Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that states and localities that are opening up now are making a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there any data comparing countries about which coronavirus deaths we're considered preventable? Like, deaths of people who were getting medical care but died anyway wouldn't be considered preventable in that way, but someone who died without ever getting treatment would.

I assume that on that stat, America completely blows away all the others even more so than the total number of cases.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So uh like for grade school are they just going to delay til Fall or do Summer school because thatd be weird for kids
When I was in elementary school the teachers went on strike for like 2 weeks and it felt like schoooooool's out for everrrrr at the time. I can't imagine how it feels to elementary school kids now

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A friend of a friend is a cop and is going to have to start evicting people like...today. I don't know what to say to my friend about it other than just I wish that it wasn't that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

snoo posted:

wish the cops would refuse to enforce evictions instead of refusing to enforce stay at home orders but hey
The cop is neither in a state nor a locality that has much sympathy for renters.

Edit: I don't know how this person feels about it personally but they will probably be under intense institutional pressure to go through it and say gently caress the renters, even at the risk to their own health.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 06:12 on May 1, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

got any sevens posted:

well i hope if your friend "just follows orders" then he dies of covid for his trouble before Nuremburg2 gets to him

also no states or localities really care about renters, not even the supposedly liberal seattle. thats not a good excuse
I don't have any excuses for this person. Only, I want to support my friend without saying that their friend is hurting people and themselves and it's hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

empty whippet box posted:

why the gently caress do you associate with cops you loving fascist bootlicker
You know how sometimes people grow up in super conservative situations but then move away and their opinions and stuff change, but they can't let go of their childhood friendships? It's one of those situations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's a warehouse fire the next town over that's been burning for like 36 hours now and there's eye-watering smoke outside. I guess that helps my resolve not to go out, even though Japan doesn't have mandatory restrictions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

I’m told half the people walking around in Tokyo still aren’t wearing masks?
I wouldn't know; I'm pretty far from Tokyo. Haven't been there in almost 2 years now except transiting through from an international flight.

Around here, I'd say 80% or so are wearing masks. The ones who aren't, I don't know if they just ran out or if they're just being obstinate. Some old folks are just refusing to adapt to either masks or social distancing.

The Abemasks haven't reached us yet, or at least I haven't gotten mine. It sounds like they're having trouble with the distribution, and either way the biggest cities are first priority.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've seen this analogy a lot recently except that if I'm remembering right, in that episode, the meteor wasn't a threat after all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do other countries have people getting in big groups protesting against the restrictions or is that just an American thing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

is opening up in the middle of a pandemic backfiring ?
He saw the number start to go down and I guess as a product of the Mississippi educational system, he thought that was good enough, right?

Edit: I guess I don't know if you were talking about Mississippi or not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't imagine a more succinct way to disrespect your grandparents' deaths.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

why the gently caress is the L in salmon silent?

gently caress you

gently caress every last limey

English sucks
Reading about it, it seems like it was saumon for most of English history but then they added in the silent l to make it look more like Latin.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In Japan almost everyone is wearing masks, but social distancing started up way later here and it really isn't in place yet, even when it would be easy to do (i.e. not in trains etc). I was at the cellphone shop the other day asking a question about a problem with my account, and the guy who was helping me was wearing a mask but also talking to me 3 inches from my face even though there was almost no one in the store. Eventually I just said I'm okay and left, without really having my question answered.

He was a young guy though. Usually when I get that it's from old guys.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Just just an incredible list of stuff that Americans are willing to shoot and get shot for.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trixie Hardcore posted:

You know a lot of people who get shot don't actually consent to it.
I definitely wasn't talking about them, but rather people walking around with guns and threatening the police over fast food restaurants being closed and stuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

snoo posted:

love to shoot children bc I'm angry about mcdonalds
Those kids are foot soldiers for the evil empire and I don't mean the McDonald's corporation or anything, but rather vague, shadowy government forces.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought skateboarding was not a crime?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I understand everything else but there's got to be some story behind "naval supremacy".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was reading a while ago about how customer service workers in America now have to be health workers too (though without appropriate training or pay of course), and with customers deliberately and sometimes violently working against their own health and the health of the people around them. It's completely hosed up madness but it's so American.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Everyone seems to be wearing masks, and people don't move around or talk much in airplanes, but everyone there shares either one or two armrests with another person, as far as touching the same surfaces.

And the bathrooms...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pead posted:

and the air is circulated for hours

edit: yeah this is kind of a dumb comment, but the air doesnt circulate all that well in planes so viruses spread really easily
Oh, I thought that the super dry air constantly being pumped in and out would be an impediment to the virus spread.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are masks just symbolic of the whole effort to control the virus, or is there something specific about masks themselves that are driving these people crazy?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

"open it up" and "maga" are the new "get 'er done" chants
What is it with idiots and catchphrases that they just can't help themselves
Well, it's easier on your brain then thinking.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It seems to me to be able to abuse customer service staff like that, not only would you have to have never worked that kind of job before, but none of your friends or family had either, or else you'd have empathy for them. Are there really so many people like that?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Jeez that's chilling. The history since that has been made has showed that indeed, Obama did push America too hard, but not for the reasons that says. Rather, just by being black and asking people to accept a black present was too much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

marmot25 posted:

https://twitter.com/nicksonsec/status/1260746591918608386

somebody do the lambeau leap but it’s it’s into the arms of the coffin dudes
I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable about going into a place like that again. Not just because of my health, or other people's health, but because my job and my co-workers jobs were threatened if any of us get it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

helta posted:

Say what?
One of my coworkers was suspected of having it, but came up negative. Before the test results came back though, we got emails from management that were basically "if they have it It would be bad for our PR and it would affect the future of your contracts".

I'm sure if it came to a legal issue they would deny that they were threatening all of our jobs because of a possible illness of even one of us, but threats are in the eye of the beholder and we definitely beheld a threat from the person who signs our paychecks.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 05:40 on May 14, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zeriel posted:

Take a photo of those emails with your phone just in case.
I've already made copies on my home PC, but I don't think they would do any good. Even though in Japan it's illegal as it is anywhere for employers to make hiring and firing decisions based on their employee's health (or personal life or heritage or family situation or whatever) it absolutely totally completely happens all the time and no one can do anything about it.

Edit: Not a literal screen picture though, so I guess I'll do that. Thanks for the advice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They're actually taking their responsibility as the self-proclaimed guardians of the holy mosque seriously?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ebola Roulette posted:

Do people just not have survival instincts anymore?
Against things they can see, yeah. Everything else requires conscious thought.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Al-Saqr posted:

Imagine pulling out a loving gun at a loving PUBLIX looool Like you know you've lost the game of life if it led you to that.
Who was it a while ago, I think in this thread, who posted something to the effect that for some people, consumerism is citizenship? If that's true, absolutely everything makes sense.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't think America's ever going to overcome this basic, opposite world relationship between what strength means and what weakness means.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The idea that you could be sick and other people could be at risk from you is unthinkable to these people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had no idea that a few months of poor sales (and not at a peak time of the year I assume) was all that stood between a company like JCPenney and bankruptcy.

Edit: I guess JCPenney itself was limping to begin with though.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 00:21 on May 16, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Of all the people whose consumerism has been lately reduced by the epidemic, I wonder how many of them are thinking "huh, I guess I really just didn't need to go buy things all the time" compared to "oh God I've got to go out and buy more things as soon as possible".

I mean, all the worst news from America is the latter, but surely there's a lot of the former too.

Unrelated to any of that, my New year's resolution was to not go shopping on weekends just for the hell of it and the current situation sure accelerated that change.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Churches were temporarily undecided about whether they wanted their partitioners to die, but then made a tentative decision against it.

Edit: today marks the third straight week of no confirmed new cases in this prefecture, but they're still being selective about who gets tested so who knows. I'm on the subway now and there's a few people here and there without masks but most people are still keeping precautions as much as they can.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 02:30 on May 20, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

They thought god would protect them
Deep down though, did they really believe God was going to keep money in the collection plates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are there statistically fewer out of work GOP voters applying for unemployment help, or is it about the same? Or is it more? I've wondered that from time to time.