Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

babypolis posted:

so whats the deal with sweden? honestly the numbers from over there dont seem that bad considering they arent murdering their own economy like everyone else

like as far as im concerned keep the quarantie going on forever because im still getting paid and working 2 hours instead of 8 with no commute and high as gently caress all day long but i know a lot of people are suffering economically and it will only get worse so maybe theres some truth to the idea of the cure being worse than the disease. i dunno im just asking q pls dont dogpile me

sweden is burying most of its numbers (sending the old home with morphine to die uncounted), but their deaths per million counts are still 600% higher than their neighbors in norway and finland

nobody "murdered" any economy. it turns out that businesses suffer during a global pandemic, who knew? sweden's economy is suffering just as badly as the rest of europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

it's truly incredible that capitalists managed to pin the economic collapse on the "lockdown" rather than....a worldwide plague

very few people are willing to push back against this narrative, even if they support intelligent public health measures

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

many states will likely never report accurate death totals (florida got caught red handed, it was national news, desantis still doesn't give a gently caress)

but i will submit

420,000 cumulative us deaths

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

babypolis posted:

my worry is that the economic collpase will hurt a lot of people (and already is), potentially more than virus itself. but yeah its not really a situation where you can choose one over the other as pointed out before

it's sort of like saying "the blood loss will hurt a lot, potentially more than the gunshot wound itself"

you cannot separate the virus from our response to it, they are one and the same

the difference is that while we cannot legislate viruses out of existence, we can pass bills that give money to people who need it

instead of we gave hundreds of billions away to rich grifters

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

elon musk going full Qanon is no surprise after pedogate

but you know what IS surprising...

where the gently caress is kanye west? shouldn't he be running his mouth off about how COVID is a hoax designed to hurt christian america? what gives

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Marzzle posted:

elon is deffo illuminati while bill gates is deffo MJ12. elon's emerald riches origin story is extremely illuminati sounding

elon is a black oil demon, part of the trump/saudi arabia/putin petrodollar axis of evil

bill gates is a machine man, aligned with the bezos/brin/zuckerberg/clinton techlord faction

its all explained very clearly in Reza Negarestani's "cyclonopedia"

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

MoaM posted:

Grimes baby will be the first celebrity quarantine birth.

I'm excited for the twitch stream.

grimes got infected with elon's demon semen so she's unfortunately also dark goop, if she tears off that skin suit she's wearing its all just texas crude

but the evil oil doesn't transfer to babies (love and cuteness are its enemies) so there's a chance her bb could pull a moses on the whole thing, here's to hoping

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

Read some Camus.

He was a shitbag with no real answers.

extremely false my guy

"the plague" is incredible and should be required reading for this thread

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's like... Peru and Brasil? Like 17k in Chile? And nothing else? India somehow has only half China's cases despite putting in the absolute bare minimum effort instead of what China did, lock down the entire country and aggressive contact tracing.

Nah man, totally wrong.

India's response makes the USA look like poo poo. I would link to the article but I feel like nobody clicks hyperlinks anymore so I'll just take some screenshots and quotes.

quote:

Day by day, life under coronavirus lockdown in India took away something else, usually something good. And nearly six weeks into it, much of this country is still frozen.

In many cities like New Delhi, practically nothing is moving on the roads. People stay indoors, as instructed, emerging only to collect the basic necessities. One friend who gets his food delivered told me he hasn’t left his house for a month.

All the airlines are grounded. Schools and offices are closed. The only businesses that I’ve seen operating are food shops, pharmacies and banks. The banks have lines running out the door and down the sidewalk where red circles have been spray-painted for people to stand in, six feet apart, like little islands.

quote:

Whenever we turned off the highway, every village, no matter how small, was barricaded — some with oil drums, others with rope. Behind the barricades stood villagers carrying sticks to keep strangers out and wearing frayed bandannas over their faces, the virus vigilantes.

quote:

India seems to be doing better than many richer countries in containing the virus, at least so far. With reported infections relatively low, around 35,000, the government is trying to loosen the national tourniquet and reopen some industries, such as agriculture and select manufacturing.

But many Indians don’t want to take the tourniquet off, even if it is stanching the economy’s flow.

A good chunk of the population has decided that the best way to protect themselves is not only to stick to the lockdown rules, but to go above and beyond them, like the volunteer virus squads who sealed off entire villages. Even people in my Delhi neighborhood have become lockdown enthusiasts.

A few weeks ago when I biked with my two sons to the neighborhood milk depot — perfectly permissible under lockdown rules — someone leaned out a window and boomed: “Go home!”

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

I cannot exaggerate enough how much better "shithole" countries like India and Iraq are doing in comparison to the USA.

I have friends in both Baghdad and Dehli. They report that everybody is staying inside, everybody is afraid of the virus, they are banding together as a community because they know suffering is possible.

The psychological poison in countries like Sweden and the USA is born from some bizarre first-world hubris and it will be our undoing.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Google Butt posted:

well, the poors undoing at least

poor people in India literally wall off their villages and threaten outsiders with sharpened sticks because they don't want corona

poor people in america threaten (also poor) grocery store workers with violence because they are wearing a mask

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Grondoth posted:

This has not been my actual experience, I see everyone wearing masks everywhere there's other people and people being supportive and compliant. There's all sorts of stories of quiet heroism and respect that, in a normal functioning government, we'd be hearing about every day; like how Cuomo read that letter about the dude who donated a mask. Instead, we hear about a few lovely, lovely assholes that are being shoved into prominence because the only move Trump has, and thus the only move the right wing has, is to make everything into a culture war and start fights.

Most people don't do it, even if they vote republican. Even if they support Trump. But the people who do we hear about.

completely false, these "few lovely assholes" are literally affecting policy for entire towns, entire states, for millions of people

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1256572085507362821

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

maybe there's only a few of them but they have guns and they're in control because (and correct me if i'm wrong here) trump is president

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Grondoth posted:

I never said otherwise, I'm saying that most people aren't them. We're being dragged along to death because of these people because one of them is president

we're in agreement here but saying there are "more of us" is basically zizek's story about the dusty mongol balls

it doesn't matter who has numbers, it matters who has power

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

edit: nevermind i'm just getting emotional

COVID-420 has issued a correction as of 00:34 on May 3, 2020

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's cool that all these people are being driven utterly insane by having to stay at home for a few months not being able to abuse their minimum wage employees and servants

i don't think they're actually being driven insane or acting any differently than normal

i think they get pleasure from being a rude uncaring rear end in a top hat and this is just a great opportunity for them

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Charlz Guybon posted:

Death seem to be slowing down the last two weeks according to that, which seems odd since we have had a very consistent 30k a day getting infected for that whole period.

deaths are a lagging measure, about 1 week to 3 weeks behind confirmed infection. deaths also depend on testing.

testing stagnated for two solid weeks in mid april, check this chart and you'll see why deaths are stuck at 2k

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Cowpocalypse posted:

we're not going to have to imagine, this poo poo is definitely making a resurgence in the fall

it can't make a resurgence if it never went away

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

mrmcd posted:

I mean the planes are 95% empty and hepa air filtered right now so yeah, I guess so. 6ft is easy when you have 4 whole rows to yourself.

i don't think all the flights are empty

https://twitter.com/evankirstel/status/1255270175525527552

edit: in case anyone weirdly wants to defend the airlines here and say "it's just nyc" there are reports and videos of this happening on tons of routes

COVID-420 has issued a correction as of 19:34 on May 3, 2020

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

just peaked at the D&D thread and they're taking the D'souza tweet seriously, discussing the 30k death total, and spending pages talking about how "doomsayers" who say we won't have mass gatherings until a vaccine are the real problem

incredible stuff here people

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

rename thread "the shovelbum thread" imho

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

kaleedity posted:

reminder that the cdc is directly responsible for several outbreaks, especially the one in seattle, where cdc personnel entered a quarantine housing some of the country's first cases from a cruise ship in the Seattle area. After ignoring the quarantine and interacting with most of the infected, these personnel went to shops and restaurants in the seattle area for weeks and then flew back to atlanta/dc/ny

word in the international public health community is that CDC was absolutely gutted and trashed by the trump admin, more grifters and fools than real docs left over there

gently caress donald trump, gently caress fauci, gently caress birx, gently caress all of them

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

We are going to have less than a thousand reported deaths today and everything will be declared as over and we need to open more.

every single weekend...

but the reporting from red states is getting worse by the day. arizona and missouri have joined south carolina and florida in openly bullshitting their death counts.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

you're underselling it this poo poo is evil as gently caress

quote:

The Commission recommends that the President and the White House provide high-profile public education.

The Administration should continue regular briefings, as needed, to educate the public on the progress against the pandemic. With most people having been convinced that they are not safe unless they remain in their homes, it will be a challenge to convince them that they can now return to more normal social and economic activity. This is especially true because new cases will continue to be reported. This will be interpreted by some as the result of a retreat from needed measures to protect public health, including social distancing. People will need to be reassured that it is safe to work and patronize local businesses. Robust public education should include reinforcing Americans’ mutual responsibility and accountability to others through appropriate, targeted “social distancing” and other hygienic and nonpharmacologic interventions (NPI).

straight up lying to people about their safety so that applebees can meet its quarterlies

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

this is why its hopium, they think its within their control lol

lol good point i mean look at this stupid poo poo

quote:

The Commission recommends that Congress should take steps to advance permitting reform.

Many trades and good-paying jobs in America require permits and credentials that take hundreds of hours and many resources to obtain. At a time of great economic dislocation, we have to eliminate barriers to getting new jobs. Much work has been done on this topic over many years, and now is the time to complete it. We cannot allow people on the bubble to slip into dependence on government. We have to simplify the pathway back into the labor force, including to a skilled trade or other job that is currently walled off by nonsensical credentialing requirements. That means coordinating permitting requirements across jurisdictions and having express federal guidance that these should generally not be required or should be as minimally burdensome as possible.

yeah kushner, the key to fighting covid-19 is getting more scammers in the plumbing/electrician trades

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

NRG Stadium (pronounced as N-R-G Stadium), formerly Reliant Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium in Houston, Texas, United States. It was constructed at the cost of $352 million and has a seating capacity of 71,995

this is art and i love it

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://twitter.com/covidperspectiv/status/1257775773269651456?s=21

huh, this was one of my benchmarks for “things are kind of normal again”, Disney reopening parks

guess everything’s cool now :banjo:

shanghai my dude

my company has like 60 offices around the world, every single one is closed except shanghai and hong kong

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

incredible stuff fizfashizzle thank you for sharing

it doesn't sound like covid is making much of an impact honestly, things seem so bad that a global pandemic barely moves the needle

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

empty whippet box posted:

nice just in time to short circuit one of the strongest talking points shitlibs have for why we HAVE to support joe biden

doesn't really console me tbqh

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

might help to realize that there is no hope for the future and the supreme court being 7/7 ultra-maga-chud is a litearl 100% certainty

the US will never make progress on any issue ever again, i mean this completely literally

i mean this sincerely and not as a burn or a refutation of your statement: get help if you can, it's not good to live like this and i promise you don't have to

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

the gently caress are you talkin about bro im having a great time with covid-19, just because I have an accurate view of the future of the US doesn't mean you can armchair diagnose me with anything, dumbass

fair enough. i've suffered from depression and despondency my whole life and thought i recognized a fellow traveler.

i will say that responding to posts like "i'm worried about this" with stuff like "nothing will ever get better and the struggle is worthless" is pretty triggering or exacerbating from anyone who does suffer from those ailments but maybe expecting that level of pathos in this thread (or cspam) is stupid.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

shovelbum posted:

lmao at promoting good mental health when the mental health field is mostly about shoving people with anti crack-ping pills and sending them back to work as second class citizens

therapy and medication saved me from killing myself (2 attempts, none in five years) and i wish you wouldn't say stuff like this because it could really cause people to turn away lifesaving help

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

this pandemic is turning more of the world's population into Huge loving Assholes than the election of donald trump

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

2DCAT posted:

Wendy Burger not selling beef is like Tim Apple all of the sudden selling OrangeOS systems. This is GOD drat AMERICA :911:

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

i'm not going back to the office before its safe i make jack poo poo and they can eat my whole rear end i will literally die in the woods with my beans first

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

trump freaking out about the virus made me realize he's gonna get it soon enough.

he might be asymptomatic sure. maybe. maybe not.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

👀

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

i'm jewish and i placed an ancient Kabbalist hex on stephen miller for actively working to genocide the jewish ppl, cause wtf dude

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Trump Fact

8) He is CRAZY paranoid that people are intentionally trying to give him the virus (especially journalists). He's too dumb to think you can get it "naturally" (i think everything is part of some divine personal plan for trumpists, they're too narcissistic to think the world doesn't revolve around them) so it must be a conspiracy against him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

if anybody is like "HOW CAN BE A NAZI BUT JEWISH" i get it i really do but its actually really easy

being jewish doesnt actually mean anything for how your brain works, its just a label

and being a nazi isn't about loving aryans and hating olive skinned jewish ppl, it's about loving cruelty. it's about loving the boot on the face. that's miller.