposable reading materials that a good chunk of the buyers of only read a few pages of, cart them hundreds of miles round the country and the world, for basically no reason any more. I can only imagine literally hundreds of tonnes of paper get wasted a day on newspapers, even if you count the ones that are bought and read fully as not being a waste.

And from the perspective of not having fascist agitprop prominently displayed in every loving storefront in the country.

Yeah that's true, and an added benefit of them loving finally dying. And it does close off at least one avenue of national brainrot seeping into peoples' brains everytime they pop down the shop.

Although we'll probably been seeing a lot more of them as talking heads regurgitating the same old poo poo, to be endless regurgitated back and forth across other talking heads with the same toxic views and pointless speculations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

baka kaba posted:

vox pop: haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

e- glad you had victory in chicken Josef!

VC Day :)7 :cryingcolonelsanders.gif:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Prince John posted:

Isn't that just dictated by the 75th anniversary though? We'd still be celebrating it today with no COVID and if Corbyn was PM.

"If Corbyn was in charge we'd be flying Soviet Flags" - My latest piece in the times by Puce Wattlegammon

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Paul Thomas in The Paper That Supported Hitler right on cue...

British facists trying to take out a plane that killed Nazis via an unorthodox cork bomb. An accurate cartoon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Among other things :gonk:

Nothing says "Patriotism" more than dressing-up and posing your QE2 realdoll for the world to see.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

It's the arms that get me, they're just so uncanny valley. :krakken:

Showing your love of queen and country with your Levi's distressed look flag and Slenderma'am window display.

Holy poo poo :lmao: that caught me off guard :golfclap:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Doccykins posted:

The British public don't need to go for it, just the Tory membership

If it would even go that far. May was coronated by default after the others dropped out.

I'd loving hope it would go further if they were desperate enough to consider werido-fishman Gove though, Jesus Christ.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

kecske posted:

make the metal gear ! noise every time you are alerted

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

happyhippy posted:

So you should work from home, and if you can't, you SHOULD goto work.

Everythings back open lads.

Fancy a pint?

Look plebs, you should be generating wealth for us. As long as you don't use the bus.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Aphex- posted:

I didn't watch it because I hate looking at Boris, what were the main points/changes if anything? Even if it's just vague fluff.

Plebs in the construction and maunfactory industry are :airquote: suggested :airquote: to go back to work tomorrow.

Then a big wish list of "ifs" and vague hopes on reopening schools (June 1st), pubs, restuarants, cinemas and such later. Next Wednesday they'll allow unlimted outdoor exercise, rather than the 1-a-day they've vaguely hinted at thus far.

It's basically nothing we didn't suspect, but a nothing vague word jumble that is going to result in a lot more needless deaths.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/jackmirkinson/status/1259546236551663616

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Vitamin P posted:

So they're already extending the furlough well past the point they say we'll be back at work but at a rate insufficient for poorer workers to live on what the gently caress is happening

Can't die of COVID if you die of starvation and homelessness first.

"Look at COVID death rate dropping!" *kicks living poverty stats chart behind the sofa*

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 10, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sebzilla posted:

It would probably be cheaper to cancel all rent/mortgage payments and just pay for everyone's utilities and food instead of furlough.

:monocle: B-but that would encourage people to be feckless - they're already laying around addicted to furlough. Why, if the government provided things, however would their mates make any profit!?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ThomasPaine posted:

oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!

Congratulations! :toot:

Although I'm now imagining "Dr Paine" to be a Batman villain.

[e]: Starmer droned something about "creating a national concensus", "working with the government when good", "and opposing when bad" (Jesus Christ) and then my brain shut off.

The ending was "better", in the loosest sense, saying that things will have to change after this, not just clapping for nurses and such, but paying them more than minimum wage and that - although it was said with the conviction of a man arguing with himself if it should be increased by 5p, or 2p and the merits of one over the other. And I honestly just feel this is going to be the Miliband years all over again.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 11, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1259893169912766464

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 11, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1260172273941721092

[e]: Beaten

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's illegal to use a legal name. :tinfoil:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Communist Thoughts posted:

So the lockdown is just sort of ending anyway without us ever doing a proper one?

More or less.

The government never really wanted to enforce one in the first place - hense the half-arsed vague guidelines and complete reluctance to do anything until forced to - especially with Johnson getting it after his blasé "Oh yeah take it on the chin" poo poo.

And now they've had to temporarily enact policies completely against their ideology - because otherwise the economy would poo poo itself - they're eager for things to return to the status quo, so they can stop pretending to give a gently caress.

And shift the blame for the inevitable second wave on everyone else, but themselves and their complete disregard for human live over MAKE MONEY NUMBER BIGGER.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

justcola posted:

Start getting that toilet paper in now, you'll thank me in the 'summer of the dirty arse' as it will come to be known.

Leading into the Autumn of the Unwashed Taint, and the Winter of the Indelible Skidmark.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Here's something to cheer people up - The Libdem 2019 Autopsy Thread:
https://twitter.com/bloonface/status/1261328725431537665

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Going through some old family albums and things in my mum's cellar and found a commemorative book for the royal fartcatchers from space year 1985.

Nothing unexpected outside of the usual fawning statements, but amusingly their section on Andrew is them half-heartedly trying to polish a turd.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Just found out my Great Aunt died of Covid-19 on Monday :(

Condolences comrade :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm just glad the government decided to improve everyone's spirits by celebrating meltdown may.

Celebrating May's true legacy as PM in the best way :britain: