Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i was worried that this coronavirus thing was going to continue to cause suffering of some kind but i've looked at facebook and The Facebook Team have added a special new hug reaction emoji thing so I guess that's it that's the virus over now thank you facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

somehow there's nothing that demolishes any last trace of belief that the uk is a great powerful nation with infinite capacity than the fact the cabinet is still using loving Zoom

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

oh hey there's a Labour in Scotland? how about that i'd forgotten for a minute there. they've got whatisname haven't they. the guy in the suit. whosits. willie rennie. wait no that's not right. imagine they probably have some policies or ideological positions or something. possibly. i dunno.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

think my neighbours are building up to one of those disputes where someone gets stabbed with a pair of hedge trimmers

The Balcony Wars are apparently hotting up in my friend's flat, here's the story she told me: she was having a phone call out on the balcony when the neighbour started playing loud music when she was talking, speakers right at her, turning off when she stopped talking, for like fifteen minutes or so. on eventually confronting this woman to ask if she had a problem the response was first a "are you talking to me?" and then a "of course I don't want to hear you talking for hours". on being asked why she did not just use her words to communicate this issue, the response was apparently, how can I talk to you when you've put this barrier between us, referring to the planter on the edge of the balcony. this country really needs to figure out a way of dealing with disagreements other than the usual methods of mild tutting and passive aggression

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"TERF" is an interesting one because while a relatively small proportion of internet transphobes are actual radical feminists whose hatred of trans people is intertwined with their radical feminism, there are a whole lot more who are influenced by/inspired by/just plain parroting radical feminist justifications for their transphobia. Like, Wings Over Scotland is not in any way a radical feminist but he's still using the same arguments as to why being disgusted by trans people is actually a way of caring about women. I dunno, maybe it would be more accurate to call them like, terflikes or post-terfs or terfs-pop or terfvanias or whatever.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

The number of tests has gone back down, but the target was for the end of April, not the start of May, suckers!

The government's own chart shows the number of tests back down to 76000

is this still the number of tests going out rather than number of tests actually done?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

just going to leave this here from the political cartoons thread

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Well at least the multi-part documentary series looking at tge uk response to the coronavirus is going to be riveting stuff

Riveting for those of us still alive to watch it, that is

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some utter oval office that I work with has pitched "if this app works the police should be out doing spot checks and fining people who haven't got it installed, and shops should be checking at the door and refusing to let people in if they don't have it"

What the gently caress is wrong with people

Ok buy me a smartphone

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

boris johnson is saint of country. by going around porking all the women he is giving them all babies. babies are what are needed to get will to survive. safe from coronavirus. babies for everyone. we will all be saved

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

I can see the broadcasters having some fun with that 7 point plan: "So, Mr opposition spokesperson, could you remind us what point 4 is again? What, can't you remember?"

Don't be silly. The adults are in the room now. They're far too sensible and competent, and know all the secrets of managing media coverage. What will happen is they'll spend so much time drilling the order and colours of their very important list that they'll not notice when footage is released of Michael Gove literally running around nursing homes shooting people

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I wonder if part of it is that having the entire internet making the obvious kneejerk snark to every political situation in real time makes it obvious how trite a lot of political humour is. Like, when your only access to a group of dickhead jokesters competing to come up with the best cynical quip to make was for half an hour each week the novelty didn't wear off as quickly.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

crispix posted:

It's 10 years ago today the 2010 election was held, so enjoy the nostalgia of propaganda about getting feckless scroungers back to work I guess :geno:

This can't be true. I started reading this thread during the 2010 election, so that would mean I've spent ten entire years of my youthful teens and twenties reading and getting gradually radicalised by a bunch of depressed lefties getting mad about the tories as they take over everything and- oh god what have i done

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/novaramedia/status/1257950827983093763

The replies point to the recording, it's 1:45-1:48 here if you want to listen for yourself. Other replies are saying it's okay actually because they mentioned the headline once at 6am, nothing to see here

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

wings over scotland's second (and third) accounts have been suspended from twitter, so some good news today. i hope he still starts up his political party to contest the 2021 holyrood elections, and runs it from his residence in not-scotland. might get more votes than RISE at least i guess

shame graham linehan is still able to accuse university lecturers in queer studies of grooming kids for some reason. brilliant website

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

maybe i shouldn't have put off my weekly shop to a bank holiday with high temperatures just after the government has released confusing mixed messages about relaxing the lockdown. this should be fun

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Paul Thomas in The Paper That Supported Hitler right on cue...

will someone tell those kids to get further apart

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Stay Vaguely Aware Of Your Surroundings, Do Some Stuff, Have Some Stuff Happen

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

If this article was about a country i knew very little about I'd suspect the author had an agenda and was making an unfair hatchet job but... no, none of this article is remotely false

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

It can be revealed that the Conservative frontbench has split into two warring factions. The traditionalist faction, led by a painting of Winston Churchill that began speaking in eldrich tongues one day in 1982, believes the coronavirus is caused by demons stealing pieces of human lungs to use in their occult rituals to turn children gay, and recommends a gradual program replacing all lungs by wooden bellows by 2034. The other, led by a neural net trained on bitcoin subreddits, takes the more moderate view that it is in fact caused by rats that have been shrivelled up by 3G mobile masts to the point where they can enter the bloodstream and start nibbling at one's insides, causing all kinds of mischief. They recommend diverting funds that would normally go to children's hospitals into replacing telephones with a network of ethernet sockets every 20 metres on all public roads. This paper takes the view that, while both sides have their flaws and should be subjected to respectful scrutiny, in these troubled time the Prime Minister needs the nation's support in whichever course of action he ultimately chooses to take - and we will gladly give it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Science tends to change rapidly when you actually come down with the disease you've been shrugging off. Notice how many of the Tory 'doves' caught the bug.

Turns out Nadine Dorries did in fact save us all

Edit: The number 47 makes frequent recurrences in dialogues and on computer screens in Star Trek. For the year 47, please see 1st century.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 10, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

flawless comms strategy

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1259446479183392768

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Yeah but she's not calling boris a ballbag or a nonce so it's not going far enough, she's not telling the entirety of the truth of the matter about this man

just get Janey Godley to do the next briefing

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

Announcements need one clear message to be the takeaway and they’ve already got all this relaxing / not relaxing social distancing to cover.

i think you'll find they've already covered that one with their very helpful new slogan

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

Could someone explain how I should be acting when we're at a 4.1 compared to a 3.9? Should I tut if I see my neighbours in their front garden instead of their back?

finally my teenage years reading pitchfork have brought about some benefit. 4.1 equates to 8.2 on a 0-10 scale, meaning the virus is about as powerful as Maddona's debut or a Pixies live album. 3.9 maps onto roughly the last Charli XCX album or the point where I stopped liking Do Make Say Think. I think the real time to panic is when it gets to the point when the virus would, if an album, reach the lauded point of Best New Music at about a 4.25 on the coronavirus scale. The virus at that point is all killer, no filler, and may do very interesting things with dubstep rhythms. Roughly we should adjust policy and social behaviour with a view to getting the virus to be about as affective as say, Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz for at least a two-month period. I believe that should answer all your questions.

e: 5.1 will be the point we reach on the alertness scale at around August probably

Angepain fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 10, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

It is insane that he just said 'be out the door headed to work literally 12 hours from now lol' with absolutely no other guidance available.

don't forget the message was prerecorded! hours in advance! just needed to wait on it a bit so people could get even less notice

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

This chart is irrationally annoying to me. Don't make a simple 5 stage chart and then not use the actual stages! Have it be Orange level 4 or Yellow level 3, don't be like 'yo we made this discreetly delineated graph but it's really more how you feel y'know, I'd say we're at Apricot Honey level 3.6 or maybe it's more Amber 3.5, oh man I love Pink floyd pass the blunt"

i love the small pointer giving the appearance of precision. does 3 start at the bottom? is it at the center? the top? is the whole square 3? what exactly does (3.5/5)*(Covid not present) + (1.5/5)*(risk of overwhelming NHS) equal, anyway?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Thing expensive, cut thing by 20%, save money. Bish bosh I am the man running the treasury.

how about we add a new grant for coronaviruses that promise not to infect people as much. we may have to burn down some schools to pay for that but i hear you can easily do it all on computers these days

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

latest statistics, please adjust your alertness according to the reference scale

https://twitter.com/amateuradam/status/1259605005671239680

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

just go around trying to sneak up on people and shouting 'boo'. if they jump, that's signs of a lack of being alert and you know how to fix that! jail

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

we can't figure out what the deal is exactly and we're all hopeless politics nerds, what goddamn hope do normal human beings with stuff to think about have

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's poor journalism but if they're gonna get something wrong, at least they're putting out a safer message than the PM

it does have the side effect that when zillions of workers go to unsafe workplaces due to unclear messaging it will seem like their fault rather than Boris', as if you remember that headline you saw in the papers he specifically said to only work if it's safe, silly plebs

i'd imagine that would just be an unintended side effect of everyone involved being incompetent rather than a specific scheme on anyone's part but it's still an element of the general clusterfuck

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

today's depressing reading is this incredibly long twitter thread of independent venues who are doing crowdfunders to stay afloat and haven't reached their goal yet

https://twitter.com/diyartpunk/status/1259478429059211265

the number of these that are ending in a few hours and still have several hundred or thousand pounds to make is utterly soul destroying

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

I'm anxious the SNP won't capitalise properly on this massive open goal.

not that this isn't an important thing to think about at some point, but given there's probably not going to be even a start in the process for an independence referendum for a good year or so I feel it's probably a good idea for them to wait until after people stop dying at the rate of hundreds a week to do this

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and access to their Nearest Beach

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Ahh yes, "The Blob", aka "People Who Disagree With Me, Who I See As An Unfeeling Gelatinous Mass Coming In Through My Windows At Night". this is a very healthy way for the government to think about its opposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

BTW out of morbid curiosity I had a look at Wings Over Scotland to see how old Stu is finding Twitter jail and holy poo poo that site is so much worse than even I was expecting, and I was expecting bad.

it did at least bring my attention to this, objectively a Great Tweet on scottish politics. strange Wings posted it on his Constant Normal One Blog as if it was self-evidently bad. it's almost as if there's something... about this person... he is uncomfortable with....

https://twitter.com/YesWithDex/status/1259190483961745409

Niric posted:

It's Tuesday afternoon, it's lockdown, our bosses can't see us skivving, so are you all ready to learn some motherfucking poo poo about goddamn eighteenth-century literature and its relationship to popular culture through history Yeah you are.

So it's a bit like if in a hundred years everyone thinks Boris Johnson said "Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make" after all the memes of it