Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just checking that everyone knows this coming Monday (4th May) is NOT a bank holiday, the bank holiday is on Friday 8th May. (This change was made too late for most paper diaries printed last year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

DesperateDan posted:

I have now had three separate emails from labour telling me they are sad I'm gone so can I get taken off that clp list cause it makes me sad

Yes, though if you notified Labour Membership they ought to have done that, but in any case notify your CLP secretary and chair and they'll take you off the local membership lists. Well they did for me anyway! didn't stop me getting some stuff from Welsh Labour under an OLD email address I originally used which I have politely asked them to remove).

I only got one email from HQ saying they were sorry I was gone.

I'm not going to start wittering on about GDPR to them because as a former branch secretary myself, I do understand how most CLP & branch level folk are just volunteers with varying skills - usually pretty poor, in the IT department.

In my case, convincing another branch member who was going to pick up the secretary role temporarily til a new one was found that it was absolutely NOT ok for him to build his own database in a word document to email people from (and having assured me he wouldn't put all the addresses in the CC instead of the BCC field promptly did) and that, as one of so many people these days who only has a smart phone and no computer, he shouldn't be using the computer in the local library to do it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

LONDON MAY DAY online rally goes LIVE at 11am:

https://www.londonmayday.org/

quote:

With the current situation we are celebrating May Day on-line this year. Leading speakers, messages from unions and organisations, music, poetry, film will be running from 11.00 on May 1st. There will be special guests and other surprises.

We are celebrating international workers day. The reality that our society depends on workers could not be clearer at this time. We will be honouring those workers who are keeping our society going – both here and across the world.

But we will not be forgetting key issues facing workers – getting financial support & ensuring their housing; fighting the anti-union laws that try to limit our effectiveness; facing the other great crisis, our environment and the need to get climate change through just transition.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

DesperateDan posted:

My clp sec was first port of call when I quit- I meant the clp list in the op but thanks regardless :)

Of course it is always possible that your CLP secretary (or membership secretary if you have one) has quit too!
But if they're coming from your local CLP and they're not 'pretty' like the official ones with red tops via the Organise system then they've got you on a separate local list so I guess all you can do is reply and say 'please remove me from your list'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I can't stand minions memes but my bestiest friend of 45 years loves them and is always sending them to me if she thinks I need cheering up. I just can't tell her I hate them because I know she thinks they're amazing.

:hotpickle:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rewatched A Very British Coup over the weekend. Highly recommend! This is what would have happened if Corbyn had won the election.

It's available on All4.

Also:

https://twitter.com/altmann_tim/status/1256690738294857731?s=20

Also:

Who knew? Tony Benn is related to Margaret Rutherford (second cousins) - quintessentially English actor. Watched a documentary on her life today.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A message from Sandwich with a Pretty Big Pickle In It Corporation :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuZTch7FJgU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

learnincurve posted:

FFS, boomers are just being asked to only go shopping once a week and maintain a respectful distance away from others, no need to be so dramatic about it. They were happy enough to let us wander home from school aged 8 and then sit in front of the TV alone for hours till they got home, why are they so incapable of doing it themselves.

Hm well in my local "covid-care" groups a lot of the shopping for groceries, fetching meds and checking up on 'the quiet generation' and others who have to stay home is being done by boomers as many of the younger people have their own families to look after so shopping only once a week isn't really an option.

(Disclosure: very late boomer/early x-er. I'm keeping an eye on two neighbours in their 80s which involves occasional extra shopping and my mum who lives 8 miles out of town in splendid isolation and up a steep hill is getting groceries thanks to a similar age boomer with a car otherwise known as my sister.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

Oh yeah, no, I mean, Atlas Shrugged is on there too. Not the dodgiest thing on the shelf it appears, but still powerfully poo poo.

That book gave me a deep desire to work for the railway which I did end up doing for several years.

I get the impression I missed the whole point of the book.

Ed: I never read the speech bit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-sage-dominic-cummings-david-king-a9496546.html

quote:

Top scientists set up ‘shadow’ SAGE committee to advise government amid concerns over political interference
Former UK chief scientist assembles independent group of experts

Top scientists are setting up a shadow version of the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), amid concerns about “dangerous” political interference in advice to the government.

Sir David King, a former government chief scientific adviser, has assembled a group of independent experts to look at how the UK could work its way out of the coronavirus lockdown.

He said the 12-strong committee had been created “in response to concerns over the lack of transparency” from Sage.

The body, which will hold its first press conference on Monday, will focus on seven key points, including how testing and tracing can work, and the future of social distancing.

etc.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

This is like finding out that someone got into interior design and furniture upholstery after watching silence of the lambs.

I was just considering this in the light of some of the things that Corbyn has been done over for. We look at things through our own lens and can miss other interpretations. Eg Corbyn's "mis-steps" seem to involve his anti-capitalist lens (eg 'the foreword to the 1920s book' and 'the mural') and other interpretations just don't (or didn't) occur to him. I read that book through a 'woman does good in a man's world involving engineering' lens.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Scientists don't necessarily actually know how to run a country though do they to be fair.

Maybe not, but neither can the tories.

At least they might give scientific advice direct and not have it filtered through Cummings. Also, they're going to make all the data and models etc public so other scientists can put their 2p in.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Spoke to my wife's friend yesterday. She works for a British medical device company. They were being contracted by the gov to design a ventilator which could be made rapidly and efficiently in response to coronavirus, despite not having made ventilators before...

The contract got cancelled this week, apparently because they've decided "they don't need loads of ventilators anymore".

Just utterly shambolic.

I don't suppose they gave any hints as to why they thought they needed so many and now don't?

Same like they're going to mothball the Nightingale Hospital because it had no admissions this week and only 35 max before that. How are they getting their figures so wrong? Or was it really because they couldn't get the staff?
I was wondering last night if they could somehow repurpose it for the many hundreds of people who have lost their jobs in hospitality etc let alone the existing homeless and now living on the streets in London - not ideal but better than nothing. Wasn't that another government promise? Get all the homeless off the streets by April 1st or something like that?

Then there are the 600000 people who volunteered to help the NHS most of whom haven't been 'called up'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some utter oval office that I work with has pitched "if this app works the police should be out doing spot checks and fining people who haven't got it installed, and shops should be checking at the door and refusing to let people in if they don't have it"

What the gently caress is wrong with people

I take it that they will be giving free smart phones to everyone who doesn't have one or whatever model is required to run the app? Also, I take it they will be hurriedly installing mobile phone signals across the land for all those many areas where the signals are either non-existent or very poor?

ed. Beaten.

VVVV

Angepain posted:

Ok buy me a smartphone

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Beyond silliness. Is it parody or real?

https://twitter.com/wakeywhite/status/1257254399606435840?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Does anyone else get pissed off when friends and acquaintances on 'the right' share and diss Guardian articles and sneer at 'the left' because they think the Guardian is 'left' and that everyone on 'the left' takes the Guardian as holy writ?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apparently Starmer asked Formby to resign as soon as he won the leadership:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1257268766473322496?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

I always forget this country still hasn't legalised personal possession of weed (nm. sale it's the Tories we're talking about)

It's such a weird contrast seeing ads for "medical" weed and grow shops on the street when I visit my parents in the Czech Republic

Also they grew some in their garden despite being prime boomer age

You do know that boomers were in their late teens/20s when smoking dope, being nude at rock festivals etc was 'in'? Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John & Yoko etc:

Boomers:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kimberleydadds/isle-of-wight-festival-in-the-60s-and-70s

Also, check out Woodstock.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Why do people like kale? It's vile!
I had a 'green smoothie' in Amsterdam composed of pretty much what that first person's smoothie is a few years ago and it made me violently sick.

I don't drink alcohol or do drugs, but Hunter S Thompson's sounds a deal more appetizing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What the heck is an activated almond? Are almonds wired to explode?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

71 free courses from Harvard (4-12 weeks duration, I believe you can get a certificate).
Computer touching, politics, religion....

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog/free

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

My day on a plate today:
05:50 Pot of coffee
09:00 Banana and instant coffee
12:00 Lunch, some stuff I got for free, surplus rations they deliver to old people basically. Literally meat and potatoes.
14:00 more instant coffee
18:30 Finally home, with pizzas and kebab

My day on a plate so far today (did not sleep well last night, was still awake at 530am).

11:15 coffee #1 + 2 aspirins as bad headache
12:00 coffee #2 + savoury rice
14:00 satchet plain oats porridged with milk (I need it rationed in packets else I gobble it all in one go).
15:00 2 satchets plain oats porridged with milk
15:30 - 16:00 nanna nap
16:00 coffee #3
16:30 protein whey powder with milk (dieting experiment that failed after 2 days but I still have the powder).
17:00 protein when powder with milk

Upcoming:
a potato+bacon+onion pack thing with 2 eggs
2 small apples that really ought to get eaten today.
1 more coffee

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

RIP Dave Greenfield
Stranglers' keyboardist has died of Covid-19

I'll see you in the sewer, brother!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB3XGrWZQlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqllpnyWrY

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Where did you get that pic of Gove?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I get the impression that several of us watched Father Ted the other night.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CGI Stardust posted:

Labour has released the 7 Core Principles by which it will provide good, unifying opposition during the crisis

What a load of rubbish.
They can't even centre a number in a box in Word (or possibly powerpoint) and expect to run the country? :smdh:
Labour HQ need a boot up the bum for all things 'office adminy' and that goes double for Welsh Labour.
I'm all for not wasting money but really.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

Prof Neal Ferguson has had to resign cos he was having a lady round to his house. Oops!

I thought that was ok now so long as they stayed at least 3 days?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The only interpretation I can think of is that it's the chart's key, indicating that the UK death toll is represented by the red line

But... if that's the case... why is Italy not in the key? Or more to point, why is the text "UK" not simply next to its respective line, like "Italy" is?

II think it's just a badly labelled graph. Italy got its name right by its curve. Whoever made the graph could have moved the UK label down to the red line. However, that may have given a false impression that the UK is much lower than Italy. Probably would have been better to use the key for both UK and Italy and to move the key well out of the way of either of the lines, maybe over near the y-axis or bottom rh corner.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

baka kaba posted:

Can't believe all these people are staying at home not working, why aren't they going out and getting new jobs??

Because they're scroungers, lazy, shammers, eating too much avocado toast washed down with croissants and I bet they've all got plasma screen tvs and Sky too. And I bet they're all single parent mothers too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Literally (really) just came to post the exact same thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I did once try to suggest to a lady at work that the new LED bulbs were probably a lot less likely to go bang than the halogen ones she was looking for (but that we didn't stock) but she wasn't having any of it.

Why of all technologies you would stan for loving halogen bulbs i do not know, they go bang more often than any other type IME.

halogen bulbs can be dangerous. I once had a brown stain on my wardrobe door. At least I thought it was a stain. I finally realized it was gradually burning from the adjacent 50W halogen lamp (this was back in the late 90s before all this new-fangled climate change stuff :corsair: )

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mourning Due posted:

Sorry for the feels, but: if you have a loved one who is in any way in the danger zone for this thing, and you've not told them everything you'd want them to know: take some time today to write them or call them and let them know.

I hadn't written or spoken to my great aunt since early Feb, and while we told each other we loved each other all the time, I never gave her a proper "this is what you've meant to me over the course of my whole life" letter like I'd always planned to. Passed away two weeks ago. Her funeral was yesterday but if course with lockdown, I couldn't go, so it's really lingering.

It's felt like life was on pause during all this, but now that it's happened in left thinking, how did I miss all the red flags? 97 years old, living in a care home, during a mass pandemic and quarantine, where nearly a thousand people died every day. I've been wracking my brain for ways to fill my time in all this, and never bothered to properly write her. Looking back at texts with my mom, I said a couple times, "keep meaning to write to Auntie, but with nothing going on I haven't had anything to say!". Well, I've got a lifetime of stuff to say now, and don't get the chance to. Wasn't even COVID, just an infection that got out of hand over 48 hours.

Anyway, there we are. Talking to a counselor hopefully next week which should help. My wife's been amazing during all this, and her recommendation of still writing the letter has taken a lot of the sting out. But I really, really urge you to avoid this feeling, and take the chance to let those you love know what you feel about them. Even if they don't get impacted by all this, you've only told them something nice anyway.

In any case, going to keep trying to stop beating myself up about it.

A few pages back now, but my condolences on your loss.

Even if you (as in a general you) think you have nothing to say, do it anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

75th VE Day chat:

I stayed totally offline all day yesterday and as I live in a quiet cul de sac in a block of flats full of much older than me Olds, there weren't any obvious signs round here. (But when I went on FB today for the first time in 2 days it was full of various family and friends posting photos of their homes decked out in union jacks)

While I am of the opinion this anniversary was cranked up to boost jingoism and 'blitz spirit' - there was a touch of it on the 50th anniversary. The bank holiday was shifted then too to the 8th May. But that was 1995 when I guess most posters itt were still at primary school or even still just a twinkle in someones' eyes, and might not remember.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Venomous posted:

haven't seen this posted yet

https://twitter.com/MerseyHack/status/1258758842680254465?s=19

in two weeks' time we might wanna specifically check the infection rates around Grappenhall, maybe nominate the whole place for a Darwin

Imagine being near the back in the conga and catching the slipstream of everyone in front... at least queuing to get into Waitrose or Home Bargains you're standing still at 2m distance giving time for the bugs leaking from the person in front to disperse in the air before you get there...

Meanwhile, I haven't seen this posted yet:

Covid in Semen.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/07/health/coronavirus-semen-china-health/index.html

quote:

The new coronavirus can persist in men's semen even after they have begun to recover, a finding that raises the possibility the virus could be sexually transmitted, Chinese researchers said Thursday.

A team at Shangqiu Municipal Hospital tested 38 male patients treated there at the height of the pandemic in China, in January and February.
About 16% of them had evidence of the coronavirus in their semen, the team reported in the journal JAMA Network Open. About a quarter of them were in the acute stage of infection and nearly 9% of them were recovering, the team reported.
"We found that SARS-CoV-2 can be present in the semen of patients with COVID-19, and SARS-CoV-2 may still be detected in the semen of recovering patients," Diangeng Li of Chinese People's Liberation Army General Hospital in Beijing and colleagues wrote.

etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

I mean, unless you've got some sort of ppe fetish thing going on, I think you're p likely to catch the Roni during sex regardless of whether it's in semen or not

I was pondering what effect (if any) virus-infected semen might have on fertilization, babies and found out this:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/09/human-semen-can-host-27-different-viruses

quote:

Human semen can host up to 27 different viruses
By Karl GruberSep. 20, 2017 , 8:00 AM

When scientists discovered that the Zika virus can survive in semen for up to 6 months, people exposed to the disease—especially those hoping to have children—were horrified. It’s now known that the virus can be sexually transmitted up to 41 days. Now, a new meta-analysis has found that 26 other viruses can also live in human semen and go on to infect the bloodstream. Those include the viruses that cause Ebola, HIV, hepatitis B, and herpes. After reviewing more than 3800 scientific publications, the authors also found evidence that at least 11 viruses can live in the testes, including those that cause influenza, dengue, and severe acute respiratory syndrome. These viruses could potentially be found in semen, too, the authors say. Though not all 27 viruses are capable of person-to-person transmission, they can have other serious consequences, like reducing fertility or increasing the risk of acquiring a sexually transmitted disease. Some of these viruses can even cause mutations in the DNA of sperm, which could then fertilize an egg and pass along the virus-induced mutations to future generations.

etc

So I wonder what sort of human would evolve from DNA altered by Corvid-19?

Perhaps this happened in the past? Ancient Alien theorists suggest that Corvid-19 modified human DNA and generated a super-human, a god if you will, and we now honour that god in the form of an orange with cloves sticking out of it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I saw this and thought of UKMT

The creme egg thing is from Sunday Sport in 2015 apparently.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Deketh posted:

I can't handle the sanctimonious smugness of it all. As if helping the vulnerable and addressing wealth inequality was some childish loving jaunt, and now we can be grown ups again by going back to propping up capital and keeping the working class in their place. What's that, support our public services and fix the welfare system? Look after renters and the low paid? Don't be so silly, the grown ups are back, let's get that debt accumulating again and let's have you work for gently caress all til you die.
It's similar to that ghoul Peston trying to take the piss out of Corbyn with that photo caption. We get it, you fucks, you won. You get to have it all, your corrupt little position, your wealth and vulgar influence. You get to keep manufacturing and inflicting your hellworld on the masses, you don't have to take the piss out of and belittle the people that actually tried to improve life for the desperate.

The commonly held belief that 'once you're an adult and doing sensible adult stuff - jobs, bills etc - you'll put your silly, student, commie ideas behind you'.
I think of it sort of a bit like Plato's cave, where the people can see shadows of what's happening outside their cave but don't desire to leave it. "Silly, student, commie ideas" are the shadows of an alternative reality, and seeing the shadows but not wanting to leave the cave is the 'being a sensible adult' bit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

I'm still holding out hope that people get more conservative as they get richer, not older.

Because there's going to be some upset conservatives in the next few decades if so.

I think it's more that - wealth as opposed to age. I remember at school when I had a poster of Lenin on my cubicle wall, other girls in my class would say 'I'd love to meet you when you're older because you'll be a conservative' - ha ha. Well I did meet them at a school reunion a couple of years ago and they were astonished and amazed to find out I was not only a Corbyn supporter but secretary of my local Labour Party branch. It was kinda weird, it was sort of like a 'pleasurable' astonishment, something they would go into the office on the following Monday and say 'you'll never guess what happened at the weekend. I actually met a socialist and she was over 50!.'
Suffice to say, if it wasn't for the golden oldies round here, the Labour Party would be almost extinct. Just about any activists, post holders, street stall staffers etc are over 60. And it's not for lack of encouragement!

Actually not wealth either really. Before I quit work some years ago I was in the 88th percentile of pay so in people terms, not badly off. A more holistic view of the world perhaps? I think people fondly imagine that there's a money box with their name on it at the DWP wherein their NI & Tax gets put in and then taken out to give them pensions, health care and so on, rather than we need next generation of kids to grow up, educated, producing to look after the next round. What we are paying now is supporting the very old and the very young and the sick, and in their turn they might support us and we were supported.
(Tories have broken this 'pay it forward' system down though)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 9, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

Long shot request, does anybody still have that tweet with the radio interview with some boomer arguing that she should be allowed her walk on the beach and the interviewer basically got her to agree that she’d rather die than stay inside for a while?

It was from a few thousand years ago, so like a month or two going by the old calendar.

You might be able to track it down from here:

https://www.gainsboroughstandard.co...ockdown-2517084

Radio Solent. MIght even be a link directly to it in that link but my internet is going slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Fascinating real life adventure:

https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1259248932326170631?s=20