Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lansman's pick wasn't blocked because of the appearance of impartiality, it was straight-up partiality. A Jewish Starmer supporter put forward by Lansman is about as balanced as it gets, whereas a non-Jewish left-hating Starmer supporter is, uh, not. Luckily nobody will care outside of the left though, because it's the left getting screwed.

I thought we still (barely) controlled the NEC though? How are we letting this obvious stitch-up happen?

Flipswitch posted:

I think Britain's hosed boys and girls, we should just call it all off
Nonce Island turning out more literal than I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Party Boat posted:

Boris offspring count
Nah, number 6 is confirmed, it's 7 that's controversial. Also gently caress knows how many others, worra shagger amirite.

JRM was probably just doing his thing of saying something innocuous sounding that he knew would get him in the papers (a la floxinoxinihilipilification), it's been a while

e: my bad, misread, I thought it was JRM making the remark. Theyre still a pair of cunts tho

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 1, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Testing target (reportedly) met.

Taking bets for exactly how they've fiddled the numbers.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Beyond silliness. Is it parody or real?
Let he who is without holocaust denial cast the first stone

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ I thought it was "do what I say I did" (i.e., walk 80 miles in shoes made of nails to work 30 hours every day before personally fighting hitler on the beaches)

Barry Foster posted:

tbh I don't trust Rayner either
Does sorta look like she must have played a role in last week's stitch up (re the leak cover up investigation)

idk what game she's playing, it looks very bad for the left atm so I think she might be going turncoat

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 4, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

justcola posted:

It's not bad fried in a bit of butter, salt and pepper.
I made exactly this yesterday but with some pine nuts & parmesan. Honestly I was disappointed, wished I'd just gone with spinach.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

baka kaba posted:

PROTECT ARE NHS

no that's too much protection
Protect the NHS, by dying in your home or place of business instead. Because as long as there are beds free, we can get right back to slashing and burning again afterwards.

that's my :tinfoil: thanks for listening

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

winegums posted:

This Gove bookshelf stuff really bummed me out. I'm under no illusions as to how the media machine conspired with inside sources at Labour to make the AS thing a "thing", but it's just really frustrating how cynically it all plays out. Literally nobody important argued this in good faith so when Gove's bookcase was seen, the same people who were screaming about Corbyn's anti-semitic eyebrow movements were silent about Gove's reading habits.
Part of me thinks this was a power play just to ram this point home to us

Bobstar posted:

Keir Starmer spends the entire PMQs demanding to know whether the Tories have "done the green one yet", much to everyone's bafflement.

The Guardian declare him the winner of PMQs.
I only watched his first PMQs, is he still doing the thing of just smiling and nodding along whilst whichever minister lies through their teeth?

Pissed me right off tbh, his general approach to questioning was p much identical to Jez, except that he then just sorta goes along with it & moves on when the Govt give him an open goal. & Raab is impressively poo poo at PMQs too, worse than May even. Johnson is gonna eat him alive.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

XMNN posted:

lol is this like the brexit tests again

what is the point
It's the exact opposite of the Brexit tests

It's an excuse to support whatever the government does

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

GazChap posted:

Points 1 and 3 on that graphic are basically the same thing (1 implies 3)
Not if you don't regard workers as people :colbert:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

BBC News at 10 headline: "Italy used to have the most deaths in Europe, but Health Secretary Dominic Raab says that international comparisons are not helpful"

They added in the missing piece in the actual story but uuuhhhh that was a pretty glaring omission

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Do not, my friends, become addicted to wages. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 6, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Whereas the "prof lockdown" story, which also broke 12 hours earlier and was not an exclusive, was very important to report upon, because

Also, I saw the beeb coverage when the kill count was breaking:-

Borrovan posted:

BBC News at 10 headline: "Italy used to have the most deaths in Europe, but Health Secretary Dominic Raab says that international comparisons are not helpful"

They added in the missing piece in the actual story but uuuhhhh that was a pretty glaring omission

e: vvvv don't they hate trans people and basic rigour? (e2: the Morning Star, that is, I haven't read the Covid Times)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 6, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Cerv posted:

and as this morning’s FT interview reminded us, while Starmer was Director of CPS he used to eat in the staff canteen with the the grunts.
it shouldn’t be a surprise that the successful politicians tend to follow these same patterns of behaviour. whether it’s putting on an act or genuine.
A barrister I work with was saying about meeting Starmer at some dinner. He was a huge fan of his, loved his books & admired his work, but apparently he just came across as rude, arrogant and self important. My colleague commented to one of the other barristers afterwards that he must have been having an off day, but other barrister said no, he's always like that, he's just a oval office.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

If the police are members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence, as they supposedly are,
They aren't though. They're only considered so these days in the context of justifying police discretion: it's not possible for them to literally prosecute every crime they see, so they have to have some discretion in order to justify not doing that, and the justification for giving them discretion is that they're just members of the public & not justice-dispensing automatons. In most other contexts, they totally are treated as being special.

It's a totally inconsistent theory, but the principle of policing by consent pre-existed special treatment for cops so my understanding is that it basically survived solely as the basis for that one thing because it was easier than coming up with a new rationale. It doesn't follow that they should be held to a higher standard, because the whole (contextual) rationale for preserving the idea is that they should not be held to a higher standard, to allow them the same discretion as everybody else. Otherwise we'd have to, like, hold them to account or something.

(apologies for the wooly explanation btw, my source for this is one half-remembered conversation over a boozy lunch with an anarchist human rights lawyer colleague of mine, who as you can imagine has some opinions on the subject)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

I can see how they'd try to wrangle that out of "the police are just the public" along with the idea that they're not responsible for any specific person's safety but only 'the public order', but the "paid to give full-time attention to duties" bit implies different.

If a person is paid to do something full time that would otherwise fall on everyone to voluntarily do part time, whether that's collecting trash or cleaning streets or pollarding trees, it's generally reasonable to hold them to a higher standard of work, or at least have a formal system where people can tell them they're doing a poo poo job.

And if they aren't just the public and are a fully professionalized service with special privileges, then that's also a case for holding them to a higher standard either way.
No arguments here, it's a bullshit theory & everybody knows it (one of those "useful fictions" lawyers like banging on about). It's just that they're only treated as being ordinary citizens where the consequences of not doing so would be to hold them to a higher standard (like expecting them to enforce hate speech legislation against fash). They're only treated as special where it lets them be held to a lower standard (like what counts as reasonable force).

Personally I've always been a big fan of the "incumbent on every citizen" bit, because it theoretically means that if you & a few dozen comrades happen to come across some dickhead with a Starmer haircut & loudspeaker inciting racial hatred up on a podium, it becomes incumbent upon you to use reasonable force to stop them.

In theory. Plod might disagree.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Oh dear me posted:

No, it's never happened before, I doubt many people were even aware of the date.
7th May!

We only celebrate it on the 8th because Stalin asked us to :laugh:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

gh0stpinballa posted:

ronya should people have to pay back their landlords on top of their standard rent over 2 years yes or no
imo Starmer's weak-rear end position is actually an achievable compromise, which is probably why the sensible big-brained grown-ups are pushing for it

Because they're loving idiots whose ideological commitment to compromise completely misses what compromise is. They're starting right off the bat with a piss weak compromise position, from which they will then compromise repeatedly until they agree to let every landlord get all of their rent immediately and also punch us all in the crotch.

Thing is though, Starmer's a loving lawyer, he loving knows that's how negotiation works. The big brainers will all lap up how reasonable and compromised it is, and get to feel like they supported a thing whilst actually implementing Tory policy. But, from Starmer's perspective, it serves its purpose: sucking up to all the petite bouge BTL crowd & letting all the rich feel good about how they're doing their part whilst actually doing nothing.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sure hope none of the people Boris just sent back to work need any health & safety guidance for the next 6 hours

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah but he's not homeless, his address just isn't fixed :smug:

I went to a bank one time many years ago to tell them that my address had changed as I was NFA. The cashier asked for some proof of address, then got shirty with me for asking if she was loving joking. Eventually got it solved by having a good cry at the manager, but seriously most people are just completely unable to comprehend the basic concept of homelessness, despite notionally being very familiar with it. I think the human brain is just very adept at blocking out stuff that sits outside of a person's experience and would force them to confront ugly realities about the world.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah the end result was just a c/o address, just had to get to a manager to get that far, because the cashier was actually telling me with a straight face that she'd need a utility bill or the like addressed to "NFA" to make the change, the whole concept was just beyond her

Guessing something similar has happened here, like some prosecutor just can't compute that "homeless" actually means not having a home

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

If I remember right the IWW have a computer touches branch, sure we have a couple of thread regulars who are in it who may be able to give more explicit advice
Nah that's IWGB

Darth Walrus posted:

'A senior government source briefed the Times' that people were 'addicted' to the scheme. My bet is Gove.
My bet is Sunak

The first clue was that he specifically denied saying it

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tesseraction posted:

Gonna start a myth that Brenda is trans.
It's been done.

(The "real" Bess supposedly died in a house that's now a pub & used to be my local)

e: in 1564, Elizabeth I had allegedly been dead for 30-something years

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 12, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Drone_Fragger posted:

You don’t have an “official” name in the uk it’s whatever people call you by.
c-word?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

thespaceinvader posted:

that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, does it?

Like, an abusive organisation has said it is investigating the abuse, and that's enough?
The Conservative Party will be conducting an independent investigation into the Conservative Party.

Like Labour's independent investigation into the traitor leaks.

wtf do words even mean

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't think it's fraud as you're not trying to pretend you're someone else? IANAL ofc.
Idk poo poo about this but I had a bit of a benny at some City lawyer oval office about this a while back because I didn't want him deadnaming somebody in a settlement deed & he eventually agreed that yeah this is true

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Filboid Studge posted:

If there’s a push for renewed austerity measures, there has to be a counter-push for a general strike. You can’t austerity your way out of a recession, we have always known that. These pricks have only got one button to push and they know they’re lying about what it does.
Shafting the nurses with a 2 year pay freeze has definitely got the capacity to backfire spectacularly

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol shut the gently caress up
Quick, someone explain the joke again

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

LET OUR CHILDREN BE HEROES

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Lord Sumption on BBC News around 4pm saying the Government has no purpose to extend the lockdown other than fear of negative public response. Says Government response has only scared people more when the virus is not as bad as they have been led to believe. Fit and healthy people should be allowed to live their lives, you cannot live without risk. People should be able to take decision about their health and bodies without government intervention. In a sense this fellow advocated for legalisation of all drugs and assisted suicide. (maybe he isn't so bad???)
This pissed me off so much.

Lord Sumption is a judge whose whole gimmick is non-interventionalism in every scenario. He is not representative of views among the senior judiciary, he can make some very interesting academic arguments but bringing his views up in non-legal circles is the equivalent of citing that one economist who thinks Brexit is a good idea instead of literally all the other economists who disagree.

Except that at least he loving knows stuff about law, even if he's fairly consistently wrong on any matter of principle (not just me saying this, it's widely agreed, the other senior judges poke fun at it all the time). Why the gently caress have they got him talking about epidemiology - unless, perhaps, they just want some famous "intellectual" toff to say that all the povs should go back to work, and he's flagrantly obviously going to oppose any kind of intervention since that's literally his whole thing? Which would also explain why they weren't challenging him on anything.

He wasn't even being honest anyway, he might be a dick but he's clever enough to know that "don't punish everyone for a few irresponsible people flouting common sense" and "I would go to the pub or theatre without hesitation" are not consistent positions. He was just shilling for the loving Tories, and of loving course the BBC just uncritically platformed him as an expert despite the clear absence of any actual expertise.

/rant

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

This guy? Looks like he's pretty much one of those rich fellers who get a swanky title for very occasionally turning up to the House of Lords. I do not trust. e: my bad, it's this guy, he's a tank-thinker who's never done anything much of note except for organising the 2001 GE campaign, so I'm guessing he's a full-blooded Blairite yes-man?

e: in 1993, Blair helped put an end to the Trade Union block vote for Parliamentary candidature selection

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 19, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

Read comments 2 die instantly
Didn't work, don't get our hopes up

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Josef bugman posted:

However, I do not know that. Alongside that, who actually votes for the General Secretary?
NEC, I think - which I thought the left still had bare control of, but given that they approved the cover up committee for the leaked stitch-up, the calculus might have changed

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The gently caress is Farage doing among senior political figures

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Beds and benches, things which are a fixed distance in all possible orientations. A helpful unit of measurement.
3301527.46 wavelengths in a vacuum of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the 2p10 and 5d5 quantum levels of the krypton-86 atom

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

£52.85 plus the ordinary rent on the other accommodation that you still need to keep for afterwards is, in fact, £52.85 more expensive than the private sector

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

We have been asked to accept a 10% pay cut today which will last a year (providing that the economy recovers!!?) and that about 12% of staff will be made redundant.
Well that loving sucks. They might not be able to force this, depending on the terms of your contract, but possibly not the best idea to push it whilst they're still deciding who the 12% are - have you got a Union? Or, do you reckon you could organise your colleagues if sufficiently supported?

Bobstar posted:

strip Russian roulette
dude keep your necrophilic tendencies to yourself

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

£50 to the solidarity fund says this just gets memory holed & Dom carries on as normal

XMNN posted:

if this is within the guidelines, then they have done an absolutely shocking job of explaining them
It isn't, "do not leave your house for any reason" is fairly unambiguous

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReicherStephen/status/1264606173212409857
(^short thread)

https://mobile.twitter.com/robertjwest/status/1264618752848642048

e: Laura K retweeted the last one :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU