Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

COVID-19 MAY 2020 USA CUM DEATHS GUESSING GAME
Guess how many cumulative deaths we have on worldometer's COVID-19 report for May 31st for the USA. The closest guess gets the satisfaction of being smarter than a bunch of idiot epidemiologists. If you are dead on May 31st, you may not redeem this prize. The guessing window closes at +07:00 GMT on May 2nd.

We're at 63k now so my guess is 250k cumulative by 5/31 and a million by July 4

Its gonna double twice a week in open states, so over half their populations infected by memorial day but take a while for deaths to kick in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mycomancy posted:

I am absolutely loling at all these goons not understanding how exponentials work.

From March 1 to April 1 deaths doubled every 2.45 days. From April 1 to now, they doubled every 9.03 days. The difference? April saw actual attempts to contain the virus, and both the case numbers and the death count slowed.

By my calculations, if the doubling time stays what it is, by May 31 we will have 695,157 deaths. If our doubling time drops because of *waves arms gesticulating wildly* it goes up very fast.

So, here's my guess.

Doubling time: 6 days
Death count on May 31 for the United States: 2,293,629
Lol loving hell that's a lot

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lordshmee posted:

Put me down for 180k by the end of May.

God I wish weed was legal where I live. I am drinking entirely too much these days but I sure as hell ain’t gonna spend more time sober than I have to.

I've almost completely quit drinking and rely on spray tinctures to chill me out , especially if I get ibs from anxiety. When it's real bad I'll break out the oil

Its working really well except for my sporadic trip to the dispensary that's a tiny room

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Moxie posted:

May is going to be really lovely if this thread is any indication

I think worst case is basically that most states didn't really get it yet, so the 3 week clock to mass death doesn't start till Saturday. Weekend of big spread, then another big weekend of spread, but deaths don't seem bad when all the govs in states with may 15th orders give up and open up too since everything seems fine down south

Then kaboom, incubation periods in Georgia and Texas and Iowa end just before memorial day , deaths skyrocket but not in time for people everywhere to notice and cancel their party plans

Frankly the only hope for Chicago/Illinois is a lot of deaths early in those states and the media going full bore about it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dew worm posted:

I remember one of my college professors going off about how HOAs are iron clad in their legal bounds as well. like you literally can’t fight them.

In Illinois if you try to fight them they can evict you and move someone else into your house, it's amazing

Its even funnier in small hoas (like 3 story buildings) because the atty fees get added onto the HOA bill so you have to pay for the opposing lawyer

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Samsquamsch posted:

Lmao I just found out my state is reopening restaurants on Monday with no limit on capacity, just a 6 foot distance between tables. Not that I was going to eat out for the next year anyway, but goddamn.

what state

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Spoondick posted:

she should extend the lockdown until october and ban assault rifles

im gonna say it, its fine for the protestors to march around with guns, as long as they dont point the guns at anyone

zegermans posted:

The important thing to remember is these militia people are above all complete and utter cowards. The first bullet flying their way will make them scatter or drown in their own piss.

imgokcbombing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Holy poo poo . JB is Jewish so they definitely knew what they were doing here

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mons Hubris posted:

Setting aside the obvious constitutional issues, states should probably quit letting anybody in or out for a while

I keep shouting into the void that Illinois needs to build a wall from lake Michigan to the Tippecanoe river and then secure all bridges because of poo poo like this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

lol that we did have some slack in our overstressed healthcare system once people got too afraid to come to the ER for poo poo like "nervous" or "stubbed toe" (but also for poo poo like "crushing chest pain")

I might have a minor fracture in my hand during a hailstorm a few weeks ago but I'll be damned if I go anywhere near a hospital to find out. Probably just a bruise!(that 3 weeks later still hurts)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lacrosse posted:

I think Doomsday preppers were secretly hoping for a blank check to murder a whole bunch of people they didn't like, but since this situation didn't give them that chance they're done with this so-called apocalypse thank you very much. This was my theory at why zombies as a genre was so popular a while back.

I keep saying it but the real preppers are just happily prepping quietly. My dad called to say he was loading up on fencing so he can grow his meat rabbit herd, he already has the feed for them and the chickens

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

hey remember to tell your dad you will die if you eat nothing but rabbit meat

He gave us a trunk full of squash last year , has tomatoes and whatever else too, I'm sure he'll be fine.

His real threat is self made, he chose to keep renting his place on Airbnb to people desperate to escape Chicago. He's making a fortune but that's a definite risk to take that isn't necessary

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gallup, nm just had the mayor and gov work together to block all roads into it

I'm betting it's to keep indians from the nearby reservations from getting to the hospital

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm displeased to report that in the lakefront parts of the nice Chicago burbs "wear masks when outside and unable to maintain 6 feet distance" means to 80% of people "if you can have 6 feet of distance at any point in time in your entire day, no mask required"

Hordes of cyclists/walkers/joggers going maskless past each other in bike Lanes/multi use paths

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Viruses are small and will go straight through a mask that is not designed to stop them from doing so.

There's a peer reviewed study saying surgical masks are almost as good as n95s against coronaviruses but way worse against bacteria but be a smug know it all who's wrong instead

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Many of these protestors are carrying around thousands of dollars in toys. One woman at the PA “rally” had a $4k min camera rig. The tactilol kits cost at least as much. These are not financially desperate people.

They're people who have never had a period of unemployment in their life, likely being just senior enough to survive downturns in 2000 and 2009, and being shut down by the state for health is the first time they've ever faced unexpected loss of income. I saw some interview with a lady in Iowa who had never been unemployed in 40 years

That's why these protests are "working" - it's not the protests, they represent the exact same people, and probably are the exact same people, who are big fish in all the small ponds in every suburban town across every state. These are the guys who donate to small time elections, help with fundraisers, etc. They have politicians ears via pocketbooks, not because they brandish weapons they'll never use

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Peacoffee posted:

you can feel the sense in the air of people who took something seriously, watching chuds on tv and secretly feeling kinda jealous of not caring. they’ve started to look for proof that they are overcautious lol

It absolutely sucks to not be able to see friends/family or even enjoy parks and playgrounds, and it's even harder seeing other people doing exactly that with no consequences

I can't even think of an analogy. Maybe if the speed limit on interstates was 10 mph and we all carefully drove in the right lane while watching everyone else do 80 just fine and thinking "ok surely they're going to die in a wreck or at least the govt will enforce its laws" but nope they just get to do what they want (and hit and run some people on the way with no consequences)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Skypie posted:

Here's my state's current roadmap to opening everything back up

prob wouldn't be too bad if we hadn't had +660 cases on Friday lol

Illinois needs to Build the Wall. Our great lakes partner has betrayed us

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah that's been a steady pressure though, the big thing that was like a switch being thrown was that IHME 60k mark.

Those so called scientists should be prosecuted for malpractice

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Skypie posted:

the replies to this are amazing

just a flood of "my rights!!!!" cuz people couldn't go out to eat for 2 months lmao

My new motto is no shoes no shirt no mask

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RandomBlue posted:

Part of the problem is that PoC are dying disproportionately more compared to their percentage of confirmed cases as well, it's not just that more of them are getting covid-19.

No way to know if that's true, they could be getting tested way less

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rauros posted:

i'm in a college town in georgia, and it's a lost cause. yesterday, when i had to carefully run through town to connect my isolated trail loop, a bunch of road runners were running in tight groups without a care in the world.

Its exactly the same in Chicago and its suburbs. Every path is crowded as hell and literally everyone thinks outside = no mask

Oh and I went to a less desirable park with my 4 year old kid to play in the open fields there, but used the path in. I was on the edge of the path and my kid to the right in the grass. rear end in a top hat dog owners came the other way not paying attention and their medium sized dog darted behind me to maul my kid, complete with puncture wounds and now he's scared of all dogs. I hate everyone

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Relevant Tangent posted:

Did you kill the dog? Also your kid is right to be scared of dogs, they're not socialized for poo poo and most owners don't train them at all. If your dog mauls someone you should absolutely lose a limb matching the one mauled and if you don't agree to that don't have dogs.

I'm working on executing the dog, yes. But using official process to do it, so first step is trying to get it impounded. How unlucky for the owner that our picture of my kids back shows 4 puncture wounds and just one seemingly qualifies a dog for special "vicious animal" status

I think dealing with everyone's selfishness about covid for 2 months and now this flipped a switch and I really, really want a gun and to find that dog so I get why cooling off periods for buying weapons apply

Basically at this point paths and sidewalks are useless. You either stay at home, walk/bike in roads or walk only in open muddy fields

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

rump buttman posted:

maybe? who knows

9 days vs 3 days for death doubling. The goon who did the math with an in between 6 day doubling time had 2 million dead prediction this month

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonsense posted:

August will be the bad death mark. I don't see them closing again the same month they open. They'll wait until June like fools

How do people see the post about current best case scenario American deaths (ignoring reopening) mean 650k by June and think anyone will be uninfected by August

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
^^ lol that's brutal

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How is chic fil a ahead of the curve

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

"This means that if the states were to reopen, 350,000 people in total would die from coronavirus by the end of June, the study found.'"

Cowards forecast

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I've repeatedly asked for and searched for examples of outdoor places resulting in outbreaks and have come up empty every time.

We have absolutely no contact tracing as of like early April what are you expecting

Might as well ask for proof people got it from being coughed on

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Milosh posted:

My dad asked me today if I personally knew anyone that had Covid? So that’s probably the new right wing talking point.

tell them your internet friend's wife's friend's mom in michigan got it and had to be on a ventilator, also that two of your internet friend's church friends got it but were under 40 so pulled through without much issue (since they were health workers they actually got tested and were positive and quarantined instead of going into work)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Burn Zone posted:

personally spoken to three rural boomers who’ve told me they heard on Fox News to go look in their garage / basement / shed for masks and found 3M N95 masks they’d purchased for project work or whatever

Even my under 40 year old friends did this, anyone who wanted to do home remodeling themselves (which is a lot of them ) had n95s laying around

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ChristsDickWorship posted:

the entire entertainment business shut itself down within 24hrs of the nba deciding to do it. that was march 12th a week before california or new york. entertainment is how i pay my bills so i'm probably biased, but in my drug-addled headcanon the nba was our most effective federal crisis response team

I was convinced March madness was going to be a series of superspreader events and when the NBA shut down and college ball got cancelled instantly I had hope for like a week that we'd come out of this with fewer than 1m dead because obviously it was a huge deal and people would realize it

Woops

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Burn Zone posted:

i don’t know anyone under the age of 40 who owns a home

Try living in the Midwest

Also "own" means "has giant mortgage"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a.lo posted:

yeah but i can call myself a home owner, right?

Call yourself "takes a year of non-payment to get evicted instead of a week like filthy renters"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically.

What I'm looking forward to is in a month or two when the entertainment industry runs out of what they have in the can, especially since this was an Olympic year and no one really counter programs for that.

We're going to have a dead summer for entertainment and it's going to make the boomers loose their poo poo.

It sucks they cancelled the Olympics, they could have social distanced like 90% of the events

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

How much of it on Netflix is worth watching though?

They have more than you'd think, namely Scott Adkins movies. Extraction isn't bad either

My Big Movie Advice is to make a justwatch list of like 100 movies then filter by the service you want to use (or multiple) since about 10-20% of the movies you want to see will be on any given service (with kanopy/hoopla, the free library ones, having the most)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I'm reading some dumb article and this:

I'm not the first person to say it but I hate that everyone latched onto the magic 6 feet thing. ESPECIALLY walking down a loving sidewalk.

Its hilarious you can't even come close to social distancing on sidewalks or bike paths/mups and no one cares enough to walk in the grass

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rural chuds are going to come out of this paying a subscription fee to get their mail delivered to them, and they're going to think it's great lol

They'll just go to the post office , my dad still does

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Anachronist posted:

I thought I read that the full guideline was don’t stand within 6 feet for more than 10 minutes. So blazing by someone on the trail is okay. I also read that way back before the cdc recommended ordinary mask wearing so maybe the 10 minutes bit was just hopeful naivete on their part also.

The whole thing is frustrating because it's useless guidance. Hell, no one even know what six feet away even is. But beyond that, the bus and restaurant studies showed that no one has a loving clue how this thing is spreading, and everyone should be considering every action they take as a risk

Go outside ? A risk. No mask? Risk. Go near someone? Risk. Go near someone really quickly then not? Still a risk

Instead it's just like oh we have a magic number of 6 feet and 10 minutes based on a guess and lets treat that as gospel because we don't want to actually change our behavior the tiniest bit since we're selfish and prefer not to think about anything like that

I'm probably going to the grocery store today because I'm going to the school lunch pickup first and will have gear on, but you can be drat sure I won't go anywhere near anyone in the store and will yell at people who get near me just like I yell at people in the quiet car when they talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

there's nowhere else safe to ride, drivers around here love trying to murder cyclists

Don't ride then , or do it inside your place