Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

This is the hottest of loving takes but I think this is true.

I feel like people are aware and disturbed that something is very, VERY wrong at the moment and has been for a long time, but they can't make the cognitive leap to understand why, so they do the things they're told to which they're told will make it better and they get perpetually more frustrated when it doesn't work until they're banging their bin with a cricket bat in a ritual to try to summon a better world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Technically the UK is 4 countries, but still, thats loving stupidly high.

The number of countries doesn't matter, the population of them does.

Italy and France each have broadly the same population as the UK, Spain has about 2/3 the population.

So we are ahead by like...about 2 and 2/3 in terms of per capita deaths.

One of the things that has really frustrated me throughout this crisis is the insistence on reporting absolute numbers like they're relevant when what's relevant is cases per capita.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bobstar posted:

I agree and am not a prescriptivist at all, but tongue-in-cheekly I think we need a replacement word, for situations like this

"That rollercoaster was so scary I wet myself!"
"Haha yeah me too"
"No I mean I literally wet myself"
"Haha yeah me too"

Should be good for a few years before it comes to mean figuratively as well :v:

actually works.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bobstar posted:

I have thought this about the peak/off peak pricing distinction since before the pandemic, or at least the rationale that the higher peak price might deter people who can travel at other times. The sardine-like trains do that on their own!

Similarly the posters I've seen in London saying "have you thought about travelling between 10amm and 4pm (or whatever) when it's quieter". Are there really people who can go into town whenever, standing on a train at 0830 muttering "why is it so busy?"

I'm reminded that when my dad was commuting itno London from Hampshire on the regular, the off-peak trains were referred to as 'the gentlemens' train' with the strong implication that only people who could afford to go into work late could ride them.

If anything off-peak and peak pricing should be loving reversed.

Well, if anything public transport should be nationally owned and free at point of use, but you know.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I... don't understand why all the people who claim to really, really care about anti-semitism are going apeshit over this Gove book business. Like, is this some 8 dimensional chess move or is it just a random Twitter thing that's happened to blow up oddly?

Why is the Jewish Chronicle defending people who own books by David Irving. It's weird.

Because things done by people they dislike are all bad all the time, and things done by people they like cannot be bad, because they like them.

C.f. basically our entire media system.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dabir posted:

Conservative thinkers don't have principles, they have a team. If you're on the team you're Good, if you're not you're Bad, any logical pretzels you have to twist yourself into to justify that to others are fine. There's no cognitive dissonance because they don't care about the things they say being correct, only that they benefit My Team.

It's Just World fallacy again too, to some extent. These guys have been in power for literal decades, so they must be the good guys, because in a just world bad guys don't get and retain power.

So anyone attacking or challenging them must be a bad guy, and defending them against that is good, regardless of what the vector for the attack is.

The more I think abotu it the more Just World fallacy seems to be to blame for like. Everything.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's possible to read hideous ideas without loving BUYING AND DISPLAYING THEM.

Even if libraries are far to plebe for you, you can keep them in like. A box in the attic or whatever.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

winegums posted:

This Gove bookshelf stuff really bummed me out. I'm under no illusions as to how the media machine conspired with inside sources at Labour to make the AS thing a "thing", but it's just really frustrating how cynically it all plays out. Literally nobody important argued this in good faith so when Gove's bookcase was seen, the same people who were screaming about Corbyn's anti-semitic eyebrow movements were silent about Gove's reading habits.

It is, at least, a good moment to point Liberals to when they think they're going to make the right-wing poo poo itself by pointing out hypocrisy or double standards. It's part of a reason they all have a giant lob-on for Keir Starmer. They think he's going to trap Johnson and his ilk in some logical net of forensic questioning at PMQs, and his whole front bench will explode like robots. When in reality he might get a "win" on the coverage of PMQs, and precisely gently caress all will change otherwise.

They literally don't care about change, they just care about scoring a point for their team in politicsball.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

XMNN posted:

BBC journo getting salty in the replies

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1257997289794174979?s=20

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1258001125439090688?s=20

am I reading this wrong or is he saying it's no longer important enough to go in the rundown of headlines because it's 12 hours old?

also if it's 12 hours old won't this be the first edition of today that could discuss it

e: I am not reading it wrong, it had been out for 12 hours and it's not "an exclusive" therefore it is not worth including in the rundown of the most important news of the day at 8 am

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1258003025538547713

tbf they included it at 6 am when it was still news, andI have to imagine that's when their audience is the biggest it is for the entire broadcast and not e.g. the square root of gently caress all

6am probably would be among their larger audiences, normally.

Just not right now when vastly fewer people have to commute for hours to get to jobs starting at 8:30.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/1258378643979620353

BAME people more at risk *even when accounting for all other risks associated with BAME populations* and smokers being safer than never-smokers being safer than ex-smokers are probably the weirdest takeaways from this.

e: corrected the order of risk for smokers.

Some of these will probably be coincidental findings, for what its worth, or non-causally connected - e.g. (not saying this is why, but offering a possible suggestion to illustrate a point) smokers tending to spend more time outside than non-smokers, being more likely to maintain a safe distance and not catch it, or something, rather than somehow being defended from the virus by ciggies.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

*Random voxpops BBC journalist, sweating profusely*: "Excuse me sir, what's your opinion on the closure of the Sun, Times, Express and Daily Mail?"
Necrothatcher: "I'm glad they're dead."

It's just a shame they'll be kept on digital life support, and continually propped up by the BBC - it just won't be the physical papers, just the online ones. :/

The death of the physical papers would still be a good thing, both from the perspective of maybe let's not cut down thousands of trees a day to make entirely disposable reading materials that a good chunk of the buyers of only read a few pages of, cart them hundreds of miles round the country and the world, for basically no reason any more. I can only imagine literally hundreds of tonnes of paper get wasted a day on newspapers, even if you count the ones that are bought and read fully as not being a waste.

And from the perspective of not having fascist agitprop prominently displayed in every loving storefront in the country.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I remember the bank holiday being shifted, and there was a commemorative 50p and the standard WW2 movies on TV. There wasn't as much flags and bunting and backyard barbecues everywhere though, at least where I was. Probably because it wasn't being used as a distraction as much.

It was also 25 years closer to the event, therwe were significantly more people alive who actually remembered it then. I learned about it in primary school, very much with a 'WW2 was a tragedy, this is the day we commemorate it ending' flavour rather than a ra ra jingoism one.

But then, my older teachers at the time were either born when rationing was still happening, or very shortly afterwards.

And again, that's very much not true any more.

25 years of remove makes the whole event much less real, and much more myth.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Be a lert.

The country needs lerts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't even get the economic argument to be honest, surely even killing everyone the virus can kill in a "controlled" manner is gonna cause far more economic damage than figuring out how to make it work without killing people.

Of course that also makes sense from the stupid tory angle whereby they can't think past next week and also don't want to bother managing a major shift in how the economy works.

Yes, but that will happen in 6 months or so when oh look, they're already planning to crash the economy on ideological grounds anyway, so having a national disaster to blame is actually super convenient.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

Walking alertly down a deserted alleyway with my keys clenched in a sweaty fist in case coronavirus jumps out at me from behind a bin.

Sitting alertly at my desk at home, like every day for the vast majority of the past year and a half, alertly watching the parcel that just arrived in case it mutates into a giant nail-studded green football with a mouth and starts eating my face.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I agree a dog would be a better PM.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

XMNN posted:

loving hell

a bunch of word salad that's going to kill people :thumbsup:

Did he specify anythign about schools?

Because if they force schools to open things are gonna kick off like wow.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/LondonIWW/status/1259575815915876352?s=20

That there's no unions talking about a general strike right now really is the worst indictment possible of the contemporary labour movement & its complete refusal to put up a fight. Yeah, sure, it's illegal. Unions were illegal themselves once, didn't stop people organising together. If the only thing we can do to save lives is refusing to go to work then it's the moral thing to do.

Anyway, now really is the time to join a union if you are in work, even with them often as limp as they are. And consider also joining the IWW for an actually radical option. And while I don't control the purse strings, if you are short of cash & unable to afford to join up that seems like the sort of thing the UKMT solidarity fund could help with?

I need to remember to join the IWW.

This is my reminder to me to join the IWW when I'm awake enough to know how to internet properly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

justcola posted:

They can't be arsed giving us all face masks so just wear a scarf that will act as a sort of sponge instead

I'm gonna be making my own for my weekly Out Time, which I've thus far resisted bothering with, on the basis that honestly the only thing I'm doing is going from my cart to the shop, doing the shop, going back to the car - but now if we're going to have kids being largely asymptomatic vectors again and decent chunks of the population being forced to work, I'll probably take 60% effectiveness over nothing.

I pity future me for the paranoia over whether it's safe to touch the apples I will have bought yesterday.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gort posted:

The Starmer Plan is to be as unobtrusive as possible until the election, at which point the tories will hopefully have hosed up enough for him to win on a "Not the tories" ticket. It was also the Milliband Plan.

Sounds far too radical, I think it's more likely to be 'you had your ten years, it's our turn now'.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess if you've bought every private rental property in the country you've kind of made private rentals against the law? So they won't be reoffending.

Only if you then legislate to prevent anyone buying or building a house that they don't intend to live in, or that they intend to rent out for any reason.

If you just make a single mass purchase you fix the proximate problem, but not the long-term one.

Also, any putative mass purchase REALLY needs to take into account empty properties as well as lets.

Heck, we could solve a significant chunk of the problem if we just compulsory purchased any property left empty for more than *insert reasonable period of time here to deal with estates*.

(Or maybe, just maybe, abolish the concept of housing being a saleable asset from an estate. If a relative dies and the execution of their will doesn't put their house directly into occupation by a person, it goes to the state and the estate gets the money instead), I've not fully thought this aspect through)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not really behind the "gently caress Starmer for literally every decision he makes" train at the moment, but gently caress me I listened to the whole 2 minutes and is that supposed to be forensic? It was waffley, he stumbled over his words, he was shuffling his papers around trying to find the point.

Reality is constructed by the media, not by reality. He is as devastatingly forensic as they need him to be, until they need him to be something else, at which point he;ll be waffley and poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The sad fact being there are probably an awful lot of landlords in the Labour party. There are loads of otherwise well-meaning people who happen to own a house in addition to whatever their job is, which they don't want to sell right now but also don't want to live in, so they rent it out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My gut feel is that this is likely to be 'leaving the hotel that they have been put up in for the duration' if they were sleeping rough - the vast majority of people who were sleeping rough have been brought into hostel or hotel rooms for a month or so now - or leaving the sofa they've been surfing on, or whatever. I might poke someone at work and see if anyone knows more.

It's utter bullshit either way (because arresting people for being homeless is always utter bullshit when there are more empty homes than homeless people), but it's probably not quite as ridiculous as it sounds prima facie.

To segue somewhat, The Event is honestly a huge opportunity for ending or dramatically reducing rough sleeping - it's very, very rare to have the vast majority of people who would be sleeping rough in places where their location is known, they can easily receive post and communication, and they have 3 square a day. A lot of work is being done to make sure that as many people as possible move on from those hotels into actual accommodation, rather than back onto the streets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I have a "real" name that's on my passport and birth certificate, way too hard for white people to say, at this point I think of myself in my anglicized nickname. Some of my bills I accidentally put down that nickname and it never came to anything, they opened the account and I realised when the bills started arriving. Including my electric bill, which could surely be used as "ID". Is that the point where it would hit fraud? This country is stupid.

No.

As long as you're not trying to pretend you are another person in order to gain access to their finances, you're not defrauding anyone if you manage to get yourself known by a different name.

A deed poll is just a formalised way of doing what you snuck into via the electric company.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, does it?

Like, an abusive organisation has said it is investigating the abuse, and that's enough?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CancerCakes posted:

Wriggle accomplished. Starmer still thinks he is in a court arguing with a lawyer, while he is actually in the circus arguing with the clown. The clown doesn't care if you make him look stupid, or point out he is incompetent. The only thing the clown cares about is that people are looking at him and not you.

I genuinely don't understand how people can have watch Trump for the past oh god it's been nearly FIVE loving years, and still not understand how fascists win arguments.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah and they go directly between multiple houses too. You would need like, a hazmat suit and a guy spraying you down between houses for that to not be a massive transmission vector.

This is gonna be me tomorrow we're getting an electrician round to fix our washing machine.

RIP us I guess.

I'm in the process of tidying everything off the surfaces in the kitchen so I've less to clean afterwards.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

"Clean my toilet, for your self esteem"

Is a loving hell of a middle class take even when there's not a plague on.

It's a fascinating example of the Yes Minister effect. Something must be done, this is something, therefore, we must do it.

Having a job gives people self esteem.

This is a job, therefore it must give people self esteem.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

peanut- posted:

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPeckham/status/1260609700330196992

Imagine writing this because you can't be hosed to do your own housework

What an idiot.

Neither is acceptable in a pandemic unless you already live with the person you're paying to do the thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I've been paying sex workers during the pandemic, you should too.

Paying sex workers is fine. I would also encourage it. Heck, booking your post-quarantine BJ is probably fine, just like a lot of people have been buying vouchers for drinks whenever they can get back to the pub, to help the pub stay viable.

Paying them to perform physical sex acts on your person when you don't live in the same house is not.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

winegums posted:

Hi chums, asking for a bit of vague legal advice from the internet.

I got a new car insurance policy a few months ago. They asked for proof of no claims, i was moving house at the time and hosed up and didn't send it, sot hey cancelled the policy.

Got a new policy with a different company. They wanted some paperwork. Initially they wanted a photocopy of my driver's license, which I sent, and then another item which could be:

• utility bill
  • tennancy agreement
  • council tax bill
  • pay slip
  • some other stuff idk

I sent them a pay slip, and they said "we can't accept this, it doesn't have your address on it" despite that not being a requisite at the time. I've now sent a tenancy agreement and they've said I have a week to supply a utility bill or they'll cancel the policy and charge a cancellation fee. My gut non-legally trained opinion is that this sounds dubious, and I think if it went to small claims they'd have a hard time rationalising why they kept rejecting items that were on their initial list. Anyone got any advice or experience (beyond "don't ask the loving UKMT for legal advice you goon")?

Car insurance companies shouldn't need anything except the details of the car to be insured AFAIK, and they don't even need proof of ownership of it.

This sounds like some bullshit.

I literally bought car insurance the day of the lockdown starting, from Admiral I think, online with no checks, and all they needed was the numberplate, before even owning the car.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I earnestly hope that everyone involved in writing and printing this gets corona and has to lie alone on a hospital bed slowly drowning in the remains of their own lungs.

I'm honestly so disgusted. The government is cracking on with this knowing that is going to definitely kill teachers, will probably kill a lot of the kids' families, and will also kill at least a few kids.

And it's not just the teachers, their families, the kids, and their families, either. it's putting more people into contact with each other during a pandemic of a disease that has a two loving week asymptomatic transmission period.

Those teachers and their families still have to buy food and supplies. They still have to take the bus. They still have to be in a building which needs cleaning and maintenance. Those children still have to be fed, which food needs buying, cooking, and serving, etc etc etc.

And of course, the fash rag is making them hErOeS, and will no doubt be clapping for them next week. Then excoriating the week after for not being heroic enough when they start loving dying of plague.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

winegums posted:

https://twitter.com/JessicaLBarnard/status/1261992466347102214

Why the gently caress can't people on the left just coalesce and get in line. We all want the same things. Why does every oval office need to be in charge of their own little feifdom?

Depending on your definition of the left, we definitely don't all want the same things, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

His porn watching has been entirely replaced by trawling every nations press for examples of trans people doing a crime.

And let's face it it's probably still serving the same purpose.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Actual :laffo: at the notion London doesn't have any good nights out.

I mean it doesn't at the moment.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why do people insist that because (apparently) Corbyn is 'worth millions' (where do they get this poo poo from) and Starmer possibly has a cleaner (does he? I've no idea) Labour doesn't speak for the working classes, therefore you must vote tory because DePfeffel and co do?

Grrr.. my blood pressure is rocketing. Comments made by a 'friend' I have unfollowed on FB but I can see her comments on other peoples' posts.

(First time I've felt protective of Starmer LOL)

It's because they are the media and don't want the people to have power, or because they read the media that tells them not to want the people to have power.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the idea that the labour party (and politics in general) is grossly overrepresented in the posh twats department is a valid criticism, the difference is corbyn clearly has not let that limit the boundaries of his thoughts and actions while starmer, like most of his peers, certainly doesn't seem particularly interested in rising above the limitations of his circumstances.

The Labour party is a lot less overrepresented in the posh twats department if you look at the whole party - both the whole PLP and the whole membership - rather than just the bits of each that make the papers.

It's easy to forget that Labour has the vast majority of the working-class MPs in Parliament, when the only ones you see are the PPE-SPAD-MP track people the press like.

That's not to say that more working class and minority representation isn't needed - of course it is - but it's very easy to overlook the fact that it's already there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sure it's valid criticism, but how to make the leap from "these leftish people have this, therefore do not speak for me, therefore I must vote tory because these rightwing people who have considerably more than these lefty people will speak up for me better."

It's a lot less involved than that though, I think. People who are voting against their interests aren't thinking rationally about the implications of the information they're given, or thinking about the implications of the information they're NOT given (i.e. it's not like the articles about Corbyn being a millionaire mention that Boris is a hundred-millionare, in the same way as the articles about millionaire actors or sports people don't mention the near-trillionaire status of Bezos, or just how wide that gap is), they're just absorbing the information they're given and returning it when asked.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Why does being rich mean you can't want poor people to have better lives?

Like, in the millionaire business owner sense it's because that directly undercuts your profits, but why does someone owning a house in London mean they can't want everyone to be able to own a house in London if they need to.

In the latter case, there is a pretty strong argument that says if everyone owns a house in London, then when you need to trade up to a bigger one because you had kids or whatever (or you want to move out to the country), you now can't do so as easily, because there's no particular market for people taking your current one.

Having a market to sell into requires housing to be a scarce resource.

Which is why housing shouldn't be a market commodity, but you know, trying to persuade anyone who's not already eyeballs-deep in breadtube of that sort of reality is a hiding to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Lib Dems will never collaborate with a Labour that will lead in a meaningfully different way from the Tories.