Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Daily reminder that it started because he lost a ball and developed a pathology about emasculation

Actually it's because he made a transphobic joke and kept doubling down, but his balls didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LMAO, to absolutely no-one's surprise the farmers are getting completely tossed under the bus so the UK can do a trade deal with the US. They're slipping out the new farm bill while everyone's looking at corona:

quote:

The U.K. Agriculture Bill returns to the House of Commons today, but farmers are worried their trade demands are being ignored. The National Farmers’ Union has urged the government to legislate for protection against animal product imports made to lower standards than in the U.K., for fear their market could be undercut. But the government has refused, despite promising not to allow low-standard imports as part of future trade deals, and has still not set up a promised standards commission on trade.

“It leads you to feel that actually they are not being true to their word,” NFU President Minette Batters told Morning Agri. She said she felt the Agriculture Bill was being rushed through without adequate protections so Britain could move forward with U.S. trade negotiations as quickly as possible. “The fact that we have no information, not even one side of A4, about what our offer is, leads you to be very concerned about the approach of the Department for International Trade.”

The NFU is also worried that when the bill reaches the House of Lords, it could miss out on scrutiny because peers do not have a remote voting system yet. It means votes could take place with just the few Lords who attend the chamber (most of them are shielding from the coronavirus due to their age) or the bill could be put on hold. The NFU prefers the latter option. “If the House of Lords cannot scrutinize it, we will be asking very robustly that this bill is paused,” Batters said.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Actually it's because he made a transphobic joke and kept doubling down, but his balls didn't help.

I'm maybe misremembering, but wasn't it also initially brought with him in a very gentle way (something like "this joke in father Ted hasn't aged well") and instead of acknowledging it, or even saying saying non committal, he took this as some huge insult to his genius brain?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zentigeist posted:

Does Glinner actually self appoint himself king of the feminists?
Patriarch of the feminists. :catholic:

Gonzo McFee posted:

but his balls didn't help.
This is often the case.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weird that he's so transphobic given the powerful "I want to be one of the girls" energy coming off that tweet.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Niric posted:

I'm maybe misremembering, but wasn't it also initially brought with him in a very gentle way (something like "this joke in father Ted hasn't aged well") and instead of acknowledging it, or even saying saying non committal, he took this as some huge insult to his genius brain?

Yeah if I remember right he was palling around with a few liberal trans women who got big during gamergate and then lost it when some of them said "Hey that one IT Crowd episode sucks". There's also some intensely creepy poo poo where he became super loving angry that a trans woman whose DMs he'd been in turned out to not be attractive to him.

Don't really think any of these Suddenly caused a heel turn as such, my experience with Burned Allies is there's usually like longterm weird resentment and bad vibes until they snap. Similarly: Ian Miles Cheong. He used to be like an overloud ally but he completely flipped a poo poo when he finally had enough of women saying such cruel terrible things as "The sex cards in The Witcher are a bit cringey"

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It might not be. I found experian seems to lag by a month-6 weeks.
But yeah, it might be them. But normally they'd just jack up your direct debit.
Which energy company is it btw? I'm thinking of changing when my current 'deal' runs out (as I am being royally ripped off by SSE/Swalec) - so which to avoid.

Been meaning to shill my energy supplier in this thread.

https://peoplesenergy.co.uk/

It's a member owned cooperative, and while the prices may not be the best (I'm one of those people who CBA checking the prices every year) they're pretty good, the electricity and some of the gas are from renewable sources, and they haven't tried any shady stuff in the last 3 years.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1260465038881685505

Mysteriously the Government's Jump in the pool but don't get wet directive got people wet

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

If there’s a push for renewed austerity measures, there has to be a counter-push for a general strike. You can’t austerity your way out of a recession, we have always known that. These pricks have only got one button to push and they know they’re lying about what it does.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1260482503275667456

I loving hate Little Shite Dudley

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
i vaguely remember another one of Gralam Inner's things at one point being something like "everyone gets gender dysphoria" (implied, "so why are trans people complaining"). he's a mess of intersecting issues

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think we're going to start seeing a subtle undermining of the key/essential workers picking up speed over the next few months to 'put them back in their place' after all this 'hero' stuff.
I noticed from that graph someone posted earlier of public approval that there's been a slight drop in NHS approval.

"Never let a serious crisis go to waste" is a neoliberal mantra, and they're going to use any drop in NHS approval to both try to undercut NHS workers and ram home as many ~reforms~ as they possibly can while people can't do anything. I'd also expect to see a lot of stuff about NHS "mismanagement" coming out in the papers as a way to push public perceptions (along with trying to hide Conservative culpability) - out-of-date PPE etc. Same in other areas of society, especially with Brexit coming up at the end of the year; a chain of crises could be a great opportunity for ~reform~ on scale

There's a pretty good episode of Politics Theory Other with grumpy economic historian Philip Mirowski on this:
https://soundcloud.com/poltheoryother/85-never-let-a-serious-crisis-go-to-waste-w-philip-mirowski

Incidentally, might be an idea to put this podcast in the OP, it's the official podcast of Tribune magazine and they've had a lot of interesting guests

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Gonzo McFee posted:

Mysteriously the Government's Jump in the pool but don't get wet directive got people wet

When I see stuff like this it reminds me of the show Chernobyl where people are sticking their heads over the chimney or kicking radioactive rocks about in sandals. When I was watching it I was like 'hurr, thatd never happen nowadays' - I'm now convinced if that happened in this country people would be using the nuclear core as a BBQ and saying the levels of radiation are just the same as what aeroplane cabin crew experience in a year and actually it's good for you.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Filboid Studge posted:

If there’s a push for renewed austerity measures, there has to be a counter-push for a general strike. You can’t austerity your way out of a recession, we have always known that. These pricks have only got one button to push and they know they’re lying about what it does.
Shafting the nurses with a 2 year pay freeze has definitely got the capacity to backfire spectacularly

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just take some personal responsibility, stay alert and use your British common sense to not breathe in every virus particle on the bus, idiots. Does Boris have to hold your hand through everything? :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/Insurance_Rich/status/1259500576582381573?s=20

https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1260176536830869505?s=20

https://twitter.com/Jayne_JustJayne/status/1260177263590625280?s=20

https://twitter.com/Angelcynn_937/status/1260183946840735746?s=20

https://twitter.com/jackie_osbourn/status/1260226187776995330?s=20

I hope these people don't catch the coronavirus, but only because they'd absolutely manage to give it to someone else who didn't deserve it

e: just noticed that last one is a good example of the people who've spent the last several weeks moralising at everyone about staying home and staying safe, have suddenly switched to mocking anyone who thinks that's a good idea still, but haven't yet updated their names/pictures to moralise at us about staying alert because they're idiots

XMNN fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 13, 2020

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/HSJEditor/status/1260469435183357954?s=20

Thank goodness we have all those tests.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Massive irretrievable data loss!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

‘Gone missing’.

I do take issue with ‘never waste a good crisis’ being a purely neoliberal mantra, there are colleagues of mine using it to push for just transition/broadly eco-Marxist outcomes. That said we are using natural capital etc to do it, because it’s the only way to communicate with neolibs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

When I see stuff like this it reminds me of the show Chernobyl where people are sticking their heads over the chimney or kicking radioactive rocks about in sandals. When I was watching it I was like 'hurr, thatd never happen nowadays' - I'm now convinced if that happened in this country people would be using the nuclear core as a BBQ and saying the levels of radiation are just the same as what aeroplane cabin crew experience in a year and actually it's good for you.
The funny thing is that even the worst nuclear fuckup in history was still safer than the alternatives of the time. 30-50 deaths from immediate blast trauma and acute radiation syndrome, 60 confirmed cancers in total in the decades after, and a continuing downsized estimate of overall reduced lives of about 4-10,000. Most of the studies (International Journal of Cancer, Health Physics) show no increased cancer mortality 20 years on, but an increase in rare cancers (like brain and pineal), possibly just from increased screening compared to gen. pop, and definite increases in cirrhosis and hepatitis, possibly from people telling them for 20 years that they were definitely going to die young of terrible cancers :poland:

If instead of the VI Lenin NPP they'd built an equivalently sized coal power plant using 1970s technology, the number of dead through industrial accidents would be almost 5x higher over the life of the plant (and that's assuming Western coal industrial accident rates), and the number of reduced life months in the surrounding area 20-50% higher outside of the 10% worst exclusion zones if it were kept running.

Which isn't to say that the whole thing wasn't a huge loving disaster, it's that the world's worst civil nuclear disaster is still safer than coal running properly.

*looks at u Germany*

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Filboid Studge posted:

I do take issue with ‘never waste a good crisis’ being a purely neoliberal mantra, there are colleagues of mine using it to push for just transition/broadly eco-Marxist outcomes. That said we are using natural capital etc to do it, because it’s the only way to communicate with neolibs
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the neoliberals nicked the idea from the left in the first place; if memory serves they've got a habit of doing that

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Everyone's using all these words like neolibs, far left, far right, centrist, and all are being used as insults. As far as I can tell no one wants to set out what they are in actual words. But what do I know? I'm just a drone with no real political opinion beyond, "They're all idiots out for themselves." Not like I could do much better. Part of me wants to ask about all this, but I don't even know where to begin, because it's not even clear what the words mean.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neoliberalism is broadly the dominant political ideology since reagan and thatcher, characterised basically by privatizing everything, holding down taxes for the rich, cutting funding for public programs, breaking unions, basically trying to ruin people's ability to conceive of the government as something that can be a positive role in their lives, that being explicitly the goal of the reagan administration (he's where the phrase "starve the beast" comes from.) And the reason for this is because that goal combined with the active transfer of all facets of life over to private interests is a two pronged approach designed to empower the wealthy and destroy the systems that could threaten them, i.e the government and labour power.

So yes, they're all idiots out for themselves, but if you think that's all politics could ever be, that's because the project has been extremely successful.

Before that you had more of what would probably be called "the postwar consensus" which was broadly the idea that hey, actually, we maybe kinda need a lot of government involvement and society should at least sort of work for the people that compose it because the alternative is dogshit and also we're loving knackered after this big war we just had and we need a bunch of central planning to make civlization function, and also there's all these demobbed guys we trained to fight in the second world war and if we don't give them jobs and houses they might decide to fight us.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 13, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Never forget that Thatcher died mad because she believed that her hyperindividualism and no-such-thing-as-society allowed people to express themselves as outside of conservative family norms once everything had collapsed.

It's a cycle of destruction and rebirth.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I just remembered McDonalds are opening some of their restaurants up today:

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsUK/status/1257595625757122560

Seems like Wednesday has been known in some circles as the Big Day for more than a week.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Everyone's using all these words like neolibs, far left, far right, centrist, and all are being used as insults. As far as I can tell no one wants to set out what they are in actual words. But what do I know? I'm just a drone with no real political opinion beyond, "They're all idiots out for themselves." Not like I could do much better. Part of me wants to ask about all this, but I don't even know where to begin, because it's not even clear what the words mean.

"They" are not "all idiots out for themselves". There are plenty of good politicians out there. By buying into that framework you are falling into a trap set by those who really are out for themselves: the rich and those who reinforce the system that supports them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HJB posted:

Seems like Wednesday has been known in some circles as the Big Day for more than a week.

Still mad I'm half a mile outside the Dalston branch delivery radius.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

I still can't figure out if that's anti-Northern prejudice by only opening them in the South or anti-Southern prejudice by opening them early in the South.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

My personal prediction is all this will lead to a massive second wave, where the government promptly panics and institutes a lockdown far stricter than the first.

Great.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

My personal prediction is all this will lead to a massive second wave, where the government promptly panics and institutes a lockdown far stricter than the first.

Great.

Or not. Now it's "personal responsibility" and "gotta keep the economy going!".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's some speculation that Assange has the 'rona now, being so unwell that even the extradition hearings cannot be conducted.

I imagine it would be rather convenient if he were to die from it, since the US case isn't exactly watertight (but then again Manning et al).

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Suddenly Scotland doesn't look so bad for extending its lockdahahahaha no wait the Tories are still going to wax lyrical about the lazy Scotch drinking their Irn Bru, eating their deep fried Mars bars, no matter what we do

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Venomous posted:

Suddenly Scotland doesn't look so bad for extending its lockdahahahaha no wait the Tories are still going to wax lyrical about the lazy Scotch drinking their Irn Bru, eating their deep fried Mars bars, no matter what we do

Wales and NI are sticking to lockdown too. It's not just an England/Scotland thing

Even Britain's hardest woman Arlene Foster has tacitly distanced herself from what Boris is doing :laugh:

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 13, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So the lockdown is just sort of ending anyway without us ever doing a proper one?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HJB posted:

More likely the government is following McDonalds lead, as they did before.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Comrade Fakename posted:

"They" are not "all idiots out for themselves". There are plenty of good politicians out there. By buying into that framework you are falling into a trap set by those who really are out for themselves: the rich and those who reinforce the system that supports them.

Where then? What little I keep seeing is them not doing their jobs, looking out only for themselves, constantly screwing over the people living in the country(Not just the UK, but all over the world), siphoning all the money for themselves and their mates, cutting services to the bone then blaming us for all the trouble thus caused whilst giving themselves or corporations massive bonuses that they will never give out or use for anything of any actual value, lowering education, paving over greenery, destroying health, killing everyone who's not their class or colour...And whenever anything somehow manages to get out, they defy all attempts and it dies. Never held to account, never hurt,. always laughing, never ever touched,

Where the gently caress is the good?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 13, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Wales and NI are sticking to lockdown too. It's not just an England/Scotland thing
England Defails.

Bloodly posted:

Where then? What little I keep seeing is them not doing their jobs, looking out only for themselves, constantly screwing over the people living in the country(Not just the UK, but all over the world), siphoning all the money for themselves and their mates, cutting services to the bone then blaming us for all the trouble thus caused whilst giving themselves or corporations massive bonuses that they will never give out or use for anything of any actual value, lowering education, paving over greenery, destroying health, killing everyone who's not their class or colour...

Where the gently caress is the good?
It's almost as if there's an industry funded by rich sociopaths to spend all their time obsessively studying the ones that want to help so that they can catalog every minor faltering and say "see, you can't prove that our guy may have run an international pedophile ring, but your guy definitely used public money to buy his friend a coffee ergo they're both as bad as each other and greed is the natural state of man."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a few decent labour MPs, maybe one or two SNP/PC/Green, but the way the government works they have virtually no say in anything that happens

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 13, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also as proof that there's people in the world that just want to help:

*5 seconds later* we regret to inform you that the bread is racist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1260494359310602243

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Grant Shapps says he would not get on crowded bus or tube:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/13/grant-shapps-would-not-get-on-crowed-bus-tube-coronavirus-lockdown-eased

So what do I do if the buses are teeming with people? Well, I just use my freedom loving solid British common sense and I say that's fine, I'll skip work today and I'll eat air and I'll be totally fine.

Bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Communist Thoughts posted:

So the lockdown is just sort of ending anyway without us ever doing a proper one?

Indeed!