Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

COVID-19 MAY 2020 USA CUM DEATHS GUESSING GAME
Guess how many cumulative deaths we have on worldometer's COVID-19 report for May 31st for the USA. The closest guess gets the satisfaction of being smarter than a bunch of idiot epidemiologists. If you are dead on May 31st, you may not redeem this prize. The guessing window closes at +07:00 GMT on May 2nd.

Gonna say 144,000 for the full apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Der Meister posted:

this is turning me into a nihilist help

Read some Camus.

He was a shitbag with no real answers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

eighty-four merc posted:

no way

the myth of sisyphus is a masterpiece and imo makes a strong case for a very useful answer to a Big Question

honestly online leftists would probably have better lives in general if they self identified as Camus readers instead of as Marx understanders

Well that's you misunderstanding badly.

I said Camus was a shitbag with no real answers (which also describes Marx) - and I stand by that statement.

But I also recommended reading his works.

Because he asks questions worth asking - and equally acknowledges he doesn't have the real answers, because that would be rather missing the point.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

they are almost certainly real, but do to the infinite vastness of space we will never meet them. humanity will share the fate of all humans: dying alone unable to comprehend the endless spans between us.

"Aliens don't exist" is about as likely as "Other people don't exist, I'm just hallucinating all this", funnily enough.

And they're equally impossible to prove for certain.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

That would be a really weird index finger.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m surprised they haven’t proposed forcing all meat factory employees to live in the factory to prevent bringing the virus in

Workers go in. Meat comes out. You don't want to explain that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Notahippie posted:

I'm not joking, this picture literally makes my head hurt and I don't know why. It's just another day at the shitshow and there are plenty of chuds who have done more reprehensible things, but this picture is the one that finally makes me feel like the reality I've been perceiving this whole time is a thin lie painted over howling darkness.

Welcome to understanding reality as it is.

Yeah, it sucks rear end, but it's better than being one of those fuckers that thinks the world is just.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Notahippie posted:

I'm not joking, this picture literally makes my head hurt and I don't know why. It's just another day at the shitshow and there are plenty of chuds who have done more reprehensible things, but this picture is the one that finally makes me feel like the reality I've been perceiving this whole time is a thin lie painted over howling darkness.

Also yeah it's Camus time for you too.

Remember, he was a real rear end in a top hat in his personal life, and he doesn't have any answers to questions you might have.

Because staring at the howling madness expecting for it to make sense any day now will not end well for you.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Notahippie posted:

It's not Camus, it's Sartre. I finally understand la nausée in my bones.

There's a difference between knowing they were the best at what they did, and understanding why.

It's no less true that knowing what the lie is doesn't mean you don't live in a world full of people who cannot tolerate anyone pointing it out.

Nor does knowing where you are mean you're not lost.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

oh yeah i know, I was half-complaining in the rlm thread about she hasn't posted updates in such a long time, then checked her twitter feed and saw that it's because she's STILL suffering from it physically and psychologically AND is having trouble with her bullshit insurance

so bummed out. gently caress this virus and gently caress this healthcare system and god--if you're listening--please drat america

If you wanted God to show he truly hates America as a concept alone... what ELSE would you have Him do?

The plague, constant tornadoes and murder hornets are not a hint enough?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I do keep finding it grimly funny Ace keeps correctly identifying the problem of "life has no meaning, we live in an absurd uncaring universe and society is garbage where meaningless repetition is held up as the best we can do" and then following it up with "so I need to work harder to be better at repeating poo poo I know to be meaningless or I have failed".

Life lacks meaning and we cannot find any useful moral values in the chaotic mess the world is. You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get. There's no justice other than what we impose, and as a culture, we're deeply incompetent as far as it comes to doing so. And unwilling, but that's a given.

And if your response is "What, then, should I just give up?" - well, yes. If accepting nothing has meaning isn't compatible with what you're doing, then you should just give up. Not that the people who ask that are doing anything meaningful in the first place - they're just existing, desperate for answers that never come.

If you think meaning comes from within you're high as hell, at which point I have to both congratulate you for managing to get that high, and also disregard all that nonsense.

As far as to what you should do about it, I can't answer that. "Read Camus" is a suggestion I keep making, but knowing that will also not give you any answers. The best I can do is point out things that don't work. And one of them is being miserable over the fact that you don't live in the world you wish you lived in. If you're miserable, you aren't happy with the way the world is, which does mean there's a world you'd be happier in.

So act in a way that takes us closer to one of those worlds. And realize we'll never get there. If your motivation for making the world a better place is living in a just world, you'll just get disillusioned and turn into another monster.

This crisis isn't creating these problems. It's just taking away many of the ways we use to run away. You can keep running away until you die, but is there any meaning there? No.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spergin Morlock posted:

username/post combo

In so many ways.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Typically we deal with clinical depression by trying to restore neurochemical balance rather than meditating on the fact that Sisyphus is happy

He's already in therapy and thus has been assessed by a professional on the subject of taking pills to fix problems.

And yet he continues to be who he is, because it turns out you can throw all the pills and professionals at a hosed up brain and sometimes it doesn't work.

Literally everyone who's replied to me knows this, some of you with notorious track records of personal experience.

If you need proof for that, you've come to the right place.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shageletic posted:

I guarantee that man gets his philosophical "edge" from Buffy the Vampire reviews on youtube

Y'know, apart from the downright "what" burn, I'm still more baffled by that being called edgy.

Life is meaningless isn't some grand revelation, if you were to write a beginner's guide to living that's the thing you would start with.

It's more of a memento shitpost to all the people offering him "advice" fully well knowing they're full of poo poo.

While, yes, obviously I know my posting isn't any better or more meaningful. We're all stuck down the same pit.

Gonna be a lot more folk who realize they're going through this though, and it helps to know that at least we're all going through the same thing.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

So the whole Sweden didn't close and they seem to be not doing differently thing is confusing as gently caress to me. I am assuming the news I'm seeing isn't telling the whole story? Or has Sweden been mostly life as usual this whole time?

Ten times the deaths of the neighbors.

No appreciable difference in economic outcome.

Turns out the demand slump from people staying at home is perfectly capable of decimating your economy without officially declaring lockdown.

They're still screaming about how superior they are because chuds gonna chud.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also yeah Sweden going full chud is surprise to nobody familiar with the history of the region they're always going full ARE EMPIRE every fifty years, commit a series of human rights violations, then realize they gained nothing. Not even the hatred of their neighbors because Sweden has always been hated for the poo poo they keep pulling.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

For what it's worth Finland is rolling back restrictions to almost Sweden levels starting June, I hope the outcome is that enduring the horror of restaurants and swimming pools being closed for 2,5 months results in 5-10x less deaths. The government is still retaining the the state of readiness banhammer so they can roll back at moment's notice though. Schools opened a week ago so if theres going to be a spike it should show up soon, maybe ill get it too since my gf is a teacher in one of the areas with the highest per capita infections rate.

EDIT: The latest opposition chud talking point here seems to be just to blatantly lie and claim that the government was going to do the Swedish approach but somehow they managed to pressure them to do the right thing. This is the party who's leader claims TURMP is the best thing to happen to western politics in decades.

Well he is a clown nobody could take seriously. He still is, but now everyone pays less attention to that bit. Trunt is a great thing for him.

Also, Tom of Finland having a girlfriend? O tempora, o mores.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Do you remember a few years ago when we proved the universe's a simulation designed to determine the local maxima of stupidity by analyzing the microwave background radiation?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Solarin posted:

I think it's extremely regional, but the answer is no, we are not out of the first wave

Waves come with seasons.

Until the fall flu season starts, second cycle hasn't started.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Renaissance Spam posted:

Okay up front what is the problem with Finland? From the outside you look like paradise but there has to be something wrong (besides the whole underlying racism prevalent everywhere).

Atrocious Joe posted:

the Forest Spirits

I'd keep quiet if I were you.

Just don't think about it. It couldn't ever have been any other way.

Now there's a song I haven't told you about...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hodgepodge posted:

this is an extremely finnish version of persona that involves drinking reindeer piss isn't it

The actual joke is troublemakers getting hella murdered.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lord Of Texas posted:

Cite your sources, I haven't been able to find any reputable source reporting this. Stop spreading misinformation.

Shut the gently caress up.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
(In a very smarmy Dr Evil voice.) "Ooh I can't find a reputable news source to verify this new information from a zone where the police are attacking journalists and therefore it must be, shall I say, fake news."

Shut all the way up.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
No need for a June thread, but this thread IS getting a little stale.

June-July-August for a COVID-19 Summer. We're not expecting much in the way of big news until September or October when this poo poo is supposed to ramp the hell up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

anime was right posted:

uh i mean after the protests and The Great Opening shits gonna get real bad

Oh, yes. But bad in that predictable fashion that doesn't result in "oh poo poo" as much as "gently caress this poo poo".