Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Deketh posted:

That's pretty rough dude. I know it's a luxury option but that place sounds toxic and you should quit if at all possible for your own health!
Another option is to go on autopilot (tbf, you've clearly been trying) and just stop caring but the rona don't mind about that

justcola posted:

Not to sound too dismissive, but are you in a position to quit?

Quitting some bullshit job that just winds you up and is constantly thankless and surrounded by co-workers who are either poo poo-stirrers or boot-lickers tends to be a good decision - I've never regretted quitting a job. I had a quick look to see if businesses are still hiring and there seems to be a glut of coronavirus-based work about - plus loads of charities and grant giving bodies will be giving out awards in the next month that should boost some more availability (plus all the temp stuff thats always on)

Or just stop caring, turn up, do the bare minimum, find something else you enjoy outside of work that gives you fulfilment and potentially experience to hop over to another career.

Either way, good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7rPq_0kJ0

Cheers for the support guys. Yea I'm quitting this week, I've told my coworkers I'm out today and had to email my manager my notice. I just cba with it. It's both a poo poo workplace and my heart really isn't in that career. It's is the end of my probation so I'm going to have to see how that drama pans out.
Honestly I was off for two weeks with the rona and even though I was so sick my brain felt healthier than it had in months. Should have probably quit earlier, just all the lockdown and quarantine has make it really scary to haha.

Just this morning was a loving eyeopener, I couldn't believe it- next time you're clapping for key workers remember my coworkers nails. RIP.

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ronya posted:

about a tenth of the UK watch EastEnders, GBBO, Britain's Got Talent, etc. each. It is a far cry from the 1980s when over half of the country could tune in to major episodes, but it's still a lot.

I agree, it's the opposite of what you are envisioning - however it is I think in tune with what is actually happening and has been happening since the mid-1980s: that slow-motion campaign to convert the BBC to a subscription service. I'm not saying "ha ha ha, you actually want this thing you don't want", I'm saying "this is already happening albeit via means you don't want". The hardest parts have already been carried out: BBC Worldwide (now Studios) has proven that it can market its content outside the UK. An institutional standard of marking the success of non-news productions to competitive export market standards is already in place. What remains is for the BBC to steadily open its remaining programming to public tender (where BBC Studios would merely be one out of many producers), which it is in fact already doing. The somewhat awkward current status is that BBC Studios is failing at this, in the opinion of the NAO, because it is unexpectedly unsuccessful at selling its content to non-BBC broadcasters and conversely too successful at winning tenders to BBC-owned IP it is currently already producing.

Teething troubles, no doubt.

That many watching eastenders now is quite a lot but does that mean millions have just stopped watching? I find it miserable garbage anyway but I wonder why people have just stopped watching something that normally people get addicted to

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's "as-live" TV. If you can tune a television to the same signal you need a license for it.

(If some clever dick mentions screen sharing I will post 5,000 words about the BT Tower in this thread, I swear to god)

...yes, but what about screen sharing?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's "as-live" TV. If you can tune a television to the same signal you need a license for it.

(If some clever dick mentions screen sharing I will post 5,000 words about the BT Tower in this thread, I swear to god)

Trin Tragula posted:

...yes, but what about screen sharing?

Don't threaten us with a good time, you tease.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

If you laid out those words end to end, would they be as tall as the BT tower?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How do you guys keep finding those blatantly evil persons? If I found someone like Frances Barbarian on Twitter, I would call the Ghostbusters to deal with this evil ghost impersonating a person

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So apparently the rules at present cover all "as live" TV from anywhere. If you have a satellite box that only gets Polsat you need a TV licence. If you pay to watch NHL live on Canadian PPV through a VPN you need a TV licence. If you're watching SABC News live on their website you need a TV licence.

So if my friend who is a musician livestreams a performance to an audience on Facebook Live, is that television?

It seems we're running into the same argument as in the Lord McAlpine child sex twitter libel case, where follower count matters.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Turns out it's only 3,000 words, so I'll have to put in a bunch more poo poo half-remembered from a talk 5 years ago.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Libluini posted:

How do you guys keep finding those blatantly evil persons? If I found someone like Frances Barbarian on Twitter, I would call the Ghostbusters to deal with this evil ghost impersonating a person
The Almighty Algorithm ensures that the most unfathomably horrific Twitter personas are the most signal-boosted and easiest to find

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

The Almighty Algorithm ensures that the most unfathomably horrific Twitter personas are the most signal-boosted and easiest to find

My Twitter is filled with space pics, news about nature, and occasionally something about music. Apparently I've been using Twitter the right way all along!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Absolutely zero clapping round here this evening! There's usually one and last week we had a few + fireworks going off over the field.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

People staying alert very quietly this Thursday evening round our way.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1261003135100780549?s=20

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There were definitely some pillocks banging pots and pans a few minutes ago, which I thought was just bad parenting.

First time I've heard a peep around here.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The BBC were actively encouraging the use of pots and pans in their preamble, it's just an alarm set for 8pm Thursday evening now.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

zentigeist posted:

Cheers for the support guys. Yea I'm quitting this week, I've told my coworkers I'm out today and had to email my manager my notice. I just cba with it. It's both a poo poo workplace and my heart really isn't in that career. It's is the end of my probation so I'm going to have to see how that drama pans out.
Honestly I was off for two weeks with the rona and even though I was so sick my brain felt healthier than it had in months. Should have probably quit earlier, just all the lockdown and quarantine has make it really scary to haha.

Just this morning was a loving eyeopener, I couldn't believe it- next time you're clapping for key workers remember my coworkers nails. RIP.

Nice one!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxoLqbFDkI

Some absurdly loud banging here this week but it seems to fizzing out

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cleaner chat:

I've not cleaned homes for a living but I have been a hotel / pub cleaner for my sins commonly known as "money too tight to mention" but I have many (female) friends who have (many highly qualified but contrary to government rhetoric, demand for people with STEM subject doctorates is not as high as they might lead you to believe.)

I was a cleaner for a couple of weeks once, cleaning the homes of affluent people in Altrincham. I had to get a bus an hour and a half to get there, then I was picked up in a van and driven from house to house. The houses themselves seemed ridiculously big, especially to have to clean everything. The Polish cleaners worked at least twice as fast as me and I was quite poo poo at the job. I was in the home of a tv chef and was the first time I had come across an Aga. It looked a wee bit dirty so I started cleaning it with this flannel but it immediately started to burn, I didn't know Aga's were on all the time. I'd left a big burn mark on it and the more I tried to clean it the worse it got. That was the last time I was a cleaner anyway.

zentigeist posted:

Nice one, bad enough going to work during this time anyway - good luck with next steps, hope you get a bit of time off to recuperate in between. Think this time is making a lot of people think about the work they give their time to, hope people get satisfaction.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Going back a couple of pages, Main Water chat:

You can get an automatic pump that will top up the incoming mains pressure to something like 1.6 bar - it's a simple inline install on the house side of the stopcock, but will need power run to it obviously.
I don't know how good they are, as British Gas didn't fit them when I was a boiler-mender there. They cost about £300 for the bits.
(This boosts the water pressure for everything, not just hot)

TV-License chat:
AFAIK, and I looked this up before letting mine lapse last year, you need a licence to:
Watch any live TV in the UK, doesn't matter if it's over the air, cable/satellite or a live stream of something that's also broadcast by a TV channel.
(So if channel-4 decide to broadcast a live eSport event from Korea, watching the Twitch version would be banned, watching France24 live is also not allowed etc)
Use the iPlayer.
Use streaming services to watch live TV-content over the internet.

What you can do:
Watch any non-iPlayer catch up service.
Watch streams of things not broadcast in the UK.
Use BBC Sounds either live radio or catch up.
Use the BBC web site.
Use subscription services like Netflix, Amazon-TV and NowTV (which don't include content that is also broadcast or live).

So if you use All4 to watch the news two hours late (the +1 channels also count) that's ok.
Watching streams that arn't TV-Services is also ok, so Twitch and Chaterbate should be fine.

The official and deliberately vague stuff is on the BBC website
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Renfield fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 14, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://twitter.com/l_a_dunn/status/1261003742620631042?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So if I watch illegal football streams without having a TV licence I'm breaking the law twice?

Unless I limit myself strictly to 3pm games on a Saturday.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the BBC ever try to tell me I need a license to wank at someone over the internet I then I shall rise up and overthrow the government.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

So if I watch illegal football streams without having a TV licence I'm breaking the law twice?

Unless I limit myself strictly to 3pm games on a Saturday.

i'll soon be officially supporting my local team by watching illegal streams

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

HJB posted:

The BBC were actively encouraging the use of pots and pans in their preamble, it's just an alarm set for 8pm Thursday evening now.

You could also use your penis cleaning bucket:
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/1875847-Do-you-dunk-your-penis

One of the funniest things I've ever read.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Beaker? Whats the curtain then for?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1261021531313975297
we love to see it, yes we do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AfterTheApplause

A positive hashtag for once.

Shame about GMB

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Hi chums, asking for a bit of vague legal advice from the internet.

I got a new car insurance policy a few months ago. They asked for proof of no claims, i was moving house at the time and hosed up and didn't send it, sot hey cancelled the policy.

Got a new policy with a different company. They wanted some paperwork. Initially they wanted a photocopy of my driver's license, which I sent, and then another item which could be:

• utility bill
  • tennancy agreement
  • council tax bill
  • pay slip
  • some other stuff idk

I sent them a pay slip, and they said "we can't accept this, it doesn't have your address on it" despite that not being a requisite at the time. I've now sent a tenancy agreement and they've said I have a week to supply a utility bill or they'll cancel the policy and charge a cancellation fee. My gut non-legally trained opinion is that this sounds dubious, and I think if it went to small claims they'd have a hard time rationalising why they kept rejecting items that were on their initial list. Anyone got any advice or experience (beyond "don't ask the loving UKMT for legal advice you goon")?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best that you can do is act like Theresa May expected the Windrush Generation to act (which was also totally unreasonable) and build a paper trail of "hey, here's my tenancy agreement for me at my old house, here's a utility bill at my old house, here's the new tenancy agreement, thus proving I'm at my new house."

Then put on your best Karen haircut and ask to speak to a manager.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's an impressively poo poo take.

Woah-oh Thangam Debonnaire posted:

“If we had that policy and a lot of private landlords went bust, I know there are lots of people including lots of Labour members who’d go ‘yippee, that’s fine, they’re evil, exploitative people’.

Which may well be true. But if they go bust, their tenants would be homeless.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 14, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

winegums posted:

Hi chums, asking for a bit of vague legal advice from the internet.

I got a new car insurance policy a few months ago. They asked for proof of no claims, i was moving house at the time and hosed up and didn't send it, sot hey cancelled the policy.

Got a new policy with a different company. They wanted some paperwork. Initially they wanted a photocopy of my driver's license, which I sent, and then another item which could be:

• utility bill
  • tennancy agreement
  • council tax bill
  • pay slip
  • some other stuff idk

I sent them a pay slip, and they said "we can't accept this, it doesn't have your address on it" despite that not being a requisite at the time. I've now sent a tenancy agreement and they've said I have a week to supply a utility bill or they'll cancel the policy and charge a cancellation fee. My gut non-legally trained opinion is that this sounds dubious, and I think if it went to small claims they'd have a hard time rationalising why they kept rejecting items that were on their initial list. Anyone got any advice or experience (beyond "don't ask the loving UKMT for legal advice you goon")?

Car insurance companies shouldn't need anything except the details of the car to be insured AFAIK, and they don't even need proof of ownership of it.

This sounds like some bullshit.

I literally bought car insurance the day of the lockdown starting, from Admiral I think, online with no checks, and all they needed was the numberplate, before even owning the car.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Car insurance companies shouldn't need anything except the details of the car to be insured AFAIK, and they don't even need proof of ownership of it.

This sounds like some bullshit.

I literally bought car insurance the day of the lockdown starting, from Admiral I think, online with no checks, and all they needed was the numberplate, before even owning the car.

I think the fact that I had a policy cancelled has meant they're more antsy. I've done the same as you previously

Guavanaut posted:

The best that you can do is act like Theresa May expected the Windrush Generation to act (which was also totally unreasonable) and build a paper trail of "hey, here's my tenancy agreement for me at my old house, here's a utility bill at my old house, here's the new tenancy agreement, thus proving I'm at my new house."

Then put on your best Karen haircut and ask to speak to a manager.

I'm going to start getting Kareney with them when I call tomorrow. I don't think they know who I am.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

I don't think they know who I am.
Obviously not with the amount of ID reference they're demanding :dadjoke:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HJB posted:

I got a loving push notification from the Channel 4 app at 7:50pm.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Aggressively disable all push notifications IMO

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/arb/status/1260613289769222144?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

"Oh sure, I might even agree with you that landlords are bad and evil but I'm too loving lazy to even consider the possibility that there is an alternative to that."

We're just re-running the Ed Miliband leadership except we've not gone from Gordon Brown to Ed, we've gone from the best PM we never had.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

"Well yes, but have you considered that some people [gasps theatrically] can pay their rent?"

Yeah, and some billionaires give sizeable amounts of money to charity, but I'd still gladly hang the lot of them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's weird seeing Charlie Brooker happy and spending time with his family.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Best do whatever you can to make people expect better than starmer then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alliehbnews/status/1261038695840391170?s=21

Jeeesus