Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Helith posted:

Don't forget that there is always a few weeks lag on new cases as it can take that long to show symptoms and get tested, so cases showing up now were likely infected mid April-ish.
also the first people infected by the pro-virus rallies and dropping of state defenses will likely be dumbass chud types who aren't going to be quick to get tested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

are cubic/polynomial models a real thing in epidemiology or did some dumbass just click through trendlines until something looked good

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

holy poo poo I was right lol

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

are cubic/polynomial models a real thing in epidemiology or did some dumbass just click through trendlines until something looked good

386-SX 25Mhz VGA has issued a correction as of 03:02 on May 5, 2020

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

what the gently caress I still can't believe the polynomial fit thing, I mean it's clearly what they did but what the gently caress

did they think it was valid or do they know and just not care

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's either extreme incompetence and nobody knows enough to fact check the projection or they are so terrified of the economic projections that they hope they can just trick people into spending money to boost number.
my gut tells me it's malice but I've seen so many people in real life abuse excel trendlines this way I'm leaning toward incompetence

this is a super common thing for semi-technical people to do in excel to impress non-technical management types

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

lol if anybody thinks they would announce it if the president tested positive instead of just lying about it

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

UnknownTarget posted:

I guess I'm just concerned about the Mattering being cut short. Of course I'm conflicted because the end of this Mattering is God loving awful.
friend this poo poo is just getting started

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Who wears sunglasses in a Costco wtf

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

whats the cspam covid thread consensus on the falling daily US cases anyway

are the infections actually down or is it some accounting bullshit

it's definitely going to shoot back up into exponential territory in a few weeks right? or are enough people staying inside that it's just going to creep up or stay flat until 2030

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_1CIwwEIA

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

It's not universally true or anything, but it feels like everyone who tries to push meat substitutes didn't really like meat much in the first place because there's absolutely a difference. I love veggies and I've always loved veggies so I don't mind making meat-free dishes, but I also like meat and I've never run across any substitutes that make up for it. There's this really organic grocery store near me that has (well, had) a great hot food bar with tons of stuff like vegan lasagna or "chicken" or whatever. It's all really good on its own merits, but it's not at all like the equivalent meat dishes.

The only exceptions I've found are with some of the burger substitutes if you're eating them in place of fast food burgers, but that's a really specific edge case and it's honestly getting less true as fast food burgers start using better meat anyway.

If you want to eat less meat, just eat less meat and more veggies. Vegetables are tasty and there's lot of stuff you can do with them without pretending that you're eating something else.
My experience is that vegetarian proteins like baked/seasoned tofu and paneer hit the "meat spot" for me better than any meat substitutes, and if I am really craving meat, I'll just go out and get a burger or something. Eliminating meat at home and only eating it when eating out should vastly decrease your meat consumption if you only eat out occasionally.

Also for me it took about four years to get completely comfortable with never having meat at home. It was not easy, and I still go out and get a burger or something every week or so. The food parts of your brain are extremely difficult to change

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

mdemone posted:

CLEARLY LINEAR TRENDS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO UNDERSTAND DATA

I AM AN ENORMOUS loving SHITHEAD
it looks like that line is just y=x as a reference for where the r values are equal

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some reddit chud, outright, gave me 70% infected with a 0.33% death rate as an example of how it "isn't that bad"

7.5m dead, not a big deal
that works out to about 750k not 7.5m, but still atrocious

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

What does this translate to in non-bullshit unemployment numbers

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

imagine hearing that trump said a thing will happen and then believing that the thing will happen

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

so have the health officials of Florida offered any explanation for the gigantic loving extremely deadly pneumonia epidemic currently ripping through their state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

HORSE OF THE YEAR posted:

We just found out today that an employee at my work has tested positive for covid. I work in a grocery store in AZ (not Kroger, Walmart or Whole Foods) in a well to do suburb of Phoenix. We don’t work in the same department and I haven’t had close contact with them, but gently caress man. It was inevitable, I’d say maybe half of our customers wear masks, and maybe half of the employees wear their masks correctly (like only covering their mouths and not their nose, lowering it to loving talk, etc.) Store management is doing their best to make it seem like not a big deal, but I was talking to the grocery manager earlier and he’s considering bailing for at least five days if just for his own mental health. I’m at work right now, everyone is on edge except management. They’re not requiring anyone quarantine besides other employees who had overlapping shifts with the confirmed case. I knew this would eventually happen, but I don’t know what to do next. how the gently caress are we supposed to go on just like business as usual? Today we are doing major table changes in my department, we’re already understaffed and since we’ve officially reopened in AZ management has been expecting performance to be just as it always was. I’m trying to get everything done but all I can think is “gently caress this, there are more important things going on right now.”

sorry for rambling, I’m just scared of bringing this poo poo home to my wife, scared of maybe already giving it to my family and hers. stay safe goons.
sorry hellscape state goon

what suburb is this